The Thing That Bugs You In Your Favorite Genre?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

For me - it's every racing game makes this car the best drift car or the tutorial drift car.

What about you? What bugs you in the genre you enjoy the most?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44548 Posts

every shooter that gimps shotguns (especially in MP) to the point it's only effective at melee range, they can actually be effective even at a larger range sometimes, at least for games they should be kept to a medium range weapon with options like choke and shell type (Battlefield kind of did but still gimped it)

Loading Video...

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

Open world RPG's that don't control area progression so you outlevel most of the content just by playing the game. Witcher 3 and DA Inquisition both guilty of this. 'Go anywhere, do anything, to the point when you follow the main story everything is grey to you'. Genius at work.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#4 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

@blueinheaven: yea this bugs me as well, especially in the Witcher 3 because all of the content is actually worth playing so its annoying you out-level so much of it. DAI had pretty crappy side stuff so I was happy to bypass most of it.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Not necessarily my favorite genre, but one that I like a lot, stealth games. I wish they would step it the **** up on AI. They've made all these huge leaps in mechanics, level design, and recently they even took scale to the next level. But the AI is just baby steps forward, in some instances they even regress.

I know AI is something that has massive room for improvement across many genres, but stealth games would benefit from it big time.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 navyguy21  Online
Member since 2003 • 17421 Posts

JRPGs using the same font, same menu sound effects (and sometimes same icons) in most of the games.

I bought Tales of Zestiria and almost threw up.

Luckily its a great game despite the rehashed stuff

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

@with_teeth26 said:

@blueinheaven: yea this bugs me as well, especially in the Witcher 3 because all of the content is actually worth playing so its annoying you out-level so much of it. DAI had pretty crappy side stuff so I was happy to bypass most of it.

Witcher 3 was more of a shock because it's so well put together. I couldn't believe I went to the final continent and quests were like 8 levels below me wtf. I think they are obsessed with allowing people freedom. It would be much better IMO to lock people to one continent or land mass at a time and they progress to the next when they have reached a certain point of the story. If they want an easier time on the next land mass they just do more side quests and search for better loot ect.

It's not like the areas in both of these games aren't massive you should be quite happy in one area for a long time. I really don't understand the obsession with land hopping. Also the loot system absolutely sucks in both games and it's a direct result of this 'freedom at all costs' idiocy.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

In Beat-em up games like DMC and Bayonetta, there is a tendency to make the action into combat arenas, where you go forward a demon wall or some shit comes up and you fight the enemy. I'd like to see those combat mechanics being used in spaces and environmental elements so the setting plays more of a role in the game. Given how imaginative Bayonetta is, the fact that the setting is rarely used seems like a misstep. It's actively one of the things I love about Ninja Gaiden Black, it had arenas too, but it also had areas meant to feel like a place. You could back track a bit out of the starting combat area, and be chased by the enemy and essentially lure them back to a favorable choke point for you.

Among the many reasons Ninja Gaiden Black is the best game the genre has to offer, even if purely combat wise it might not have the same level combo depth as Bayonetta or even stack up favorably to the combat of its sequel. Tighter gameplay though than all of them. And that's saying a lot. Otogi had cool stuff, destructible environments and shit.

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#9 quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

Crappy AI in stealth games. I would love for the AI to act realisticslly, once they hear foot steps coming from one side of the building they would investigate where the noise was coming from. Instead they look like morons saying "I think I heard something, better check the next area instead of behind me.".