The Wii U has had 7 retail releases so far in 2014

• 160 results
#51 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6799 posts) -

Anyone know how Wii Fit U is doing sales wise now? The originals were huge system sellers for the Wii.

The new one doesn't feel different enough from the old to be a big system seller. Sales will pick up if Nintendo can start selling this console to kids, though. Lots of moms would buy Wii Fit U if they already had a Wii U in their home.

#52 Edited by TigerSuperman (1939 posts) -
#53 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

If I get 20-30 decent games for it over the course of its life that'll pretty much be what I got out of my Wii. I'll be satisfied with its function as a companion console to other next gen systems, whether I later pick up a X1 or PS4, I mainly got it to play Nintendo exclusives, not multiplats. I'm looknig forward to Mario Kart 8 or Super Smash Bros, SMT x FE, Bayonetta 2, there's another Fatal Frame game coming (hopefully will see a North American release). Hopefully another Zelda that's not Hyrule Warriors, another Metroid possibly. I already got like 8 games for the Wii U so far so I'm already think the Wii U will live up to what I wanted out of it.

20 is game is good for a generation, but that basically means you have to like every Nintendo exclusive...highly unlikely.

#54 Posted by locopatho (20112 posts) -

The new one doesn't feel different enough from the old to be a big system seller.

Isn't that WiiU's problem in general?

#55 Edited by Demonjoe93 (9505 posts) -

How many have the other stations have as far as retail games go?

#56 Edited by Pffrbt (6446 posts) -

At least the Wii U will be getting some games worth buying in 2014, unlike the other two consoles.

#57 Posted by locopatho (20112 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

At least the Wii U will be getting some games worth buying in 2014, unlike the other two consoles.

Games from Bioware, Rocksteady, Bungie and Ubisoft are worth buying.

#58 Posted by JangoWuzHere (15996 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

you forgot hyrule warriors, sonic boom, monoliths X, call of duty(at least put maybe), one piece world unlimited...

thread is nothing but troll bait.

besides smash and mario kart are the biggest games of the year...besides call of duty and titanfall. ps4 has nothing...absolutley nothing.

so...4 more games this year for Wii U (Call of Duty doesn't count). ...Is that suppose to be impressive or something?

How does PS4 have nothing? It has far more coming out this year then the Wii U.

#59 Edited by JangoWuzHere (15996 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

I'm sorry that you have absolutely no taste.

#60 Posted by Micropixel (838 posts) -

@lamprey263 said:

If I get 20-30 decent games for it over the course of its life that'll pretty much be what I got out of my Wii. I'll be satisfied with its function as a companion console to other next gen systems, whether I later pick up a X1 or PS4, I mainly got it to play Nintendo exclusives, not multiplats. I'm looknig forward to Mario Kart 8 or Super Smash Bros, SMT x FE, Bayonetta 2, there's another Fatal Frame game coming (hopefully will see a North American release). Hopefully another Zelda that's not Hyrule Warriors, another Metroid possibly. I already got like 8 games for the Wii U so far so I'm already think the Wii U will live up to what I wanted out of it.

20 is game is good for a generation, but that basically means you have to like every Nintendo exclusive...highly unlikely.

Oh, I wouldn't necessarily say that. I have 68 games for the Wii U right now (52 if you remove the virtual console games). They're not all exclusives, but most of those games currently do not exist on the Xbox One or PS4 either. There's a lot to play on the system if you're willing to give it half a chance. My brother has a PS4 and he's enjoying it. But he's way dry on games at the moment (he only has 4 games right now). He's hoping a lot of what I have over here makes it to the PS4.

#61 Posted by lamprey263 (22629 posts) -

not necessarily, I think I'll be double the amount of games I have by this time next year, and I figure they'll be at least another year or two of releases after that, I can make 20 easy and avoid the stuff I really have no desire to play

#62 Edited by Bigboi500 (29062 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

Fixed.

