The worst part about MGS GZ is not the lenght.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by lightleggy (15831 posts) -

It's the play style.

The horrible play style from Portable ops and PW...yeah, the whole "operations" thing is a huge turnoff for me.

I completely hated that style from those previous 2 games, how every single "mission" was simply going from point A to point B and every single one of them could be cleared in 5 minutes as much.

I bet you guys 20 bucks that every mission in GZ will be about the same lenght, and with the same style (simply go from point A to point B) and that you'll be backtracking constantly through areas.

The whole operations playstyle was designed to cope with the limitations the PSP had, it was a horrible idea to bring it to a home console.

I just want the old MGS back, sneaking in a huge base/compound with no interruptions, no bs "mission cleared" signs...I seriously hope that phantom pain goes with the classic style rather than the "ops" one.

#2 Edited by Mozelleple112 (6609 posts) -

"The worst part about MGS GZ is not the lenght."

I bet you guys 20 bucks that every mission in GZ will be about the same lenght, and with the same style (simply go from point A to point B) and that you'll be backtracking constantly through areas.

Lenght Lenght Lenght Lenght Lenght Lenght Lenght Lenght Lenght Lenght Lenght Lenght Lenght Lenght

Lenght Lenght Lenght Lenght Lenght Lenght Lenght Lenght Lenght Lenght Lenght Lenght Lenght Lenght

#3 Edited by JangoWuzHere (15905 posts) -

Nope, Peace Walker is easily the most playable MGS game. More of that could only be a good thing.

#4 Posted by AmazonAngry (546 posts) -

That's actually the huge draw for me. I put over 150 hours into Peace Walker. One of my favorite MGS games.

#5 Posted by hippiesanta (9715 posts) -

Stop whining .... peace paul walker gameplay was superb ....... and the cqc is like Liam Nesson in Taken

#7 Posted by hippiesanta (9715 posts) -

@killatwill15:

Young man .... u dont have the right to "F-bomb" other MGS fans like me......... dont say anything if you ask your mom to buy you a console

#8 Posted by BigBoss255 (3538 posts) -

I agree.

I hate the way MGS4 was divided into acts and PW's missions were even worse. I'd much rather it was set in a single atmospheric base like Shadow Moses and Grozny Grad.

That said, Big Boss was a mercenary by this point, he was no longer an agent. It wouldn't make sense to have him doing just one long mission.

#9 Edited by always_explicit (2583 posts) -

"The worst part about MGS GZ is not the lenght."

@lightleggy said:

tis merely a spelling mistake...

#10 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (17047 posts) -

Nope, Peace Walker is easily the most playable MGS game. More of that could only be a good thing.

I disagree. The monster hunter style boss battles were infuriating. If I want to play Monster Hunter I'll play Monster Hunter. Keep it out of MGS please, thanks.

#11 Edited by Gue1 (9006 posts) -

completely agree with you TC. I tried and I tried playing Peace Walker over and over again but couldn't because of the reason you stated and more like (I obviously played the HD version since I hate handhelds):

the button set-up it's the most horrible thing I have ever seen yet and then the fact that there are so many small but totally disconnected maps ala PS1 games like FF. You run forward for a little bit and then a black screen, new map opens up, run a little more an another black screen... It as annoying as hell. How this game has an 89/100 on Metacritic is beyond any comprehension. And not to mention the super lazy story-telling approach to save on budget.

But yeah, based on the nature of an open-world game it's pretty much guaranteed that what you say will carry to MGSV but I don't think it will be as annoying since everything will be interconnected seamlessly. I mean, do you hate open-world games like me? Because this is exactly why I don't like open world games very much.

#12 Posted by X_CAPCOM_X (5994 posts) -

Haven't played peace walker yet, but I don't care about the missions structure as long as the game plays well.

I don't think the series is ever going to get back to MGS2 levels with all of the whiny shitty 'fans.'

MGS2 was and still is so good.

#13 Edited by silversix_ (13432 posts) -

Graphics aren't anything good looking either. I mean is this supposed to be impressive? Where are the Fox Engine Kojima was talking about, saving it for next gen??? This is VERY simplistic looking and the only detailed things are the characters, weapons and clothing.

#14 Edited by ConanTheStoner (4462 posts) -

Yeah, no. Portable Ops just plain sucked. PW did it very well though. It's great to hear that they'll be fleshing that structure out for MGS5. I do somewhat miss the big mission style of MGS 1, 2 and 3, but it's obvious that Kojima isn't going for that anymore. At least PW offered up more gameplay than the previous titles by far which means that MGS5 might be a HUGE game and not just by MGS standards. I'd rather have it like this than MGS4 which also broke up the game into segments yet still offered very little gameplay.

@X_CAPCOM_X: Yeah man, MGS2 is fantastic, but Kojima will never put that much effort into a game again. Kind of sucks when you go out of your way to make everything so cohesive and air tight only to have fans bitch about the pov character.

#15 Edited by X_CAPCOM_X (5994 posts) -

@ConanTheStoner: Right? It was amazing! He was a pure badass in the end anyway, so I'm guessing most of the scrubs didn't play it.

