The System Wars Awards 2012 Results (Come one, come all, and gawk!)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#151 Posted by Blabadon (28160 posts) -
What did I tell you guys, all it takes is one Zaibach post...
#152 Posted by Zaibach (13463 posts) -

There's always going to be people begging for votes in something like this. Or perhaps using less honest tactics.

I guess it also depends on the importance one places on these awards. They're a bit of fun. For example Darklink (sorry to single you out) won SW King. When I read DL's future posts I won't give them any 'free' credibility. Each thread, post etc still stands alone and will be considered on it's own merits like all other posts. It basically means the SW community perceives him to be popular, respected, has notoriety - etc.

If I won anything I wouldn't really have been that bothered, but some people really like winning such things. For some people, winning an award here might be the best thing which happens to them all month!

I mean, consider 'most intelligent user'. Intelligence isn't measured by a democratic process, the award is mostly for fun, pride, or mana.

Besides, if cliques were getting their mates to bloc vote them in, well, I'd be surprised if they really felt they could take pride for winning. If I did that the award would feel very cheapened.

Next year, I would like to participate in the counting. It is possible to set it up with a comma separated format which would easily allow you to count everything. Furthermore, it could be counted publicly on a Google spreadsheet which would make anyone's assertion of foul play nonsense. I could describe further if interested.

psymon100

I never suggested any foul play though :P but you can see how these sort of awards can encourage toxic behaviour that has made this board a lame place to post.

Great post BTW :)

#153 Posted by Zaibach (13463 posts) -

[QUOTE="Zaibach"]

Lol, I knew I would get this response as soon as I clicked submit :P

How does one 'block' a vote, curious

I said cliques, not Unions, unions are pretty much dead these days bar a few.

Zassimick

If cliques were running the show then how in the world did I get 1/3 of the classiest user award? Your argument just got shut down! :P

Nah, I don't disagree with you. :P It's not a conspiracy or anything, hell this is an internet gaming forum, but the groups or cliques here do have influence just like in any sort of popularity contest like this; it's normal. Friends vote for friends because that is who they know.

So in order to win every award next year, I need to start making friends... hmm... this is going to be hard.

Zass, that Balbasaur in a monocle is very classy, those votes may be justified :P

#154 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

I never suggested any foul play though :P but you can see how these sort of awards can encourage toxic behaviour that has made this board a lame place to post.

Zaibach

well, we're working on that.

#155 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (28473 posts) -
]

Zaibach
Board has always been like that. Instead of people hiding behind and getting away with passive aggressive insults and passive aggressive trolling people not theres all out trolling. The old TOU was a shield behind which alot of users hid, baiting people and then getting them banned. The new one is far from perfect, but at least you don't have to tip toe round every statement without fear of a week off. As for it being lame, no one is forced to post here, but its the alts that are the real problem rather than any toxic behaviour.
#156 Posted by Zaibach (13463 posts) -

What did I tell you guys, all it takes is one Zaibach post...Blabadon

Are you saying, BOOO1 or BOO-URNS?! :P

#157 Posted by Zassimick (7054 posts) -

Zass, that Balbasaur in a monocle is very classy, those votes may be justified :P

Zaibach

I truly hope that this is the only reason I got the votes for Classiest User.

Monocles are classy.:cool:

#158 Posted by Zaibach (13463 posts) -

[QUOTE="Zaibach"]]

blue_hazy_basic

Board has always been like that. Instead of people hiding behind and getting away with passive aggressive insults and passive aggressive trolling people not theres all out trolling. The old TOU was a shield behind which alot of users hid, baiting people and then getting them banned. The new one is far from perfect, but at least you don't have to tip toe round every statement without fear of a week off. As for it being lame, no one is forced to post here, but its the alts that are the real problem rather than any toxic behaviour.

Call it hiding, call it passive agression, at least there was a bit of civility, and heck even the odd game related discussion.

As for your 'if you don like it you can geeeedout' I have been posting less and less.

I am merely stating that which has been lost, I would like to think that I have become some what of a SW veteran, I have seen this board and GS in general loose so many awesome posters in such a short time. Its just such a damn shame.

#159 Posted by DarkLink77 (31856 posts) -

There's always going to be people begging for votes in something like this. Or perhaps using less honest tactics.

