The Top 3 Greatest Video Game Stories(ever)

• 118 results
#1 Edited by FreedomFreeLife (2160 posts) -

Which are top 3 games that has best story? Not just best action story, but story where is drama, death, sad scenes with sad music. Heart and stuff like that.

1)Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven

Game's story starts with player character, Thomas "Tommy" Angelo meeting with detective Norman in 1938. In exchange for protection for him and his family, Tommy will start talking his story (and along with it, crimes he and other members of Salieri family commited, that Don approved) to the detective. Game then jumps back to 1930 with Tommy waiting for next fare as taxi driver, when Paulie and Sam, chased by gangsters of rival family, the Morello family, crash their car and force Tommy to be their getaway driver. This encounter changes Tommy's life forever....

As storyline progresses, you will learn why Tommy was forced to join mafia (Spoiler- Paulie and Sam did not force him, Tommy voluenteered), how he climbed the ranks and why he eventually decided to betray Salieri.

Story paints very nice picture of human nature, how Tommy tries to do the right thing, not for the family, but overall. He is in mafia because he wants to have good life, but as story progresses, it turns out he is too soft hearted for this life, despite the fact that killing people doesnt seem to affect him.

2)To the Moon

The premise of To The Moon is based around a technology that allows the construction of artificial permanent memories. Sigmund Corp., a company that uses this technology, offers the notion of "wish fulfillment" as a service to people on their death bed. Since these artificial memories are permanent, it sharply conflicts with the patient's real memories soon after the person awakens, which is why it is only done on those without much time left to live. The story follows Dr. Eva Rosalene and Dr. Neil Watts (employed by Sigmund Corp.) as they fulfill the lifelong dream of the dying Johnny Wyles. Johnny's wish isn't that simple: he wants to go to the moon, although he doesn't know why. To accomplish this task, the doctors must insert themselves into an interactive compilation of his memories and traverse backwards through his life via mementos. With each leap to an important moment in his mind, they learn more about the patient and what brought him to his current position in life. Upon reaching his childhood, the doctors attempt to insert his desire to go to the moon. The intention is that once the desire is implanted, Johnny's mind will create memories of a new life based on that desire, and he'll die believing he lived without any regrets. But not everything goes as planned. The two doctors find themselves with a heavy mystery concerning Johnny's desire, his past, and his deceased wife, River. With the clock ticking, Dr. Rosalene and Dr. Watts must unravel Johnny's complicated past and do whatever it takes to send him to the moon.

3)Half Life 2(and Episode 1 and 2)

The game focus on storyline set after the event of Half-Life, in a City 17 somewhere in Eastern Europe. You play as Gordon Freeman, the protagonist from Half-Life and embark on a new journey as he return from G-man stasis. The world that he once knew has changed, the Combine has taken over. Now he must struggle along with his fellow human resistance for survival. It's a good classic first-person shooter game with the best story(Portal is connected with Half-Life story!!!)

#2 Posted by BldgIrsh (1811 posts) -

I was expecting the Last of Us. Thank you for not being biased.

#3 Posted by Blabadon (26033 posts) -

1) 999

2) VLR

3) Video game stories are shit but in honor of watching four hours of Metal Gear Solid critique, Metal Gear Solid 3.

#4 Posted by Allicrombie (25150 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

1) 999

2) VLR

3) Video game stories are shit but in honor of watching four hours of Metal Gear Solid critique, Metal Gear Solid 3.

Blab is biased Confirmed.

#5 Posted by ActicEdge (24381 posts) -

I'm a big fan of Vagrant Story. Also, I enjoyed The Last of Us a ton.

#6 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150480 posts) -

Ever?

#7 Posted by Blabadon (26033 posts) -

@Allicrombie: I like a lot though. The Last of Us is good in its Oscar baity way, MGS 2 had a good message with sloppy execution, Red Dead and Prince of Persia had good endings with meh stories in between.

Video game stories for me suffer mostly for not being consistent. BioShock Infinite does not get a pass because its last 20 minutes make up for the boring eight hours before. Even its ending is something Ken Levine banked on the player not thinking about.

#8 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

red dead redemption

halo

bioshock

#9 Edited by Jeager_Titan (945 posts) -

Half life 2, To the moon, the last of us, portal/portal 2, The Longest Journey, Bioshock infinite, System Shock 2 and many more......

Yeah, there are plenty of video game with great/greatest story.

