The SW, post your screenshots thread. (56K)

#552 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (17537 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:
@jun_aka_pekto said:

@contracts420 said:

@scottpsfan14 I may have to agree with you. After looking at the Infamous photos in this thread, the Watchdogs screenshots don't look so good any more.

I much prefer the dynamic day/night cycle and dynamic weather of Watch Dogs.

360 port.

And more immersive.

#553 Edited by parkurtommo (27709 posts) -

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@parkurtommo said:
@jun_aka_pekto said:

Now that I replaced the old GTX 560 Ti with its measly 1Gb VRAM, I followed the tips of some posters here..... He He.

Don't you dare insult my gpu :c

I really need to upgrade though.

I still have my GTX 560 Ti in my Phenom II X3 PC. Plays decently the latest games on a 19" 1440x900.monitor. Seriously though, 1gb VRAM is becoming inadequate. Some in-game screenshot captures in Far Cry 3 show black spaces in the background where textures failed to load (VRAM starvation?).

See? If I use a 3rd party app, no problems. But, if I use the in-game capture with 1080p Ultra, 8x MSAA:

I don't think lack of VRAM can cause texture errors... I think that's an engine error. I did experience a lot of black textures and glitches in my playhthrough of Brother: Two Sons, I highly doubt a game like that would eb using more than 1gb of vram hahaha.

Yeah 1gb is totally inadequate though. Can't wait to upgrade, just gotta wait a bit.

#554 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (17537 posts) -

@parkurtommo said:

I don't think lack of VRAM can cause texture errors... I think that's an engine error. I did experience a lot of black textures and glitches in my playhthrough of Brother: Two Sons, I highly doubt a game like that would eb using more than 1gb of vram hahaha.

Yeah 1gb is totally inadequate though. Can't wait to upgrade, just gotta wait a bit.

It doesn't happen with 3rd-party apps such as FRAPS or Bandicam. So, it could be an engine error too. With my GTX 560 Ti, the error occurs anytime. With my GTX 770, the error only occurs with 8xMSAA. It doesn't occur with 4xMSAA. Everything else is maxed, eg maximum pre-rendered frames, Ultra, etc.

#555 Edited by 7MDMA (315 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:
@jun_aka_pekto said:

@contracts420 said:

@scottpsfan14 I may have to agree with you. After looking at the Infamous photos in this thread, the Watchdogs screenshots don't look so good any more.

360 port.

Have you seen Watchdogs on PC at 1440p with TXAA and running the unlocked settings that were left out of the vanilla game? Consult BenBuja's post on page 11, he's running the "mod". I do personally prefer the look of Watchdogs as well but then I'm a fan of some of some of the added aesthetics like Bokeh DOF and the improved bloom in the unlocked version; and TXAA is amazing in Watchdogs. ISS probably does look better than console Watchdogs which runs at 900p, SSAA (or worse I think) and everything set to a high preset.

#557 Edited by parkurtommo (27709 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:Infamous is simply a more graphically advanced game. Much more is going on in unison.

Prove it.

#558 Edited by Ben-Buja (2783 posts) -
@jun_aka_pekto said:

@contracts420 said:

I think Infamous looks pretty good, but the whole picture always seeems blurry and the distant LOD is pretty bad judging by screens that constantly get posted here. Look at the trees in this shot, they really stick out because of complete lack of shadows:

Anyway, I've been playing some DayZ

#559 Posted by parkurtommo (27709 posts) -

@Ben-Buja said:
@jun_aka_pekto said:

@contracts420 said:

I think Infamous looks pretty good, but the whole picture always seeems blurry and the distant LOD is pretty bad judging by screens that constantly get posted here. Look at the trees in this shot, they really stick out because of complete lack of shadows:

To be fair, you never get to go on to the ceilings of buildings in Watch Dogs, so there aren't many ways to see any draw distance issues (at least from what I experienced).

#560 Edited by Cobra_nVidia (1885 posts) -

Starcraft 2

Seems to run perfectly fine on the macbook. Temps and frame rates are good. I hope it's fine to control with a trackpad on easy difficulty setting!

#561 Edited by Ben-Buja (2783 posts) -

@parkurtommo said:

@Ben-Buja said:

To be fair, you never get to go on to the ceilings of buildings in Watch Dogs, so there aren't many ways to see any draw distance issues (at least from what I experienced).

