The Xbox One vs. PS4 1080p debate is an unwinnable war

• 61 results
#1 Edited by misterpmedia (3364 posts) -

Discuss. Wonder what happened to 'frame rate is king'...

"It's the console wars. It's Sega does what Nintendon't," McCoy told GameSpot at PAX East about why he believes the 1080p debate has gathered so much attention this year. "There's going to be games that look better on one or the other. There's going to be exclusives that look better, for whatever reason. And we never set out to engage in the tech war. I feel like that's a war that no one actually wins."

"We consciously just decided that we're going to make a game that's fun and new and exciting and then worry about making it as good-looking as we can," he added. "And I don't think we made an ugly game, but no one in the office will tell you we made the prettiest game out there. Or [the one that] runs at the highest resolution."

McCoy teased that Respawn is experimenting with ways in which it can improve visual performance, but overall, he doesn't want to get wrapped up in a debate about specs. It's just not worth it, he says.

"We have more that we can do. We're looking at performance stuff on Xbox One; the PC patch added some stuff; and we're working with NVIDIA for some things on PC as well," McCoy said. "At the end of the day we don't really care. People were roasting us because we run at higher than 720p but we're not a solid locked [60fps] yet. And it's like, 'Yeah, well you know what, guess what? The GPU isn't always a thing that limits your frame rate and your performance.' So we hit the highest resolution we could without limiting the GPU."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the.../1100-6419057/

#2 Posted by sts106mat (19072 posts) -

nothing to discuss, the man talks sense.

#3 Edited by lglz1337 (3208 posts) -

ofcourse you would say that if your game looks like arse

bbbut the fun yes you can also make fun games on ps1

#4 Posted by GoldenElementXL (2831 posts) -

Why is this still news? A console with better specs will run games better at higher resolutions. That's just crazy talk!

So when is someone from the industry going to tell us what to expect from say, a PC vs PS4 1440p debate? Do we even know how they would compare???

#5 Posted by NFJSupreme (5187 posts) -

It's only dumb because pc is the only platform that plays every game in 1080p+

#6 Posted by chikenfriedrice (9977 posts) -

Unwinnable for the XB1 haha...I kid I love my XB1.

#7 Posted by lostrib (34969 posts) -

Just make good games, and no one will care

#8 Posted by intotheminx (597 posts) -

Titanfall is pretty fun. On top of that, I don't think it looks bad on PC maxed out. Nothing to see here. Move along.

#9 Edited by lbjkurono23 (12544 posts) -

Why is this still news? A console with better specs will run games better at higher resolutions. That's just crazy talk!

So when is someone from the industry going to tell us what to expect from say, a PC vs PS4 1440p debate? Do we even know how they would compare???

Why would you compare them in the first place? At least in the x1 vs ps4 it makes sense since they're both consoles.

ps: they don't care about resolution, but are looking into patching it in the future. Which is it respawn?

#10 Posted by jsmoke03 (12785 posts) -

yes because the specs and the games are there. if you are on the losing side, then you are losing the war.

btw i cant really take this thing seriously coming from respawn who made 792p game.

#11 Posted by shawn30 (4364 posts) -

Can't really disagree with what he said. You get the most out of the console you are developing far, and you nail the fun part first and everything comes after that. I've never given a shit about 1080p and never will. Make the game great and then if you can deliver it at the highest resolution, fantastic. If you can't then nail the great part and deliver it however you can. Titanfall does this very, very well IMHO.

#12 Posted by misterpmedia (3364 posts) -

@GoldenElementXL said:

Why would you compare them in the first place? At least in the x1 vs ps4 it makes sense since they're both consoles.

ps: they don't care about resolution, but are looking into patching it in the future. Which is it respawn?

It's fun though so people don't care if the game performs badly lol.

#13 Posted by clone01 (24564 posts) -

@lglz1337 said:

So why don't you just game on PC? It trumps consoles. Unless you're just a pathetic fanboy, but you're not one of those, right?

#14 Posted by blackace (20375 posts) -

True. Eventually all the games will be 1080p anyways. The game is fun and plays great. That's more important then anything else. They'll probably patch it once DX12 is fully launched. Then it will be 1080p 60fps and gamers won't know what to say. lol!!

#15 Edited by lbjkurono23 (12544 posts) -

@lbjkurono23 said:
@GoldenElementXL said:

But how much fun can you really cram into 792P?

