Thief on PC is surprising.

• 106 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by kalipekona (2296 posts) -

I have been playing the game since it unlocked on Steam and I have to say the game has really surprised me so far. It looks absolutely outstanding for one thing. The lighting, shadows, particles, reflections, parallax occlusion, tesselation and other graphical elements all add up to one beautiful game. I also love the art direction.

What's more surprising, however, is that it runs extremely well. I am maxing it out, aside from SSAA, and getting a solid 60fps. I only have an HD 7950 and i5 2500k and I truly didn't expect to get such good performance in this game. I can honestly say that the ratio of this game's performance to how amazing it looks is by far the best I have ever come across.

Part of the reason for it's great performance is that the devs actually properly multi-threaded the engine. pcgameshardware.de did some benchmarks and found fantastic multi-thread scaling. Read about it here: http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Thief-4-PC-98521/Specials/Thief-Grafikarten-und-Prozessor-Benchmarks-Mit-dieser-Hardware-gehen-Sie-ohne-Ruckler-auf-Diebestour-1110793/

Unfortunately, however, the game doesn't run so well on the PS4 and XB1. This is not just unfortunate for the gamers that play the game on those consoles, but also for the game and developers of the game themselves. I truly believe that part of the reason for the mediocre scores from a lot of reviewers is the poor performance of the versions they played. Choppy framerate really does drag a gaming experience down. It even gives you a more negative impression of a game's visuals than you otherwise would have. I was expecting to see this game get scores mostly around 8/10 and I think the reason we are seeing an average closer to 7/10 is due to the choppy experience it offers on the consoles.

#2 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10203 posts) -

I truly believe that part of the reason for the mediocre scores from a lot of reviewers is the poor performance of the versions they played. Choppy framerate really does drag a gaming experience down. It even gives you a more negative impression of a game's visuals than you otherwise would have. I was expecting to see this game get scores mostly around 8/10 and I think the reason we are seeing an average closer to 7/10 is due to the choppy experience it offers on the consoles.

That could be a reason, or......

• The City's choppy structure injures exploration and immersion
  • Glitchy AI and other clunky issues drain the game of tension
  • Incoherent story that ends without any sense of payoff
#3 Posted by jg4xchamp (47070 posts) -

Game critics knocking a game for presentation or lack of "polish" while ignoring gameplay? highly plausible.

That said plenty of the game reviews I read point out iffy at best AI and how the design itself is devoid of any tension/challenge in the stealth. Plus some stuff about the story not being enjoyable nor the characters. Which not that I didn't like Garret(he was dope) back in the day, but I mean Thief if it was good in the story department was entirely good in the "good for a videogame story" sort of way.

I'd try it out at a cheap ass price, but I'm iffy on spending a full 60 on that game. Might pick it up during a steam sale.

#4 Posted by EducatingU_PCMR (537 posts) -

Could it be that all the trailers and previews they showed were on the PS4?

Because it looked good to me but not nothing special.

Still, the game issues seem to be focused on story and level design, rather than looks or/and performance.

#5 Edited by AdrianWerner (27960 posts) -

It is propably held to much higher standards than other stealth games. The levels are pretty linear, but not any more than other "top modern stealth games".

Any way, if you want true Thief gameplay in fresh coat of paint just go play DarkMod, it's free.

#6 Edited by MlauTheDaft (3267 posts) -

Judging from TB's "WTF is...", it actually looks like a good game and an amazing port.

#7 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4129 posts) -

interestingly, totalbiscuit remarked getting an easy 120fps+ with a single gtx titan at 1920x1080 - just as remarkable as your result.

and what you're describing is pretty shocking, I can't believe they can't get an xbox 360 / ps3 game running right on the next genners.

who does the blame lie with? the developers? well i guess one could argue they went for too many platforms at once.

but one could argue the developers are competent, the pc version works incredibly well on amd and nvidia hardware. the last cod game failed to achieve this and had a similar pattern of release.

maybe the problem is the ps4 / xbox one dev tools or something.

#8 Edited by kalipekona (2296 posts) -

Yeah, TotalBiscuit really liked the game. He talked about how great it looked and how smooth it runs. He also just liked the game in general. So far I really agree with him, especially about how good it looks and runs.

I think reviewers would have scored it on average 1 point higher if it hadn't run so poorly on the consoles. I'm not saying those reviewers would have suddenly given the game 10s across the board, but I do believe that the choppy performance truly impacted many reviewers' impression of the game.

Let's not forget, though, that the game has received quite a few 8s and 9s as well. So it's not like there is any kind of unanimous agreement or anything.

#9 Edited by uninspiredcup (7641 posts) -

Casual console gaming media (people brought up on Halo and Call Of Duty) playing on normal with "see everything" mod with a control pad a weak console system and expecting Assassins Creed non game. Not surprising my friends. Not surprising.

