The truth is it's really not TOO late for the Wii U

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TigerSuperman
Member since 2013 • 4331 Posts

The Wii u has pretty much been considered doomed, and has hit a sales wall selling slowly even with a year head start. While originally shipped by this point the Wii U should actually have sold around 6 million or so. However, even when they were knew, people saw that the two competing console would pass the system due to its constant mistakes.

However it's technically not too late. The Wii U has been stuck with slow sales selling staying around the 5.8-6.2 or so to consumer for quite a long time. But if they just fix a few things they can easily get back on track, as that year head start still has benefits that are not yet completely gone.

In japanthe Wii u is the best selling console, and while selling slowly, they can still turn that around. They kind of stopped really pushing the system in japan, but if they do the PS4 won't catch up to them. Cut the price, ad more advertising, special deals, get some more VC games, make some more big partnerships with companies for exclusive games.

As for the WEST, the Wii U has many problems. People are saying even smash won't really do much for it. Cutting the price, making a 2nd bundle that includes the controller pro instead of the pad (but still having a separate bundle with the pad) try to actually get some western and central asian developers on board, expand IP idea, have external studios have input, something that has been a thorn in Nintendos side, try to get deals with publishers for exclusive games, content, Virtual console and DD games. Try to approach smaller third-party and Indie developers instead of actively ignoring them. lots of indies on the Wii U say working with Nintendo is great, use that as an advantage.

The marketing will still have a problem, but push out the big games, have some space for the smaller ones, makes the console look like it can appeal to many games, show the console itself more in commercials instead of the pad, then at least SOME OF the marketing flaws will be addressed.

With this the Wii u can clearly get back in the sales. At this point them being last is probably unrecoverable. But they will not end at the 10-13 million people keep predicting.

-TS

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

my man pacht

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

Do you actually have a source for this info. I want to know where pachter said this.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#4  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

It kinda is. Sure they can sell a couple more million but the damage is done. Same with the Xbone. Theres just too much negativity surrounding these two consoles. I know people gonna say "bu bu the PS3 recovered" and I will respond: recovered from what? Being a comercial failure to Sony after being the uncontested king of console trough two generations in a row? Sure it was a great console with great exclusive games (and so is the WiiU) but in no shape or form was the PS3 a success

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By applefan1991  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 3397 Posts

It may not be too late, but man are they really pushing it. The games are finally starting to come but I think people are just over the Wii thing. Ninty needs to push a new console that competes hardware wise with the PS4/Xbox One and get those 3rd party devs back first.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Nah. Its not too late. Nintendo is just going about it in a strange way. They're taking the Smash Bros demo to College Football games in the states to promote it. Odd way of going about it but it is a interesting way to reach people.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TigerSuperman

@super600 said:

Do you actually have a source for this info. I want to know where pachter said this.

Whoops, force of happen quoting his stuff on another site.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TigerSuperman

@Vatusus said:

It kinda is. Sure they can sell a couple more million but the damage is done. Same with the Xbone. Theres just too much negativity surrounding these two consoles. I know people gonna say "bu bu the PS3 recovered" and I will respond: recovered from what? Being a comercial failure to Sony after being the uncontested king of console trough two generations in a row? Sure it was a great console with great exclusive games (and so is the WiiU) but in no shape or form was the PS3 a success

Xbox One is clearly recovering still so not sure what you mean by that. Recovering, and still selling well constantly and not hitting a wall.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#10 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

As I've said before. The Market for the WiiU was back in 2008. Nintendo missed the train and now we have the Too Little Too Late console.

With that said, I'm enjoying it. I just wish 3rd Parties wouldn't ignore it.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Wiiu is on the rise. Xbox and PS4 are on the way out. Gamers will smarten up over the course of this gen--the ones seeking a real techy experience--and build themselves a pc. There's still space for consoles and Wiiu will eventually drop 50 to 100 dollars making it extremely attractive for the exclusive nintendo games.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

I think for Nintendo this generation they needed to be better than last place because the perception is that they have an under supported console with a fanbase which doesn't welcome outside input. They needed a big base of fans to show the next gen of third party that they are worth investing in. Otherwise they will merely be the console supported by its die hards and will never crack new markets.