#63 Edited by Pffrbt (6446 posts) -

No, really none of them are.

I'm sorry that you keep wasting money on big budget mediocrity that's been driven into the ground over the past 7 years.

#64 Edited by GearsOfWarLover (573 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

@locopatho said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

I'm sorry that you keep wasting money on big budget mediocrity that's been driven into the ground over the past 7 years.

Rather waste my money on "big budget mediocrity" than a dead console

#65 Posted by locopatho (20112 posts) -

@locopatho said:

@Pffrbt said:

Fixed.

Has the hipster train rolled around to pretending that Arkham Asylum and City aren't amazing? Cool.

@Pffrbt said:

@locopatho said:

They all are. You bitch about being driven into the ground yet can't wait for more samey Nintendo sequels. Lawl.

#66 Edited by MirkoS77 (6979 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

@locopatho said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

Actually, if that's to be called "big budget mediocrity", I'd rather waste my money on it than "low budget mediocrity".

OT, This E3 will be interesting. I don't think Nintendo's going to do anything drastic, it'll just be a display of much of what we already knew, + Zelda and a few new 3DS games, or simply new characters/items, but this E3 will show what Nintendo's plans are for their machine for the forseeable future.

#67 Edited by TrappedInABox91 (484 posts) -

LOL at least wait till E3 before you fired off bullshit.

Please list all the amazing games the PS4 and X1 will have this year lol

#68 Edited by farrell2k (5574 posts) -

What is the game attach rate for the life of your average console? Most people probably buy one or two games per year anyway. I don't think having only 10 - 15 games to choose from per year is bad. I used to own a TG16. and a Dreamcast. I am used to it...

#69 Posted by Pffrbt (6446 posts) -

I'd rather spend money on good games but okay have fun with that.

Has the hipster train rolled around to pretending that Arkham Asylum and City aren't amazing?

It isn't pretending. Arkham Asylum is pretty good, not great, Arkham City is unfocused mediocrity suffering from too many villains and plot threads and gameplay that can't possibly survive in an open world setting.

They all are. You bitch about being driven into the ground yet can't wait for more samey Nintendo sequels. Lawl.

No, they really aren't. They're all criminally uninteresting. The thing about Nintendo sequels is that unlike the rest of the game industry, these games still stand out as unique and interesting despite being long running franchises, primarily because none of them are trend riding bullshit that's been driven into the ground and the sequels tend to come infrequently and have a ton of polish. Mario Kart 8 for example. I've never been a fan of Mario Kart, and I've never been able to get into the series, yet I'm genuinely excited for Mario Kart 8 because it's so incredibly rare these days to see a game so crisp, bright, colorful, and focused on being fun. It helps that it seems to be fixing all of the problems I've had with the series.

Plus, the Wii U has Bayonetta 2, the sequel to one of the best action games ever made and one of my all time favorites.

#70 Edited by locopatho (20112 posts) -

LOL at least wait till E3 before you fired off bullshit.

Why would we need to wait until E3 to discuss how dire the WiiU's year has been so far? That 7 game list is fact, not bullshit btw.

#71 Posted by locopatho (20112 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:
t isn't pretending. Arkham Asylum is pretty good, not great, Arkham City is unfocused mediocrity suffering from too many villains and plot threads and gameplay that can't possibly survive in an open world setting.
@locopatho said:

No, they really aren't. They're all criminally uninteresting. The thing about Nintendo sequels is that unlike the rest of the game industry, these games still stand out as unique and interesting despite being long running franchises, primarily because none of them are trend riding bullshit that's been driven into the ground and the sequels tend to come infrequently and have a ton of polish. Mario Kart 8 for example. I've never been a fan of Mario Kart, and I've never been able to get into the series, yet I'm genuinely excited for Mario Kart 8 because it's so incredibly rare these days to see a game so crisp, bright, colorful, and focused on being fun. It helps that it seems to be fixing all of the problems I've had with the series.