#16 Posted by ConanTheStoner (4462 posts) -

This is VERY simplistic looking and the only detailed things are the characters, weapons and clothing.

Pretty much describes every MGS game besides MGS3.

#17 Posted by silversix_ (13432 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

This is VERY simplistic looking and the only detailed things are the characters, weapons and clothing.

that's not true at all. mgs1 looked very good for its time. mgs2 looked extremely good for a ps2 title. mgs3 was and still is a good looking game. mgs4 on the other hand i'd agree. everything but characters/weapons was low rez with ps2 textures. This was supposed to be amazing ballz Fox Engine, so where its at exactly?

#18 Posted by ConanTheStoner (4462 posts) -

@ConanTheStoner said:

@silversix_ said:

that's not true at all. mgs1 looked very good for its time. mgs2 looked extremely good for a ps2 title. mgs3 was and still is a good looking game. mgs4 on the other hand i'd agree. everything but characters/weapons was low rez with ps2 textures. This was supposed to be amazing ballz Fox Engine, so where its at exactly?

Not saying that MGS and MGS2 didn't look great at the time. Hell, MGS2 blew my mind with it's effects (rain, smoke, explosions, footprints, steam etc..). But besides MGS3, it seems environment details have always played 2nd fiddle to characters and weapons in MGS.

I'll agree, I was expecting more from the visuals on this one, but at least it does look really nice in motion. It may not be spectacular from a tech standpoint, but that MGS style always seems to bring things up a notch.

And if the PS4 version does maintain a steady 60 fps like MGS2 then I'll be more than happy to give up some of the detail.

#19 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6609 posts) -

Graphics aren't anything good looking either. I mean is this supposed to be impressive? Where are the Fox Engine Kojima was talking about, saving it for next gen??? This is VERY simplistic looking and the only detailed things are the characters, weapons and clothing.

What version is that? If its PS3/360 I'm mindblown but if its PS4, it really isn't that impressive.

#20 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38116 posts) -

I hope this isn't a PS4 or X1 screenshot. The lighting and colours are nice but the environment details and overall IQ of the image is bad. The grass and fence are pretty crappy

#21 Edited by R4gn4r0k (15903 posts) -

What is this crap ? This looks nothing like what they originally showed us.

Please tell me that's PS3/360 gameplay, but by the resolution I'm judging it's not :(

This is a fucking joke.

#22 Posted by R4gn4r0k (15903 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin: @Mozelleple112:

The resolution of those screens is 1080p. PS3 and 360 won't pull that off in this game so that IS indeed PS4/Xbone pictures.

Biggest graphical downgrade I've seen this gen so far.

#23 Edited by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

@killatwill15:

Young man .... u dont have the right to "F-bomb" other MGS fans like me......... dont say anything if you ask your mom to buy you a console

I got your mom to buy me a console son,

after I f-bombed the bitch.

mgs fan,

peace walker was shit,

it is only mildly playable on psp or vita,

but it isn't that great of a game,

only mgs 1 and 4 were good in terms of gameplay,

point of reference, I own all of them

#24 Posted by Netret0120 (1863 posts) -

As long as it is fun and has replay value, i will be happy. I do kinda miss the One area mission eg:Tanker(Best setting) Shadow Moses

#25 Posted by silversix_ (13432 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

I hope this isn't a PS4 or X1 screenshot. The lighting and colours are nice but the environment details and overall IQ of the image is bad. The grass and fence are pretty crappy

These are next gen pics as you can see its 1080p and has anti aliasing. Their Fox Engine is a joke if this is how the game supposed to look like

#26 Posted by EndlessInfinity (219 posts) -

@silversix_:

Damn that's unimpressive for a next gen game I hope Konami isn't trying to pull a Ubisoft

#27 Edited by JangoWuzHere (15905 posts) -

@JangoWuzHere said:

I disagree. The monster hunter style boss battles were infuriating. If I want to play Monster Hunter I'll play Monster Hunter. Keep it out of MGS please, thanks.

Not sure what you mean. The Monster Hunter battles were only a small bonus part of the game.

#28 Posted by JangoWuzHere (15905 posts) -

@silversix_:

Damn that's unimpressive for a next gen game I hope Konami isn't trying to pull a Ubisoft

I think it's your fault for thinking that this game is a next gen title. This game was built around the PS3 and 360 hardware. You are only going to see a somewhat better looking version of the game on PS4 and X1.

#29 Edited by silversix_ (13432 posts) -

@endlessinfinity said:

@silversix_:

They aren't the only ones, Crapcom did the same with Deep Downgrade. You show an amazing bs demo and tell everyone its real time to build fucktone of hype, then, months pass and you downgrade the shit outta your game. For example, look at how flat and blocky everything is in these pic (right click for full screen). The worst part is that these pics have zero aliasing and i don't believe the bone/ps4 versions will achieve that so these are touchedup pics, real game will look even worst :(

#30 Posted by EndlessInfinity (219 posts) -

@silversix_:

I wouldn't be surprised if it was because they didn't want spend more of their budget on pushing graphics as opposed to things such as marketing and etc

#31 Edited by Nengo_Flow (9200 posts) -

Like MGS but I really hate the style of gameplay some time, the mechanics.

