This guy says that M$ should acquire Nvidia

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Gue1 (10192 posts) -

can you imagine if that happened? M$ already has a huge monopoly with Windows and if they did that... OMG... I don't even want to think about it... There must be some kind of law that blocks M$ from doing something like this.

http://www.informationweek.com/windows/microsoft-news/watch-for-microsoft-to-acquire-nokia-nvi/240062631

#2 Posted by GamerwillzPS (8530 posts) -

Lol.

Nvidia would die if that happens. Microsoft is just the cancer of virtually everything.

#3 Posted by Badosh (12733 posts) -
Glorious.
#4 Posted by Riadon2 (1609 posts) -

Nvidia + MS = No buy

AMD for me if that happens.

#5 Posted by Mr_BillGates (3186 posts) -

Dat Korean owner will never sell, as stated before.

#6 Posted by ronvalencia (15129 posts) -

can you imagine if that happened? M$ already has a huge monopoly with Windows and if they did that... OMG... I don't even want to think about it... There must be some kind of law that blocks M$ from doing something like this.

http://www.informationweek.com/windows/microsoft-news/watch-for-microsoft-to-acquire-nokia-nvi/240062631

Gue1
NVIDIA's "dear leader" would want to be the CEO i.e. one of the key stumbling block with AMD's takeover.
#7 Posted by ronvalencia (15129 posts) -

Dat Korean owner will never sell, as stated before.

Mr_BillGates
Jen-Hsun Huang is not Korean.
#8 Posted by PernicioEnigma (5387 posts) -
That would be a disaster.
#9 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -
I would stop supporting Nvidia and jump ship to AMD.
#10 Posted by crusadernm (1609 posts) -

Doesn't bother me in the least. If Nvidia is able to provide a great performance card that more affordable than AMD, then I will go with nvidia. I vote with my wallet.

#11 Posted by gamebreakerz__ (5120 posts) -
It seems logical but MS has never shown any serious desire to acquire large PC hardware companies.
#12 Posted by Shatilov (4097 posts) -
This aint gonna happen, Nvidia wont accept this.
#13 Posted by McStrongfast (4271 posts) -
He dollaraydollar Microdollaroft idollar in a podollarition to buy Nvidia and adollardollarumedollar that the didollarcudollardollarion idollar at leadollart taking place.
#14 Posted by McStrongfast (4271 posts) -
Either way it sounds like bogus to me. I'm no doctor though.
#15 Posted by NoodleFighter (7086 posts) -

NOOOO TAKE AMD INSTEAD THEY'RE GOING DOWN ANYWAY

#16 Posted by PCgameruk (1425 posts) -

M$ clearly shows no interest in PC gaming. But then again. M$ does show interest in smaller things:P If this xbox tablet is true, Nvidia's tegra would be a good buy.

#17 Posted by kuraimen (28078 posts) -
That would be pretty anticompetitive so I'm sure M$ would love to do it.
#18 Posted by starjet905 (1936 posts) -
exactly! they have a history of hardware marketing failure. There is another product that I don't remember its name now. It's a computer game device and its name starts with x or something...
This comment made me chuckle. On topic, I don't really see it happening.
#19 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28421 posts) -
[QUOTE=""]exactly! they have a history of hardware marketing failure. There is another product that I don't remember its name now. It's a computer game device and its name starts with x or something...starjet905
This comment made me chuckle. On topic, I don't really see it happening.

made me chuckle in the fact its a lie.
#20 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

What if MS bought Sony?

Would it be game over for cows? :P

Anyway, I think people over-rate MS' financial power.

They're powerful, sure, but so is Apple and a host of other companies.

Infact, even Sony, despite loosing lots of money, still has quite some reserve (much more so than Nintendo, who are a "small fish" when compared to these corporations; The fact that they're able to compete with them is testimony of their greatness, as a games as well as business company).

And despite Apple having the most income, companies like Samsung are a lot more wealthy.

Dem dishwashers tend to sell...

#21 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4492 posts) -

MS can prevent anyone else from buying Nvidia. They have a 'first right refusal' deal if someone trys to buy Nvidias shares. Meaning they get first dibs.

#22 Posted by Mystery_Writer (7938 posts) -

lol, the fear in sony fans' responses is so strong. :P (j/k)

#23 Posted by ClassicRockFTW (994 posts) -

Lol.

Nvidia would die if that happens. Microsoft is just the cancer of virtually everything.

GamerwillzPS

While using windows? lolok

#24 Posted by Gue1 (10192 posts) -

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

Lol.

ClassicRockFTW

that's the monopoly. You just can't run away from Windows, specially if you're a programmer because the best tools are on Windows and always will be. Mirosoft is probably the only company on our history that is virtually impossible for it to go bankruptcy. Windows is freaking vital for mostly everything related to technology. Even Sony has no other way than to develop PS3 games on Windows! And what about Nintendo that forces their workers to use only Macs? I bet Wii games are made on Windows too.

