These are the highest selling franchises of all time

  • 62 results
  • 1
  • 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by charizard1605 (60984 posts) -

Following on from my other thread yesterday, I decided to make a follow up thread with the highest selling franchises of all time, since a couple of people asked for it.

Franchise NameLifetime SalesPublisherGenre
Mario464 million*NintendoPlatformer
Pokemon262 millionNintendoRPG
Wii245 millionNintendoCasual
The Sims175 millionEASimulation
Grand Theft Auto157 millionRockstarAction Adventure
Need for Speed150 millionEARacing
Tetris140 millionMultiplePuzzle
Sonic the Hedgehog140 millionSegaPlatformer
Call of Duty120 millionActivisionShooter
Final Fantasy102 millionSquare EnixRPG

* If for Mario, you are curious about the breakdown:

  • Super Mario (262 million)
  • Mario Kart (97.5 million)
  • Mario Sports (35.5 million)
  • Mario Party (36 million)
  • Mario RPG (12 million)

Anyway, that's the list of the ten bestselling game franchises of all time. How many of those did you expect? How many of those were surprises? DId the numbers involve for any of those surprise you? How about dat Nintendo domination?

#2 Posted by jsmoke03 (13132 posts) -

those wii games ugh...i hate how they are up there. im surprised that nfs was that high on the list. also surprised that final fantasy isnt much higher.

#3 Posted by marcheegsr (2997 posts) -

NFS higher than Cod? Nice.

#4 Posted by charizard1605 (60984 posts) -

@jsmoke03 said:

those wii games ugh...i hate how they are up there. im surprised that nfs was that high on the list. also surprised that final fantasy isnt much higher.

Wii games are fun, and they are good at what they do, in fact, they are the best in the class of games they are in. Why would they not sell?

#5 Posted by always_explicit (3073 posts) -

Suprised to see tetris up there.

#6 Posted by nintendoboy16 (27922 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@jsmoke03 said:

those wii games ugh...i hate how they are up there. im surprised that nfs was that high on the list. also surprised that final fantasy isnt much higher.

Wii games are fun, and they are good at what they do, in fact, they are the best in the class of games they are in. Why would they not sell?

Well, both the Sports games at least (then again, I did have some fun with Wii Play, but the Sports games are better, with Resort being the best one).

#7 Edited by Jag85 (5267 posts) -

@jsmoke03 said:

those wii games ugh...i hate how they are up there. im surprised that nfs was that high on the list. also surprised that final fantasy isnt much higher.

I'm actually more surprised about The Sims being so high...

Final Fantasy used to be in the top five some years back, but several other franchises have overtaken it since then.

#8 Posted by Spartan070 (16377 posts) -

NFS and Tetris but no Madden? Wow

#9 Posted by charizard1605 (60984 posts) -

@Spartan070 said:

NFS and Tetris but no Madden? Wow

It is literally the next franchise on the list with 99 million lifetime unit sales.

You forget, unlike these other franchises, Madden only sells in one country in the world.

#10 Edited by inb4uall (6365 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@Spartan070 said:

NFS and Tetris but no Madden? Wow

It is literally the next franchise on the list with 99 million lifetime unit sales.

You forget, unlike these other franchises, Madden only sells in one country in the world.

Only one country is stupid enough to buy it.

#11 Edited by darkangel115 (2207 posts) -

some of those have been around since the 80s though like mario and tetris. would be interesting to see the past 10-15 years

#12 Edited by blackace (21378 posts) -

@charizard1605: i knew Mario Kart was in the Top 3. It annihilate every racing game on the planet in terms of sales.

#13 Posted by charizard1605 (60984 posts) -

@blackace said:

@charizard1605: i knew Mario Kart was in the Top 3. It annihilate every racing game on the planet in terms of sales.

Mario Kart itself is only considered a sub-franchise of the main Mario franchise though :P

#14 Edited by DJ-Lafleur (34286 posts) -

NFS is the one that surprised me the most. Didn't know the series was THAT popular.

#15 Posted by kingtito (5232 posts) -

@inb4uall said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Spartan070 said:

NFS and Tetris but no Madden? Wow

It is literally the next franchise on the list with 99 million lifetime unit sales.

You forget, unlike these other franchises, Madden only sells in one country in the world.

Only one country is stupid enough to buy it.

Why is the country stupid for buying a game they like? Maybe you don't like the Madden games but that doesn't make the people that do stupid. Don't be ignorant your whole life.

