This is the way to determine who is winning the generation.

• 52 results
#1 Edited by arkephonic (6284 posts) -

You have 3 primary categories to satisfy everyone's needs.

Best Games

Best Hardware/Price Point

Best Sales

So the games are the most important category for the gamers, whereas sales are the most important for the companies, however both are important and combine to decide the winner of the generation. The best hardware/price point is a win win for both the companies and consumers. For companies, their ultimate goal is to increase their install base because most of their revenue will come through software sales. For us as consumers, we get to enjoy good hardware for cheaper than it actually costs to manufacture because they're selling at a loss.

I award the best games to the Nintendo Wii U and it wins this pretty easily. Super Mario 3D World, New Super Mario Bros U, New Super Luigi U, Pikmin 3, Mario Kart 8, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Smash Bros, Wind Waker HD, the Xbox One and PS4 don't even come close right now.

Best hardware and price point goes to the PS4. I don't think anyone wasn't a little surprised at the $399 announcement at E3.

Best sales goes to PS4 obviously at the moment, with Wii U doing better with Mario Kart 8 out but not nearly as good as PS4.

Right now, the system I'd recommend most is Wii U because it has the most games. Games are the most important thing to consumers which is who I'd be making the recommendation to. However, the winner is PS4 right now as a whole because they are dominating sales and have the best hardware/price point with at least a promise of future games to come.

#2 Posted by lostrib (36179 posts) -

blog it

#3 Posted by Snugenz (11871 posts) -

@lostrib said:

blog it

And don't share the link.

#4 Edited by clyde46 (46046 posts) -
#5 Edited by lostrib (36179 posts) -

@Snugenz said:

@lostrib said:

blog it

And then drop a titan on it

#6 Posted by parkurtommo (26795 posts) -

PC wins because PC.

#7 Posted by AzatiS (7550 posts) -

Sales makes winners sadly.

#8 Posted by bezza2011 (2449 posts) -

I think your still forgetting that it's taken the Wii U near 2 years to even get close to bringing out a new AAA game, I mean were still waiting for a new Mario, not a rehash version of the old even if it is 3D and were still waiting on smash bros, HD remake of WindWaker isn't particularly a pulling point, I'm still waiting for a new Zelda, PS4 and Xbox One are a little over 10months and there game libraries are growing quicker than Wii U's did and next year is huge, they all have good points and bad points,

#9 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (25198 posts) -

WiiU does have the best games, but the PS4 is the clear winner because it has The Games, It has the Sales, and it has the Hardware to back itself up.

Developers are fawning over it and Gamers are just drooling at the thought of the PS4.

This is Cowspace now gentlemen and We only have the PC Gamers to keep them in their Barn.

#10 Edited by AzatiS (7550 posts) -
@arkephonic said:

Best Games

Best Sales

So the games are the most important category for the gamers, whereas sales are the most important for the companies, however both are important and combine to decide the winner of the generation. The best hardware/price point is a win win for both the companies and consumers. For companies, their ultimate goal is to increase their install base because most of their revenue will come through software sales. For us as consumers, we get to enjoy good hardware for cheaper than it actually costs to manufacture because they're selling at a loss.

I award the best games to the Nintendo Wii U and it wins this pretty easily. Super Mario 3D World, New Super Mario Bros U, New Super Luigi U, Pikmin 3, Mario Kart 8, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Smash Bros, Wind Waker HD, the Xbox One and PS4 don't even come close right now.

Best hardware and price point goes to the PS4. I don't think anyone wasn't a little surprised at the $399 announcement at E3.

Best sales goes to PS4 obviously at the moment, with Wii U doing better with Mario Kart 8 out but not nearly as good as PS4.

Right now, the system I'd recommend most is Wii U because it has the most games. Games are the most important thing to consumers which is who I'd be making the recommendation to. However, the winner is PS4 right now as a whole because they are dominating sales and have the best hardware/price point with at least a promise of future games to come.

