There's a Sore Thumb in this Generation of Consoles

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by conkertheking1 (833 posts) -

Isn't this year exciting for the console race? By now, each of the big three home console competitors have made their 8th generation entries. They all have their similarities, but there's one that undoubtedly sticks out like a sore thumb.

This maverick of a hardware developer seems to have taken the less popular route. They have chosen to allow players to transfer downloaded games from from their older console to the newer one, which is also backwards-compatible with last gen's games and controllers. this allows their consumers to return or discard the outdated hardware without losing any data.

Of course, this isn't the only difference. The oddball company has also refrained from charging for improved online services, which saves the consumers a lot of money in the long-run. Also, the oddball keeps their tendency to target a young age group, which really breathes life into an otherwise generically mature-oriented industry.

But perhaps the most obvious thing that sets them apart this gen is the fact that they released their console a whole year before the competition. While making the hardware unusually under-powered, this has also given them a longer opportunity to make new games, which results in a more fruitful library than the competitors this holiday season.

Now, here's the question: Can you name the oddball?

#2 Posted by PannicAtack (20849 posts) -

I didn't think much of the Wii U until I saw what was happening with the competing systems.

It's hilarious, really.

#3 Edited by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

i guess you're talking about nintendo.

so, what now?

#4 Posted by freedomfreak (38143 posts) -

Nintendo charging for WiiU online would be an absolute shameful thing to do. It's not really a win considering how it's not up there with XBL.

I'd be applauding them if they pulled that off, and not charge for it.

Besides that, the WiiU will serve only for playing Nintendo games. That's about all it's gonna be good for. It will suffer from droughts, and it will most likely end up being my least played console by miles.

#5 Edited by Randolph (10344 posts) -

They don't charge for online because they know their online is grossly inferior to the other two, not because they are just nice guys who only want to put a smile on your face.

#6 Edited by Joedgabe (5090 posts) -

I don't have a Wii U.. but i've heard their online is pretty horrible.. worse than free PSN ( which is pretty fair, is free and all ). To charge people for online you first have to build up a certain amount of people to back you up on those services. Those being ( indies / and 3rd party developers ) which Nintendo is hugely lacking. Further more... nintendo games aren't really online material, Aside from Mario Kart and Super Smash bro's what other online game do you see them implementing? Also.. the Super Smash bro's online for brawl was severely horrible...let's hope the new one is better.

#7 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16439 posts) -

The 3DS is just a better experience from Nintendo than the Wii U. I am picking on the Zelda bundle 3DS XL this coming week.

#8 Posted by Shewgenja (7915 posts) -

MS stopped making games for the 360 with their first party a year ago as well, so they are almost on par LOL

#9 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42524 posts) -

MS stopped making games for the 360 with their first party a year ago as well, so they are almost on par LOL

No, for Project Spark and Fable Anniversary are still being worked on for the Xbox 360.

#10 Edited by Shewgenja (7915 posts) -

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

@Shewgenja said:

No, for Project Spark and Fable Anniversary are still being worked on for the Xbox 360.

Ports or are they not coming to the XBone at all? Huge difference in making an exclusive and making a cross-gen multiplat.

#11 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42524 posts) -

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

@Shewgenja said:

Ports or are they not coming to the XBone at all? Huge difference in making an exclusive and making a cross-gen multiplat.

You said MS stopped making games for the XBox 360 with their first party; that is inaccurate. Two of their first party studios are developing a game for the Xbox 360, one being Project Spark and the other being Fable Anniversary. Spark being developed for the Xbox 360, Windows, and Xbox One, and Fable Anniversary being developed only for the Xbox 360. You tried, at least.

#12 Edited by Shewgenja (7915 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

@Shewgenja said:

You said MS stopped making games for the XBox 360 with their first party; that is inaccurate. Two of their first party studios are developing a game for the Xbox 360, one being Project Spark and the other being Fable Anniversary. Spark being developed for the Xbox 360, Windows, and Xbox One, and Fable Anniversary being developed only for the Xbox 360. You tried, at least.

"Project Spark" being a project without an actual name yet and being cross-gen isn't exactly an argument carrying veracity in this context. However, I do stand corrected on the Fable game. I guess when I compare that to what Sony did not the PS3 this past year, including putting a GoTY contender up, it should be forgivable that I overlook MSes efforts in that department.

#13 Posted by Naylord (667 posts) -

This whole damn generation is terrible. It's weird reading all the positive press of people saying they didn't care for ps3 but love the ps4. The PS3 was awesome and the ps4 is incredibly dissapointing. I hate how price keeps coming up. You spend a lot of time with a console so I'd rather spend a lot of money and get one with all the trimmings than cheap out and get something that is half-baked. I guess I'm in the minority.

#14 Posted by metal_zombie (2284 posts) -

@Naylord said:

This whole damn generation is terrible. It's weird reading all the positive press of people saying they didn't care for ps3 but love the ps4. The PS3 was awesome and the ps4 is incredibly dissapointing. I hate how price keeps coming up. You spend a lot of time with a console so I'd rather spend a lot of money and get one with all the trimmings than cheap out and get something that is half-baked. I guess I'm in the minority.

They all went the cheap route but it's not bad for consoles. last gen was an odd one because never before did console come so close to rivaling pc level of performance.

#15 Edited by KBFloYd (12727 posts) -

you mean the Pii U?

lol

j/k

#16 Posted by Basinboy (10918 posts) -

Nintendo doesn't charge for online because they're profitable in other aspects. Err, were profitable, rather.

Sony found a rather brilliant way to transition into paid subscriptions from free multiplayer and Nintendo would certainly love to do the same thing, if they could. But the problem is, that's not where their priorities are - they've never really got their heads around the benefits of online play.