the similarites of GB/GBC and DS/DSi

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

do you guys consider the Game Boy Color its own stand alone piece of nintendo handheld history, or should it be lumped into the Game Boy category like Nintendo does when reporting sales of GBC?

was it a new console? or merely an extension of the GB brand name, a redesign.

Game Boy Color was a handheld update to the black and white displays of the original GB, putting it more on Par with the NES, it wasn't initially spoke of as a new console, just going to play your old GB games in color! and it would get some cool GBC only games

and then it got alot of GBC only games, which 50-80 million GB owners couldn't play. the GBC doubled the CPU clock speed of GB (4Mhz vs 8mhz), quadrupled the RAM and Video RAM (32kb RAM vs 8kb RAM, 16kb VRAM vs 4kb VRAM) it displayed games in NES color quality, but the resolution of the screen was the exact same as the original Game Boy, that being 160x144

DSi follows a similar pattern, it has exclusive retail games announced, exclusive downloadable games, a plethora of new features like a camera, a re designed UI, bigger screens, improved WiFi only usable in DSi software, a SDHC card slot, web browsing, firmware updates, and others

it too, doubles DS's clock speed, and quadruples the system RAM, albeit having the exact same screen resolution of 256x192

so i ask you, do you look back and remember the Game Boy Color, with its good selection of GBC only games, and its improvements over GB, and see it as a stand alone console in nintendos history? and do you see DSi working out the same way? its easy to say the resolution won't produce better 2d graphics on DSi, but it, combined with the bigger screen should make a good difference with 3D charcaters.

so is GBC its own little handheld, or another GB?

bingbaocao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 bingbaocao
Member since 2009 • 1852 Posts

so i ask you, do you look back and remember the Game Boy Color, with its good selection of GBC only games,

darth-pyschosis

the GBC library? good? hardly

Wolblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Wolblade
Member since 2008 • 986 Posts

[QUOTE="darth-pyschosis"]

so i ask you, do you look back and remember the Game Boy Color, with its good selection of GBC only games,

bingbaocao

The Game Boy Color library had plenty of excellent games.

Yay for The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons/Ages!

bingbaocao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 bingbaocao

[QUOTE="bingbaocao"]

Wolblade

The Game Boy Color library had plenty of excellent games.

Yay for The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons/Ages!

the legend of zelda games and metal gear solid are the only ones i can think off other then that it was either regular gameboy games in color (which i had already played most of them) or pokemon.... and i hate pokemon
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 darth-pyschosis

bingbaocao

while it didn't have as many games made for it as GB (GBC had 626) stuff like Oracle of Ages, Oracle of Seasons, Metal Gear Solid, Pokemon Crystal, R=Type, Rayman 2, Wario Land 2 & 3 don't scream terrible to me

bingbaocao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bingbaocao

[QUOTE="bingbaocao"]

darth-pyschosis

while it didn't have as many games made for it as GB (GBC had 626) stuff like Oracle of Ages, Oracle of Seasons, Metal Gear Solid, Pokemon Crystal, R=Type, Rayman 2, Wario Land 2 & 3 don't scream terrible to me

i never played rayman, but you could play R-type and wario land 2 on your regular gameboy color, other then the legend of zelda games and MGS to it always seemed like the Gameboy color was only good for pokemon games

Wolblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Wolblade

[QUOTE="bingbaocao"]

bingbaocao

i never played rayman, but you could play R-type and Rayman on your regular gameboy color, other then the legend of zelda games and MGS to it always seemed like the Gameboy color was only good for pokemon games

Well, it's all up to preference. I, myself, am a Pokemon Fanatic, so I love the Game Boy. :D

darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 darth-pyschosis

point is, was GBC a new separate console from GB?

and how does it compare in respect of being a new or not new console to th DSi?

nintendo says GBC isn't replacing, GB, Nintendo says DS isn't replacing GBA, they've done this before. so is GBC its own console?

bingbaocao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bingbaocao

nintendo says GBC isn't replacing, GB, Nintendo says DS isn't replacing GBA, they've done this before. so is GBC its own console?

darth-pyschosis
i'm not informed on the DS/DSI subject, but yes, the GBC was different console, support for the regular gameboy died over night once the GBC was out
Wolblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Wolblade

To answer your question, it probably won't have that much effect on the DS market. Sure, it's more powerful and certain games WILL use that, but with an already established DS market, it wouldn't be wise to ignore them, either. When the GBC came out, games made for it did come out, but only more came out once it was certain that a certain amount of the handheld had be sold. It probably won't faze out the DS/DS Lite as that market is far stronger than the original Game Boy market, and adding color was a really big thing at the time. While the DSi offers many new things, I don't think it'll be enough for some to go out and get the new DSi when it can play most DS games.

