This is delightful

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

No hate, no obligatory forced thing to make it SW worthy, just all around good feels.

Sure it's a sappy ass video, but it's the good kind of sappy, the kind of sappy I like to think we can all get behind to a certain extent. So this thread is simple, it's as easy can be: why do you game?

Why is it that after the recent political shit, or the dumbing down of games, or this indie movement, or publishers trying to butt **** us, or what have you, what is it that continues to get you to still playing video games. Do you still love em, or are they just a time kill these days?

I'll keep mine simple in that initial when I was a kid it was escapism for me, and as I grew older it became about being a student of games in a way. In the sense that I love breaking down a game, getting to know the psychology and design philosophy of how a game is made up, and how it becomes nuanced and satisfying. It's why I gravitate more towards games built around expression and deeper gameplay systems as I grow older, as opposed to being turned away by the learning curve. Though you know Mario is still dope.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#2 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

A lot of politics around video games has very little to do with the games themselves.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3  Edited By Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

I love how engaging games can be. It's way to kill time while having fun, being social, and like you general escapism.

Sure there are some bad games out there. But I don't shy away from something that just seems it can be fun to me .

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

Has MGS. MGS is a movie. The video is thus invalid.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45061 Posts

Nice vid man, didn't know you were a female

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#8 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

It's honestly hard to describe why I play video games. I look at elements of the industry and find myself disgusted with a lot of it, but when it comes to the games I've made it. I've escaped to the worlds that the games want me to explore and I'm content, I'm happy.

Exploring the enormous fields in Xenoblade, courting the girls of Persona 4 Golden, challenging my friends in Smash Bros, facing off against hordes of enemies as the Master Chief as the music swells, and vanquishing Ganon after the trails of an epic journey, these are all memories that stay with me and I enjoyed so much when playing.

I wish I could find the words to describe it better. It's euphoric; I'm relaxed when playing games (unless you're difficult like Demon's Souls or crap like Jak 2.) And a hobby filled with so much negativity lately deserves to have more positive conversations. Thanks for the video; hearing the Chrono Trigger melody mixed with seeing those cartridges brought on a lot of feels and put me in the mood to play some more!

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jg4xchamp

@SolidGame_basic said:

the femalest

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

Some games are merely time killers (mobile, puzzle and the like) while others can be engrossing experiences that let you escape this world for a brief period of time. I often find myself so completely immersed in games like MGS, Fallout, TES, Biosock etc that I become the character I am controlling within each virtual world. Those are the best games IMO.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

Gaming is a part of me. Its something iv done since I was a kid. Its something iv bonded with friends and my even my grandmother. I dont see it as just my hobby. I see it as who I am. I even like to express my opinion on why I enjoy or dont enjoy the games iv played. I know that may sound corny or even sad to some people but I dont care. I know what gaming is to me and I will keep on gaming till the end of time.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#12 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

In my early days of childhood I basically only played Nintendo stuff (probably the best way to start). So, lots of solid, good games, and a lot of addiction.

I now have a love hate situation with games. But either way, I'm fully invested. Like 100%. I play games, I make games (not directly though), I try to criticize, and defend games. When not in a social, "normal" environment, I'm constantly thinking about vidoe games. :P

And yeah, that video is sappy as ****.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45061 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

the femalest

lol, in all seriousness, I play different games for different reasons. sometimes I need something competitive (am competitive person), sometimes I really like an epic journey, sometimes I'm just bored. I think when games are done right, they really can be art.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

fun, kinda social. hard to explain. i have other hobbies too.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 RoboCopISJesus
Member since 2004 • 2225 Posts

IWHI

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

i game because i am bored and have nothing better to do

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jg4xchamp

@CrownKingArthur said:

like long walks on the beach?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I didn't understand. I put my Vodka shot down. I flexed at the screen, I shaved my beard and re-watched the video, but I couldn't understand the message. "Bah!" My lady told me to shut up since I was screaming at the screen.