#11 Posted by kalipekona (2296 posts) -

Crap, my whole message system is broke. I can't edit, can't reply, can't quote. Every time I try to do one of those things the message box just comes up completely empty. I also can't paste anything into the message box. What the hell is going on? Do any of you have any idea what happened?

#12 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3267 posts) -

@kalipekona:

GS is kinda broken matey, it's not just you.

#13 Edited by Salt_The_Fries (8288 posts) -

Casual console gaming media (people brought up on Halo and Call Of Duty) playing on normal with "see everything" mod with a control pad a weak console system and expecting Assassins Creed non game. Not surprising my friends. Not surprising.

Totally. In fact, Total Biscuit's video made me ignore all the bad press altogether.

#14 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4129 posts) -

yes

i can't get into it now, but the wrong gaming journalists have way too much influence.

#15 Posted by Newhopes (4471 posts) -

Gameplay is pretty dull unfortunately gets pretty repetitive fast, I think Dishonored did Thief style game style alot better.

#16 Posted by kalipekona (2296 posts) -

@ MlauTheDaft

Thanks for your reply. That sucks that gamespot is having difficulties, but I've actually had this problem for a while now and it's just really getting to me. Also, all of you seem to be able to quote and reply, and I was able to before. I just don't understand what happened.

#17 Posted by kalipekona (2296 posts) -

@Newhopes said:

Gameplay is pretty dull unfortunately gets pretty repetitive fast, I think Dishonored did Thief style game style alot better.

I liked Dishonored but I personally think it was overrated. It is much more of an action game than Thief is. Not everybody likes slow, deliberate stealth games, but I certainly do and so far I am enjoying Thief more than I enjoyed Dishonored.

*(I can finally reply and quote and whatnot. I logged out and logged back in and that seemed to fix the problem).

#18 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

Terrible series which should have remained on pc.

The first person perspective needs to stop. It's a terrible way to play games especially stealth games. Devs need to go back to strictly third person. Playing as a pair of hands, or a gun barrel isn't fun, clever, immersive, or intuitive.

#19 Edited by sts106mat (18884 posts) -

@xboxdone74 said:

The first person perspective needs to stop. It's a terrible way to play games especially stealth games. Devs need to go back to strictly third person. Playing as a pair of hands, or a gun barrel isn't fun, clever, immersive, or intuitive.

I completely disagree with this. I find first person games so much more immersive. third person is for platformers and action / adventure games.

#20 Edited by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

@sts106mat: the last of us did stealth, and immersion, better than any stealth fp game last gen, or Thief. The immersion comes from how developed the world, and the characters are, not by trying to stimulate a fp by playing as a pair of hands. It's a tired gimmick that's worn out its welcome.

#21 Posted by sts106mat (18884 posts) -

@sts106mat: the last of us did stealth, and immersion, better than any stealth fp game last gen, or Thief. The immersion comes from how developed the world, and the characters are, not by trying to stimulate a fp by playing as a pair of hands. It's a tired gimmick that's worn out its welcome.

I haven't played the last of us, but i read in some places that the AI companion would jump up or run around thereby breaking any immersion you had.

I agree with you that most of the immersion comes from the world characters, look and sounds we experience. But personally i find watching a character controlled by me run around on the screen to be much less immersive than seeing everything around me from my characters point of view. I am certain i wont be alone in this either and feel confident the majority would disagree with you.

#22 Edited by kalipekona (2296 posts) -

It doesn't surprise me to see such stupidity coming from a sony fanboy such as you. The first person perspective works damn good in this game and feels way better than 3rd person for stealth games.

And BTW Thief did more for gaming than you will ever realize.

#23 Edited by MlauTheDaft (3267 posts) -

@kalipekona said:

@ MlauTheDaft

Thanks for your reply. That sucks that gamespot is having difficulties, but I've actually had this problem for a while now and it's just really getting to me. Also, all of you seem to be able to quote and reply, and I was able to before. I just don't understand what happened.

I get by with some page refreshing.

I expect they're working to fix the problems, since the bugs I suffer vary in nature over time.

As of right now for example, I can't use the text editing panel because it assumes I want to leave the page with an unfinished post.

Edit:

Something like [b] text [/b] might work but I only really know C# and SQL, so I'm not sure about the specific syntax.

#24 Posted by AdrianWerner (27960 posts) -

tpp takes away all tension from stealth and kills immersion. Also..lol....was The Last of Us the first stealth game you've played. Because it's extremely simple, even compared to many modern stealth games, let alone to masterpieces that Thief 1 and 2 were.