Dont start again with this crap of statement .... It doesnt has the MOST games and if games are the most important thing to consumers , which i agree 100% , then Wii U missing 95% of those awesome third party titles that are currently out which are AA/AAA caliber games. Why everyone bypassing all those great 3rd party titles that Wii U missing like it doesnt matter ? Dont get it.

So go to metacritic and see how many Wii U games are above 80+ , then go look PS4s. Its the same amount of games with a small difference between all 3 consoles even if Wii U is 2 years old almost and PS4 9 months.

So Wii U has NOT the most games , actually its missing alot of awesome games. Wii U has more exclusives out with 2 of them being 2 of their most popular franchises. Thats all about it . Logical to me though after 2 years in the market. Do you think PS4 in 2 years wont have any big gun out ?

So Wii U wins the exclusive war because of those 2 games right now but losing totally the 3rd party war. The gap will be getting bigger and bigger as PS4/X1 get older while way more third party AA/AAA caliber games get a release and eventually , sooner or later , will catch up with exclusives for sure.

This Wii U has more games generalization needs to stop ... 3rd party games are ALSO games and are AWESOME games. And yes , Wii U missing them almost all.

#11 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7178 posts) -

I think your still forgetting that it's taken the Wii U near 2 years to even get close to bringing out a new AAA game, I mean were still waiting for a new Mario, not a rehash version of the old even if it is 3D and were still waiting on smash bros, HD remake of WindWaker isn't particularly a pulling point, I'm still waiting for a new Zelda, PS4 and Xbox One are a little over 10months and there game libraries are growing quicker than Wii U's did and next year is huge, they all have good points and bad points,

Still waiting on a new Last of Us. Still waiting on a new Gears. Still waiting on a new Halo. Still Waiting on a new Uncharted. I mean, we're still waiting for a new Forza, not a rehash version of the old even if it is 1080p and we're still waiting on a new God of War.

#13 Posted by KungfuKitten (20988 posts) -

If you can play its library somewhere else for less, and have it be better, then you should automatically lose.

@AzatiS said:
@arkephonic said:

Best Games

Best Sales

Dont start again with this crap of statement .... It doesnt has the MOST games and if games are the most important thing to consumers , which i agree 100% , then Wii U missing 95% of those awesome third party titles that are currently out which are AA/AAA caliber games. Why everyone bypassing all those great 3rd party titles that Wii U missing like it doesnt matter ? Dont get it.

So go to metacritic and see how many Wii U games are above 80+ , then go look PS4s. Its the same amount of games with a small difference between all 3 consoles even if Wii U is 2 years old almost and PS4 9 months.

So Wii U has NOT the most games , actually its missing alot of awesome games. Wii U has more exclusives out with 2 of them being 2 of their most popular franchises. Thats all about it . Logical to me though after 2 years in the market. Do you think PS4 in 2 years wont have any big gun out ?

So Wii U wins the exclusive war because of those 2 games right now but losing totally the 3rd party war. The gap will be getting bigger and bigger as PS4/X1 get older while way more third party AA/AAA caliber games get a release and eventually , sooner or later , will catch up with exclusives for sure.

This Wii U has more games generalization needs to stop ... 3rd party games are ALSO games and are AWESOME games. And yes , Wii U missing them almost all.

You don't have a PC?

#14 Posted by clyde46 (46046 posts) -

WiiU does have the best games, but the PS4 is the clear winner because it has The Games, It has the Sales, and it has the Hardware to back itself up.

Developers are fawning over it and Gamers are just drooling at the thought of the PS4.

This is Cowspace now gentlemen and We only have the PC Gamers to keep them in their Barn.

The PS4 has games? This is news to me.

#15 Posted by edwardecl (2239 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@Snugenz said:

@lostrib said:

blog it

Then drop a water cooled PC on it

#16 Edited by 7MDMA (314 posts) -
#17 Edited by The_Last_Ride (71385 posts) -

sales do it imho

#18 Posted by slim70 (381 posts) -

Best Games

Best Sales

Get the fuck out! How about adding a few more categories that actually matter to gamers like; most features, best online network and most frequent and fastest updates? No because then that would favor the X1 right? Yeah that's right we don't want any of that. It's better to stick with categories that favor the PS4; btw, best games is subjective and therefore should not even be a category.