The day MS buys Nvdia sht will get real. I know there are many Xbox fans that believe this is a good thing because they are blinded by fanboyism but monopoly is anything but good.

#25 Posted by ShadowDeathX (10673 posts) -
Well this would suck. Microsoft would revert their product development resources into mobile ARM/GPU development over traditional desktop GPUs.
#26 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

That would kill competition as we know it.

#27 Posted by GarGx1 (2751 posts) -

There's a much bigger picture in there than MS buying Nvidia, the main point of the article is Microsoft going into producing and selling only their own hardware and potentially limiting windows to that hardware.

It's quick way to rapidly kill their software (core) business as a large proportion of the PC manufacturing industry would transfer to another operating system, even if it was through necessity. Dell and HP sell more desktop PC's (and laptops in Dells case) than Apple. I've yet to see an office block, school or university that has buildings full of apple PC's, I've seen plenty, all over the world, that are full of Dell and HP PC's, all running a windows OS. Dell and the likes will not go out of business because they can't use windows anymore.

Windows isn't the largest, most widely used operating system software on the planet because you have to buy Microsoft hardware. The moment they limit the operating system to their own hardware, they will lose a massive market and open the door to Linux.

#28 Posted by The_Game21x (26342 posts) -

[QUOTE="ClassicRockFTW"]

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

Lol.

Gue1

that's the monopoly. You just can't run away from Windows, specially if you're a programmer because the best tools are on Windows and always will be. Mirosoft is probably the only company on our history that is virtually impossible for it to go bankruptcy. Windows is freaking vital for mostly everything related to technology. Even Sony has no other way than to develop PS3 games on Windows! And what about Nintendo that forces their workers to use only Macs? I bet Wii games are made on Windows too.

Then your blame should be on the developers that flock to Windows to develop their software.

Microsoft has a "monopoly" in the desktop OS market because the market put it there.

#29 Posted by FPSfan1985 (2008 posts) -
Nothing would change. If anything things would get better. I remember people saying the same crap about skype, but skype is much better off now that MS owns it.
#30 Posted by The_Game21x (26342 posts) -

There's a much bigger picture in there than MS buying Nvidia, the main point of the article is Microsoft going into producing and selling only their own hardware and potentially limiting windows to that hardware.

It's quick way to rapidly kill their software (core) business as a large proportion of the PC manufacturing industry would transfer to another operating system, even if it was through necessity. Dell and HP sell more desktop PC's (and laptops in Dells case) than Apple. I've yet to see an office block, school or university that has buildings full of apple PC's, I've seen plenty, all over the world, that are full of Dell and HP PC's, all running a windows OS. Dell and the likes will not go out of business because they can't use windows anymore.

Windows isn't the largest, most widely used operating system software on the planet because you have to buy Microsoft hardware. The moment they limit the operating system to their own hardware, they will lose a massive market and open the door to Linux.

GarGx1

Which is exactly why they would never do that. Microsoft may be a bit slow on the uptake in terms of recognizing and pouncing on market trends (Zune...) but they aren't stupid.

#31 Posted by telefanatic (2881 posts) -

Haha! If that happens, i would never buy another Nvidia card again... i dont support M$, they killed some of my favorite video game studios, and completely destroyed the Xbox experience for me. Im glad my friend gave me hes Windows 7 copy.

#32 Posted by The_Game21x (26342 posts) -

Haha! If that happens, i would never buy another Nvidia card again... i dont support M$, they killed some of my favorite video game studios, and completely destroyed the Xbox experience for me. Im glad my friend gave me hes Windows 7 copy.

telefanatic

And yet you use Windows...

Regardless of whether or not you paid for it, you're still part of the problem, any way you slice it.

#33 Posted by themyth01 (13924 posts) -

[QUOTE="ClassicRockFTW"]

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

Lol.

Gue1

The day MS buys Nvdia sht will get real. I know there are many Xbox fans that believe this is a good thing because they are blinded by fanboyism but monopoly is anything but good.

MS hasn't been a monopoly for a while but the best tools are indeed in Windows and they're made by MS. MS used to make crappy products in the 90s and early 2000s but now they have the best OS and best tools out there and that has its own merits, good products should be recognized. MS would not go into the hardware business because margins aren't as good.

#34 Posted by rockydog1111 (2076 posts) -

Some serious MS hate going on in here. I don't think I would like it, but if they keep putting out the better cards, I would continue to buy them.

#35 Posted by Phazevariance (10981 posts) -

Lol.

GamerwillzPS
You must be living in the 90's still.