Then I "borrowed" some estrogen pills I found and proceeded to re-watch the vid one more time. I got it! I cried. It all became clear. It touched my heart. Thank you for posting this.

Then I ate lunch and I cried. There was no more ketchup. I'm getting ready to watch Dirty Dancing again with my lady while eating chocolate ice cream (with Rocky Road) and hope I feel better in a few hours.

I'll say this, I'll take this over any stupid political agenda/gaming bull-crap any day of the week.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

@funsohng said:

no its the best game of all time. bitch.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jg4xchamp

@SolidTy said:

Then I ate lunch and I cried. There was no more ketchup.

Third worst food related feeling next to pouring a bowl of cereal, and finding out there is no milk in the fridge...or the worst, the cookie trap.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SolidTy

@jg4xchamp said:

@SolidTy said:

Third worst food related feeling next to pouring a bowl of cereal, and finding out there is no milk in the fridge...or the worst, the cookie trap.

Ah, the near-rage I feel after pouring my cereal in a bowl, grabbing a spoon, and then finding out there is very little/no more milk. Or worse, someone put an empty milk jug back in the fridge!

Oh, the cookie Trap...hahaha.

While I'm here, I want to give a shout out to the person who uses the Toilet Paper up last and then doesn't do a refill.

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 CrownKingArthur
@jg4xchamp said:

@CrownKingArthur said:

i had to give that up.

i made that little remark because ... well ... i'm not gaming as much as i used to. its not necessarily because i enjoy it less, if anything - thanks to my 144 Hz monitor my enjoyment these days reaches new levels.

but i just can't play games the whole day long any more. When I was just a little boy i could play gran turismo for 6 hrs. these days 2 hrs of solid gaming is fucking plenty, even if i'm having tonnes of fun, i'll want to get up and do something else - even if it's raining outside.

my other hobbies are guitar, gym, plant cultivation, motorcycles, cars. that's all i can think of for now. tool's jerk off is a good song.

but yeah i like discussion like this but with it being kinda arbitrary i don't know what to volunteer.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

@CrownKingArthur said:

I enjoy long walks to the kitchen.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SolidTy

@parkurtommo said:

@jg4xchamp said:

@CrownKingArthur said:

Naw, I got a mini-fridge next to my lazyboy recliner chair. No time for them exercises to the fridge. I gotta Kinect, I'm sure I'll lose weight with it instead.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

This thread is too happy and people are all nice. This is not how SW is supposed to be.

I feel like i have to do a combo breaker, here I go:

I am a gamer. I dont need no silly woman trying to pretend like she knows what gaming is about. Gaming is for us dude bros. Im tired of these fake gamer girls trying to shove their feminist agenda down our throat.

there we go, now we can start arguing and bashing each other about some non sense.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#26  Edited By Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I grew up with gaming. One of my earliest memories was gaming on my NES and Gameboy. I just enjoy it immensely. I grew up in a neighborhood with not a lot of kids, so games were my way to have fun, especially during the summer.

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 CrownKingArthur
@SolidTy said:

@parkurtommo said:

@jg4xchamp said:

@CrownKingArthur said:

Naw, I got a mini-fridge next to my lazyboy recliner chair. No time for them exercises to the fridge. I gotta Kinect, I'm sure I'll lose weight with it instead.

maybe the next step is to game inside of a walk-in fridge

target demographic - wheelchair bound overclockers

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

@SolidTy said:

Milk is disgusting you eat need to eat your cereal raw, straight from the wheat field.

I think the excitement of something different brings me to games still although I should probably start expanding my horizons in some other areas after I finish this damn 52 games in one year challenge.

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 CrownKingArthur
@Minishdriveby said:

@jg4xchamp said:

@SolidTy said:

Milk is disgusting you eat need to eat your cereal raw, straight from the wheat field.

are you mammalian?