You can get on the roof of buildings in the Spidertank digital trip, but I think there isn't much much draw distance to see cause there's some force field around the playable area.

You can look across the river though, like this:

Here are a couple more screenshots with TheWorse 0.97

#562 Edited by Ben-Buja (2783 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:
@jun_aka_pekto said:

@contracts420 said:

360 port.

Are there even 360 assets in the next gen and PC version? Some objects in the environment have too many polygons for 360 and PS3 I think. It's possible to create higher quality meshes for a next gen version, you know.

Edit:

I'm sure if we did proper comparison of different elements of the game that Watch Dogs would come out on top in many of them.

For example:

Water

Infamous

Watch Dogs

Foliage

Infamous

Watch Dogs

#563 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17515 posts) -

@Ben-Buja said:

@parkurtommo said:

@Ben-Buja said:

You can get on the roof of buildings in the Spidertank digital trip, but I think there isn't much much draw distance to see cause there's some force field around the playable area.

You can look across the river though, like this:

And there are many more spots like that, that offer a good view on the draw distance.

@parkurtommo, this is an open world game, if you explore a bit you'll find spots. You don't need rooftops for a comparison to Infamous.

Nice shots of the Worse Mod, Ben. Some shots look amazing, but I'm just not a fan of the DOF in this mod.

#564 Posted by Ben-Buja (2783 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

And there are many more spots like that, that offer a good view on the draw distance.

@parkurtommo, this is an open world game, if you explore a bit you'll find spots. You don't need rooftops for a comparison to Infamous.

Nice shots of the Worse Mod, Ben. Some shots look amazing, but I'm just not a fan of the DOF in this mod.

Thanks. You can turn off the DOF in the graphics menu if you don't like the effect, butI'm sure he will release different options once the mod is done

#565 Edited by Cobra_nVidia (1885 posts) -

Guild Wars 2

Ahhh! :O

#566 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (26357 posts) -

Old Skyrim Pics.

#567 Edited by gameofthering (10467 posts) -

@Cobra_nVidia: I've not really been playing Starcraft that much. I need to get back into it.

Edit: Might install it the now actually.

#568 Posted by remiks00 (2510 posts) -

@LegatoSkyheart: dat moon. :D

#570 Posted by scatteh316 (5021 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:
@parkurtommo said:

@scottpsfan14 said:Infamous is simply a more graphically advanced game. Much more is going on in unison.

Prove it.

Well, it's common sense that a game designed to run on a PS3/360 will be less advanced. It has a lot better lighting and textures than the last gen consoles obv, but the WD on PS4 and on PC is the same game with the same assets. Infamous SS is designed for PS4 only. It's in another leauge really in terms of the renderer underneath. It's simply confused people the fact it's on PC makes people automatically think it's the most graphically advanced open world game. Not true.

Brag about I:SS when it actually manages an half decent LOD for distant objects because it's completely piss poor.... And the shadow LOD is just as bad.

#572 Posted by Wasdie (50640 posts) -

@scatteh316 said:

Brag about I:SS when it actually manages an half decent LOD for distant objects because it's completely piss poor.... And the shadow LOD is just as bad.

Funny because I don't see any open world game on the PC that looks as good or has as advanced as a graphics engine as InFamous. I'm sure when the WItcher 3 finally hits that will change, but there hasn't been anything modern out for the PC lately that looks better.

#573 Posted by Ben-Buja (2783 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:
@parkurtommo said:

Prove it.

Well, it's common sense that a game designed to run on a PS3/360 will be less advanced. It has a lot better lighting and textures than the last gen consoles obv, but the WD on PS4 and on PC is the same game with the same assets. Infamous SS is designed for PS4 only. It's in another leauge really in terms of the renderer underneath. It's simply confused people the fact it's on PC makes people automatically think it's the most graphically advanced open world game. Not true.

It's possible to develop 2 different version of the game, you know. Is there even any proof that there are 360 assets in the PC and next gen version?

If anything the water in infamous looks straight out of a PS3 open world game. (Actually it looks worse than GTA Vs and RDRs water by far)

"t's in another leauge really in terms of the renderer underneath."

What exactly does that mean?

Infamous can't even do proper anisotropic filtering which is a common effect that modern GPUs can do with almost zero performance hit.

