Thief reveals itself as a reboot for "next gen consoles"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (9943 posts) -

A new Thief game has been revealed and is scheduled to release in 2014. The new game promises to be a reboot to the Thief franchise, where you'll once again take control of Garrett as he makes his way around The City stealing anything and everything to turn a profit. 

The new Thief is being developed by Eidos Montreal and is planned to release on the PC, PS4 and "next gen consoles." To keep us happy, hopefully theyll just stick to the options and stealth that makes Thief... Well Thief.  Don't Micro-transaction the hell out of it, I'm looking at you Square Enix...

This was courtesy of a Press Release, but I hear this Russian website has a lot of screenshots.

http://www.screwattack.com/news/thief-reveals-itself-reboot-next-gen-consoles

--

It will probably be perceived as a rip-off of Assassin's Creed or Dishonored by teen gamers :D

#2 Posted by Oil_Rope_Bombs (2671 posts) -
lolz wat is this some crappy ripoff of assassinz creed??? 1/10
#3 Posted by Litchie (16636 posts) -
Duuuuuude. Awesome.
#4 Posted by Rage010101 (5470 posts) -

lolz wat is this some crappy ripoff of assassinz creed??? 1/10Oil_Rope_Bombs

this is older than assassin's creed...i mean much much older, like probably a decade older...so to answer your question, no.

#5 Posted by MirkoS77 (8196 posts) -
Screenshots look very promising. Hopefully this'll be a good glimpse of what next-gen has to offer. I'm skeptical they won't muck it up but it looks good so far.
#6 Posted by tenaka2 (17040 posts) -

Thief was all about the mechanics, the graphics were almost all pretty dark.

If consoles are the main focus then Thief will just become another FPS, consolites would be unable to appreciate the mechanics of a decent thief remake.

#7 Posted by Litchie (16636 posts) -

[QUOTE="Oil_Rope_Bombs"]lolz wat is this some crappy ripoff of assassinz creed??? 1/10Rage010101

this is older than assassin's creed...i mean much much older, like probably a decade older...so to answer your question, no.

He was deliberately trying to make himself look stupid as a joke.

#8 Posted by Rage010101 (5470 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rage010101"]

[QUOTE="Oil_Rope_Bombs"]lolz wat is this some crappy ripoff of assassinz creed??? 1/10Litchie

He was deliberately trying to make himself look stupid as a joke.

i see, sometimes it's hard to distinguish the difference as system wars is full of genuine stupid people

#9 Posted by biggest_loser (24144 posts) -
A reboot? Da hell? Why make it Garrett then. Nothing good has come from this announcement yet.
#10 Posted by pelvist (5223 posts) -

Thief III was pretty much a console game anyway ant it was nowhere near as good as the first 2 games. Im predicting smething very similar to Dishonored. RIP Thief series if this is true. Its a shame really, the Thief series didnt become so popular by being a console game.

#11 Posted by MLBknights58 (5015 posts) -

[QUOTE="Oil_Rope_Bombs"]lolz wat is this some crappy ripoff of assassinz creed??? 1/10Rage010101

whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooosh

#12 Posted by EPaul (9906 posts) -

I'm surprised PC gamers haven't complained about the game being consolized yet

#13 Posted by MLBknights58 (5015 posts) -

EPaul

Give it time my friend. 

#14 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

EPaul
Boom.
A reboot? Da hell? Why make it Garrett then. Nothing good has come from this announcement yet. biggest_loser
#15 Posted by MrYaotubo (2798 posts) -
[QUOTE="EPaul"]

Goyoshi12
Boom.
A reboot? Da hell? Why make it Garrett then. Nothing good has come from this announcement yet. biggest_loser

I don´t really see the connection,no mention of platform,just because its a reboot. And tbh,they would have some point to do it,considering how Deadly Shadows was in comparison to the first two games,just like they have for DX Invisible War(both by the same dev).
#16 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

I don´t really see the connection,no mention of platform,just because its a reboot. And tbh,they would have some point to do it,considering how Deadly Shadows was in comparison to the first two games,just like they have for DX Invisible War(both by the same dev).MrYaotubo

Oh, he's a PC player. Believe me, and he's also a fan of the Thief series and ever since the announcement has not been pleased with the end results. Also this isn't the end all be all thread for Thief news. Just look back at all the other threads on Thief like the Thief Info Reveal thread and see the chaos ensue.