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Who the hell are you and what have you done with champ?

smashed_pinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 smashed_pinata
Member since 2005 • 3747 Posts

@SolidTy said:

@jg4xchamp said:

@SolidTy said:

Ah, the near-rage I feel after pouring my cereal in a bowl, grabbing a spoon, and then finding out there is very little/no more milk. Or worse, someone put an empty milk jug back in the fridge!

Oh, the cookie Trap...hahaha.

While I'm here, I want to give a shout out to the person who uses the Toilet Paper up last and then doesn't do a refill.

Why aren't you noobs checking to see if you have milk FIRST before pouring a bowl? Amateurs.

On topic: I game because it's fun. Honestly, that's the only reason. I love all games/systems if they can gimme dat positive rustle in my jimmies.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

Great video. Gets to the feels.

Been a gamer most of my life. earliest memory is Super Mario World with dad. the simple escapism and the worlds that a game can take you through keep me invested in the pastime.

I'll tend to gravitate towards games of skill, something to keep pushing me toward that one more try, though i obviously wouldn't still be here if discussion and digging into games didn't interest me either.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

@funsohng said:

no its the mediocre film of all time. bitch.

fixed.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Minishdriveby

@CrownKingArthur said:
@Minishdriveby said:

@jg4xchamp said:

@SolidTy said:

are you mammalian?

Mammalian enough to know how disgusting milk is.

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 CrownKingArthur

@Minishdriveby: i don't know about the rest of the gang, but for me - that was incredibly funny. well done!

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

I probably love gaming now more than ever because its the only hobby I have left that I can actually do. Always loved gaming as a kid but didn't really play many games from 06-09 because I was starting to get bored and I had college/work. Then I suddenly had a ton of free time on my hands and started to try newer and weirder games I would never usually try and its reignited my love of games. I love the indie movement the last few years, so much weird and interesting shit.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jg4xchamp

@Minishdriveby said:

@jg4xchamp said:

@SolidTy said:

I think the excitement of something different brings me to games still although I should probably start expanding my horizons in some other areas after I finish this damn 52 games in one year challenge.

No ,cereal without the milk is disgusting.

Cheerios can hang without milk, but the fun cereals? no, **** that.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Minishdriveby

@jg4xchamp said:

@Minishdriveby said:

@jg4xchamp said:

@SolidTy said:

No ,cereal without the milk is disgusting.

Cheerios can hang without milk, but the fun cereals? no, **** that.

The fun cereal doesn't need udder juice fucking up the party. They're the fun cereal for a reason; they don't need an addition to be fun.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#40 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

My reasons have remained constant since bugging my older brothers to let me play Pong with them: entertainment. I don't get up in my head or philosophical about them. I don't break them down into these different parts. I don't compete with others all that much. I wish to be entertained by the stories they tell and my being an active part of them. That's about it.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

awesome video. i game because just like a good book or movie, i enjoy escapism from this depressing, unfair and fucked up world.

which_wich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#42 which_wich
Member since 2014 • 189 Posts
Loading Video...

The psychological dynamics behind why people game are actually quite simple. In a video game, your character is there and you're in full control of him/her/it. The plot is defined, the worlds are there and created and controlled, the story, the other characters...they're all designated to serve specific purpose(s) and you know what those purposes are. Everything is clear and it's all under control. Video games provide the illusion of control. The reason why people smoke is similar to why people game. When you smoke you're saying "Hey, I know this is bad for me, but I'm choosing to inflict it upon myself, as opposed to the other things that are bad for me that still happen regardless of whether I choose them or not". It's all to provide one with the illusion of being in control.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

I played them growing up because they were magic. Granted I read a lot more when I was kid (mostly due to parents not really understanding video games and restricting me from them) but anytime I could get those pixels going and hear those little chiptunes I was always entranced. I cared nothing for pacing, longer games were the best, video game stories like Metal Gear Solid blew my mind and I could spend hours stuck on an area/boss fight/w.e and not feel bored or frustrated.

