Things that make you go hmmm...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xplode_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Xplode_games
Member since 2011 • 2540 Posts

Remember back in 2008 when the PS3 was really struggling? A lot of people were even saying Sony should scrap it altogether and design a new system. I'm not talking about fanboys either. Even respected executives like Gabe Newell was quoted as saying "the PS3 is a waste of everyone's time".

Well, right around that difficult time period for the PS3, something that I find rather strange happened. MGS4 was released and it received a perfect 10 score even here at GS. I mean this is something that was not expected but something that I think had a lot to do with the PS3's eventual comeback.

This was a game that was exclusive to the PS3 and a very popular series on the PS2. If you wanted this game you had to buy a PS3 and it got a perfect 10. That hype was worth a billion dollars.

You don't think it was strange, ok. Now fast forward to the present, 2014. The Wii U is having an absolutely horrible start. A lot of people are actually saying Nintendo should just forget about the Wii U and release a new system with actual next gen hardware.

Well, along comes a game that just happens to be exclusive to the Wii U and it's also something that has a huge following with people who played it last gen on all the systems. And it's got a perfect 10 score from GS. If you want to play this game, you have to buy a Wii U. Hmmm, isn't that interesting?

Now isn't that strange? What do you guys think?

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#2 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

The companies are attempting to make better games for their systems?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Except the first Bayonetta is not that well known and did not sell very well. While MGS is a well known and established gaming series, whose installments have sold millions of copies

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

The more I think about it, the more sense I think your point is. I forget when MGS4 came out in relation to the price cuts but it was a success.

A perfect 10 wont just turn around a system though. Bayonetta 2 might not do much for the Wii U. It has to be the right game getting a 10. I don't think Monkey Poo Flinger would move units if it had a perfect score.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Never played it but I've played MGS4, I'm guessing if it was released on next gen systems it would be laughed at.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

MGS4 was a genuine masterpiece of a game, though. I'm looking very forward to Bayonetta 2!

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

i think that my wii u remains unplugged from the hdmi port and the power socket.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

@CrownKingArthur said:

i think that my wii u remains unplugged from the hdmi port and the power socket.

So pretty much a piece of floating space debris.

Elpresador-911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Elpresador-911
Member since 2013 • 1096 Posts

Difference is that Metal Gear is a household name, Bayonetta 2 is a very niche game and probably wont sell all too well unfortunately.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts
Loading Video...

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Bayonetta's Heritage is not as Rich as Metal Gear Solid...... If Nintendo makes a comeback it certainly won't be because of this Crotch Shot Hotty ! :p

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Lulu_Lulu

@lostrib

Actually it exceeded sales expectations, perhaps not Segas expectations but Platinum was very very satified with... How many units was it again ? 3.... 4... ?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@lostrib

Actually it exceeded sales expectations, perhaps not Segas expectations but Platinum was very very satified with... How many units was it again ? 3.... 4... ?

1.35 million

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lulu_Lulu

@lostrib

Oh.... Well then Nevermind... :p

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts

@CrownKingArthur said:

Lol I never even bothered getting a Wii U. :P

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#16  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

No matter how good both games are, the difference is that PS2 was a popular console among the core comunity. People who would eventually get a new console. Wii, on the other hand, was popular among casuals, who will or will not invest on a new platform. Add that to the fact MGS is in a different league in terms of popularity, and it's a completely different scenario.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts

What happened was everybody pretended they liked MGS4 and that got people to buy a PS3, that game was so shit but it worked. On the other hand Bayonetta 2 will likely be an awesome game, but I doubt many people will be buying a Wii U for it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

The Wii U doesn't need saving.... infact, this generation is already better than the Wii's ... the quality of the first parties (well except no galaxy i suppose) the inclusion of GOOD VALUE DLC .... the more competant online (well hopefully with mash) .... the games are there, regardless of how many PS4/X1 chavs decide not to have one.

If it was in the identical situation to the ViTA then I would agree popularity is important, but in Nintendo's case it clearly isn't ... and the gamepad is actually a fantastic device..... It's a shame they cost so much otherwise I would reccomend PS4/X1 have their own versions as an extra (instead of the mediocre VITA remote play).

If you can only afford one system, then yes.... maybe Nintendo is not the realistic choice.... but as a second system... its typically the best damn option. it's been a better companion device to my PC than my PS4 so far that's for sure...