#574 Edited by scatteh316 (5021 posts) -

@Wasdie said:

@scatteh316 said:

Funny because I don't see any open world game on the PC that looks as good or has as advanced as a graphics engine as InFamous. I'm sure when the WItcher 3 finally hits that will change, but there hasn't been anything modern out for the PC lately that looks better.

As an overallpackage, Watch Dogs is better... Infamous looks good at distances within 30 meters of the player... You could even the first Crysis game is 'open world'

#575 Posted by Wasdie (50640 posts) -

@scatteh316 said:

As an overallpackage, Watch Dogs is better... Infamous looks good at distances within 30 meters of the player...

I disagree. Playing Watch Dogs on the highest settings at 1440p doesn't look as good as Infamous Second Son. Now this is without any of the mods or SweetFX stuff which add a lot of post to Watch Dogs that it originally didn't have.

#576 Edited by Ben-Buja (2783 posts) -

@Wasdie:

But do you just prefer the artstyle or is it technically superior? And if it's the latter, in which ways?

#578 Edited by scatteh316 (5021 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Ben-Buja said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@parkurtommo said:

Prove it.

It's possible to develop 2 different version of the game, you know. Is there even any proof that there are 360 assets in the PC and next gen version?

If anything the water in infamous looks straight out of a PS3 open world game. (Actually it looks worse than GTA Vs and RDRs water by far)

Infamous can't even do proper anisotropic filtering which is a common effect that modern GPUs can do with almost zero performance hit.

Listen, you can go on and list a million shortcomings of games. Infamous has a draw distance issue. Agreed. Pretty bad handling of LOD's on SP's part. Now as for the Infamous SS water, it is weird. I think it's art choice. It's a very similar shader to Infamous 2 water. Like no change.

Developing 2 different games isn't feasible. WD on PS3 has the same assets as PS4/PC. With lower lighting, textures and resolution. Watch this video.

The same assets but yet lower lighting and textures? They're not the same then are they?

#579 Posted by lostrib (42741 posts) -

@Cobra_nVidia said:

Guild Wars 2

Ahhh! :O

How is GW2 these days? I haven't played it in a while because I got tired of trying to keep up with the bi-monthly content updates. Are they still doing that?

#580 Posted by Ben-Buja (2783 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Ben-Buja said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@parkurtommo said:

Prove it.

Listen, you can go on and list a million shortcomings of games. Infamous has a draw distance issue. Agreed. Pretty bad handling of LOD's on SP's part. Now as for the Infamous SS water, it is weird. I think it's art choice. It's a very similar shader to Infamous 2 water. Like no change.

Developing 2 different games isn't feasible. WD on PS3 has the same assets as PS4/PC. With lower lighting, textures and resolution. Watch this video.

If you think the content artists made significantly higher res character models for the PS4/PC version then you are mistaken. They are the same game exactly with added effects and resolution etc. People always like to call bullshit when I say that for some reason. Always hermits too.

Also when I said 'renderer underneath', I meant the actual rendering pipeline of the game itself. You find with all PC game ports that the rendering pipeline is drawing the exact same things to screen as the console version with extra effects added on. Infamous SS is a next gen game of it's genre. Compared to Infamous 2, it's a generational leap. Different games have different focus points so it's hard to determine the best looking game or what ever. Watch Dogs looks great with the DOF effects turned on and the tessellated water that looks real almost. Beats Infamous water by a million times. But that just so happened to be a focus point. GTA SA beats Infamous for car physics, but that's a focus point of that game. Get me?

For what Infamous is, it's the best of it's kind. It's simply an 8th gen super hero sand box game. Infamous 2/Prototype 2 etc are 7th gen super hero sand box games. And I think you will agree that there is a massive difference between Infamous 2 and SS. Watch Dogs is a game with a far less advanced rendering pipeline. A one created for PS3/360 in mind. This is why PC devs say they were limited by last gen consoles. It was the graphics pipeline they were speaking of. Look at all games that have a version on PS3/360, they are ALL limited by having assets created for 2005 GPU's.

Look at how AC Unity looks compared to the rest of the games because it's next gen only. If that was yet another PS3/360/PS4/XB1/PC/WiiU game, it would probably have stuck with the AC3/4 engine again and saw only minor improvements in lighting and textures even on the PC version. AC Unity has a rendering pipeline on another level to AC4. You can see the use of PBR and full body motion simulation straight away in the gameplay footage. The lighting looks more natural and more like CGI than a game. Look at Batman Arkham Knight (which is next gen only) compared to Arkham City. It's not just lighting and textures that are better, it's the whole rendering pipeline and assets that are a gen ahead. Many many developers talk of the possibilities of what next gen consoles will allow game content artists to come up with even on PC games.