Technically, it's a DS, so it isn't a "new" handheld by those standards. It is, however, a new incarnation of an already established handheld. The DS's successor, whatever that may be, will be a "new" handheld as it will possibly use a different storage medium, have even more graphical improvements, etc. I hope what I am saying makes sense.

darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 darth-pyschosis

bingbaocao

i'm not informed on the DS/DSI subject, but yes, the GBC was different console, support for the regular gameboy died over night once the GBC was out

yea, thats cool. thanks. my point is ppl don't think nintendo is prepping the DSi to be a new console, i think they are i get laughed at for it

ppl think just because nintendo tells you something its the way it will be

the DS/DSi improvements parallel the GB/GBC improvements almost exactly, and DSi has much more improvements

i don't know how ppl say DSi isn't a new console, it plays two different types of games that can't be played on a DS, and introduces many new features, one being a new way to play games, with a camera, potentially adding motion control-esque controls to DSi only games

i can understand ppl not liking the way this new DS was made, i understand ppl wishing it would have PSP hardware, but there are very good improvements, ppl treat it like a DS without GBA slot, when it may be meant to be a DSi with a DS slot.

like i've said, it may not be a new console but ppl are ignoring my very reasonable theories on how, or why it may be. like the similarities of GBC.

darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 darth-pyschosis

To answer your question, it probably won't have that much effect on the DS market. Sure, it's more powerful and certain games WILL use that, but with an already established DS market, it wouldn't be wise to ignore them, either. When the GBC came out, games made for it did come out, but only more came out once it was certain that a certain amount of the handheld had be sold. It probably won't faze out the DS/DS Lite as that market is far stronger than the original Game Boy market, and adding color was a really big thing at the time. While the DSi offers many new things, I don't think it'll be enough for some to go out and get the new DSi when it can play most DS games.

Technically, it's a DS, so it isn't a "new" handheld by those standards. It is, however, a new incarnation of an already established handheld. The DS's successor, whatever that may be, will be a "new" handheld as it will possibly use a different storage medium, have even more graphical improvements, etc. I hope what I am saying makes sense.

Wolblade

thats cool but more questions

if nintendo ignored 50 million GB owners to suppor alot more GBC only content, and ignored the 60 million GBA owners to support DS, why won't they ignore te 100 million DS owners to support DSi? i mean why even bring out the DSi at all, they could keep pushing DS lite.

i have no doubt DSi will sell like mad, i predict at least 10-12 million worldwide by end of thi syear

example: its the most pre ordered console in recent history, in north america. midnight opening across the continent. in japan it trounces DS lite sales weekly, nintendo has even discontinued certain DS lite colors, just this week, a lazy normal no frills no special shopping week in japan DSi outsold DS lite 57,000 to 8,000

it outsells lite 7 to 1 in japan on a regular basis, so i expect it to do quite well everywhere else

but thank you for making a nice reply. yes i understood it.

Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts

Its a new console. If it plays exclusive games that how is that not a new console?

darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 darth-pyschosis

Its a new console. If it plays exclusive games that how is that not a new console?

Ragnarok1051

well some people don't understand that. i think the very same

its nice, i know you really love your PSP and we've argued from separate sides of the handheld console wars so i appreciate you posting something very, well logical without bashing anything. very mature, something SW doesn't always have.

Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts

[QUOTE="Ragnarok1051"]

darth-pyschosis

its nice, i know you really love your PSP and we've argued from separate sides of the handheld console wars so i appreciate you posting something very, well logical without bashing anything. very mature, something SW doesn't always have.

I love my PSP, but don't get me wrong I love my DSL as well. I hate that the DSi is going to release and the support will soon follow it and leave us DSL owners in the dark.
kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 kardine
Member since 2008 • 2863 Posts

Saying that any Nintnedo handheld, other than VB, had a bad lineup shows you have no idea what you are talking about.

darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 darth-pyschosis

[QUOTE="Ragnarok1051"]

Ragnarok1051

I love my PSP, but don't get me wrong I love my DSL as well. I hate that the DSi is going to release and the support will soon follow it and leave us DSL owners in the dark.

very fair point. no one likes to see that they have to buy somethng new, you just gotta wait until its at a tippiing point, and you can't live without the content that platform only offers, hopefully the DSi one day does that to you, but there's nothing wrong if it never does

additionally, to the last poster, wouldn't the VB be more off a face-held? JK

Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts
Personally I can see the DSi getting more hardcore support, with more Bejewelled style games going to the Lite.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

These handheld threads are getting out of control, I think it's all the same poster.

Maybe they are similar, maybe they aren't, until the DSi has substantial software, we don't know.

We do know that 5 year old Handheld tech is being overcharged to the consumers, $170?

Nintendough.

