The Witcher good as Mass Effect, Skyrim, Dark Souls games ?

• 96 results
#51 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

@geniobastardo

My Bad.... Forgot I was in System Wars.

#52 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (6961 posts) -

The Witcher 2 is better than all of those, especially the walking simulator and Ass Effect.

#53 Edited by Jeager_Titan (945 posts) -

@geniobastardo said:

@jeager_titan said:

@indzman said:

@Krelian-co said:

@indzman said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Cloud_imperium

You don't pay attention to my rants do you ?

I don't hate Dark Souls gameplay.... I hate its RPG Elements (stat oriented design)

As for the The Witcher.... Call it what you want......

Hey LuLu_LuLu =P

Whats wrong with Dark Souls stats ? can't get it to maximum even at NG +++ or should have been there more skill trees ?

that guy wants every game to be relationship simulators and have coop, he must be lonely xD

LOL !!!

He hates lists too.

he's extremely brutalized if he sees an RPG or a list thread. He hates his life.

Maybe that's why he screams about co-op in every game. lol

#54 Edited by B4X (3625 posts) -

I think the Game is definitely in the same class in Quality. It really depends on your tastes.

Setting, story line, characters. There are many variables.

It is an amazing franchise for me. So are the others you mentioned though.

#55 Posted by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

@jeager_titan: shhhh!! quiet!! I don't wanna make him feel bad.

#56 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

@Jeager_Titan

Actually Lonely people whine about single player mode in everygame....... Me wanting co-op is just wanying to share the experience with friends I already have......

I think its rather sad that people want to Play Alone......

#57 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

@geniobastardo

As if you care about my feelings.... :(

You weren't there, man !

#58 Edited by ChristianGmr14 (155 posts) -

I don't know....it really depends because while The Witcher is an RPG it's also very different than those games. It's a fairly linear RPG with a solid story line and player choice options, it's also very mature, the gameplay is good and definitely challenging, not a noob friendly game. My only complaint with the game was I thought the magic system could have been deeper, but otherwise it's worth playing.

Though IMO it's not as good as Mass Effect or Skyrim, and no where near as good as Demon's/Dark Souls. That being said I am very much looking forward to The Witcher 3.

#59 Posted by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu: ok, I honestly apologize if I've ever hurt your 'feelings'.... ok don't feel bad, just toast some bread, spread some nutella over it, eat it and be happy.

#60 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

@geniobastardo

I already comfort myself with Food....... Its very unhealthy.

#61 Posted by Zero5000X (8188 posts) -

It's better than those games in terms of gameplay, story, characters, choices, morality, and graphics.

#62 Posted by with_teeth26 (6056 posts) -

For choices and consequences, Witcher 1/2 > all the listed games

for gameplay Souls is the best out of that group

For Story, I'd say ME 1 is on par with Witcher 1 and 2 but only ME1, the rest are worse.

Its hard to say one series/game is flat out better since they all have different strengths and weaknesses.

#63 Edited by glez13 (8675 posts) -

The Witcher series has good lore and story. Even when you are playing a set character you actually have nice roleplaying options.The actual gameplay is kinda meh. Their attempts to make a highly streamlined combat resulted in an almost dull experience.

#64 Posted by heretrix (37319 posts) -

The Witcher and Mass Effect franchises are my two favorite RPG franchise of the last generation. I would say that if you enjoy Mass Effect and like Sword and Sorcery fantasy settings then you should have no problem getting into the Witcher series. In fact, if the decision tree is one thing you liked in Mass Effect then you will really dig at the huge amount of variation the Witcher series decisions offer you. The decisions (well most of them) that you make will drastically alter the game at certain points. I really didn't have a problem with the combat in either Witcher game, once you nail the combat mechanics you are pretty much good to go. They can be a bit weird but not impossible to figure out.

#65 Posted by adamosmaki (9451 posts) -

I don't know why everyone hates Witcher 1 so much . It was a masterpiece . Yes animations were stiff and all that but it wasn't bad , not even close . Combat was non traditional and it wasn't just about clicking but there was a lot of other stuff to do in it as well . Yes , story starts a bit slow but once it picks up , it is hard to let it go and I played it AFTER playing Witcher 2 (and Still loved it) .

There were a lot of things that I liked in first game , and those were missing in Witcher 2 and Vise Versa . Both have their own pros and cons . Witcher 2's combat wasn't bad either , some people just approach it like any other hack n slash game . My friend recently got into gaming and 2nd game that he played was Witcher 2 . It was extremely difficult for him to play such game without playing other casual stuff like COD first but he loved it and finished it multiple times (and he did that on his low end gaming PC with terrible frame rates) . If he can then I think anybody can.