#16 Posted by freedomfreak (39374 posts) -

Well, he's not wrong.

#17 Posted by misterpmedia (3364 posts) -

@misterpmedia said:

@lbjkurono23 said:
@GoldenElementXL said:

But how much fun can you really cram into 792P?

about almost up to 60fps worth.

#18 Posted by Heil68 (43585 posts) -

With the PS4 being the worlds most powerful video game console to have ever been created, it's impossible to beat. Kudos to respawn for the acknowledgment.

#19 Edited by NFJSupreme (5187 posts) -

@blackace: all games will never be 1080p on either console. Especially in the future.

#20 Posted by Silent-Assasin7 (1496 posts) -

I think it's funny how all these consolites who used to say resolution and graphics didn't matter back when their systems were running at 500p, all of a sudden can't stop talking about it just because the 900PS4 hits 1080p at 30 fps now and then. Congrats, you've dipped into 2006-era PC gaming.

#21 Posted by lbjkurono23 (12544 posts) -

I think it's funny how all these consolites who used to say resolution and graphics didn't matter back when their systems were running at 500p, all of a sudden can't stop talking about it just because the 900PS4 hits 1080p at 30 fps now and then. Congrats, you've dipped into 2006-era PC gaming.

No different than last gen, its always been a huge talking/fighting point. Same war just at different resolutions. Wishful thinking and reality aren't the same thing. The last part of your post is false.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates

#22 Posted by tormentos (17293 posts) -

@GoldenElementXL said:

Doing DC for MS like always...

We don't care about resolution but we are looking into a patch.

lol

They did the same claiming how Titanfall went to xbox one,because of the cloud,only to be found out recently that sony declined to have the game on PS4 and wanted to help them with a Vita version..hahahaha

#23 Posted by blackace (20375 posts) -

@blackace: all games will never be 1080p on either console. Especially in the future.

Wait and see. The developers are just getting their feet wet. Wait until they truly dive into each system and new tools and drivers are released to help optimize the games. I doubt we will see many games below 1080p by the time 2016 rolls around.

#24 Posted by tormentos (17293 posts) -
@blackace said:

@sts106mat said:

True. Eventually all the games will be 1080p anyways. The game is fun and plays great. That's more important then anything else. They'll probably patch it once DX12 is fully launched. Then it will be 1080p 60fps and gamers won't know what to say. lol!!

Wow man... The xbox one can barely do sub 900p on Titanfall with drops to 33 FPS and you believe the xbox one will run all games at 1080p and 60 FPS.? lol

I should bookmark this one to..lol

#25 Posted by lbjkurono23 (12544 posts) -

@lbjkurono23 said:
@GoldenElementXL said:

Doing DC for MS like always...

We don't care about resolution but we are looking into a patch.

lol

They did the same claiming how Titanfall went to xbox one,because of the cloud,only to be found out recently that sony declined to have the game on PS4 and wanted to help them with a Vita version..hahahaha

Yeah, pretty contradictory stuff from respawn.

Maybe they were on a mission to find out the ps4 specs for Microsoft. lol

#26 Posted by blackace (20375 posts) -

@blackace said:

@sts106mat said:

Wow man... The xbox one can barely do sub 900p on Titanfall with drops to 33 FPS and you believe the xbox one will run all games at 1080p and 60 FPS.? lol

I should bookmark this one to..lol

I didn't say they all will run at 60fps. There will definitely be 1080p / 30fps games as well. I said all will be at 1080P native. At the end of the generation we'll see if I'm right or not.

#27 Posted by cainetao11 (16973 posts) -

@lglz1337 said:

Yeah you can, but Titanfall in no way shape or form looks on the level of a PS1 game. I for one am still playing games on my PS3 even though I have a gaming PC, and Xbox one. Because, imo, we have reached a level where games look great. I am not all wrapped up in "this NEEDS to look like a next gen game". I can always get that on my gaming PC. I want to play games I like, and graphics are a small part of that for me. I play Titanfall on X1 because I have friends that play it there. I'll sacrifice teh bestest graphics in order to play, and laugh with friends. I did the same with Diablo 3 on PS3.

#28 Posted by NFJSupreme (5187 posts) -

@blackace: resolution on console will never be a standard. It will always depend on the game. Future games will be more demanding. Have better effects and lighting. These require resources. Resources that are limited on console. This is why no matter how good they get at coding for a console the resolution will never be standard. If you want 1080p in all games expect them to look no different than launch games. If they are truly going to push these consoles then the resolution of future games will vary. Deciding the ideal resolution for a game on a console is part of the optimization process. This ideal resolution might not always be 1080p. 1080p for all games is still a pc only thing this gen.