#25 Posted by Sushiglutton (5206 posts) -

I watched TotalBiscuit's vid and I have to say I agree with him about the menus. The set of options they give the player to customize his/her experience is just amazing!!! I would love if this became industry standard.

Thief is new Menu-King!

#26 Posted by kalipekona (2296 posts) -

The stealth aspects in The Last of Us were completely and utterly mediocre.

#27 Edited by silversix_ (13912 posts) -

post some pics maxed out i want to see how it looks on pc cuz on ps4 it looks like shit and on xbone its completely laughable

#28 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3267 posts) -

@silversix_:

Just watch TB's "WTF is...". It's should give you an idea about it's spectacular shadows and lighting.

#29 Edited by sts106mat (18884 posts) -

@kalipekona said:

@xboxdone74 said:

The stealth aspects in The Last of Us were completely and utterly mediocre.

Like i say, i haven't played it. Stealth is an incredibly difficult thing to pull off, i remember in the PS2 era, it was the in-thing and virtually every game shoe-horned in a stealth level. Sometimes i enjoy stealth, for example i like the simple approach with optional stealth like in oblivion & skyrim.

As i've got older my patience has started to wane and in games like assassins creed, (although i love the series) i hate the bloody forced stealth missions. As for Assassins creeds Multiplayer, i will happily wait and stealth out my target for a big score rather than race around trying to kill as many as possible for low scores. so for me that would be stealth done right.

I am getting thief though, the settings just look fantastic, i reckon its been a long time since i played a game where stealth was the major selling point, so happy to have my patience tested here.

#30 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8288 posts) -

The very fact its reception is so polarizing makes me want to get it even more.

#31 Edited by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

@sts106mat:

Well, no, turns out, the industry and also the community, agree with me, seeing as how the last of us won more game of the Year awards than any other game last generation and also stands at a 95 on Metacritic with a 9.1 user score:, compared to thiefs 69 score with the 4.1 user score: The last of us clearly does what it does better and in droves when compared to thief.

Does the ai get buggy sometimes, sure. But I can count on one hand the number of times it happened on my 4 playthroughs, and it obviously didnt effect many critics or users enioyment of the game considering its success.

Thiefs protaginist garrett is not interesting, nor are the characters you run across. They are cookie cutter. Thief also has issues with ai. Detection algorithms either working from too great a distance, or staight up not working at all.

The gameplay mechanics also tend to be clunky, which I find is pretty common among most games which are played in the fp.

If anything, stealth is meant to be played in 3rd p. Playing in fp is unnatural, disadvantageous, and doesnt enhance the experience.

#32 Edited by sts106mat (18884 posts) -

@xboxdone74 said:

@sts106mat:

Well, no, turns out, the industry and also the community, agree with me, seeing as how the last of us won more game of the Year awards than any other game last generation and also stands at a 95 on Metacritic with a 9.1 user score:, compared to thiefs 69 score with the 4.1 user score: The last of us clearly does what it does better and in droves when compared to thief.

Does the ai get buggy sometimes, sure. But I can count on one hand the number of times it happened on my 4 playthroughs, and it obviously didnt effect many critics or users enioyment of the game considering its success.

Thiefs protaginist garrett is not interesting, nor are the characters you run across. They are cookie cutter. Thief also has issues with ai. Detection algorithms either working from too great a distance, or staight up not working at all.

The gameplay mechanics also tend to be clunky, which I find is pretty common among most games which are played in the fp.

If anything, stealth is meant to be played in 3rd p. Playing in fp is unnatural, disadvantageous, and doesnt enhance the experience.

I think you miss-interpret my point about the community agreeing with me....i meant that more people will side with me that First person perspective is more immersive than third person.

I am not sure how the last of us winning some awards means that more people agree with you. Nor does it mean that TLOU did stealth better than any other game pretty sure it won those awards as a package and was largely due to a well told story with good characters, not because of some amazing stealth mechanic.

at least you will admit that the AI is buggy it was mentioned as immersion breaking in some reviews i seem to remember.

meh, i'll play this thief game and make up my own mind about it. i wont be worrying what other people think about the game, or about the last of us' awards or the differing opinions of reviewers either.

#33 Posted by Heil68 (43258 posts) -

I'm jus going to Gamefly it.

#34 Posted by Motokid6 (5121 posts) -

A 3rd person perspective in a stealth game is mild cheating for me personally. Being able to look around a corner... Without looking around the corner.

#35 Edited by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@Motokid6 said:

A 3rd person perspective in a stealth game is mild cheating for me personally. Being able to look around a corner... Without looking around the corner.

Thief 3 is one of my favorite games ever.

If this thief was in 3rd person only there is a good chance I would not buy it.

I loathe 3rd person view for so many reasons

#36 Posted by MBirdy88 (7430 posts) -

I'm glad your not a games designer. OH SO GLAD.