Plus, the Wii U has Bayonetta 2, the sequel to one of the best action games ever made and one of my all time favorites.

Utter shit, except the part about Bayo being awesome.

It's "rare" to see a game be "focused on fun"... lol.

And you need to learn what the word "mediocre" means.

#72 Edited by Pffrbt (6446 posts) -

It's "rare" to see a game be "focused on fun"... lol.

Don't forget about the rest of that sentence. Also, yes, it's rare to see a game focused on simply being fun these days. We live in an era where tedious, monotonous crap like TLOU is somehow something to be praised. And where a game like Tomb Raider, a 15 hour guided tour of chest high walls and a woman getting pulverized as a sorry excuse for "character development", gets nominated for best action game of the year instead of an actual fucking action game like The Wonderful 101.

"And you need to learn what the word "mediocre" means."
I don't. My use of the word is completely justified and appropriate.

#73 Posted by bbkkristian (14888 posts) -

I don't care as long as I'm getting Monolith Soft's X, Mario Kart 8, and Super Smash Bros Wii U this year. Next year, I don't care as long as I get Fire Emblem x SMT, Zelda Wii U, and a Metroid game.

#74 Posted by GearsOfWarLover (573 posts) -

@Pffrbt

Rather spend you're money on good games?? I think you mean you would rather spend you're money on Nintendo games.... I know it sucks that a lot of highly acclaimed multiplat games don't come to the WII U. But a dead console is a dead console

#75 Posted by BPoole96 (22784 posts) -

The Wii U is the perfect gaming console for people that don't really like video games

#76 Posted by Randolph (10419 posts) -

Nintendo sho8uld just cut and run on the wii u but they wont

How did that strategy work out for Sega? Nintendo remembers the damage the quick ditching of the various Genesis/Mega Drive add-ons and the Saturn did to Sega. They got away with it with the Virtual Boy because it failed to even get close to the level of "success" the Wii U now has. They have a few million customers, they know they have an obligation to at least give them a good 4 years of "support". (which is to say one worthwhile VC game a month and one really good or great first party game every quarter)

Honestly though, with as little time as I have to game, a Wii U and a 3DS really could meet all my gaming needs even then. I almost exclusively use my PS4 as a multimedia device at this point because the software, at this point in time, is abysmal.

#77 Edited by 93BlackHawk93 (5153 posts) -

How are the other systems?

#78 Posted by ConanTheStoner (4503 posts) -

Dayum, that's some shit... I know Nintendo consoles are drought machines, but I had no idea it was that bad.

Sucks if you only game on a Wii U lol.

But it sucks even more missing out on Nintendos 1st party, so the haters can suck it. MK8 end of the month manticore (minus Xbone) master race bitches111!!1!

#79 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4039 posts) -

wow as many as seven?

shit. it's doing way, way better than I ever expected.

#80 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (2677 posts) -

Wii u sucks tell me something I don't know. Nintendo systems lack games duh. Nintendo systems have no 3rd party support news flash. Wii u has the worst online gaming support derp. I get it the wii u sucks only a hardcore sheep would buy it for the latest version of 20 year old milkage.

#81 Edited by Pffrbt (6446 posts) -

@GearsOfWarLover: "Rather spend you're money on good games?? I think you mean you would rather spend you're money on Nintendo games"
Nintendo is making good games, so I guess?

"I know it sucks that a lot of highly acclaimed multiplat games don't come to the WII U."
I don't give a shit about multiplats coming to Wii U. I have a PC and other consoles. I didn't buy a Wii U to play multiplats, I bought it to play great exclusives, which it's delivering on.