I think it wasn't bad , just not for everyone . Today's games (due to their appeal for the masses) have changed gamers' mentality and now they want every game to be the same . Sometimes a game is targeted for core fans of the genre (a niche market) and that's exactly what we need right now when industry is full of casual garbage .

Still it's OK because it may not be for you but anyone who thinks that story in Witcher sucks , clearly haven't paid attention when he played the game or it was too complex for him .

Same here. I absolutely loved W1 ( even more than 2 ). Liked the more open world feeling better compared to the rather smallish ( compared to 1 ) W2 maps. Heck i even liked the combat of W1 despite everyone else seemed to hate it

#66 Posted by MrYaotubo (2637 posts) -

@Cloud_imperium said:

I don't know why everyone hates Witcher 1 so much . It was a masterpiece . Yes animations were stiff and all that but it wasn't bad , not even close . Combat was non traditional and it wasn't just about clicking but there was a lot of other stuff to do in it as well . Yes , story starts a bit slow but once it picks up , it is hard to let it go and I played it AFTER playing Witcher 2 (and Still loved it) .

There were a lot of things that I liked in first game , and those were missing in Witcher 2 and Vise Versa . Both have their own pros and cons . Witcher 2's combat wasn't bad either , some people just approach it like any other hack n slash game . My friend recently got into gaming and 2nd game that he played was Witcher 2 . It was extremely difficult for him to play such game without playing other casual stuff like COD first but he loved it and finished it multiple times (and he did that on his low end gaming PC with terrible frame rates) . If he can then I think anybody can.

I think it wasn't bad , just not for everyone . Today's games (due to their appeal for the masses) have changed gamers' mentality and now they want every game to be the same . Sometimes a game is targeted for core fans of the genre (a niche market) and that's exactly what we need right now when industry is full of casual garbage .

Still it's OK because it may not be for you but anyone who thinks that story in Witcher sucks , clearly haven't paid attention when he played the game or it was too complex for him .

Same here. I absolutely loved W1 ( even more than 2 ). Liked the more open world feeling better compared to the rather smallish ( compared to 1 ) W2 maps. Heck i even liked the combat of W1 despite everyone else seemed to hate it

Likewise,both are great games but I liked the first one quite a bit more,it´s just better than the sequel in several aspects.

#67 Edited by jake44 (1968 posts) -

I could never get into The Witcher.

#68 Posted by Vaasman (11266 posts) -

Witcher 2 yes, Witcher 1 no.

#69 Posted by padaporra (3393 posts) -

It's a very good game. Definitely worth your time.

#70 Edited by GhoX (4801 posts) -

Witcher 1 Enhanced: Good story, poor combat mechanics. The story is similar to BioWare games in the sense that your choices have consequences, but the overall theme is much darker.

Witcher 2 Enhanced with FCR: Good story, great combat mechanics. The combat mechanics with FCR is quite comparable to the Souls games, but certainly not up there yet.

Witcher 3 appears to have good story, great combat mechanics and sandbox elements like TES.

The series is definitely... learning.

#71 Posted by blackace (20289 posts) -

It's just as good as those games. The story and lore is probably a bit better then some of those games.

#72 Edited by happyduds77 (1449 posts) -

Haven't played the first one, but Witcher 2 was alright, not up to those levels but it was good.

Though Witcher 3 looks better than all of those combined.

#73 Posted by fend_oblivion (6114 posts) -

@indzman said:

I tottally love Mass Effect Triology , Souls Trilogy, Elder Scroll games , Dragons Dogma games. Is The Witcher series good as above or even better ?

It's even better. You should definitely play it.

#74 Posted by silversix_ (14081 posts) -

Why is skyrim in the same boat as dark souls? None of those are as good as dark souls. TW has shitty combat system and boring/useless exploration

#75 Edited by ShadowsDemon (10127 posts) -

The Witcher 2 is my favourite game of all time.

Mass Effect 2 is my second favourite.

So, hell yes.

#76 Edited by Lucianu (9351 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Lucianu

Are you saying The Witcher gets a free pass because the developers "intended" to make horrible controls ?

Yeah that's a pretty weird post lol. Intent is the last thing anyone should care about when it comes to critiquing something.