They have failed, they have failed so badly it has merely confirmed everyone's suspicions, which unfortunately will precipitate their slide into irrelevance. And it's their fault.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15561 Posts

That Wii U is the only console with a good exclusive lineup this year means it has a good chance of picking up some steam during the holidays. I'm actually strongly considering getting it once Bayonetta 2 is out.

Doubt it'll be anywhere but 3rd place still. They already shot themselves in the foot too much, they'd have to have several great years in a row, which isn't likely.

big_mak523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 big_mak523
Member since 2011 • 210 Posts

@speak_low said:

So even if it doesn't end up with a low 13-15 million worldwide total, but instead gets 17-19 million, that's still lower than the GCN (and the Wii U will not be getting 19 million ever), and still a disaster for Nintendo.

The Wii U also costs much more than the GCN to manufacture, and that's why Nintendo is reporting straight quarterly losses and why there are very few price drops. They need to keep it around the $300 mark and can't go much lower for now.

I don't think SSBU will perform as well as many think. The Wii version did well but that had a massive install base, and even casuals picked it up. SSBU will be even less of a system seller than MK8, and I have a feeling this holiday - while there will be a boost - will be far lower than last year's totals and overall disappointing for Nintendo.

I seriously doubt that. Although Mario Kart sells more, that is just due to its incredible legs. Smash has always been more of system seller. Add that to the fact that SSBU will be out for the Holidays (hopefully) and it is almost guaranteed to push more systems that Mario Kart 8 did in May. You think the Wii U is gonna sell less in the month of Smash Bros U than it did in May?.. That seems ridiculous.

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#16 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

I don't understand the Wii U.

If they weren't going to push the tech envelope, why didn't they wait until they were able to easily get parity with the XBONE and PS4?

Now, they've got a box that only plays Nintendo games, and that's it.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

They need another price drop and a sick Smash Bros. bundle dropping right before Black Friday.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#18 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@Cobra_nVidia said:

If they weren't going to push the tech envelope, why didn't they wait until they were able to easily get parity with the XBONE and PS4?

Because it takes years to develop a console? They can't make a console in less than three months.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

@Cobra_nVidia said:

And there's nothing really wrong with that

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

It won't ever make a comeback buddy. It was too late a year ago. You'll get your Zelda, but after that Nintendo will basically stop developing AAA exclusives for the Wii U. 2016 will be a sad year for the Wii U.

The Wii U will sell worse than the Gamecube by the end of its lifetime.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

@speak_low said:

So even if it doesn't end up with a low 13-15 million worldwide total, but instead gets 17-19 million, that's still lower than the GCN (and the Wii U will not be getting 19 million ever), and still a disaster for Nintendo.

The Wii U also costs much more than the GCN to manufacture, and that's why Nintendo is reporting straight quarterly losses and why there are very few price drops. They need to keep it around the $300 mark and can't go much lower for now.

I don't think SSBU will perform as well as many think. The Wii version did well but that had a massive install base, and even casuals picked it up. SSBU will be even less of a system seller than MK8, and I have a feeling this holiday - while there will be a boost - will be far lower than last year's totals and overall disappointing for Nintendo.

Melee sold approximately 7 million on a 21 million install base.Brawl sold approximately 12 million on a 100 million install base. which is not that great.The WiiU version of smash bros will sell at least 5+ million easily and maybe over 7 million.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bunchanumbers

The Wii U can do things that the other 2 can't do. The Wii U is capable of 8k textures for extreme realism. They just won't be pushing the 1080p barrier all that often. Otherwise they crack 60 fps on a consistent basis.

Fast Racing Neo 4-8k textures

More games like this comes out and it'll put the ps4 and X1 to shame with 'inferior' hardware.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13660 Posts

The Wii U is a good system right now. If Nintendo are smart, they will forget the current sales and bend over bacwards for the third parties. They need to do this before the other consoles find their feet. Already the first year is coming to an end on the other consoles, so the Window of oppertunity is really now for Nintendo to do something. And I hope they do. They do that, it'll be the perfect little system.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

The system needs games that's all...Nintendo need to make sure any "Japan only" games for Wii U need to get release to the West, EU & AU ..simple as that. Keeping games Japan only is dumb when your system outside of Japan actually needs games. :P

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts
@bunchanumbers said:

The Wii U can do things that the other 2 can't do. The Wii U is capable of 8k textures for extreme realism. They just won't be pushing the 1080p barrier all that often. Otherwise they crack 60 fps on a consistent basis.