I guess it also depends on the importance one places on these awards. They're a bit of fun. For example Darklink (sorry to single you out) won SW King. When I read DL's future posts I won't give them any 'free' credibility. Each thread, post etc still stands alone and will be considered on it's own merits like all other posts. It basically means the SW community perceives him to be popular, respected, has notoriety - etc.

If I won anything I wouldn't really have been that bothered, but some people really like winning such things. For some people, winning an award here might be the best thing which happens to them all month!

I mean, consider 'most intelligent user'. Intelligence isn't measured by a democratic process, the award is mostly for fun, pride, or mana.

Besides, if cliques were getting their mates to bloc vote them in, well, I'd be surprised if they really felt they could take pride for winning. If I did that the award would feel very cheapened.

Next year, I would like to participate in the counting. It is possible to set it up with a comma separated format which would easily allow you to count everything. Furthermore, it could be counted publicly on a Google spreadsheet which would make anyone's assertion of foul play nonsense. I could describe further if interested.

psymon100
I like this post. And don't worry about "singling me out." It was a good example, well-supported. As for counting: we'd love to have you. We're always looking to make vote counting easier. However, the accusations of foul play are baseless. Anyone can count the votes from the original thread if they want. It's a matter of public record. And frankly, it's more than a little insulting to me, Chaz, Freedom, Casey, fun, Blab, Stevo, Badosh, and the rest of the people that volunteered their time to set this up to (seriously, most of it is just general System Wars ribbing) imply that we're altering the count of a bunch of internet awards for our own personal gain. I mean, really? It's internet awards, guys. :|
#160 Posted by Zaibach (13463 posts) -

[QUOTE="Zaibach"]

Zassimick

I hope it isnt.

#161 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

However, the accusations of foul play are baseless. Anyone can count the votes from the original thread if they want. It's a matter of public record. And frankly, it's more than a little insulting to me, Chaz, Freedom, Casey, fun, Blab, Stevo, Badosh, and the rest of the people that volunteered their time to set this up to (seriously, most of it is just general System Wars ribbing) imply that we're altering the count of a bunch of internet awards for our own personal gain. I mean, really? It's internet awards, guys. :|DarkLink77

Well, the SW King out of all people shouldn't be any suprised with people making problems out of thin air, or going out of their way to act offended! :P

#162 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

[QUOTE="Zaibach"]]

blue_hazy_basic

do you remember the days of the old, old terms of use? the golden age of system wars? it's not terribly different from what we have now. some trolling and flaming was allowed but not the extent of what's allowed now. it totally worked and for a long time too. it's just the large number of off topic threads that killed it. if we could get something between the previous and current terms of use, i think most of the problems here would be solved. like i mentioned earlier, we're working on this.

#163 Posted by Blabadon (28160 posts) -
Essentially, the people "running" these awards (and perhaps SW if someone were to think so) near all have one thing in common and that's that they post in the Lounge. So pro-tip, you want to get in on SW related things like Top 50 Must Play games or SW Awards, post in the Lounge.
#164 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (28473 posts) -

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="Zaibach"]]

Zaibach

Call it hiding, call it passive agression, at least there was a bit of civility, and heck even the odd game related discussion.

As for your 'if you don like it you can geeeedout' I have been posting less and less.

I am merely stating that which has been lost, I would like to think that I have become some what of a SW veteran, I have seen this board and GS in general loose so many awesome posters in such a short time. Its just such a damn shame.

So we should really honor those posters who are good in order to improve things is what you're saying? :P Also I never suggested that people who don't like it should get out. I'd far rather they participated and had reasoned conversation vs just making stuff up and yelling jelly and butthurt at people who provide a counter like some posters do. Better we work to fix the problem than simply throw out hands up and give up.
#165 Posted by Zaibach (13463 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]However, the accusations of foul play are baseless. Anyone can count the votes from the original thread if they want. It's a matter of public record. And frankly, it's more than a little insulting to me, Chaz, Freedom, Casey, fun, Blab, Stevo, Badosh, and the rest of the people that volunteered their time to set this up to (seriously, most of it is just general System Wars ribbing) imply that we're altering the count of a bunch of internet awards for our own personal gain. I mean, really? It's internet awards, guys. :|Rocker6

Well, the SW King out of all people shouldn't be any suprised with people making problems out of thin air, or going out of their way to act offended! :P

Aagain, never once claimed foul play, but glad people have picked up an imaginary ball and are running with it though, its actually quite heart warming, very SW.