GZ has improved alot and is really fast paced in combat compare to the cluncky one before.

What I still hate is the factthat you still got to wait for an action icon pop up to be able to do some actions. Like you are running and want to jump over something or quickly climb something, NO! you walk up to it, stand in front of it in the correct position and camera angle, wait for the icon (press X), no you can jump over a box or climb up a ladder. Same fucking shit when you want to grab or choke an enemy, you got to stand 2 inches away and wait for the icon to show up so you can press the button. Jesus Christ I dont have all that time to wait.

Why do i need an action icon to show up why cant I just do flawlessly like every game out there (Uncharted, Assassins Creed, etc.)

#32 Edited by hippiesanta (9715 posts) -

@killatwill15 said:

@hippiesanta said:

@killatwill15:

I got my mom to buy me a console son,

after I f-bombed the bitch.

mgs fan,

peace walker was shit,

it is only mildly playable on psp or vita,

but it isn't that great of a game,

only mgs 1 and 4 were good in terms of gameplay,

point of reference, my mom's money own all of them

Child ...... MGS4 is my favourite of all MGS ....... and peacewalker also availiable on PS3 ... the platform I'm using to play peacewalker ....

#33 Posted by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

yeah randomly calling people children makes you older,

obviously you haven't hit puberty,

you sound hurt because you still live with your mom,

its ok one day you will make it out of her house.

just like one day you will realise that peacewalker is junk,

and should've never been ported to ps3

#34 Edited by Salt_The_Fries (8083 posts) -

Typical backwards Japanese game design philosophy, that's why.

#35 Posted by ConanTheStoner (4462 posts) -

They aren't the only ones, Crapcom did the same with Deep Downgrade. You show an amazing bs demo and tell everyone its real time to build fucktone of hype, then, months pass and you downgrade the shit outta your game. For example, look at how flat and blocky everything is in these pic (right click for full screen). The worst part is that these pics have zero aliasing and i don't believe the bone/ps4 versions will achieve that so these are touchedup pics, real game will look even worst :(

Well I wouldn't be surprised. MGS4 also had a MASSIVE downgrade from it's first showing. Far worse than this actually, the MGS4 downgrade looked a generation apart if you compare the TGS05 trailer to the footage we saw in 07 leading up to the game.

The cool thing about MGS, MGS2 and MGS3 is that the games actually looked better and better leading up to launch. Kojima was building a good reputation for delivering beyond his initial sneak peaks. For some reason he decided to crap on that rep and get us excited over PC footage only to disappoint us later with the real deal.

Still, the game does look decent enough and if TPP is really open world then I can't really complain. Definitely not a deal breaker, hell as long as the game is fun I'd play it on a Wii U lol

#36 Posted by EndlessInfinity (219 posts) -

So much for next gen

#37 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38116 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k: very disappointing. I mean it's not terrible but Kojima kept talking about how the engine was going for "photorealism" and that's a LONG way off.

This is why you don't use a PC to show off games for consoles. That or release a PC version please

#38 Posted by R4gn4r0k (15903 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k: very disappointing. I mean it's not terrible but Kojima kept talking about how the engine was going for "photorealism" and that's a LONG way off.

This is why you don't use a PC to show off games for consoles. That or release a PC version please

Yeah, same with the first Watch Dogs footage, it was taken from a PC build. After that they've shown nothing but console footage and it looks downgraded. I'm not sure even the PC version will look like that because we haven't seen PC footage since the beginning.

Like you said, it doesn't look bad or anything. It looks good in fact, but the difference between this and the tech demo they showed us, is huge. They have been hyping the Fox engine for even longer than MGS V, and this is not what they showed us or promised us.

#39 Posted by _Matt_ (8737 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

I'm not seeing what is wrong with the fence, but the grass to me is certainly jarring.

#40 Edited by Salt_The_Fries (8083 posts) -

The Japanese weren't ever known for their foliage proficiency. Europeans are still masters at it.

#41 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38116 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

I'm not seeing what is wrong with the fence, but the grass to me is certainly jarring.

In fullscreen the fence has some really bad aliasing and that sort of jaggedness that occurs with so many angles and lines. Like as if the fidelity of the fence isn't consistent. Wire fences and powerlines etc. are some of the hardest things to do well in graphics because of the aliasing that occurs

You can bet it will look even worse in motion with the edges all shimmering

#42 Posted by bezza2011 (2165 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@silversix_ said:

What is this crap ? This looks nothing like what they originally showed us.

Please tell me that's PS3/360 gameplay, but by the resolution I'm judging it's not :(

This is a fucking joke.

Don't worry these are the Xbox One screen shots PS4 was there original vision,

#43 Posted by Crossel777 (5593 posts) -

I agree, peace walker was pretty shitty compared to the first 3 games.

#44 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8083 posts) -

Those MGS GZ screenshots look like utter shit. How could it look that bad?