#37 Edited by way2funny (4569 posts) -

Screenshot that I took today. I have it basically maxed out

#38 Edited by cfisher2833 (1548 posts) -

I'll probably pick it up eventually. The reviews have been odd. The ones that really disliked the game seem to focus an awful lot on the shitty story and the narrative disjunction in the game (see Giant Bomb's review), which is something I really could give a shit less about. TB seemed to like it, and I tend to trust his opinion.

#39 Posted by AdrianWerner (27960 posts) -

@sts106mat:

If you want to go by scores The Last of US flopped badly here, getting 8.0 at Gamespot. It might be higher score than the new Thief, but it's lower than Thief; THe Dark Project, Thief 2, Thief: Deadly Shadows, Batman Arkham Asylum, Batman: Arkham City, Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Far Cry 3. So much for "best stealth"..lol.

#40 Posted by aroxx_ab (9219 posts) -

Any compared the PC/Ps4/Xboner versions yet?

#42 Posted by Puggy301 (160 posts) -

I have been playing the game since it unlocked on Steam and I have to say the game has really surprised me so far. It looks absolutely outstanding for one thing. The lighting, shadows, particles, reflections, parallax occlusion, tesselation and other graphical elements all add up to one beautiful game. I also love the art direction.

What's more surprising, however, is that it runs extremely well. I am maxing it out, aside from SSAA, and getting a solid 60fps. I only have an HD 7950 and i5 2500k and I truly didn't expect to get such good performance in this game. I can honestly say that the ratio of this game's performance to how amazing it looks is by far the best I have ever come across.

Part of the reason for it's great performance is that the devs actually properly multi-threaded the engine. pcgameshardware.de did some benchmarks and found fantastic multi-thread scaling. Read about it here: http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Thief-4-PC-98521/Specials/Thief-Grafikarten-und-Prozessor-Benchmarks-Mit-dieser-Hardware-gehen-Sie-ohne-Ruckler-auf-Diebestour-1110793/

Unfortunately, however, the game doesn't run so well on the PS4 and XB1. This is not just unfortunate for the gamers that play the game on those consoles, but also for the game and developers of the game themselves. I truly believe that part of the reason for the mediocre scores from a lot of reviewers is the poor performance of the versions they played. Choppy framerate really does drag a gaming experience down. It even gives you a more negative impression of a game's visuals than you otherwise would have. I was expecting to see this game get scores mostly around 8/10 and I think the reason we are seeing an average closer to 7/10 is due to the choppy experience it offers on the consoles.

The reviews I read for the PS4 & X1 focused primarily on gameplay. The visuals were actually one of the few areas that received modest praise. As R3FURBISHED mentioned up thread, the game's incoherent story, frequent linearity and inconsistencies in the city's design is what drew the ire of most critics. This game has mucho problems on all systems, and it's not frame rate or graphics related.

#43 Edited by adamosmaki (9432 posts) -

Judging from TB's "WTF is...", it actually looks like a good game and an amazing port.

Exactly and considering this are the devs behind Deus Ex HR as well i have the feeling this new Thief is a really good game

#44 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16252 posts) -

The PC version was made by Nixxes, they are great when it comes to PC ports/versions.

They also made Tomb Raider, Hitman Absolution (both amazing PC versions), Deus Ex and a bunch of other Eidos/Squenix games.

Who's fault is that when the reviewers were provided the console version, and not the PC version ?

#45 Edited by uninspiredcup (7641 posts) -

Screenshot that I took today. I have it basically maxed out

That cast lighting looks really great.

#46 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

@AdrianWerner: Son, my first stealth game was Metal Gear on the MSX. I've been at this a lot longer than you have or anyone else on this forum. Fp stealth games are casual, clunky garbage.

#47 Posted by lostrib (33376 posts) -

@AdrianWerner: Son, my first stealth game was Metal Gear on the MSX. I've been at this a lot longer than you have or anyone else on this forum. Fp stealth games are casual, clunky garbage.

sure you have...

#48 Edited by happyduds77 (1439 posts) -

It saddens me the fact that we haven't evolved much with AI in video games. There are few games that have tried, but never really reached their goal.

#49 Edited by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

@lostrib: not all of us on this forum are toddler gamers, my child.

Atari 2600 my first console

Apple IIc first pc

You not believing me doesn't change the past, or present. I've done this longer than the bulk of gamers on this site.

Deal with it.

#50 Posted by lostrib (33376 posts) -

@lostrib: not all of us on this forum are toddler gamers, my child.

Atari 2600 my first console

Apple IIc first pc

You not believing me doesn't change the past, or present. I've done this longer than the bulk of gamers on this site.

Deal with it.

and you writing it on the internet doesn't make it true