#17 Posted by Midnightshade29 (5537 posts) -

Thief III was pretty much a console game anyway ant it was nowhere near as good as the first 2 games. Im predicting something very similar to Dishonored. RIP Thief series if this is true. Its a shame really, the Thief series didnt become so popular by being a console game.

pelvist
watch them try to take light and shadow out of the gameplay like ubisoft did to splinter cell... That killed that series for me and that plus the sound is two of the big elements that make thief , well thief.. it was great because of environment, gameplay and audio too, but you can't take away the two big elements.
#18 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (19822 posts) -
You're an idiot if you're serious. :P
#19 Posted by biggest_loser (24144 posts) -

[QUOTE="MrYaotubo"]I don´t really see the connection,no mention of platform,just because its a reboot. And tbh,they would have some point to do it,considering how Deadly Shadows was in comparison to the first two games,just like they have for DX Invisible War(both by the same dev).Goyoshi12

Oh, he's a PC player. Believe me, and he's also a fan of the Thief series and ever since the announcement has not been pleased with the end results. Also this isn't the end all be all thread for Thief news. Just look back at all the other threads on Thief like the Thief Info Reveal thread and see the chaos ensue.

Yes! HELLO Goyoshi12! I CAN SEE YOU!!! lol this bloke talks about me like I'm not here.

@MrYaotubo: I was just saying that why make it Garrett if its a reboot. Wouldn't that mean rewriting the series canon?

#20 Posted by tenaka2 (17040 posts) -

EPaul

Thief Of Duty will be great, ignore the haters.

#21 Posted by FinalFighters (1907 posts) -

um, This game been around way longer (Started out on PC) then AC...Judging by your "glorious pc master race" Sig you should know that...

#22 Posted by tenaka2 (17040 posts) -

[QUOTE="Oil_Rope_Bombs"]lolz wat is this some crappy ripoff of assassinz creed??? 1/10FinalFighters
um, This game been around way longer(Started out on PC) then AC...Judging by your "glorious pc master race" Sig you should know that...

No one here gets sarcasm.

#23 Posted by FinalFighters (1907 posts) -

[QUOTE="FinalFighters"][QUOTE="Oil_Rope_Bombs"]lolz wat is this some crappy ripoff of assassinz creed??? 1/10tenaka2

um, This game been around way longer(Started out on PC) then AC...Judging by your "glorious pc master race" Sig you should know that...

No one here gets sarcasm.

guess my sarcasm detector needs new batteries
#24 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

[QUOTE="MrYaotubo"]I don´t really see the connection,no mention of platform,just because its a reboot. And tbh,they would have some point to do it,considering how Deadly Shadows was in comparison to the first two games,just like they have for DX Invisible War(both by the same dev).biggest_loser

Yes! HELLO Goyoshi12! I CAN SEE YOU!!! lol this bloke talks about me like I'm not here.

@MrYaotubo: I was just saying that why make it Garrett if its a reboot. Wouldn't that mean rewriting the series canon?

I'm just saying this recent news hasn't set well with you and I know your opinion on the Thief series.

#25 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -
Not sure what to make of it, it looks a lot like Dishonored visually. Which isn't a bad thing. As long as it's complex and well crafted as the past Thief games, namely the first and second then I'll be stoked. Not sure about some of the details though, they're taking certain liberties I'm not too sure about.
#26 Posted by Jack-Burton (2433 posts) -
First official game that excites me about next gen.
#27 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -
[QUOTE="pelvist"]

Thief III was pretty much a console game anyway ant it was nowhere near as good as the first 2 games. Im predicting something very similar to Dishonored. RIP Thief series if this is true. Its a shame really, the Thief series didnt become so popular by being a console game.

Midnightshade29
watch them try to take light and shadow out of the gameplay like ubisoft did to splinter cell... That killed that series for me and that plus the sound is two of the big elements that make thief , well thief.. it was great because of environment, gameplay and audio too, but you can't take away the two big elements.

I wouldn't write it off yet. There's going to be some big changes, without a doubt, but for what it's worth Eidos handled Deus Ex HR pretty damn well, even though I could write a damn thesis about everything that's wrong with that game. That's a reassuring sign, and the whole 'next gen systems' focus means that we might get some large levels and more detail; something that takes advantage of 3D space like the first and second did.
#28 Posted by 3Guilty_4Spark3 (135 posts) -

I hope it isn't a hybrid game. I want full focus on stealth.

#29 Posted by Heil68 (46842 posts) -
Hope they dont ruin it.