Fast Racing Neo 4-8k textures

More games like this comes out and it'll put the ps4 and X1 to shame with 'inferior' hardware.

The Wii U cannot do higher texture resolution than the PS4. That is nothing but snake oil.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bunchanumbers

There's already a developer working on it. They even tweeted they'll be doing 4-8k textures on their game. If this is taken advantage of the Wii U will have better looking games than the ps4 and X1. Just at a lower resolution. You can thank that x86 architecture and low cpu for that.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45061 Posts

Most people only get one console. Would you rather have a one trick pony that plays the same kiddy franchises from the past 30 years or the vastly superior ps4? You see what I mean? Getting a Wii u for your kid is like grounding him for 4 years.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TigerSuperman

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Cobra_nVidia said:

Because it takes years to develop a console? They can't make a console in less than three months.

They could with off the shelf parts and running PS2 like graphics.

@super600 said:

@speak_low said:

Melee sold approximately 7 million on a 21 million install base.Brawl sold approximately 12 million on a 100 million install base. which is not that great.The WiiU version of smash bros will sell at least 5+ million easily and maybe over 7 million.

Melle sold approximately 9 million actually. but keep in mind it was at launch and was the most played game during launch, and was really the only game that got people to even buy a gamecube at launch, and when the first drought came that was also the only game that was played on the gamecube.

Also Brawl's 12 is pretty good when most of the better selling games before it were bundled and sold nearly double or more each, and most below it were like 3 million below.

Now ,with the Wii U install base still stuck around 6ish range, I am having trouble seeing your "5 million easily" prediction. Unless you expect it to move around 3 million consoles to also reach your max of 7+.

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

@Heirren: pretty much hardware my ass most gamers are fickle and buy whatever is cheapest especially as far as parents are concerned.

The stuff about 3rd party support well that is only a temporary fix. History shows Nintendo doesn't give a crap about 3rd party. The solution is to start making hardcore games that Nintendo Wii owners should have gotten last gen instead of Wii fit and whatever casual game that plague the Wii

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#30 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts
@notorious1234na said:

@Heirren: pretty much hardware my ass most gamers are fickle and buy whatever is cheapest especially as far as parents are concerned.

The stuff about 3rd party support well that is only a temporary fix. History shows Nintendo doesn't give a crap about 3rd party. The solution is to start making hardcore games that Nintendo Wii owners should have gotten last gen instead of Wii fit and whatever casual game that plague the Wii

Alienate third party titles and you alienate the majority of your potential customers. the 64 and Gamecube both arguably had the strongest 1st Party lineups of their respective generations with weaker third parties, and they trailed like crazy behind Sony. If it was always about price, the Gamecube should have lapped the PS2 in sells easily.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TigerSuperman

@Lionheart08 said:
@notorious1234na said:

Alienate third party titles and you alienate the majority of your potential customers. the 64 and Gamecube both arguably had the strongest 1st Party lineups of their respective generations with weaker third parties, and they trailed like crazy behind Sony. If it was always about price, the Gamecube should have lapped the PS2 in sells easily.

Heck the only reason why the GameCube even made it past 20 million was because the Xbox was dropping off into 360 sales (despite it still being sold till 2007 or so) and the PS2 already had its peak. Gamecube also dropped lower than both fast. Did nothing.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32  Edited By no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

Poor sheep just admit the wii u was overpriced and under powered with rubbish online and no 3rd party support

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By nintendoboy16

@TigerSuperman said:

@super600 said:

Melle sold approximately 9 million actually. but keep in mind it was at launch and was the most played game during launch, and was really the only game that got people to even buy a gamecube at launch, and when the first drought came that was also the only game that was played on the gamecube.

Also Brawl's 12 is pretty good when most of the better selling games before it were bundled and sold nearly double or more each, and most below it were like 3 million below.

Now ,with the Wii U install base still stuck around 6ish range, I am having trouble seeing your "5 million easily" prediction. Unless you expect it to move around 3 million consoles to also reach your max of 7+.

Nice misinformation.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TigerSuperman

@nintendoboy16: Nice poorly shown Wikipedia article. Show me a sourced that has that number not source from Wikipedia and I will say oops.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

FC: 0275 7452 4518

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By nintendoboy16

@TigerSuperman said:

@nintendoboy16: Nice poorly shown Wikipedia article. Show me a sourced that has that number not source from Wikipedia and I will say oops.