I disagree. If the mechanics work accordingly to what the developers wanted, if they thought that they would work, then i can be lenient towards them and try and learn them. To check out what the developers wanted for me.

I guess it's different for everyone els.

#77 Posted by harry_james_pot (10579 posts) -

It's even better.

#78 Edited by uninspiredcup (7861 posts) -
@blackace said:

It's just as good as those games. The story and lore is probably a bit better then some of those games.

Disagree. Darksouls doesn't spell it out or push it in players faces, which I think people mistake as "no story".

The lore and the way it's executed is kinda amazing if effort is taken to dig into it.

#79 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

@Lucianu

Okay.... But why would they do that ?

#80 Edited by Lucianu (9351 posts) -

And anyway, i still have no idea why people complain about this supposedly 'bad' combat system The Witcher has. I'll know for sure if it's for me tomorrow anyway. :)

#81 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8372 posts) -

@Lucianu said:

And anyway, i still have no idea why people complain about this supposedly 'bad' combat system The Witcher has. I'll know for sure if it's for me tomorrow anyway. :)

I have no idea either.

#82 Posted by faizanhd (188 posts) -

I definitely think you'll like it if that's your list.

But I personally think Mass Effect is just a cover-shooter with space magic and lots of coitus. :)

#83 Posted by Aljosa23 (24750 posts) -

@Lucianu said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Lucianu

Are you saying The Witcher gets a free pass because the developers "intended" to make horrible controls ?

Yeah that's a pretty weird post lol. Intent is the last thing anyone should care about when it comes to critiquing something.

I disagree. If the mechanics work accordingly to what the developers wanted, if they thought that they would work, then i can be lenient towards them and try and learn them. To check out what the developers wanted for me.

I guess it's different for everyone els.

This kind of belief only works if you consider video games simply a product of entertainment and not art.

#84 Edited by dovberg (3348 posts) -

controls are almost unworkable has been most people's opinion. It is set up to be good in so many ways, 2 is so great in so many ways but it has clunky controls supreme.

#85 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

@faizanhd

I know right ! :) Its almost perfect

#86 Posted by Desmonic (13441 posts) -

#87 Posted by LadyBlue (3927 posts) -

Too easy!

DS(goat rpg) > Skyrim > Mass Defect > Witcher

#88 Posted by lostrib (34569 posts) -

@ladyblue said:

Too easy!

There's an RPG about goats?

#89 Posted by khoofia_pika (13513 posts) -

Mass Effect > both.

#90 Posted by LadyBlue (3927 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@ladyblue said:

Too easy!

#91 Posted by LadyBlue (3927 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@ladyblue said:

Too easy!

goat-game

#92 Posted by lostrib (34569 posts) -

@ladyblue said:

@lostrib said:

@ladyblue said:

Too easy!

The funny thing is apparently goat Simulator actually has a story and it's like super cereal

https://twitter.com/Arminposts/status/463584936830590977/photo/1

#93 Posted by LadyBlue (3927 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@ladyblue said:

@lostrib said:

@ladyblue said:

Too easy!

The funny thing is apparently goat Simulator actually has a story and it's like super cereal

https://twitter.com/Arminposts/status/463584936830590977/photo/1

oh crap. It will never be the same.

#94 Edited by Salt_The_Fries (8372 posts) -

I wonder if people who criticize The Witcher 1 combat have even played Neverwinter Nights 1...Try going back to that now...

#95 Posted by MBirdy88 (7718 posts) -

Good story and graphics, clunky half assed combat. if you like choice kinda rpgs then you should like it. but your only one character and the games progression in that aspect is poor at best...

I love the games... but to pretend they have great gameplay is just... a lie.... quite shallow... and clunky.

#96 Edited by kinectthedots (1629 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

I never really played any of The Witcher series. Is it a full RPG with character building and tons of loot?

linear RPG with optional conversation story line set up like mass effect but with less shitty gameplay but still underwhelming and un-inspirational narrative and plot.

You can build the character and get loot and all that, if you can deal with the lack luster story and unpolished gameplay then you will love The Witcher. To make is simple, I would say if say if you think Mass Effect is a great game then you should love The Witcher. :P

#97 Posted by kinectthedots (1629 posts) -

Haven't played the first one, but Witcher 2 was alright, not up to those levels but it was good.

Though Witcher 3 looks better than all of those combined.

Despite what a lot of people will tell you, The Witcher 1 is better than The Witcher 2. The Witcher 1 had all the elements to make a great RPG especially the story but it was crippled by a point click gameplay mechanic that didn't suit it well.