The Wii U Is One Year Old; Where Does It Stand?

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by charizard1605 (55320 posts) -

ONE YEAR AGO, THE WII U LAUNCHED.

It had a successful worldwide launch, selling 3 million units in essentially one month, and with a launch lineup that was generally well rounded and represented a full range of genres.

However, problems began to seep in almost immediately: the OS had problems at launch, causing console lock ups, freezes, and crashes; the much touted Wii backwards compatibility was a patchworked, sandboxed mess; the UI was so slow it often took 20-30 seconds to respond; functionality was missing at launch (such as Nintendo TVii); there was little to no marketing and mainstream visibility, and brand confusion right off the bat; and though the launch lineup was fine, the games slate beyond looked a bit dire.

In the year since, the Wii U has sold a grand total of 860,000 units worldwide. It's been one of the most visible and high profile mainstream bombs, with absolutely no marketing, third party support being pulled, third party publishers being openly contemptuous of the platform, games being canceled, and Nintendo's own games suffering major delays (with the ones that do release being high profile flops), leading to one of the longest droughts in console gaming history.

The Wii U, now one year old, has had a rough year. Where does it stand today?

• The Wii U now retails for $299 for one SKU, the 32GB 'Deluxe' model. One year ago, it retailed with two SKUs, the $299 8GB Basic Set, and the $349 32GB Deluxe.
  • Wii U sales have been tepid, but they have seen some positive response variously since the Wii U price cut, and the release of The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD.
  • Wii U marketing still leaves a lot to be desired, but Nintendo has been kicking up the ads on the eve of the launch of Super Mario 3D World, advertising the console heavily to families, and billing it clearly as an upgrade.
  • The Wii U OS has seen general improvements: major features like Folders are still missing, but functionality like TVii is now integrated into the system, Miiverse has been heavily expanded, the eShop has been unified with the 3DS eShop, and overall, UI navigation is a lot more responsive, just taking 2-3 seconds to respond, which is a much more acceptable tenth of where it used to be.
  • Nintendo is still screwing up the Virtual Console: releases are rare, and only the NES and SNES are represented, for some reason.
  • Over the last one year, the Wii U has steadily built itself a nice library: major multiplats like Call of Duty: Black Ops II, Call of Duty: Ghosts, Skylanders: Swap Force, Skylanders: Giants, Disney Infinity, Assassin's Creed III, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, Rayman Legends, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Batman: Arkham Origins, Injustice: Gods Among Us, Scribblenauts Unlimited, Batman: Arkham City, FIFA 13, Madden NFL 13, NBA 2K13, PES 13, Mass Effect 3, and Need for Speed: Most Wanted are all available on the platform, in addition to great exclusives like New Super Mario Bros. U, New Super Luigi U, Lego City Undercover, ZombiU, Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, and Super Mario 3D World. The exclusive lineup in 2014 looks great as well, although third party support looks like it might be drying up.
  • There is still a very small community of online gaming on the console: Nintendo needs to address this immediately.

One year since the Wii U, what do you think of its first year on the market? Where do you think the console is going? Have you bought one? What do you think of it? Will you buy one if you haven't gotten one? Do you think Nintendo will be able to keep the platform relevant going forward?

#2 Edited by AvatarMan96 (7321 posts) -

Things have looked bleak recently, but I expect the system to do much better come Christmas-time, and even better when the heavy hitters come in 2014. This whole ordeal seems to mirror the 3DS' launch, and look how that turned out...

#3 Posted by Crazyguy105 (9506 posts) -

The Wii U is getting better. It needs, and will get a turnaround just like the 3DS.

I'd personally like a price cut, but I don't really see one happening. The other problem is games, but if 2014 has Smash Bros, Mario Kart and Bayonetta 2, it's already looking decent.

#4 Posted by Suppaman100 (3693 posts) -

Will be worse than wii in the end I think even though there are some good games coming out. It won't reach the level of wii or gamecube.

Nintendo went after casuals again but failed. Wii U will probably be the worst console of Nintendo ever.

#5 Posted by HaRmLeSS_RaGe (1270 posts) -

It's another Nintendo exclusive box. Never going to be anything else really. Suits me fine though I guess.

#6 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26079 posts) -

It might be in a GameCube-N64 situation, where it'll likely sell lower than it's competition, but it'll have something to keep it in the market.

#7 Posted by Kiro0 (1173 posts) -

The Wii U faces a tough road ahead. Nintendo blew their lead and now has to face serious competition. Both the Xbox One and the PS4 are set to do very well for the foreseeable future. They have a serious hype train behind each of them and major games that aren't coming to the Wii U already announced for both. Unless the Wii U somehow regains the casual base the Wii had i don't see it doing any better than the Gamecube. In the hardcore space its already lost EA's support and its weaker specs will only hurt it since PS4 and Xbone fans only seem to care about graphics.

#8 Posted by good_sk8er7 (4320 posts) -

I'm going to pick one up beginning of next year most likely. It has some great games out right now.

