The Stick of Truth revew is up, 7/10

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by jhonMalcovich (4742 posts) -

Gamespot review, 7/10

IGN review, 9/10

Basically, GS punished the game for not being enough RPG, but humor and story are solid.

I would play it for the story alone. IGN said it´s like an 18-hour South Park movie. Sounds good enough to me.

Any early impressions ?

#2 Posted by edwardecl (2239 posts) -

Depends what you want really, story or gameplay.

#3 Edited by locopatho (20282 posts) -

The impression I get is average gameplay but funny story. For South Park humour, yeah I'm willing to play average gameplay.

#4 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3572 posts) -

Hmm, it wasn't slammed. Good score.

#5 Edited by Crossel777 (5595 posts) -

So many flops lately. 2014, year of the below average.

#6 Posted by finalstar2007 (25185 posts) -

@Crossel777 said:

So many flops lately.

Well the review clearly says "Good".

not really a flop just syain :P

#7 Posted by yokofox33 (29662 posts) -

Pfffft, whatever. It's South Park. I'll love it.

#8 Posted by lazerface216 (7497 posts) -

giant bomb gave this game a 5/5. i trust their opinion much more. no one's expecting a deep, hardcore role playing experience, we just want an awesome south park game and we finally got it.

#9 Posted by Suppaman100 (3910 posts) -

GS and scores are always BS.

BRB TLOU getting 8, meanwhile it's considered to be the best game of last gen, won the most GOTY's and got 10's everywhere

#10 Posted by sukraj (22775 posts) -

that's a reasonable score.

#11 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10557 posts) -

Its South Park and receiving good reviews. I've bought it already!

#12 Edited by LJS9502_basic (151048 posts) -

@lazerface216 said:

giant bomb gave this game a 5/5. i trust their opinion much more. no one's expecting a deep, hardcore role playing experience, we just want an awesome south park game and we finally got it.

I think that score is over inflated......

#13 Edited by g0ddyX (3914 posts) -

Solid fun game.

"I'm going down to South Park, Gonna have myself a time."

Sitting at 84 on metacritic.

#14 Posted by BattleSpectre (6128 posts) -

I'M GOING DOWN TO SOUTH PARK. GONNA HAVE MYSELF A TIME!

Everybody now, sing a long!

#15 Posted by bezza2011 (2521 posts) -

didn't like his review, i mean alot of his problems was with the south park humour, i mean this is probably thee best movie/show to game ever made, but it's a good score, i'm not a huge rpg fan anyway so this is great for me, and got to remember this is there first attempt if this does well they may bring another game out in a year or 2 which is triple the game.

#16 Posted by Spartan070 (16351 posts) -

Since the best thing about it is it's humor, and I'm not particularly fond of South Park humor, I'll pass.

#17 Posted by Wild_man_22 (607 posts) -

Seems like a game you play for the writing. Hopefully the game is still engaging or I may not enjoy it as much.

#18 Edited by jg4xchamp (48115 posts) -

@BattleSpectre said:

I'M GOING DOWN TO SOUTH PARK. GONNA HAVE MYSELF A TIME!

Everybody now, sing a long!

friendly faces everywhere, humble folks without temptations

#19 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3572 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

BRB TLOU getting 8, meanwhile it's considered to be the best game of last gen, won the most GOTY's and got 10's everywhere

Still damage controlling, I see.

#22 Edited by StriateEnd (497 posts) -

Sounds like the rpg elements need more depth to it.

#24 Posted by toast_burner (21640 posts) -

The fact that they are charging £40 for it makes it an automatic no buy. That's £10 more than other AAA games on the PC

#25 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27758 posts) -

Having sat up all night playing it and then dragging my butt into work I'd highly recommend it in an instant if you even passing like South Park. If you don't like SP at all I'd pass.

I can see this game having some very mixed reviews depending on the reviewers feelings on the show.

#26 Edited by clone01 (24744 posts) -

@jhonMalcovich said:

Gamespot review, 7/10

IGN review, 9/10

Basically, GS punished the game for not being enough RPG, but humor and story are solid.

I would play it for the story alone. IGN said it´s like an 18-hour South Park movie. Sounds good enough to me.

Any early impressions ?

Same here...respectable score. I love the show. May play it on hard, though, for a little more challenge.

#27 Edited by Snugenz (11888 posts) -

It's an Obsidian game set in the South Park universe, the game getting a 1 here wouldn't stop me from playing it.

#28 Posted by hiphops_savior (7910 posts) -

If you enjoy South Park writing or humour, buy the game. If you are buying the game because it's a RPG, wait for Pillars of Eternity.

#29 Posted by Solid_Max13 (3548 posts) -

Jesus gamespot harsh much? Not RPG enough?? They stated the game was made for people who hadn't played an RPG before and making the mechanics fun, goddamn their harsh these days lol

#30 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

Game is glorious, if you enjoy the show even a little you'll enjoy the game, The game made me lol a lot so far

I also didn't expect the combat to be like that either, people said it was like Paper Mario? I've never played those. But I thought it was like Final Fantasy, just click to atack. But you actually have to press block and attack yourself during different situations. It's pleasantly engaging

If you think it's a deep RPG set in South Park then you will be massively disappointed. It's VERY RPG lite and is more of a nice little adventure. But it's the best you could ever wish for out of a South Park game

#31 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (7788 posts) -

Game is a flop. Too bad.

#32 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Game is a flop. Too bad.

A flop needs a predicted hype score first. Even if you were to base it off sales it's too early for that too

People of new age SW just keep saying stuff is a flop without reason and somehow think 7 is a bad score.