#29 Posted by LanceX2 (305 posts) -

This place is neogaf but on a 1 hour delay. Pure copy n paste lol

#30 Edited by Prawephet (186 posts) -

@lbjkurono23: Microsoft told them to patch the game up to higher resolutions and to dangle the carrot in front of the fanboys. I guarantee you respawn isn't actually looking in to higher res. It was just Microsoft forcing them to make a statement during the launch to attempt to drive more sales.

#31 Posted by cfisher2833 (1597 posts) -

Not being able to run games at 1080p in the year 2014 is pathetic; not being able to run games at 1080p even though your far cheaper competitor is able to do so makes it even more pathetic. That's all there is to it.

#32 Posted by Prawephet (186 posts) -

@blackace: As tools get better resolutions will drop. Making a pretty game is about more than just resolution.

#33 Posted by cainetao11 (16973 posts) -

@lbjkurono23 said:
@GoldenElementXL said:

What you said is the truth, though. "game performs badly" by what criteria has "badly" been universally defined? Game looks pretty clear, detailed and sharp when I play it. Are there more detailed, clear, sharp games? Sure. Is that knowledge making the game NOT FUN? Then PC gaming, and Games that are always aiming to push those boundaries are the games that gamer should look to play. I am not one of those gamers, and this dev, from the sound of it, realizes that, that is not representative of the gaming consumer base as a whole.

#34 Edited by misterpmedia (3364 posts) -

@lancex2 said:

This place is neogaf but on a 1 hour delay. Pure copy n paste lol

So? Tell us all how your really feel.

#35 Posted by cainetao11 (16973 posts) -

Not being able to run games at 1080p in the year 2014 is pathetic; not being able to run games at 1080p even though your far cheaper competitor is able to do so makes it even more pathetic. That's all there is to it.

That is how some feel, no doubt. But many others, want to play games they like, or hope to, and have accepted that we have reached a point where games look great, like TLOU on PS3, or Halo 4 on 360. I love the look of those games even though I know there are better looking games. I have great looking games on my PC. But I still have fun playing games at Standard Definition, at my one of my friends' on the Wii. There are many of us that have fun, appreciate a great resolution, but are not married to it.

#36 Edited by PAL360 (26747 posts) -

@Silent-Assasin7 said:

There were always console graphic debates. Nes vs Master System, Megadrive vs Snes vs Neo Geo vs Turbografx 16 vs Amiga 500 vs Atari ST, Jaguar vs 3DO vs Playstation vs Saturn, vs N64, etc, etc...

You are probably too young to remember :P

#37 Posted by tormentos (17293 posts) -

@PAL360 said:

@Silent-Assasin7 said:

There were always console graphic debates. Nes vs Master System, Megadrive vs Snes vs Neo Geo vs Turbografx 16 vs Amiga 500 vs Atari ST, Jaguar vs 3DO vs Playstation vs Saturn, vs N64, etc, etc...

http://www.gamespot.com/profile/tormentos/blog/

I touch that on my blog to..

#38 Posted by xhawk27 (7232 posts) -

Sorry but I only play the Resolution. Gameplay....please only graphics matter for a game. I play only the best looking games.

#39 Edited by Guy_Brohski (285 posts) -

The biggest victory for Xbox One graphically so far this gen is Strider. According to Digital Foundry, Strider is the only game on Xbox One that is technically superior to the PS4 version. But I see this as a shimmering (no pun intended) ray of hope for Xbox users. There is still hope that one day, another multiplat game might be better on the bone.

#40 Posted by Couth_ (10029 posts) -

@blackace said:

Eventually all the games will be 1080p anyways.

You mean like next gen.. maybe

#41 Posted by SolidTy (42538 posts) -

@PAL360 said:

@Silent-Assasin7 said:

Yeah, I have magazines going back 20 years, it's true.

Console graphic debates have been going on forever. Just younger people/inexperience people seem to take an interest in when they finally became aware and never bother to learn history...but we have to read the inaccuracies they bother to type none-the-less.