#82 Posted by Pffrbt (6446 posts) -
@BPoole96 said:

The Wii U is the perfect gaming console for people that don't really like video games

That doesn't really make sense when you consider how it's more of a pure gaming console than its contemporaries and how it currently has more games worth owning and more games worth owning coming to it compared to either the PS4 and Xbone, which have essentially nothing until mid 2015 at the earliest. Unless you feel like playing the same mediocre games you've played to death last gen with slightly prettier graphics.

#83 Edited by treelog187 (2009 posts) -

And it still has the best library of the bunch. For now.

#84 Edited by JangoWuzHere (15996 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

@locopatho said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

Oh the irony

#85 Posted by Pffrbt (6446 posts) -
#86 Posted by GearsOfWarLover (573 posts) -

@Pffrbt Yea and Bungie and Rocksteady are making good games too?? Even if you don't like their games they are considered both AAA.It's shit to you cause its not Nintendo....

Damn I never bought a game console just for exclusives before....I guess im one of the few who buy consoles for first and third party support. OH WAIT! PS4 AND XBOX ONE IS DESTROYING THE WI U

#87 Edited by KungfuKitten (20748 posts) -

It's the same as the other consoles don't act so surprised. I actually like games so I have a PC. If I had a Xbox One I would have only played Killer Instinct up until now. And on PS4 Infamous (meh) and Resogun. The difference being that Super Mario 3D world is better than those combined and the Wii U is a hell of a lot cheaper with no monthly fees.

#88 Posted by Pffrbt (6446 posts) -

@GearsOfWarLover: "Yea and Bungie and Rocksteady are making good games too??"
No. Bungie has never made anything that wasn't ridiculously boring. Rocksteady has one pretty good and one mediocre game to their name.

"It's shit to you cause its not Nintendo...."
Something being Nintendo or not is irrelevant. Nintendo has made crap, and they've made great games.

"Damn I never bought a game console just for exclusives before....I guess im one of the few who buy consoles for first and third party support."
I already have a PC and other consoles for third party support.

"OH WAIT! PS4 AND XBOX ONE IS DESTROYING THE WI U"
How if they have nothing worth playing and aren't getting anything worth playing till mid-2015.

#89 Posted by GearsOfWarLover (573 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

@GearsOfWarLover: "Yea and Bungie and Rocksteady are making good games too??"

No. Bungie has never made anything that wasn't ridiculously boring. Rocksteady has one pretty good and one mediocre game to their name.

"It's shit to you cause its not Nintendo...."

Something being Nintendo or not is irrelevant. Nintendo has made crap, and they've made great games.

"Damn I never bought a game console just for exclusives before....I guess im one of the few who buy consoles for first and third party support."

I already have a PC and other consoles for third party support.

"OH WAIT! PS4 AND XBOX ONE IS DESTROYING THE WI U"

How if they have nothing worth playing and aren't getting anything worth playing till mid-2015.

Okay the only thing i see from you is your own opinion....THANK GOD you are the vocal minority. You dont like Bungie or Rocksteady?? Good for you,millions of people do. I can say that I dont like Nintendo games, and BAM, WII U has absolutely nothing worth playing.

Your own opinion and if someone doesnt like nintendo games, wii u has nothing worth playing, ever...

#90 Edited by Speak_Low (841 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

I'd rather spend money on good games but okay have fun with that.

It isn't pretending. Arkham Asylum is pretty good, not great, Arkham City is unfocused mediocrity suffering from too many villains and plot threads and gameplay that can't possibly survive in an open world setting.

@Pffrbt said:

Don't forget about the rest of that sentence. Also, yes, it's rare to see a game focused on simply being fun these days. We live in an era where tedious, monotonous crap like TLOU is somehow something to be praised. And where a game like Tomb Raider, a 15 hour guided tour of chest high walls and a woman getting pulverized as a sorry excuse for "character development", gets nominated for best action game of the year instead of an actual fucking action game like The Wonderful 101.

"And you need to learn what the word "mediocre" means."

I don't. My use of the word is completely justified and appropriate.