#19 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (25198 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

The PS4 has games? This is news to me.

If we're not Metagaming then yeah, it does.

#20 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7346 posts) -

Sales are what determine who wins a generation. Sales are not subjective. Best games are subjective. Hardware power is irrelevant. Price point is irrelevant.

#21 Posted by clone01 (24677 posts) -
#22 Edited by WilliamRLBaker (28382 posts) -

So ark you are now confirming that the xbox 360 destroyed the ps3 last generation then?

Because the 360 had more sales, had more game sales, had more games, had more high scoring games....We could also debate better hardware considering the fact the 360 had more 720p games than the ps3 If one uses the beyond3d list.

*since all that matters to sheens is resolution this generation it seems*

#23 Posted by jg4xchamp (47943 posts) -

System with the least amount of games winning best games argument? I see we are rewarding mediocrity.

#24 Edited by remiks00 (1825 posts) -

I disagree TC.

#25 Posted by ShoTTyMcNaDeS (2059 posts) -

Would you care to list the games now available for the PS4 that can't be played on X1, PS3 or PC? Wait let me....Resogun, KZSF, Knack and Infamous! Yeah, those make me want to rush out and buy a PS4!!

#26 Posted by Krelian-co (10715 posts) -

So ark you are now confirming that the xbox 360 destroyed the ps3 last generation then?

Because the 360 had more sales, had more game sales, had more games, had more high scoring games....We could also debate better hardware considering the fact the 360 had more 720p games than the ps3 If one uses the beyond3d list.

*since all that matters to sheens is resolution this generation it seems*

and then you woke up and realize ps3 won even when 360 had a year of headstart and ps3 was $600, and won most gotys.

#27 Edited by Gamerno6666 (1104 posts) -
#28 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (2057 posts) -
#29 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (6886 posts) -

Nice story. Tell it to Readers Digest!

#30 Edited by DEadliNE-Zero0 (2057 posts) -

@arkephonic said:

Best Sales

Who the fuck cares about sales besides the companies? Better hardware, price, features, games, yeah.

Who gives a shit if you sold 50 million units, if the division of the company still ended up in the red? That's the loss leader strategy. Consoles used to be sold at a loss to gain market share and regain it via software sales.

If MS or Sony's divisions are operating at a full loss, i'm pretty sure having 100 million would mean jack shit to them.

This past quarter, Sony's game division is now making a profit aswell as the PS4 itself. The XB1 is also makign a profit, but the division is losing money.

And since both next gen potatos are selling fast and well, they'll both end up with a large install base years from now.

Sales wars. Even in gaming, only morons play them.

#31 Posted by RR360DD (11803 posts) -

Ah, glad arkephonic has finally recognised the 360 as the clear winner last gen.

Anyway, the Wii U does not win in games. I feel really sorry for anyone who went out and bought a WiiU as their primary console. It just misses out on far too much.

#32 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25660 posts) -

Salezzz is how it's decided, like it or not. Biggest/best games library is often a by-product of having the biggest install base (Shut up last gen, you don't count).

#33 Posted by cainetao11 (17420 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@Snugenz said:

@lostrib said:

blog it

LOL that's funny doo doo

#34 Posted by mems_1224 (47012 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@Snugenz said:

@lostrib said:

blog it

Lostrib with the ether lol

#35 Edited by speedfreak48t5p (7472 posts) -

System with the least amount of games winning best games argument? I see we are rewarding mediocrity.

This is system wars, where fanboys come to troll, but mostly cows.

#36 Posted by Krelian-co (10715 posts) -

@RR360DD said:

Ah, glad arkephonic has finally recognised the 360 as the clear winner last gen.

Anyway, the Wii U does not win in games. I feel really sorry for anyone who went out and bought a WiiU as their primary console. It just misses out on far too much.

As delusional as always

360 and ps3 ended with almost the same sales (we don't know who is winning right now) and since ps3 started a year later and was sold at $600, i think it pretty much won sales

Games? lets just check which one has the best games, just look at the gotys of this gen. How many 360 have? oh right gears of war, the only year ps3 wasn't even out.