#16 Posted by inb4uall (6365 posts) -

@kingtito said:

@inb4uall said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Spartan070 said:

NFS and Tetris but no Madden? Wow

It is literally the next franchise on the list with 99 million lifetime unit sales.

You forget, unlike these other franchises, Madden only sells in one country in the world.

Only one country is stupid enough to buy it.

Why is the country stupid for buying a game they like? Maybe you don't like the Madden games but that doesn't make the people that do stupid. Don't be ignorant your whole life.

No they are definitely stupid. Madden still exists as a franchise because it is still profitable even after yearly releases for the last however many years. This is because idiots buy it year after year.

#17 Edited by kingtito (5232 posts) -

@inb4uall said:

@kingtito said:

@inb4uall said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Spartan070 said:

NFS and Tetris but no Madden? Wow

It is literally the next franchise on the list with 99 million lifetime unit sales.

You forget, unlike these other franchises, Madden only sells in one country in the world.

Only one country is stupid enough to buy it.

Why is the country stupid for buying a game they like? Maybe you don't like the Madden games but that doesn't make the people that do stupid. Don't be ignorant your whole life.

No they are definitely stupid. Madden still exists as a franchise because it is still profitable even after yearly releases for the last however many years. This is because idiots buy it year after year.

Perhaps they like the game. That's makes them idiots? Maybe you're the idiot for trying to tell people what they should or shouldn't like. Yeah, I think you're the idiot.

#18 Edited by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

Surprised Tetris is there and COD is lower than expected

#19 Edited by speedfreak48t5p (9336 posts) -

All Hail Tetris!

#20 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6701 posts) -

Since I like to keep myself updated on facts, again I got most right, at least the top 4 spot-on. Last time I checked I believe Mario was just over 400 million and pokemon was closer to 250 million, Mario's still selling like a beast.

#21 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6701 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

Surprised Tetris is there and COD is lower than expected

Why does any of that surprise?

Tetris has been around since 1980 and has been released on dozens of different platforms by various publishers/developers... 34 years later people are still selling and playing tetris.

As for Call of Duty, think about it.

The first COD game came out in 2003.

Mario (started in 1981 I believe)

Pokemon started mid '90s, I think 1996 or 1997..

First Final Fantasy game was 1987

GTA, FIFA, NFS have all been around since the 90s, COD is barely a decade old.

In other words, look at the top 10 best selling franchises in 10 years time, I guarantee you that COD will move 2-3 spots up

#22 Posted by bbkkristian (14967 posts) -

I'm guessing this is NA only?

#23 Posted by charizard1605 (60984 posts) -

@bbkkristian said:

I'm guessing this is NA only?

Worldwide sales. Or why would FIFA be there? :P

@always_explicit said:

Suprised to see tetris up there.

@seanmcloughlin said:

Surprised Tetris is there and COD is lower than expected

Why? Do you forget how ubiquitous the game really is?

#24 Posted by Jag85 (5267 posts) -

I just noticed that Wikipedia under-estimated Mario's sales. For the Super Mario series, 262 million was how much it sold up until March 2011. In the following year, from April 2011 to March 2012, the Super Mario series sold an additional 13.73 million, bringing the total sales for the Super Mario sub-franchise up to 275.73 million, as of March 2012. Adding this onto the entire Mario franchise would bring its total up to 477.6 million, as of March 2012, although the total now would be slightly higher.

#25 Edited by vincent380 (2243 posts) -

NFS used to be great Rivals was alright at best. They need to go back to Underground i don't know why they refuse to do it.

#26 Posted by NFJSupreme (5404 posts) -

NFS was a big surprise but then I remember just how great Underground was.

#27 Posted by leandrro (969 posts) -

@marcheegsr said:

NFS higher than Cod? Nice.

but but but COD is the biggest franshise of all time!!!....

#28 Edited by Jag85 (5267 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@Spartan070 said:

NFS and Tetris but no Madden? Wow

It is literally the next franchise on the list with 99 million lifetime unit sales.

You forget, unlike these other franchises, Madden only sells in one country in the world.

I'm surprised how Madden is now only 1 million behind FIFA, even though that's popular in a lot more countries. But then again, FIFA has a lot of competition from Pro Evolution Soccer (which is #13 on Wikipedia's list) as far as international football games go. It looks to me like Madden has a monopoly on American football games, so that probably might be why it managed to sell so much in a single market.