^^^ Oh boy, where do you start with this one? LOL

So if you knew these other games were SO terrible, why are you playing Tomb Raider 2013, TLOU, Arkham City, GTA, CoD, BF4, Assassins Creed and all of these multiplats? Why do you even have a PS3 (or are you pretending you've played TLOU?)

You should know by now these are the types of games Sony and MS gets. It's called fully rounding out your game library to satisfy millions of gamers waiting for the big exclusives. This tends to keep the userbase interested and robust - tell Nintendo to figure out how to get something like this going on their own home system.

You think these multiplats are the bane of modern gaming. Fine - they completely suck, in your opinion (I think you're disingenuous and throwing out weak subterfuge to defend Nintendo's pathetic 2014 list)

But if you truly felt the way you do, it shouldn't take you until 2014 to figure this stuff out. You shouldn't have even plopped $30-$60 down for these games and popped them into your console. If they represent minimal, unimaginative changes, you would've been wise enough to create a strict cut-off point years ago and stayed far away from these games and their many sequels.

The only explanation I can see here is that you're not being entirely honest. You'll be playing future Naughty Dog, Ubisoft, DICE, Rocksteady (yeah, you'll play Arkham Knight you silly hypocrite) and even checking out the new E3 trailers for EA games like everyone else.

Fact of the matter is, Nintendo is solid on the technical aspects like game mechnics. But gaming can't rely on them alone when it comes to other things that need to move forward. In terms of storytelling, graphical fidelity in environments, AI, larger worlds - these things are being explored by other devs far more than Nintendo. Whether these guys like Rockstar, Crytek, Naughty Dog and others are successful with one game or whether it takes 3-5 games to really nail it, the fact is they're at least trying to push these other elements of gaming further (when was the last time Nintendo tried to write a mature and intelligent story, or improve AI or facial animation? Where is their sandbox game? Or photo-realistic game??)

Nintendo has platforming and art style down. It provides all the charm you want - I get it. But they aren't even attempting many other things that also help drive the medium forward. You're discounting quite a lot if you think Nintendo EAD is all that's needed in the gaming world today.

You need to really think about what you just typed. Because I'm imagining something like "that" guy who rails against fast food and non-organic sustenance, but secretly eats a McDonalds cheeseburger, crying over his steering wheel at how good it tastes. You're typing a lot, but no one really believes you're practicing what you preach. You already said too much when you went into detail about Arkham City and Tomb Raider 2013. If it took you until 2013 to make these conclusions, you are the slowest of the slow

#91 Posted by Gaming-Planet (13863 posts) -

Maybe they should just release a new console. It's not too late.

#93 Edited by JangoWuzHere (15996 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

@JangoWuzHere: What irony.

Nintendo is the soul definition of rehashes and big budget crap.

#94 Posted by FreedomFreeLife (1965 posts) -

Nintendo: We don´t have competition

Reggie: We don’t care what the gaming competitors are doing

#95 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16249 posts) -

Still has more interesting exclusives than Xbone and PS4.

#96 Edited by Bigboi500 (29062 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

@locopatho said:

@Pffrbt said:

Fixed.

Has the hipster train rolled around to pretending that Arkham Asylum and City aren't amazing? Cool.

Comic book trash. You lemmings used to trash Uncharted for being nothing but "cinematic" all the time, but those Batboy games are even worse about it. Handholding, lack of gameplay, casual melee button-mashing, but at least the games are easy on the eyes.

#97 Posted by _Matt_ (8834 posts) -

7 huh? Is that lower than the PS4?

#98 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26079 posts) -

Maybe they should just release a new console. It's not too late.

Yeah, it is. If they do that, they piss off their audience at SEGA levels when they were in the hardware business. In other words: to the point of NO return.

#99 Posted by AznbkdX (3120 posts) -

Pretty much expected. Honestly couldn't care myself, but it's definitely an issue.

#100 Edited by Desmonic (13180 posts) -