Infamous SS might not have a hyper realistic artstyle, but think of what Uncharted 3 looks like compared to Infamous 2 on the same hardware. Expect Uncharted 4 to have a similar difference over Infamous SS. And that is an exciting prospect as Infamous SS is arguably one of the best looking games out now period in certain areas. With a regular rendering of 11 million polygons at any given time. That is a very geometrically dense world.

Thanks for taking your time to explain that.

"With a regular rendering of 11 million polygons at any given time. That is a very geometrically dense world."

For polygons goes the diminishing returns rule, there are many aspects more important than the complexity of meshes imo. Including shaders, lighting, animations, AA, AF, texture quality, shadows and ambient occlusion.

Also how many polygons does Watch Dogs render at any given time? Without knowing how much it does in comparison that figure is useless.

#582 Edited by clyde46 (47572 posts) -

MGS: Rising.

#583 Edited by cfisher2833 (2150 posts) -

Divinity Original Sin

#585 Posted by Ben-Buja (2783 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Ben-Buja said:

"With a regular rendering of 11 million polygons at any given time. That is a very geometrically dense world."

For polygons goes the diminishing returns rule, there are many aspects more important than the complexity of meshes imo. Including shaders, lighting, animations, AA, AF, texture quality, shadows and ambient occlusion.

Also how many polygons does Watch Dogs render at any given time? Without knowing how much it does in comparison that figure is useless.

Well, as for shaders, Infamous beats WD by quite a margin. It's usage of PBR alone means that light reacts to surfaces more natrually. WD does not use this even on PC. Animations in Infamous is also better given the amount of muscle joints they have rendered in the 120,000 polygon character models. AA is AA. It can be applied to any 3D application. This does not determine how 'advanced' a games graphics are. Textures are quite consistent in Infamous. Not the sharpest in any game, but still nice. Shadows are very well anti aliased in both games.

I don't know how many polygons WD renders at a time. The game art in Infamous is made up of more polygons than WD. PS4 assets > PS3 assets. All I know is that Infamous is currently higher than any other game out there for polygons rendered. The character models alone are made of 120,000 polygons. Very detailed. They simply had a higher poly budget with next gen development. It comes with developing fot Shadermodel 5 class hardware alone without considering 2005 GPU's.

Infamous SS has shortcoming in LOD distance. And shadow LOD's. If they were fixed, the game would require 4 GTX Titan Blacks to run at 30fps 1080p. Because the world is so geometrically dense, increasing the draw distance by even a few feet would add hundreds of thousands of polygons to render. We all know what happens to GTA 4 PC if you crank up that draw distance slider.

Exaggerating a bit about 4 GTX Titan Blacks for 30 fps are we? lol

About AA, I'm saying it's often more important to visual quality than the complexity of meshes of clutter in the world. Same goes for AF, I don't understand why so many PS4 games are lacking in this area, AFx16 greatly increases the visual quality of distant textures with minimal performance hit on any decent GPU.

I'd argue that TXAA and HBAO+ are next gen effects as well, they're not possible on Xbox 360 level hardware same goes with the tessellated water in Watch Dogs.

At it's core WD is still a 7th gen game though, that's true.

True 8th gen multiplats will come soon.

#586 Edited by clyde46 (47572 posts) -

Kicking ass in MWO again.

#587 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (17537 posts) -

Aerofly FS

#588 Edited by Ben-Buja (2783 posts) -

Holy shit Aerofly FS looks good, is it easy to learn if you don't have any prior experience with flight simulators?

#589 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (17537 posts) -

@Ben-Buja said:

Holy shit Aerofly FS looks good, is it easy to learn if you don't have any prior experience with flight simulators?

Not for me. I did a lot of spins and stalls right after takeoff until I learned to trim the aircraft. After that, I had to learn to keep the aircraft within its flight envelope. Otherwise, it's more spins and stalls which can be nerve-wracking especially in the middle of a dogfight*. Lining up the runway to land also took me a long time to learn.

*I mean flight sims in general. Aerofly FS is more newbie friendly than say, X-Plane. If I was a newbie, X-Plane would give me the most difficulty.