#10 Edited by Jag85 (4402 posts) -

My choices for the top 3 best game storylines of all time:

1) Clannad - The most touching and emotionally powerful storytelling I've seen in any video game.

2) Steins Gate - The best sci-fi storytelling I've seen in any video game.

3) Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty - The finest example of post-modern storytelling in video games.

#11 Edited by Allicrombie (25150 posts) -

@Blabadon: I'm trying to think of noteworthy stories myself, my problem is that most RPG stories basically boil down to "Hero's Journey" type stuff, which is fine, but there needs to be some unique stand out elements in there somewhere.

#12 Posted by mems_1224 (46725 posts) -

lol at half life 2 having a good story.

#13 Edited by Blabadon (26033 posts) -

@Allicrombie: I haven't played a lot of the good ones either.

Agreed on how boilerplate it can get

#14 Posted by PannicAtack (21021 posts) -

Half-Life 2 is a well-told story for sure, but it's not that great of a story when you really get down to it.

#15 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (5349 posts) -

Chrono Trigger.

@Jag85 said:

My choices for the top 3 best game storylines of all time:

1) Clannad - The most touching and emotionally powerful storytelling I've seen in any video game.

2) Steins Gate - The best sci-fi storytelling I've seen in any video game.

3) Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty - The finest example of post-modern storytelling in video games.

Yay, Clannad! <3

#16 Posted by Jeager_Titan (945 posts) -

Chrono Trigger.

Holy shit, how did I forget this? Also FF6

#17 Posted by handssss (1827 posts) -

Half-Life 2 is a well-told story for sure, but it's not that great of a story when you really get down to it.

it's a painfully average and unoriginal story. The only highlight of it is the characters and Gordon Freeman isn't one of them because he's not a character at all, really.

#18 Edited by robokill (1064 posts) -

1) baldur's gate 2

2) ocarina of time (plot twist ftw)

3) final fantasy 7

#19 Posted by LordQuorthon (5294 posts) -

Planescape: Torment.

#20 Posted by FreedomFreeLife (2160 posts) -

I love the way Half-Life 2 is telling story. 0 cut scenes, all gameplay.

Mafia is special for me but sadly most players never played Mafia

#21 Edited by melonfarmerz (1132 posts) -

To the moon AINEC. I almost cried. Fuck

#22 Posted by Vaasman (11293 posts) -

Really.

Best stories in games.

And you're putting Half-Life 2 and Mafia up over games like Planescape, Baldur's Gate 2, Chrono Trigger, Portal 2, 999, etc?

#23 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7267 posts) -

For me, personally:

1. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  2. Chrono Cross
  3. Mass Effect
#24 Posted by jg4xchamp (47563 posts) -

Mother 3
Planescape Torment
Silent Hill 2

#25 Posted by FreedomFreeLife (2160 posts) -

@Vaasman said:

Really.

Best stories in games.

And you're putting Half-Life 2 and Mafia up over games like Planescape, Baldur's Gate 2, Chrono Trigger, Portal 2, 999, etc?

Well i don´t remember other games for having drama, crying and heart? Im good guy who kills bad guys and good ending is not that good story you know...

#26 Edited by Vaasman (11293 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@Vaasman said:

Really.

Best stories in games.

Well i don´t remember other games for having drama, crying and heart? Im good guy who kills bad guys and good ending is not that good story you know...

I'm starting to see why your tastes in storytelling are skewed.

#27 Posted by uninspiredcup (8026 posts) -

While Halflife 2 has a very good story. I think it's more the execution it's told than the story itself.

For me personally (which is factually right) it's Planescape Torment.

#28 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (5349 posts) -

Mother 3

Planescape Torment

Silent Hill 2

Yay, Mother 3! <3

#29 Edited by FreedomFreeLife (2160 posts) -

@Vaasman said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@Vaasman said:

Really.

Best stories in games.

So, this means Transformers is best movie of all time. Soulless game is not good. No drama or heart, no story. Simple.

#30 Posted by gfxpipeline (75 posts) -

lol at half life 2 having a good story.

Meet people who are 'amazed' to meet the 'famous' Gordon Freeman.

They tell you have to run to the next area.

You run to the next area.

You fight your way through the boring set piece

Repeat

Oh, and there was some box stacking tacked on thanks to the physics library Valve bought.

#31 Posted by Vaasman (11293 posts) -

@Vaasman said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@Vaasman said:

Really.

Best stories in games.