#29 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@bbkkristian said:

I'm guessing this is NA only?

Worldwide sales. Or why would FIFA be there? :P

@always_explicit said:

Suprised to see tetris up there.

@seanmcloughlin said:

Surprised Tetris is there and COD is lower than expected

Why? Do you forget how ubiquitous the game really is?

Because I didn't think Tetris was really a game that still "sold" anymore really. I know how popular it is but I guess I just assumed at this stage most versions were free

#30 Posted by PinkieWinkie (1454 posts) -

Still living in Nintendo's past? Because in the present, they suck.

#31 Posted by Kevlar101 (6250 posts) -

didn't realize The Sims was so popular.

#32 Edited by NFJSupreme (5404 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

@charizard1605 said:

@bbkkristian said:

I'm guessing this is NA only?

Worldwide sales. Or why would FIFA be there? :P

@always_explicit said:

Suprised to see tetris up there.

@seanmcloughlin said:

Surprised Tetris is there and COD is lower than expected

Why? Do you forget how ubiquitous the game really is?

Because I didn't think Tetris was really a game that still "sold" anymore really. I know how popular it is but I guess I just assumed at this stage most versions were free

I'm pretty sure even if you stopped counting sales after 2000 Tetris would still be on the list.

#33 Edited by PsychoLemons (2358 posts) -

And one of the people is me,lol.

On topic, I didn't expect the Need for Speed series would make it up there. I don't get the appeal from it nowadays.

#34 Posted by Big_Pecks (5595 posts) -

@Kevlar101 said:

didn't realize The Sims was so popular.

I think it includes the Sim Cities too.

#35 Edited by MrYaotubo (2798 posts) -

@Big_Pecks said:

@Kevlar101 said:

didn't realize The Sims was so popular.

I think it includes the Sim Cities too.

No,it doesn´t.

#36 Edited by Kevlar101 (6250 posts) -

@MrYaotubo said:

@Big_Pecks said:

@Kevlar101 said:

didn't realize The Sims was so popular.

I think it includes the Sim Cities too.

No,it doesn´t.

Well which is it? Does it, or does it not? It makes a pretty big difference.

#37 Edited by MrYaotubo (2798 posts) -

@Kevlar101 said:

@MrYaotubo said:

@Big_Pecks said:

@Kevlar101 said:

didn't realize The Sims was so popular.

I think it includes the Sim Cities too.

No,it doesn´t.

Well which is it? Does it, or does it not? It makes a pretty big difference.

Sim City is counted as a different series obviously,The Sims means just that,The Sims series(The Sims 1,2,3 and expansions),every other franchise with that name counts as it´s own.

#38 Posted by Kevlar101 (6250 posts) -

@MrYaotubo said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@MrYaotubo said:

@Big_Pecks said:

@Kevlar101 said:

didn't realize The Sims was so popular.

I think it includes the Sim Cities too.

No,it doesn´t.

Well which is it? Does it, or does it not? It makes a pretty big difference.

Sim City is counted as a different series obviously,The Sims means just that,The Sims series(The Sims 1,2,3 and expansions),every other franchise with that name counts as it´s own.

Do they sell the Seasons and Pets expansions on a physical disk for The Sims 3 for Xbox 360?

#39 Posted by uninspiredcup (12365 posts) -

My freind, this list is false. Angry Birds sits at around 2 billion. These are small fry.

#40 Posted by MrYaotubo (2798 posts) -

@Kevlar101 said:

@MrYaotubo said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@MrYaotubo said:

@Big_Pecks said:

@Kevlar101 said:

didn't realize The Sims was so popular.

I think it includes the Sim Cities too.

No,it doesn´t.

Well which is it? Does it, or does it not? It makes a pretty big difference.

Sim City is counted as a different series obviously,The Sims means just that,The Sims series(The Sims 1,2,3 and expansions),every other franchise with that name counts as it´s own.

Do they sell the Seasons and Pets expansions on a physical disk for The Sims 3 for Xbox 360?

I don´t know about that,as I understand it,pretty much almost all the content released in the series is made for the PC alone with only the main entries being ported much later to other systems,wich makes sense since EA stated that over 90% of the sales of the series are on the PC when they reached the 150 million milestone. So I have no idea lol.

Also regarding what we were discussing,here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises

The Sims is up there with 175 Million and Sim City is also in that list with 18 Million,so they count as different franchises like I said.