#166 Posted by AdobeArtist (23023 posts) -

[QUOTE="Zaibach"]

why have these awards? it just empowers the a$$holes that run around the place even more

CaseyWegner

it's fun and it helps to build a community here.

And in that community sense, it also gives recognition to the members who contribute material of substance, that they get their due credit for their positive influence on the community. So it isn't just the "grinches" that get their moment in the spotlight ;)

Its just a bit of fun dude, lighten up!blue_hazy_basic

What he said too :)

#167 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (28473 posts) -

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="Zaibach"]]

CaseyWegner

do you remember the days of the old, old terms of use? the golden age of system wars? it's not terribly different from what we have now. some trolling and flaming was allowed but not the extent of what's allowed now. it totally worked and for a long time too. it's just the large number of off topic threads that killed it. if we could get something between the previous and current terms of use, i think most of the problems here would be solved. like i mentioned earlier, we're working on this.

People got all serious about being owned and upset rather than it being lulzy when it happened
#168 Posted by DarkLink77 (31856 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]However, the accusations of foul play are baseless. Anyone can count the votes from the original thread if they want. It's a matter of public record. And frankly, it's more than a little insulting to me, Chaz, Freedom, Casey, fun, Blab, Stevo, Badosh, and the rest of the people that volunteered their time to set this up to (seriously, most of it is just general System Wars ribbing) imply that we're altering the count of a bunch of internet awards for our own personal gain. I mean, really? It's internet awards, guys. :|Zaibach

Aagain, never once claimed foul play, but glad people have picked up an imaginary ball and are running with it htough, its actually quite heart warming, very SW.

I wasn't referring to you, just the notion in general.
#169 Posted by psymon100 (6835 posts) -

Anyone can count the votes from the original thread if they want. It's a matter of public record. DarkLink77

Thank you, and yes this is all true.

I guess my angle was more along the lines of making counting more automated, open, and easily verifiable.

Edit - It might seem dumb for me to say 'more open' when they're already public domain. Maybe 'more open' is a my most pathetic descriptor yet!

I never suggested any foul play though :P Zaibach

Thank you too, and yes that's true, there were others mentioning foul play earlier. There were a few isues raised by multiple users and I was trying to tackle them while being as neutral as possible.

#170 Posted by Zaibach (13463 posts) -

[QUOTE="Zaibach"]

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"] Board has always been like that. Instead of people hiding behind and getting away with passive aggressive insults and passive aggressive trolling people not theres all out trolling. The old TOU was a shield behind which alot of users hid, baiting people and then getting them banned. The new one is far from perfect, but at least you don't have to tip toe round every statement without fear of a week off. As for it being lame, no one is forced to post here, but its the alts that are the real problem rather than any toxic behaviour.blue_hazy_basic

So we should really honor those posters who are good in order to improve things is what you're saying? :P Also I never suggested that people who don't like it should get out. I'd far rather they participated and had reasoned conversation vs just making stuff up and yelling jelly and butthurt at people who provide a counter like some posters do. Better we work to fix the problem than simply throw out hands up and give up.

We know who the trolls and some of the alts are

but as far as who is a 'good poster' goes, they differ from person to person.

#171 Posted by Zassimick (7054 posts) -

[QUOTE="Zassimick"]

Zaibach

I hope it isnt.

I'm not ignorant of the power of a monocle, I know what it means to people.

In all seriousness, first time I've been recognized in these awards, and for a nice award no less. I'm content. :)

#173 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]However, the accusations of foul play are baseless. Anyone can count the votes from the original thread if they want. It's a matter of public record. And frankly, it's more than a little insulting to me, Chaz, Freedom, Casey, fun, Blab, Stevo, Badosh, and the rest of the people that volunteered their time to set this up to (seriously, most of it is just general System Wars ribbing) imply that we're altering the count of a bunch of internet awards for our own personal gain. I mean, really? It's internet awards, guys. :|Zaibach

Aagain, never once claimed foul play, but glad people have picked up an imaginary ball and are running with it though, its actually quite heart warming, very SW.