Now it's more about solid experiences and pacing to me when my schedule crunches down on me. If I get stuck in any one area for more than a few minutes I'm tempted to look up a walkthrough. I'm a lot more critical of level design in video games and while I'll always rep them I tend to stay away from longer RPGs. I just started playing Majora's Mask today for the first time today and I'm forcing myself to discover it all on my own.

I also consider myself somewhat of a student of video games now. I used to never pay attention to fighting games or any kind of strategy games but lately all I want to do is perfect my game on those. Figuring out macros, perfecting that frame by frame combo, building a knowledge of all units and moves so I can recognize exactly what they do the moment I see them. I have no problem watching 20 minute + videos on fundamentals and practicing against AI.

There was definitely more magic and wonder involved growing up but I think I'm having just as much fun, if not more, by turning games into a competitive thing instead of just looking for the next big hit or undiscovered gem.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I love watching speedruns now. There's just something about mastery of a game that enthralls me now.

SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SambaLele
Member since 2004 • 5552 Posts

Fun and good stories. Fun in gaming can be had in an undetermined number of ways, it's simply amazing. And the level of creativity always managed to amaze, from the simplest to the most complex of gameplay mechanics or art-styles. Much like music... but sometimes even better, since music is actually a part of it.

Maybe games are meant to be the ultimate form of art. This is a strong case for defending freedom of speech and freedom for devs to be creative and adhere to their vision, letting the audience tell them with their wallets if the products are good or not.

UnbiasedPoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 UnbiasedPoster
Member since 2013 • 1134 Posts

I love games. They are the best.

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts

I love games, they have shown me more things than any other medium has been able to show me.

• They have Transported me to new worlds.
  • They have allowed me to meet new and interesting characters.
  • They gave me a driving force to learn how to read and write.
  • I learned the importance of planning ahead and keeping notes (Screw you world maps of Sword of Vermillion forget lanterns I drew my own damn maps!)
  • They brought out the inner artist in me
  • I've met hundreds if not thousands of people who share my interests that I would have never been able to meet otherwise
  • They let me connect with my brother with who other than video games have little in common
  • They entertain me when I'm bored
  • Some stories cheer me up when I'm sad
  • Some stories are so sobering they make me sad!

I could go on forever but video games are in my blood, I grew up with them and I will probably die with them. They are at the core of who I am as a person, I would be a different person if I didn't play video games as they played a huge part in how I grew as a person (Into a psychotic serial killer of course...but not yet...soon....soon.) I love the industry with all it's quirks, I want people to accept games as they are.

All this political drama over things like feminism has it's place but they are playing a dangerous game with something I hold dear to my heart. If anything video games have been the most inclusive media in years but of course it's just easy to pick out the worst offenders and hang them on a cross. Each form of art has had this phase where people try and put it on display to show how corrupt new things in the world have become and try to keep us in the dark ages. Video games has had the longest haul though (Well at least we haven't had any game burnings! at least...that I know of.) Let's just hope this stuff blows over sooner than later. The feminists can have their day in the sun, women have every right to be treated equal and I'd be happy to have any woman as my P2 anyday.

The magic of any art and especially games as a interactive medium. The game doesn't judge you based on your race/gender/sexual orientation. It's just a game.

gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#47 gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

Games show us something unknowable it has to be felt in the gameplay. Its like frying balls and playing a musical instrument. You realize its playing you and some unconscious digital love making is going on under the deluge of audio-visual fx. It's nature, baby.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I play games for the interactions, and because I'd rather spend time playing them than watching most tv shows and movies.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

Why is it that after the recent political shit, or the dumbing down of games, or this indie movement, or publishers trying to butt **** us, or what have you, what is it that continues to get you to still playing video games.

Simple.

I avoid all that.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

Video is so annoyingly twee and cloying I couldn't watch it.