#41 Edited by Jag85 (5267 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

My freind, this list is false. Angry Birds sits at around 2 billion. These are small fry.

This is a list of highest-selling games, not games with most free downloads.

#42 Edited by Kevlar101 (6250 posts) -

@MrYaotubo said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@MrYaotubo said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@MrYaotubo said:

@Big_Pecks said:

@Kevlar101 said:

didn't realize The Sims was so popular.

I think it includes the Sim Cities too.

No,it doesn´t.

Well which is it? Does it, or does it not? It makes a pretty big difference.

Sim City is counted as a different series obviously,The Sims means just that,The Sims series(The Sims 1,2,3 and expansions),every other franchise with that name counts as it´s own.

Do they sell the Seasons and Pets expansions on a physical disk for The Sims 3 for Xbox 360?

I don´t know about that,as I understand it,pretty much almost all the content released in the series is made for the PC alone with only the main entries being ported much later to other systems,wich makes sense since EA stated that over 90% of the sales of the series are on the PC when they reached the 150 million milestone. So I have no idea lol.

Also regarding what we were discussing,here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises

The Sims is up there with 175 Million and Sim City is also in that list with 18 Million,so they count as different franchises like I said.

I do agree that Sims for PC is better, for sure. But still, I don't understand why people trash on console Sims so much. It's not as good, but it's still far from bad.

#43 Edited by MrYaotubo (2798 posts) -

@Kevlar101 said:

@MrYaotubo said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@MrYaotubo said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@MrYaotubo said:

@Big_Pecks said:

@Kevlar101 said:

didn't realize The Sims was so popular.

I think it includes the Sim Cities too.

No,it doesn´t.

Well which is it? Does it, or does it not? It makes a pretty big difference.

Sim City is counted as a different series obviously,The Sims means just that,The Sims series(The Sims 1,2,3 and expansions),every other franchise with that name counts as it´s own.

Do they sell the Seasons and Pets expansions on a physical disk for The Sims 3 for Xbox 360?

I don´t know about that,as I understand it,pretty much almost all the content released in the series is made for the PC alone with only the main entries being ported much later to other systems,wich makes sense since EA stated that over 90% of the sales of the series are on the PC when they reached the 150 million milestone. So I have no idea lol.

Also regarding what we were discussing,here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises

The Sims is up there with 175 Million and Sim City is also in that list with 18 Million,so they count as different franchises like I said.

I do agree that Sims for PC is better, for sure. But still, I don't understand why people trash on console Sims so much. It's not as good, but it's still far from bad.

Oh yeah,the console ports are generally fine but sadly they lack most of the features and content of the PC versions and quite frankly,KB/M controls for this series feels quite a bit better than a controller but for the vanilla experience they are ok.

#44 Edited by Capitan_Kid (6628 posts) -

Interesting. Had no idea Need for Speed and Final Fantasy were THAT popular. Especially NFS. Do they still make those games?

#45 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26863 posts) -

I had no idea FIFA was that big. Im not surprised to see tetris mario and pokemon though.

#46 Edited by The_Last_Ride (74264 posts) -

Not really surprised by this to be honest

#47 Posted by charizard1605 (60984 posts) -

@Capitan_Kid said:

Interesting. Had no idea Need for Speed and Final Fantasy were THAT popular. Especially NFS. Do they still make those games?

One a year every year.

Rivals just came out in November, I think. it was great.

#48 Edited by Jag85 (5267 posts) -

@finalfantasy94 said:

I had no idea FIFA was that big. Im not surprised to see tetris mario and pokemon though.

Football ("soccer") franchises like FIFA and PES are huge in Europe, Asia, the Middle East, and South America. I wouldn't be surprised if North American gamers aren't familiar with them though. I was similarly surprised to see the Madden franchise with 99 million sales, since it's mostly unknown here in Europe.

#49 Posted by charizard1605 (60984 posts) -

@Jag85 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

I had no idea FIFA was that big. Im not surprised to see tetris mario and pokemon though.

Football ("soccer") franchises like FIFA and PES are huge in Europe, Asia, the Middle East, and South America. I wouldn't be surprised if North American gamers aren't familiar with them though. I was similarly surprised to see the Madden franchise with 99 million sales, since it's mostly unknown here in Europe.

FIFA tops the charts for months every year once upon US release as well.

Football is getting more and more popular even in the US, especially since the 2010 world cup