Um... what part of my post has anything to do with you? :?

I was just making a pun in the general direction, I wasn't after any specific posters...

#174 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"] Board has always been like that. Instead of people hiding behind and getting away with passive aggressive insults and passive aggressive trolling people not theres all out trolling. The old TOU was a shield behind which alot of users hid, baiting people and then getting them banned. The new one is far from perfect, but at least you don't have to tip toe round every statement without fear of a week off. As for it being lame, no one is forced to post here, but its the alts that are the real problem rather than any toxic behaviour.blue_hazy_basic

People got all serious about being owned and upset rather than it being lulzy when it happened

we did get some pretty funny "owned" pictures out of it. we never see those anymore.

#175 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (43208 posts) -
Congratulations to the users, honestly didn't think my hype thread was all that special (especially considering Treal's amazing Halo Reach thread; pity he doesn't post here for he probably would have put mine to shame). Anyways, wish there was more votes. SWA wasn't too popular this year, perhaps if we streamline the awards a bit next year we can hopefully draw some more support in.
#176 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

Congratulations to the users, honestly didn't think my hype thread was all that special (especially considering Treal's amazing Halo Reach thread; pity he doesn't post here for he probably would have put mine to shame). Anyways, wish there was more votes. SWA wasn't too popular this year, perhaps if we streamline the awards a bit next year we can hopefully draw some more support in.Stevo_the_gamer

i suppose it was rather intimidating seeing the huge number of categories.

#177 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (28473 posts) -
Congratulations to the users, honestly didn't think my hype thread was all that special (especially considering Treal's amazing Halo Reach thread; pity he doesn't post here for he probably would have put mine to shame). Anyways, wish there was more votes. SWA wasn't too popular this year, perhaps if we streamline the awards a bit next year we can hopefully draw some more support in.Stevo_the_gamer
Would be controversial but having nominees in each category would help immensely.
#178 Posted by Zaibach (13463 posts) -

[QUOTE="Zaibach"]

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

Rocker6

Um... what part of my post has anything to do with you? :?

I was just making a pun in the general direction, I wasn't after any specific posters...

Apologies, my mistake, thats what I get for not having read through the entire thread :P

#179 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (43208 posts) -
[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]Congratulations to the users, honestly didn't think my hype thread was all that special (especially considering Treal's amazing Halo Reach thread; pity he doesn't post here for he probably would have put mine to shame). Anyways, wish there was more votes. SWA wasn't too popular this year, perhaps if we streamline the awards a bit next year we can hopefully draw some more support in.blue_hazy_basic
Would be controversial but having nominees in each category would help immensely.

Whatever the means to the end, we have plenty of time to sit on it till the 2013 SWAs.
#180 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]Congratulations to the users, honestly didn't think my hype thread was all that special (especially considering Treal's amazing Halo Reach thread; pity he doesn't post here for he probably would have put mine to shame). Anyways, wish there was more votes. SWA wasn't too popular this year, perhaps if we streamline the awards a bit next year we can hopefully draw some more support in.CaseyWegner

Indeed, this was my first voting, when I first saw the list, I wanted to just run away!

Streamlining it a bit would definitely be a step in the right direction...

#181 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]Congratulations to the users, honestly didn't think my hype thread was all that special (especially considering Treal's amazing Halo Reach thread; pity he doesn't post here for he probably would have put mine to shame). Anyways, wish there was more votes. SWA wasn't too popular this year, perhaps if we streamline the awards a bit next year we can hopefully draw some more support in.blue_hazy_basic

there did used to be something where there were two rounds of voting. the first would be a totally open vote and the second round would have nominees based on the number of votes for the first round. it's a lot of extra work, though.