#9 Posted by Heil68 (43175 posts) -

With buyers remorse for me atm.

#10 Edited by Lucianu (9309 posts) -

I'll be buying the WiiU in late 2014 after Bayonetta 2 and Monolith's X RPG are on the system.

I think it'll last a full generation selling Gamecube numbers. Nintendo's reputation as a console manufacturer is in Hell, down as it can possibly go, which is one of the reasons that the WiiU will never succeed commercially.

It has a good library of games, and by the end of 2014, it'll have a great library. I think it'll have a great library of exclusives, in general, just like the Gamecube, but little 3rd party support, similar to the Wii.

#11 Posted by silversix_ (13880 posts) -

I has no place, a waste of space is what it is.

#12 Posted by conkertheking1 (833 posts) -

things are definatly getting better for it. i dont see how the xbone can sell much better, and it may even outshine ps4 if they play everything out right

#13 Posted by Lucianu (9309 posts) -

Will be worse than wii in the end I think even though there are some good games coming out. It won't reach the level of wii or gamecube.

Nintendo went after casuals again but failed. Wii U will probably be the worst console of Nintendo ever.

Tone down the exaggeration a notch, you forgot about the Virtual Boy.

#14 Posted by Suppaman100 (3693 posts) -

@Lucianu said:
@Suppaman100 said:

Wasn't the virtua boy a handheld?

#15 Posted by charizard1605 (55320 posts) -

@Lucianu said:
@Suppaman100 said:

It was meant to be one

#16 Posted by Lucianu (9309 posts) -

@Lucianu said:
@Suppaman100 said:

No, it was a console, albeit unique. It wasn't a handheld and it certainly wasn't more portable than any other console.

#17 Posted by Suppaman100 (3693 posts) -
#18 Edited by madsnakehhh (14046 posts) -

I always thought that the console was rushed and i was right, the hardware had issues, the games were barely ok at best, the price was too high and the marketing was pretty terrible...however with that being said, Nintendo has done a good work trying to fix everything, and they have done a good job so far, the library looks pretty solid and for us Nintendo fans and people with no interest in getting a PS4 on day 1, i think is a great choice.

They still have a lot of work to do now that the new gen has completely arrived, but if they keep launching good games, with some nice bundles here and there, i could see the WiiU being at least competitive...winning again the gen in terms of sales??? i don't think so, the PS4 has this one IMO.

#19 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

You aren't even trying anymore are ye?

#20 Edited by SakusEnvoy (4152 posts) -

From an install base perspective, all signs point to the Wii U having a rather bleak future. I would say, historically, the best way for a console to increase its install base is to either have massive third party backing and support, or massive hype surrounding the console itself.

Ideally, there should be both, as was the case for the Playstation 2.

The Wii had at least one of those two things (massive hype surrounding the console itself).

The Wii U has neither, and it doesn't appear that it will get either throughout its entire existence as a console. It will undoubtedly get excellent first-party titles from Nintendo, because we all know it's only a matter of time before Nintendo starts to churn out excellent games for their flagship systems. It won't be enough to save the console, though. Right now, it appears set to just simply exist... like a Gamecube, but with worse third party support.

I don't see much room for comparison to the 3DS, either. The 3DS sales jumped significantly since its price cut, which frankly was even before it started to receive lots of excellent games. The price cut energized the 3DS just 5 months out in the market. I think people tend to overestimate the so-called dire straits that it was in. It sold 17.13 million units by the end of its first year.

#21 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11467 posts) -

You aren't even trying anymore are ye?

^^^

#22 Posted by PsychoLemons (1967 posts) -

Nowhere, for now.

#23 Edited by KungfuKitten (20748 posts) -

There haven't been many consoles in its situation to compare it to.

#24 Posted by AMD655 (4495 posts) -

It has many more 1080p/60FPS games than either of the other 2 next gen boxes, and has a nice price tag, it deserves better.

#25 Edited by cain006 (8625 posts) -

They had a year headstart and completely wasted it. People still barely understand what the Wii U is. Refusing to advertise it well is definitely not helping. I have no idea what they were thinking naming it so similarly and then barely advertising it. What did they think would happen?

#26 Posted by Ratchet_Fan8 (5540 posts) -

no 1080p = no buy

#27 Posted by MrYaotubo (2592 posts) -

In the bin.

#28 Posted by AMD655 (4495 posts) -

no 1080p = no buy

@AMD655 said:

It has many more 1080p/60FPS games than either of the other 2 next gen boxes, and has a nice price tag, it deserves better.

#29 Posted by charizard1605 (55320 posts) -

no 1080p = no buy

So Wii U is the only next gen console you're getting then?

#30 Posted by YukoAsho (2027 posts) -

Let's see, I got a Wii U in April of this year, mostly because we were all still in the "Is the PS4 going to have the crazy Xbone DRM" scare and I had enough cash from my Bday.