So, this means Transformers is best movie of all time. Soulless game is not good. No drama or heart, no story. Simple.

Well if it wasn't already blatantly obvious before, I think this statement would make it pretty clear that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Comparing Planescape to Transformers.

What in the actual fuck.

#32 Edited by AmazonAngry (945 posts) -

1. The Last of Us

2. Uncharted 2

3. Metal Gear Solid 4

#33 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (5851 posts) -

For me, personally:

1. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  2. Chrono Cross
  3. Mass Effect

Interesting you picked Deus Ex... I think I agree. Had a great story. But my no.1 would be Bioshock, with the Mass Effect games close behind.

As for the Half-Life games, I think they had a great story but a lot of that was the way it was told I think. Valve nailed it.

#34 Posted by harry_james_pot (10664 posts) -

This is really hard to answer.. I can't pick just three. :(

#35 Posted by Ballroompirate (22602 posts) -

Personally I'd have to go with

1. Kotor
  2. MGS3
  3. TLOU

Honorable mentions

• Mass Effect 1 (holy hell did it go down after ME1)
  • Chrono Cross
  • RDR
  • Bastion
  • Hotline Miami
  • The Wolf Among Us
  • TWD
#36 Edited by Maroxad (8149 posts) -

Planescape: Torment
Mother 3
Gabriel Knight

#37 Posted by lostrib (35085 posts) -

Do you honestly believe anyone still takes your opinions seriously?

#38 Posted by Vatusus (4512 posts) -

>Half-Life 2

>Best story

Choose one. HL2 story is as bland as it comes. Only the storytelling is done properly.

Of what I played

1. MGS3

2. Silent Hill 2

3. Red Dead Redemption

#39 Posted by drummerdave9099 (658 posts) -

1. Please don't hate me.... Final Fantasy X is my favorite video game story

2. Silent Hill 2

3. Majora's mask

#40 Edited by Pikminmaniac (8799 posts) -

I don't play many story driven games, but both Wind Waker and Mother 3 have impressed me far more than most. Beyond Good and Evil's story isn't half bad either.

#41 Posted by Minishdriveby (9785 posts) -

To the Moon invalidates the list.

#42 Posted by jake44 (1977 posts) -

Limiting it to last gen....

1. Mass Effect Trilogy

2. The Last of Us

3. Deus Ex: HR

#43 Posted by GreySeal9 (24118 posts) -

I'm not going to say what is the "best," but for pure excitement and charm, nothing beats the Phoenix Wright trilogy as far as I'm concerned.

#44 Posted by bbkkristian (14946 posts) -

Am I really the first person who is going to mention the Zodiac Braves Story from Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions? I am disappoint.

1. FFT: War of the Lions

2. Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core

3. Zelda: Twilight Princess

#45 Edited by lordlors (5588 posts) -

@Minishdriveby said:

To the Moon invalidates the list.

How so? I thought it has a great story what with its popularity on the internet for a story driven game.

#46 Posted by uninspiredcup (8026 posts) -

@Vatusus said:

>Half-Life 2

>Best story

Choose one. HL2 story is as bland as it comes. Only the storytelling is done properly.

The thing that's funny about the story, Breen basically attempted to compromised rather than had humanity wiped out.

It was Gordon Freeman who opened the portal in the first place, causing all the (presumably billions) to die.

Yet he's the hero, and now, returned, has causes people to rebel, removing compromise and essentially causing the combine to want them all wiped out now.

When he's done, the citadel blows up, and an entire city is gone with probably dead people in the thousands or hundred of thousands lol.

It also mentioned at the start, it one of many urban centers. So, whats happening in all the other places? Genocide.

Nice work Freeman!

#47 Posted by Krelian-co (10488 posts) -

Xenogears

MGS 3

Last of Us

#48 Posted by blamix99 (1726 posts) -

TLOU

#49 Posted by farrell2k (5824 posts) -

You guys need to go back pretty far if "ever" is the criteria. Chrono trigger, Planescape:Torment, and The last of Us are great and all, but they don't hold a candle to the greats that came before them.

1. Cosmic Fantasy 2 TG16 CD - A cosmic love story spanning twenty years, ending in tragedy.

2. Lunar: The Silver Star SegaCD.

3. Lunar 2: Eternal Blue.

my 4th pick would likely be Chrono Trigger.

#50 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3508 posts) -

Final Fantasy XIII, Lollipop Chainsaw, DOA Xtreme 2.