Thief PS4 1080p low frame rate, XOne 900p, high frame rate

• 126 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
#1 Edited by FreedomFreeLife (3948 posts) -

Playing through Thief on PS4 and Xbox One over the past week I'm not so sure 1080p on consoles is a standard that should be set for next-gen. The PS4 version struggles needlessly to try to maintain a 30 frames per second presentation, regularly dipping into the 15-20 range during gameplay. At several points in the journey, it even edges toward the single digits. That isn't even something I remember dealing with on the PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360.

What makes this particularly controversial is the Xbox One version does a much better job of maintaining a steady framerate. I'd go as far as to say because of this, the Xbox One version is a lot better.

So how is it that Thief on Xbox One is able to do this? Well, the short answer is 900p. It's displayed at a lower resolution, requiring roughly 660,000 fewer pixels per image to be rendered. However, the visual clarity would make you think the six-digit figure is in no way accurate. The truth is that's due to diminishing returns. Between 900p and 1080p the images don't look nearly as different as going from the standard definition output of 480i up to 720p. Surprisingly, the pixel difference is the same.

PS4 - 1080P, low frame rate(under 30fps)

Xbox One - 900p, high frame rate(stable, more than 30fps)

#2 Posted by IamAdorable (407 posts) -

Who said this?

#3 Posted by hoyalawya (344 posts) -

Source?

#4 Posted by Flubbbs (4480 posts) -

havent heard any of this in the reviews ive watched

#5 Edited by Sushiglutton (6559 posts) -

Google the fist sentence when you want a source ladies and gents:

http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/articles/650465-thief-ps4s-low-framerate-is-proof-that-1080p-isnt-always-the-answer

Avatar image for BigShotSmoov007
#6 Posted by BigShotSmoov007 (3242 posts) -

I'm going to pass on this game, It's getting average to below average reviews from what I'm seeing. This is new gen and it's just unacceptable when you have a single player game now with dumb AI and it seems like all the reviews say the same thing, they should have enough RAM to smarten up the AI in games. Looks like it's Plants vs Zombies for me only.

#7 Posted by FreedomFreeLife (3948 posts) -

@Sushiglutton said:

http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/articles/650465-thief-ps4s-low-framerate-is-proof-that-1080p-isnt-always-the-answer

At least some smart guy here :)

Everyone can find source without problem(takes only 2 sec)

@BigShotSmoov007 said:

I'm going to pass on this game, It's getting average to below average reviews from what I'm seeing. This is new gen and it's just unacceptable when you have a single player game now with dumb AI and it seems like all the reviews say the same thing, they should have enough RAM to smarten up the AI in games. Looks like it's Plants vs Zombies for me only.

Well at least Plants vs. Zombies is fun :)

#8 Posted by hoosier7 (4166 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife: You are meant to provide a source though, think it's the rules.

Anyway i'll be waiting till this hits the preowned shelves for the PS4, not worth the full price to me and there'll probably be a patch that'll help hold the framerate.

#9 Posted by Heil68 (56013 posts) -

PS4 wins again having the more cinematic, real deep experience.

#10 Posted by Solid_Max13 (3588 posts) -

Lol game looks garbage anyways whether it's at 900p or 1080p but love the lems logic here like I said

Lems: 900p and 1080p there's no difference!

#11 Posted by KillzoneSnake (2022 posts) -

Looks like a bad port of a bad game. Graphics are bad no matter what platform you play this flop.

#12 Posted by Joedgabe (5134 posts) -

So crave is a credible source ? :O

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
#13 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (6843 posts) -

FYI Jonathan Leack is a known Xbone apologist. The reviews I've perused don't mention frame rate drops, though Arthur Gies (another Xbone shill) mentions framerate drops on both consoles.

Avatar image for BigShotSmoov007
#14 Posted by BigShotSmoov007 (3242 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@Sushiglutton said:

At least some smart guy here :)

Everyone can find source without problem(takes only 2 sec)

@BigShotSmoov007 said:

Well at least Plants vs. Zombies is fun :)

I'm hoping it is, it definitely looks fun.