That's just full of lulz.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I love my PSP, but don't get me wrong I love my DSL as well. I hate that the DSi is going to release and the support will soon follow it and leave us DSL owners in the dark.Ragnarok1051

Don't worry, that scenario WILL NEVER happen, ever.

darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 darth-pyschosis

[QUOTE="Ragnarok1051"]I love my PSP, but don't get me wrong I love my DSL as well. I hate that the DSi is going to release and the support will soon follow it and leave us DSL owners in the dark.SolidTy

it has already begun

Nintendo is bringing out enhanced and better game cards that will only play on DSi, to be sold at stores, let alone good DSiware games like Aquia, Dr Mario, Mixed Messages, Hactolife, Mr Driller

Additionally, Rockstar and Nintendo have chaged their marketing, DS games now hav DSi logos in their ads separate from the normal DS logo

GTAs commercial goes out of its way to say plays on Nintendo DSi and Nintendo DS

the Rhtymn Heaven ads don't even mention DS, just DSi

so its happening, it may take a while, and who knows if it will ever take off, but it is happening

doobie1975

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 doobie1975
Member since 2003 • 2806 Posts

their all itterations. like ipods

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18042 Posts

The GBC brought something new and fresh to the Gameboy line: Color

The DSi isn't doing anything as big as that, what a DS Store? Yeah ok that's good but the PSP has had the Playstation Store for almost a year now so I'm not considering it new but certainly much needed. The camera? Please no.

I always considered the Gameboy Color to be the third pillar in the original Gameboy Line and arguably the best. The DSi is pretty much the same but then again today isn't yesterday and we wouldn't own a DSi over a DS Lite for the same kind of reasons that we would own a Gameboy Color over a Gameboy Pocket.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lebanese_boy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="Ragnarok1051"]I love my PSP, but don't get me wrong I love my DSL as well. I hate that the DSi is going to release and the support will soon follow it and leave us DSL owners in the dark.darth-pyschosis

it has already begun

Nintendo is bringing out enhanced and better game cards that will only play on DSi, to be sold at stores, let alone good DSiware games like Aquia, Dr Mario, Mixed Messages, Hactolife, Mr Driller

Additionally, Rockstar and Nintendo have chaged their marketing, DS games now hav DSi logos in their ads separate from the normal DS logo

GTAs commercial goes out of its way to say plays on Nintendo DSi and Nintendo DS

so its happening, it may take a while, and who knows if it will ever take off, but it is happening

I want to be honest and say I think it won't take off, I really don't want to bash the console but when the userbase of the DS/ Lite is about 100 million and the DSi's is of a couple of hundred of thousands, it's safe to say that Nintendo (or anyone else) wouldn't be making a smart decision to support the DSi exclusively at the risk of losing interest from their 100 million other users. Not happening in 2009 and I sense it won't either in 2010. I would buy it only when something worthwhile comes out and I'm most certainly not paying 200$ for it, the same price as a PSP.
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 darth-pyschosis

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

lebanese_boy

it has already begun

I want to be honest and say I think it won't take off, I really don't want to bash the console but when the userbase of the DS/ Lite is about 100 million and the DSi's is of a couple of hundred of thousands, it's safe to say that Nintendo (or anyone else) wouldn't be making a smart decision to support the DSi exclusively at the risk of losing interest from their 100 million other users. Not happening in 2009 and I sense it won't either in 2010. I would buy it only when something worthwhile comes out and I'm most certainly not paying 200$ for it, the same price as a PSP.

1. you make very good points

2. Nintendo already alienated the 50-70 million GB owners by making GBC games, alienated the GBA 60 million owners by dropping it for DS, it could happen again, i mean what more can they honestly get out of the lite? but we don't know any of this yet

3. its over 2 million in japan, in four months, likely 300k-700k launches for EU and NA so not the thousands you're speaking of and also its $169.99, not $200

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 lebanese_boy

[QUOTE="lebanese_boy"][QUOTE="darth-pyschosis"]

it has already begun

darth-pyschosis

1. you make very good points

2. Nintendo already alienated the 50-70 million GB owners by making GBC games, alienated the GBA 60 million owners by dropping it for DS, it could happen again, i mean what more can they honestly get out of the lite? but we don't know any of this yet

3. its over 2 million in japan, in four months, likely 300k-700k launches for EU and NA so not the thousands you're speaking of and also its $169.99, not $200

You're kind-of right about #2 but you're forgetting that back then there was practically no competition for Nintendo in handhelds. Now Nintendo can't afford mistakes since the PSP is right behind the DS (I know it's 50 million behind it but still it sells) and because of that they can't afford to make the stupidest of all mistakes which is to make their 100 milion DS Lite users lose interest because a new and more expensive version of the DS is taking it's place with exclusive software. Also I live in Canada and it's 199.99$ here, same as PSP. And that, for a DS, is a total rip-off.
Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
The difference: The GBC was a completely new system. The DSi is just another version of the DS.
DealRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DealRogers
Member since 2005 • 4589 Posts

Black and white to color >>>> A camera add on.

ewok9312

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ewok9312
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

The gbc was like 80 bucks and added color and the dsi is 180 with marginal upgrades

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lebanese_boy
The difference: The GBC was a completely new system. The DSi is just another version of the DS.IronBass
How was the GBC a ''completely new'' system? The GBA was a completely new system but the GBC was a Gameboy pocket with color and a better screen technology. Ok there were slight technical upgrades but really nothing that would make a new system out of the original GB trio.