It's citation comes from a source linked to Nintendo themselves. It even has 7 million listed on the widely panned VGChartz.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TigerSuperman

@nintendoboy16 said:

@TigerSuperman said:

It's citation comes from a source linked to Nintendo themselves. It even has 7 million listed on the widely panned VGChartz.

You know the site no one uses so I have no idea why you are mentioning it in a defence?

Also tried mutliple browsers, the source doesn't even show up. It shows the Nintendo website header and a blank page.

Zelda187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#38 Zelda187
Member since 2005 • 1047 Posts

You know it's too late when your new console had been out for 2 years and tons of people still don't even know that it exists.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 nintendoboy16
@TigerSuperman said:

You know the site no one uses so I have no idea why you are mentioning it in a defence?

Also tried mutliple browsers, the source doesn't even show up. It shows the Nintendo website header and a blank page.

Read the full article. Happy now?

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TigerSuperman

@nintendoboy16 said:
@TigerSuperman said:

You literally counter with more VGchartz amazing. Can i get a link to a site not associated with VGchartz, or a page on a Nintendo website that works thanks.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@TigerSuperman: Sir i think you talking out of your butt ... Who keep predicting Wii U at 10M units ? Its my first time i even see such thing... And dont come up with any troll reference as a viable source here and there ...

Anyways ... The bitter truth is ... Wii U will be in a serious life support in max 2 years from now , something i dont want to invest on just to play 4-5 worth playing games. A simple RENT will do the trick for me and ill save alot of money to spend on something else with way better value . My opinion that is.

Btw by your logic Wii U will be considered as a success if itll sale , lets say 18M/20M units instead of 13M considering all the hype and userbase Wii had ( 120M++ )

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 nintendoboy16

@TigerSuperman said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

You literally counter with more VGchartz amazing. Can i get a link to a site not associated with VGchartz, or a page on a Nintendo website that works thanks.

Are you freaking kidding me? Did you even check the freaking link? Where does it say VGChartz?

Melee sold seven million. End of.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 TigerSuperman

@AzatiS said:

@TigerSuperman: Sir i think you talking out of your butt ... Who keep predicting Wii U at 10M units ? Its my first time i even see such thing... And dont come up with any troll reference as a viable source here and there ...

Anyways ... The bitter truth is ... Wii U will be in a serious life support in max 2 years from now , something i dont want to invest on just to play 4-5 worth playing games. A simple RENT will do the trick for me and ill save alot of money to spend on something else with way better value . My opinion that is.

Btw by your logic Wii U will be considered as a success if it sold , lets say 18M units ? Oo

A lot of people, in multiple gaming websites, and if not mistaken pachter, have expected 10m units if not a bit more.

Also you misread most the thread judging by your last sentence. No one said anything about success. At least I didn't

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TigerSuperman

@nintendoboy16 said:

@TigerSuperman said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

Are you freaking kidding me? Did you even check the freaking link? Where does it say VGChartz?

Game Industry.biz is VGCHARTz.

Give me something from a reliable source.

As much as Vgchartz is considered nonsense and inaccurate for years the fact you don't know this is surprising. It on their network and used as a resource for news constantly.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By nintendoboy16

@TigerSuperman said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

Game Industry.biz is VGCHARTz.

Give me something from a reliable source.

As much as Vgchartz is considered nonsense and inaccurate for years the fact you don't know this is surprising. It on their network and used as a resource for news constantly.

GamesIndustry.biz is a subsidiary of EUROGAMER. Not VGChartz. I only mentioned VG chartz (even I know they aren't credible, especially with newer games and hardware) because their Melee page is in line with Nintendo's official numbers. Are you trying to turn this into a Family Guy (hint: a stubborn donkey arguing with a human over Footloose) gag or something?

Also, now that @AzatiS brought it up on another matter, where is your source saying Melee sold nine million because I at least have sources on seven million.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#47  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

WiiU is doomed. All aboard the Sony train of awesome.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44548 Posts

Nintendo continues to support it, as a WiiU owner that's what I care about most. If I end up with 20 to 30 proper retail games for it then I'll be satisfied. I've a feeling this will be a system that won't sell well but people will learn to love after its gone, like the Dreamcast. But, it won't be Nitendo's swan song.

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#49 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

Like how thread derailed into ssb sales

Now all we need is the sheep mod

locopatho