#42 Posted by misterpmedia (3364 posts) -

@misterpmedia said:

@lbjkurono23 said:
@GoldenElementXL said:

What you said is the truth, though. "game performs badly" by what criteria has "badly" been universally defined? Game looks pretty clear, detailed and sharp when I play it. Are there more detailed, clear, sharp games? Sure. Is that knowledge making the game NOT FUN? Then PC gaming, and Games that are always aiming to push those boundaries are the games that gamer should look to play. I am not one of those gamers, and this dev, from the sound of it, realizes that, that is not representative of the gaming consumer base as a whole.

who knows I'm going off the tech anal from DF, anecdotal complaints and now Respawn even admitting it isn't all rosey, putting 2+2 together here so it's safe to say. It's probably fun, without a doubt, but wouldn't you like it to run as advertised? Just a thought.

#43 Edited by PAL360 (26747 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

@PAL360 said:

@Silent-Assasin7 said:

Console graphic debates have been going on forever. Just younger people/inexperience people seem to take an interest in when they finally became aware and never bother to learn history...but we have to read the inaccuracies they bother to type none-the-less.

So do i! Hobby Consolas, a Spanish mag i used to buy in early 90s, always had comparison pics between multiple versions of multiplats. I remember loving their accuracy on their pic and specs comparisons.

#44 Posted by Pray_to_me (2834 posts) -

I find it funny you rush in here to defend the xbone then you're supposedly a "Hermit" lol sure buddy.

#45 Edited by SolidTy (42538 posts) -

@PAL360 said:

@SolidTy said:

@PAL360 said:

@Silent-Assasin7 said:

So do i! Hobby Consolas, a Spanish mag i used to buy in early 90s, always had comparison pics between multiple versions of multiplats. I remember loving their accuracy on their pic and specs comparisons.

Yeah! It was before the internet and even when the internet was small...those magazines and their in-depth console comparisons were all we had!

Pixels, Polygons, textures, resolution, GPUs, sound cards, frame rate, et cetera.

Those comparisons were very exciting too! :)

#46 Edited by SolidTy (42538 posts) -
@Pray_to_me said:

@Silent-Assasin7 said:

I find it funny you rush in here to defend the xbone then you're supposedly a "Hermit" lol sure buddy.

"Hermit today, Lemming tomorrow" cards are in the mail. :)

"Hermit today, (Fanboy choice) tomorrow" custom cards are also available in five new colors!

#47 Posted by ConanTheStoner (4835 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Just make good games, and no one will care

Yep.

I've never given two shits about a games resolution. Really just don't care. The higher the better for sure, but it's not something I think about before making a purchase.

Now framerate is a bit different. It can directly affect the gameplay in a meaningful way. Action games, racing games and to a lesser extent platformers, do benefit from a high and steady frame rate.

Even then though, it's all secondary to a game simply being well designed and fun.

I hope that most devs share their sentiments and don't go out of their way to appease loud mouth fanboys that are simply out for bragging rights.

Make the game look and perform as good as you can within reason, but don't put all your eggs in that basket.

#48 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (5843 posts) -

While I agree (I did expect 1080p to be the standard this gen), I totally agree with the OP quotes. At the end of the day, if the game is good, who cares if it's 720p or 1080p. As long as it looks good, it isn't the end of the world.

#49 Edited by PAL360 (26747 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

@PAL360 said:

@SolidTy said:

@PAL360 said:

@Silent-Assasin7 said:

Yeah! It was before the internet and even when the internet was small...those magazines and their in-depth console comparisons were all we had!

Pixels, Polygons, textures, resolution, GPUs, sound cards, frame rate, et cetera.

Indeed. Don't forget the sprite war! As a megadrive and Snes owner, i remember being fascinated by Neo Geo graphics and those huge sprites in fighting games megadrive and Snes could only dream about. But damn, Neo Geo was like the forbidden fruit very few kids could afford :P

#50 Edited by SolidTy (42538 posts) -

@PAL360 said:

@SolidTy said:

@PAL360 said:

@SolidTy said:

@PAL360 said:

@Silent-Assasin7 said:

Indeed. Don't forget the sprite war! As a megadrive and Snes owner, i remember being fascinated by Neo Geo graphics and those huge sprites in fighting games megadrive and Snes could only dream about. But damn, Neo Geo was like the forbidden fruit very few kids could afford :P

Oh yeah, Sprites...lol. Those were a big deal and people don't even know. Neo Geo was super ultimate, even with arcade controllers packed, it was awesome.