#15 Posted by Crossel777 (6176 posts) -

Or that it's just shoddy porting.. The game doesn't exactly have great graphics to begin with.

#16 Edited by Mozelleple112 (6941 posts) -

Thief got a 6.8/10... That's like a 4.8/10 on IMDB.

I'll pass.

#17 Edited by ACP_45 (2304 posts) -

For me there is no better version of Thief on any platform because the game is disappointing....

#18 Posted by R4gn4r0k (22644 posts) -

Why do you care ?

@FreedomFreeLife said:

CRAP GAME IS CRAP

#19 Posted by tormentos (24081 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife said:

Playing through Thief on PS4 and Xbox One over the past week I'm not so sure 1080p on consoles is a standard that should be set for next-gen. The PS4 version struggles needlessly to try to maintain a 30 frames per second presentation, regularly dipping into the 15-20 range during gameplay. At several points in the journey, it even edges toward the single digits. That isn't even something I remember dealing with on the PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360.

What makes this particularly controversial is the Xbox One version does a much better job of maintaining a steady framerate. I'd go as far as to say because of this, the Xbox One version is a lot better.

So how is it that Thief on Xbox One is able to do this? Well, the short answer is 900p. It's displayed at a lower resolution, requiring roughly 660,000 fewer pixels per image to be rendered. However, the visual clarity would make you think the six-digit figure is in no way accurate. The truth is that's due to diminishing returns. Between 900p and 1080p the images don't look nearly as different as going from the standard definition output of 480i up to 720p. Surprisingly, the pixel difference is the same.

Hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

Fake boy...

And article done by a blind biased fanboy all you have to do is see hes wording to actually get what he is all about...lol

#20 Edited by FreedomFreeLife (3948 posts) -

Lol i guess ign, eurogamer and gamespot is also biased fanboy...

If PS4 had good frame rate it would be not biased and when its low frame rate for ps4 then its biased.

Tormentos, you never change. GET A LIFE

#21 Edited by Consternated (848 posts) -

A Playstation sites thoughts on the framerate > http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2014/02/24/thief-review-ps4/

"Speaking of jolting around, the framerate for Thief on PS4 is something that people will be talking about. I traditionally don’t put much stock in graphics or framerate, as I prefer to focus on gameplay and story first, but as each cutscene dipped in framerate to what appeared to be 10-15 fps, it was hard to overlook. Gameplay had a few dips as well, but the cutscenes looked awful. On top of being disjointing, they were fuzzy and dropped in framerate so badly, that it seemed like something you would expect to see in a remastered cutscene from a poorly done HD collection."

All this from an Unreal 3 game. "next-gen"...

#22 Posted by PinkieWinkie (1454 posts) -

Bad port.

#23 Posted by MonsieurX (34992 posts) -

Not sure why you care that much then

@FreedomFreeLife said:

Lol i guess ign, eurogamer and gamespot is also biased fanboy...

If PS4 had good frame rate it would be not biased and when its low frame rate for ps4 then its biased.

Tormentos, you never change. GET A LIFE

@FreedomFreeLife said:

IGN gave 6.8/10

CRAP GAME IS CRAP

#24 Posted by Jankarcop (11056 posts) -

Dat' next gen console tech

#26 Edited by MonsieurX (34992 posts) -

@me3x12 said:

LMFAO!!! the power of the PS4 strikes again

The power of both consoles strike again

#27 Posted by Daious (2315 posts) -

Both consoles are limited by their hardware already. Its been like 4 months.

How can xboxone not hit 1080? That should be the standard

#28 Posted by Alcapello (1396 posts) -

lol thief

#29 Edited by Daious (2315 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife said:

You do realize the developer had a choice to make the ps4 version at 900p and with faster frame rate. They didn't because they wanted to improve the visuals on the game rather than lower the resolution. If they thought 900p was superior then they would have targeted it on the ps4 too.

#30 Posted by Bishop1310 (1268 posts) -

@daious said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

You do realize the developer had a choice to make the ps4 version at 900p and with faster frame rate. They didn't because they wanted to improve the visuals on the game rather than lower the resolution. If they thought 900p was superior then they would have targeted it on the ps4 too.