Now that we know the PS4 is going to respect consumers, the Wii U is back to the back of the pack. There's been no change from the Wii. It gets turned on for a while when a high-profile Nintendo game comes out, then it's back collecting dust until the next one. If anything, it's worse this time since 3rd parties are increasingly not even bothering with the initial token efforts we've seen on past Nintendo systems. If Nintendo wants to be the primary console and not just something you put in another room for that one great Nintendo game a year, they need to invest heavily in first-party studios. Period. The PS4's out, the Xbone's later this week. The third party ship has sailed, and Nintendo has to do more than they're doing now to fill the void.

@Lucianu said:
@Suppaman100 said:

Only if you have LOTS of duct tape and don't mind ripping out hair when you're done playing.

#31 Edited by cain006 (8625 posts) -

@Ratchet_Fan8 said:

no 1080p = no buy

What games are in 1080p on the wii u? Because I'm pretty sure New Super Mario Bros. U isn't and that's just laughable.

#32 Posted by charizard1605 (55320 posts) -

@cain006 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Ratchet_Fan8 said:

no 1080p = no buy

What games are in 1080p on the wii u? Because I'm pretty sure New Super Mario Bros. U isn't and that's just laughable.

On Wii U:

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD (1080p, 60FPS)

Super Mario 3D World (1080p, 60FPS)

Mario Kart 8 (1080p, 60FPS)

Super Smash Bros. (1080p, 60FPS)

Bayonetta 2 (1080p, 60FPS)

Next gen is here, you just have to look for it in the right places.

#33 Posted by sammyjenkis898 (27998 posts) -

It will stay in dead last for this entire generation. There are so many things that they did wrong.

#34 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

On Wii U:

Yeah that's not impressive at all. All those games I would expect that. Games like Infamous and Watch Dogs for example have way more going on than those.

#35 Posted by Newhopes (4468 posts) -

Same as the Vita pretty much dead.

#36 Edited by soapman72 (2713 posts) -

Looking forward to 3d world

#37 Posted by charizard1605 (55320 posts) -

@cain006 said:

@charizard1605 said:

On Wii U:

Yeah that's not impressive at all. All those games I would expect that. Games like Infamous and Watch Dogs for example have way more going on than those.

I am not sure you have seen SM3DW, SSB, or Bayo 2 in motion.

#38 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

Those games just have good art styles. It's like pokemon on the 3DS - it looks great, but isn't resource intensive. And I've seen videos of all of them, I don't think they're very impressive.

#39 Edited by HalcyonScarlet (3938 posts) -

Not looking good. glad I didn't early adopt a Nintendo Console this time,

#40 Posted by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -

It's on life support. Nintendo will probably pull the plug very soon, considering there's no way they'll meet their sales targets. You know things are bad when PS4 sells more units in 24 hours in one territory than WiiU has done in almost a year worldwide.

#41 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (3938 posts) -

@cain006 said:

@charizard1605 said:

On Wii U:

Last gen console performance pushing 1080p 60fps, about time. I think people would be more surprised if it wasn't producing 1080p/60fps. I think tshbo if it ever drops from that to be honest.

#42 Edited by MajesticShea (695 posts) -

At least Nintendo and Sony are doing something new. Hopefully, Microsoft will release an 8th gen console soon.

#43 Posted by _Matt_ (8834 posts) -

@cain006 said:

@charizard1605 said:

Those games just have good art styles. It's like pokemon on the 3DS - it looks great, but isn't resource intensive. And I've seen videos of all of them, I don't think they're very impressive.

I agree, And in some cases it's apparent there are low resolution textures by todays standards, and fairly low poly models.

#44 Edited by FragTycoon (6430 posts) -

Where Does It (WiiU) Stand?

In a closet along with most of the Wiis sold.

#45 Posted by darkspineslayer (19446 posts) -

They squandered their head start. Complete waste.

#46 Edited by Bigboi500 (29062 posts) -

Below the PS4 but much higher than Xbox One.

#47 Posted by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

You have to wonder how this project was approved when it was pitched to management, it's way to expensive and Nintendo's own developers seem uninterested in the gamepads features. They also still dont have a unified account system, they still dont offer price protection to retailers, their hardware and software are region locked, and they refuse to put their best talent on new IPs.

#48 Edited by lamprey263 (22630 posts) -

it's a hidden gem of joy, destined to not be noticed or when it is it'll be the subject of ridicule, but a few select who take the time to appreciate it will reap the benefits, like one of those cheesy coming of age movies where the girl/guy on the fringes of their peer group one day blossoms to be the popular kid... except in this story the central character doesn't get their glory day in the sun, if were a movie the Wii U would be Lucas in Lucas getting put in the hospital after he tried playing football to impress the girl

#49 Posted by Sword-Demon (6924 posts) -

a very shaky 1st year, but I have high hopes for 2014 - plenty of great games scheduled.

#50 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6516 posts) -

Its looking pretty mediocre right now. Hopefully next year Ninty will kick it into gear. I still want one for Christmas tho