#33 Posted by Snugenz (11888 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

Game is glorious, if you enjoy the show even a little you'll enjoy the game, The game made me lol a lot so far

I also didn't expect the combat to be like that either, people said it was like Paper Mario? I've never played those. But I thought it was like Final Fantasy, just click to atack. But you actually have to press block and attack yourself during different situations. It's pleasantly engaging

If you think it's a deep RPG set in South Park then you will be massively disappointed. It's VERY RPG lite and is more of a nice little adventure. But it's the best you could ever wish for out of a South Park game

Where did you get the game?, considering the EU release is friday...

#34 Edited by coasterguy65 (5964 posts) -

If you are playing this game for it's deep RPG elements you are doing it wrong.

#35 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

@Snugenz said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

Where did you get the game?, considering the EU release is friday...

There are ways and means, not piracy of course

#36 Edited by Mozelleple112 (6665 posts) -

@Crossel777 said:

So many flops lately. 2014, year of the below average.

If you paid attention in class you would have noticed that Gamespot recently moved from a 20-point scale (1-10 with .5 increments) to a pure 10 point scale (1-10 with no increments)

10s are as hard as ever to attain and now 9s will become more seldom too. GS staff seem to be using the lower end of the scale more often now. Look at Knack and Ryse both getting 4/10. Those both would have be 6.0 - 6.5 games on the old scale.

7/10 on the new scale, which is starting to look like a proper scale (see: IMDB list) which is not an average score, but a good score.

#37 Posted by narutosup (1571 posts) -

Have it on steam and already loving it.

#38 Posted by lostrib (36951 posts) -

Sounds like it's a one and done, so I'll get it in when the price drops a bit more

#39 Posted by Ballroompirate (22903 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Game is a flop. Too bad.

A flop needs a predicted hype score first. Even if you were to base it off sales it's too early for that too

People of new age SW just keep saying stuff is a flop without reason and somehow think 7 is a bad score.

Which reminds me, holy hell do we need some fraking Hype threads around here, seriously it's been a good 6 months since the last one I saw.

#40 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

@Ballroompirate said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Game is a flop. Too bad.

Which reminds me, holy hell do we need some fraking Hype threads around here, seriously it's been a good 6 months since the last one I saw.

Yeah people just don't bother anymore

#41 Edited by princeofshapeir (14152 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin: The closest comparison with regards to gameplay is definitely Paper Mario, or the Mario and Luigi RPGs. Turn-based combat and pressing buttons at the right time to attack and defend is a staple of those series. So I don't really understand what more critics want; I couldn't have imagined a South Park RPG any other way, and a dynamic real-time system would have been horrible.

#42 Posted by Ballroompirate (22903 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Game is a flop. Too bad.

Yeah people just don't bother anymore

Frak it I'm gonna change that, this place feels dead w/o them

#43 Edited by kozzy1234 (35263 posts) -

Game is fantastic, agree with Giantbomb and PC Gamer reviews the most so far. Total Biscuit's WTF video was also good to.

Besides a lack of PC settings and some balance issues the game is a blast and great all around. Glad it is getting very good reviews! (85% average). Put 4 hours in already and boy have I laughed alot lol.

This is like Super Mario rpg/Paper Mario rpg's but with Obsidian and Trey/Matt working on a southpark setting. Glorious glorious game so far, I have been laughing non stop and the combat is actually fun, not just press a button and thats it like some JRPGS, actually gotta use timing,etc.. And dat Customization of items I am loving to!

Matt and Trey >>>
Obsidian >>>

#44 Posted by DocSanchez (1600 posts) -

What cool features are on the wii u version? How does it use the gamepad?

#45 Edited by PcGamingRig (7085 posts) -

I trust Kevin-Vs reviews, especially on RPGs. Sadly it is what I thought it was going to be.

More about the jokes than the game, 11 hours is pretty dissapointing.

I wanted it to be funny no doubt, I wwas just hoping it would be a fairly deep game as well.

easy difficulty is a big blow also

#46 Posted by PcGamingRig (7085 posts) -

may buy it when the price goes down.

#47 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

@kozzy1234 said:

Game is fantastic, agree with Giantbomb and PC Gamer reviews the most so far. Total Biscuit's WTF video was also good to.

Besides a lack of PC settings and some balance issues the game is a blast and great all around. Glad it is getting very good reviews! (85% average). Put 4 hours in already and boy have I laughed alot lol.

This is like Super Mario rpg/Paper Mario rpg's but with Obsidian and Trey/Matt working on a southpark setting. Glorious glorious game so far, I have been laughing non stop and the combat is actually fun, not just press a button and thats it like some JRPGS, actually gotta use timing,etc.. And dat Customization of items I am loving to!

Matt and Trey >>>

Obsidian >>>

I think a lot of it boils down to how much you like South Park. If you like it a lot then the writing and general tone will win over your heart and you will forgive gameplay shortcomings.

If you don't really like the show then you will be trying to rely on gameplay to keep you interested and it brings the game down a bit for some

#48 Posted by dommeus (9312 posts) -

@princeofshapeir said:

@seanmcloughlin: The closest comparison with regards to gameplay is definitely Paper Mario, or the Mario and Luigi RPGs. Turn-based combat and pressing buttons at the right time to attack and defend is a staple of those series. So I don't really understand what more critics want; I couldn't have imagined a South Park RPG any other way, and a dynamic real-time system would have been horrible.

Gamespot loves hard/challenging games these days. Except Assassin's Creed, which for some reason gets a pass in regards to difficulty.

#49 Posted by Heil68 (44501 posts) -

Good score, will be playing

#50 Edited by MikeMoose (3075 posts) -

@princessgomez92 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

Still damage controlling, I see.

Not sure if srs...