Do you have a link that says they had the choice? Before the consoles launched it was known microsoft was giving the developers full control over frame rate and resolution, where as Sony was pushing hard for 1080p res for all games...

#31 Posted by kuu2 (8717 posts) -

Uh oh..........

Cows shooting their mouths off is coming home to roost.

#32 Edited by Daious (2315 posts) -

@Bishop1310 said:

@daious said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

Do you have a link that says they had the choice? Before the consoles launched it was known microsoft was giving the developers full control over frame rate and resolution, where as Sony was pushing hard for 1080p res for all games...

Are you suggesting that Sony isn't allowing people to publish games at 1080p? Or suggesting they do not optimize their games for that console? That is complete BS

BF4 wanted to hit the best they could without sacrificing frames and published the game at 900p. The Order (exclusive) was aiming at different resolutions to optimize gameplay performance

Of course the developers of Thief had a choice. They were constantly updating us on twitter about it and posting about it. They tried to make both consoles version running at 1080p. Xboxone should have been developed for 1080p, its the standard for the living room. Both consoles are much weaker than Sony/MS wants us to believe.

#33 Posted by _Matt_ (10103 posts) -

I have never heard of CraveOnline.

Let's wait for Digital Foundry hey?

Avatar image for princessgomez92
#34 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (4470 posts) -

Cows damage controlling. Delicious, lol.

#35 Posted by jeffmonster (511 posts) -

Haha.......Sony is pure hype. They never deliver.

#36 Posted by Caseytappy (2196 posts) -

Dipping under ten frames , that's a new console record .

Thief the slide show, thank you Kaz !

#37 Posted by Alcapello (1396 posts) -

@Caseytappy said:

Dipping under ten frames , that's a new console record .

Thief the slide show, thank you Kaz !

It's actually a positive in the eyes of many throughout PSN (Playstation Nation)

#38 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@jeffmonster said:

Haha.......Sony is pure hype. They never deliver.

Yeah, that darn sony they never deliver anything good

#39 Edited by RedentSC (1212 posts) -

i love how as soon as one thing comes out that would remotely suggest the PS4 as being inferior, all the lems come out for a communal b**wjob yet they are nowhere to be seen in 99% of the other threads... keep hiding lems... get used to it... you'll be doing a lot of it in the near future

#40 Posted by StormyJoe (7461 posts) -

@tormentos said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

Fake boy...

And article done by a blind biased fanboy all you have to do is see hes wording to actually get what he is all about...lol

Well, normally I would let someone like you hang himself and watch the fun. But link

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
#41 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (18711 posts) -

Lems are getting ridiculously desperate, it's honestly painful to watch. lol.

#42 Edited by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@StormyJoe said:

@tormentos said:

Fake boy...

Well, normally I would let someone like you hang himself and watch the fun. But link

wait the frame rates are dipping during cut scenes, wtf

#43 Posted by Alcapello (1396 posts) -

@RedentSC said:

i love how as soon as one thing comes out that would remotely suggest the PS4 as being inferior, all the lems come out for a communal b**wjob yet they are nowhere to be seen in 99% of the other threads... keep hiding lems... get used to it... you'll be doing a lot of it in the near future

In times like these, they have each other. Things always have a way of working themselves out.

#44 Posted by StormyJoe (7461 posts) -

@RedentSC said:

Don't blame the lems for SW forums being overloaded with rabid cows.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
#45 Posted by chikenfriedrice (13473 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

PS4 wins again having the more cinematic, real deep experience.

Haha....nice

#47 Edited by PurpleMan5000 (8814 posts) -

Sounds like both versions are bad and the PC wins yet again.

#48 Posted by misterpmedia (5976 posts) -

Thief is the new BF4, it runs like ass on all ports. Not exclusive to PS4 like some of you hope, sorry. :(.

#49 Edited by NFJSupreme (6283 posts) -

lol mulitplats are for PC kiddies. This is why only exclusives get fired up on my consoles.

#50 Posted by Krelian-co (13274 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Lems are getting ridiculously desperate, it's honestly painful to watch. lol.