#182 Posted by Blabadon (28160 posts) -
Treal's thread was legendary.Yours belongs right with it Stevo.
#183 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (43208 posts) -
[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]Congratulations to the users, honestly didn't think my hype thread was all that special (especially considering Treal's amazing Halo Reach thread; pity he doesn't post here for he probably would have put mine to shame). Anyways, wish there was more votes. SWA wasn't too popular this year, perhaps if we streamline the awards a bit next year we can hopefully draw some more support in.Blabadon

Too kind, amigo.
#184 Posted by charizard1605 (60711 posts) -
[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]Congratulations to the users, honestly didn't think my hype thread was all that special (especially considering Treal's amazing Halo Reach thread; pity he doesn't post here for he probably would have put mine to shame). Anyways, wish there was more votes. SWA wasn't too popular this year, perhaps if we streamline the awards a bit next year we can hopefully draw some more support in.Stevo_the_gamer

Too kind, amigo.

Too modest brah
#185 Posted by Blabadon (28160 posts) -
[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="Blabadon"]Treal's thread was legendary.Yours belongs right with it Stevo.charizard1605
Too kind, amigo.

Too modest brah

Seriously. I almost (almost!) got the urge to go back and read the last 7,000 posts of Stevo's thread for Kuraimen's posts. I never even think about doing that for other threads.
#186 Posted by The_Game21x (26342 posts) -

I guess all good runs have to come to an end at some point.

After three consecutive years of holding the Best Writer crown (and not bragging about it like a douche), I see the title has been passed to Charizard. That's fine. Congrats to Charizard and congrats to everyone else who won.

For now, I'm happy with my newfound titles of best community reviewer and King Lemming.:D

Still haven't decided if I want to totally milk that second one. :P

#187 Posted by archvile_78 (8384 posts) -

Grats to the winners.

#188 Posted by DarkLink77 (31856 posts) -

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]Congratulations to the users, honestly didn't think my hype thread was all that special (especially considering Treal's amazing Halo Reach thread; pity he doesn't post here for he probably would have put mine to shame). Anyways, wish there was more votes. SWA wasn't too popular this year, perhaps if we streamline the awards a bit next year we can hopefully draw some more support in.Rocker6

Indeed, this was my first voting, when I first saw the list, I wanted to just run away!

Streamlining it a bit would definitely be a step in the right direction...

Yeah, that is the one thing I am not happy about this year. We do need to streamline it, but we've put systems in place so that happens. In fact, if you guys have any feedback for any awards you'd like to see stay or go, we'd love to hear it.
#189 Posted by Heil68 (46655 posts) -

[QUOTE="Zaibach"]

CaseyWegner

"We're" lolz
#190 Posted by DarkLink77 (31856 posts) -
[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"] Too kind, amigo.

Too modest brah

Seriously. I almost (almost!) got the urge to go back and read the last 7,000 posts of Stevo's thread for Kuraimen's posts. I never even think about doing that for other threads.

Quite so, Stevo. Damn good thread. Damn good.
#191 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="Zaibach"]

Heil68

"We're" lolz

yes. "we're" working on it. spent a few hours last week with system wars mods, a community manager, rangers, and another system wars poster discussing the problems and what to do about them.

#192 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (43208 posts) -
[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="Zaibach"]

Heil68

"We're" lolz

Why is that funny, hypocrite?
#193 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (28473 posts) -
*looks@panties in a bunch quote chains* :P
#194 Posted by siLVURcross (26106 posts) -

why have these awards? it just empowers the a$$holes that run around the place even more

Zaibach
People taking these awards seriously should be more concerning.
#195 Posted by Badosh (12741 posts) -
Congrats to all the winners!Badosh
And, also thanks to all the people who voted for me!
#196 Posted by DarkLink77 (31856 posts) -
[QUOTE="Badosh"]Congrats to all the winners!Badosh

You're welcome, bro. Also, what is your avatar from? Been meaning to ask.
#197 Posted by charizard1605 (60711 posts) -
[QUOTE="Badosh"]Congrats to all the winners!Badosh

Anytime, bro
#198 Posted by psymon100 (6835 posts) -

His updated self portrait.

#199 Posted by Badosh (12741 posts) -
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] You're welcome, bro. Also, what is your avatar from? Been meaning to ask.

Behemoth's new game, BattleBlock Theater
#200 Posted by Heil68 (46655 posts) -
[QUOTE="Heil68"][QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

Stevo_the_gamer
"We're" lolz

Why is that funny, hypocrite?

LOL...