Wii > Ps3 > 360

#dealwithit

#37 Posted by Prawephet (300 posts) -

@lostrib: Stop trying to make Titanfall a thing. It's never going to be a thing. Even the developers are done supporting it and it just came out.

#38 Posted by Cloud_imperium (2993 posts) -
#39 Posted by GTSaiyanjin2 (5890 posts) -

If you look at the big picture, no one really won lastgen. Nintendo,Sony, and MS all had their flaws, I would not declare any of them truly successful. You can always just blindly look at which sold the most, I'm sure that works for most people.

#40 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28382 posts) -

It really is just insane how Sheen's are incapable of standing ground or keeping their word, as I said in reality going by Arks new metric for game console success the xbox 360 obliterated the ps3 last generation....but no its no longer valid now those metrics can only apply this generation and specifically to the ps4....try to apply them to any other system and we'll have sheen's bububbubububub'ing about how no no the metric has changed, the goal post has moved.

#41 Edited by Netret0120 (2093 posts) -

PC/PS4

That is the real winner. Multiplats on PC. Uncharted, The order and more on PS4.

#42 Posted by Alcapello (916 posts) -

There is only one way to determing who winning, knowing.

#43 Posted by Caseytappy (2133 posts) -

@AzatiS said:

Sales makes winners sadly.

That´s a goal post Cows tried to move almost a whole generation ........until this new one started that is .

#44 Posted by RR360DD (11803 posts) -

@RR360DD said:

As delusional as always

360 and ps3 ended with almost the same sales (we don't know who is winning right now) and since ps3 started a year later and was sold at $600, i think it pretty much won sales

Games? lets just check which one has the best games, just look at the gotys of this gen. How many 360 have? oh right gears of war, the only year ps3 wasn't even out.

Wii > Ps3 > 360

#dealwithit

360. More sales.

360. More highly rated games.

Fact.

#dealwithit

#45 Posted by Krelian-co (10715 posts) -

@RR360DD said:

@Krelian-co said:

@RR360DD said:

As delusional as always

Wii > Ps3 > 360

#dealwithit

360. More sales.

Fact.

#dealwithit

BS are not facts, keep that denial up-

#46 Posted by RR360DD (11803 posts) -

@RR360DD said:

@Krelian-co said:

@RR360DD said:

As delusional as always

Wii > Ps3 > 360

#dealwithit

360. More sales.

Fact.

#dealwithit

BS are not facts, keep that denial up-

LOL arguing with the facts.

Not surprising

#47 Edited by tormentos (17801 posts) -

Who the fuck cares about sales besides the companies? Better hardware, price, features, games, yeah.

Who gives a shit if you sold 50 million units, if the division of the company still ended up in the red? That's the loss leader strategy. Consoles used to be sold at a loss to gain market share and regain it via software sales.

If MS or Sony's divisions are operating at a full loss, i'm pretty sure having 100 million would mean jack shit to them.

This past quarter, Sony's game division is now making a profit aswell as the PS4 itself. The XB1 is also makign a profit, but the division is losing money.

And since both next gen potatos are selling fast and well, they'll both end up with a large install base years from now.

Sales wars. Even in gaming, only morons play them.

It matter in some ways,for example not all developers have big budget to make games,if a developer is running low on cash and 1 platforms alone can survive the platform with bigger user base will probably get the game,also is harder for developer to give exclusive in this case to MS when sony has double the user base.

In that regard it matter a little.

@RR360DD said:

360. More sales.

Fact.

#dealwithit

Not sure about those sales...

And more highly rated games certainly not either..

#48 Posted by Sonicplys (2488 posts) -

Of course Wii win over Portstation 4 and PortBox One. Best games right now.

#49 Posted by HernandeZzzz (300 posts) -

More sales = winning.

Deal with it...

#50 Posted by lamprey263 (23620 posts) -

I think some combo of its console sales and it's game sales are a bigger indicator, saying which console has better games is a quibbling point of its own.