#590 Posted by Cobra_nVidia (1885 posts) -

@lostrib: Idk really I'm just a junior Guild Wars 2 adventurer!

#591 Edited by I_can_haz (6511 posts) -
More from the open world graphics king

#592 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (17537 posts) -

Cliffs of Dover. Not able to make it back to the channel.

#593 Edited by lostrib (42741 posts) -

I think T-Bone is my favorite character in Watch Dogs

#594 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (17537 posts) -
@lostrib said:

I think T-Bone is my favorite character in Watch Dogs

Who's T-Bone? I'm still somewhere in Act II where I just got done blackmailing Bedbug.

#595 Edited by scatteh316 (5021 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:
@scatteh316 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Ben-Buja said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@parkurtommo said:

Prove it.

The same assets but yet lower lighting and textures? They're not the same then are they?

Assets are pieces of game art made through the content creation pipeline that are rendered through the rendering pipeline. Lighting and textures are not assets. They are scalable with the engine without gimping the game itself. Also, Infamous lighting is actually better in a lot of ways. It has full fledged Physically based lighting/rendering. The lighting conditions look more natural in different areas without the need for specular maps on surfaces. Light reacts to surfaces more naturally basically. 7th gen games lack this.

Any way, the video shows the exact same assets and polygons (the same game) running on both versions. In no way is WD on PS4/PC a next gen game. You will see what I mean when they develop a fully next gen WD game. The difference will be very noticable. Adding better lighting to Tomb Raider 4 will never make it as graphically advanced as Uncharted 1. Even if some lighting and textures are superior on the modded Tomb Raider 4. The core game of WD is the same on all platforms. Infamous SS isn't just Infamous 2 with more lighting and resolution. The rendering pipeline is in another leauge. WD RP on PS4 = WD RP on PS3 with better textures, draw distance, lighting, and all sorts of othr engine effects. It does make the game look a lot better than the PS3 version of course, but it's simply a cosmetic upgrade and in no way effects the core game.

Textures and lighting are not assets? GTFO...... There's some developers over at Beyond3D laughing at you right now...

#596 Posted by scatteh316 (5021 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Ben-Buja said:

Infamous SS has shortcoming in LOD distance. And shadow LOD's. If they were fixed, the game would require 4 GTX Titan Blacks to run at 30fps 1080p. Because the world is so geometrically dense, increasing the draw distance by even a few feet would add hundreds of thousands of polygons to render. We all know what happens to GTA 4 PC if you crank up that draw distance slider.

Funniest sentence ever... Crysis 1 pushes more polygons then I:SS

#597 Edited by m3dude1 (1644 posts) -

@Ben-Buja said:

Exaggerating a bit about 4 GTX Titan Blacks for 30 fps are we? lol

About AA, I'm saying it's often more important to visual quality than the complexity of meshes of clutter in the world. Same goes for AF, I don't understand why so many PS4 games are lacking in this area, AFx16 greatly increases the visual quality of distant textures with minimal performance hit on any decent GPU.

I'd argue that TXAA and HBAO+ are next gen effects as well, they're not possible on Xbox 360 level hardware same goes with the tessellated water in Watch Dogs.

At it's core WD is still a 7th gen game though, that's true.

True 8th gen multiplats will come soon.

funny hearing you preach about the importance of AA when the watch dogs screens you post have worse image quality than infamous(when you dont cover them in that horrible blur filter).

oh and please provide us some comparison shots showing the difference theworse mod makes other than horrible DOF since you and your cronies consistently use it as some sort of proof of pc graphical superiority.

#600 Posted by Ben-Buja (2783 posts) -

@m3dude1 said:

funny hearing you preach about the importance of AA when the watch dogs screens you post have worse image quality than infamous(when you dont cover them in that horrible blur filter).

oh and please provide us some comparison shots showing the difference theworse mod makes other than horrible DOF since you and your cronies consistently use it as some sort of proof of pc graphical superiority.

They were taken in 2560x1440 and TXAAx4. LOL Worse image quality than Infamous at 1080p and whatever blurry post processing method it uses. Sure buddy, suuuure.

It's also funny how you keep calling the DOF horrible, yet most Infamous screens use DOF as well.

Yeah, I'm not gonna take you serious when you post dumb shit like that. I'm not even gonna bother posting comparison pictures, you will just make up some stupid crap again.