Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

KotaKu

========================

The sequel to Shadow of Mordor is called Shadow of War. Warner Bros. hasn’t quite announced this yet, but Target spilled the news early (lol) along with the box art and some info (via NeoGAF).

From what I’ve heard, the story will be based on Talion and Celebrimbor (the two protagonists from Shadow of Mordor) working to forge a new ring that’s as powerful as Sauron’s. The Nemesis system is back, obviously, and there are new stronghold mechanics, new special abilities, and all that jazz.

More info to come whenever it’s officially announced. For now, let’s again laugh at Target.

======================================

Middle Earth: Shadow of War
Go behind enemy lines to forge your army, conquer Fortresses and dominate Mordor from within. Experience how the award winning Nemesis System creates unique personal stories with every enemy and follower, and confront the full power of the Dark Lord Sauron and his Ringwraiths in this epic new story of Middle-earth.
In Middle-earth: Shadow of War, nothing will be forgotten.
Middle Earth: Shadow of War Gold Edition
Gold Edition includes:
• Slaughter Tribe Nemesis Expansion
• Outlaw Tribe Nemesis Expansion
• The Blade of Galadriel Story Expansion
• The Desolation of Mordor Story Expansion
• Gold War Chest
• Over $125 in total value
Nemesis Expansions include a new Orc Tribe featuring new enemies, followers, missions, abilities, weapons, Fortress and wilderness updates, and a Mythic Gear Set.
Story Expansions introduce a new campaign, playable character & abilities, side missions, enemies, allies & more
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Horrible title.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#3 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24915 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

Horrible title.

horrible name absolutely. war is most generic word in gaming.

beide first one was not so good.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
@the_master_race said:
From what I’ve heard, the story will be based on Talion and Celebrimbor (the two protagonists from Shadow of Mordor) working to forge a new ring that’s as powerful as Sauron’s.

"One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them." There is no ring that has ever been, nor ever will be as powerful as Sauron's.

Sometimes I wonder what kind of writers these game companies hire to make the stories.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#5  Edited By aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

The name is stupid, but Im glad to see they are doing a sequel. All they really have to do is populate the world more and make it harder

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14893 Posts

In Mordor again?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#7  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@the_master_race said:

The story will be based on Talion and Celebrimbor (the two protagonists from Shadow of Mordor) working to forge a new ring that’s as powerful as Sauron’s.

This offends me more than I can say.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46243 Posts

Knew they were gonna do a sequel.

But great news anyway. Let's hope the world is more interesting to explore, and we have more fun stuff to do this time.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@freedomfreak said:

Horrible title.

horrible name absolutely. war is most generic word in gaming.

beide first one was not so good.

Actually liked the first games. Lot of people did. http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor

Hopefully the sequel will be better. Title isn't great, but what can you do?

Pittfan666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#10 Pittfan666
Member since 2003 • 8638 Posts

First game was good but man the end game was garbage. Also got really repetitive.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#11 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24915 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

But great news anyway. Let's hope the world is more interesting to explore, and we have more fun stuff to do this time.

when are we getting Metro sequel? thats what i have been waiting for day and night..

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@ghosts4ever said:

when are we getting Metro sequel? thats what i have been waiting for day and night..

Sure, and a new wolfenstein :P

nathanbats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#13 nathanbats
Member since 2016 • 1057 Posts

That means it's probably what's going to be revealed on march 8....I was hoping it would be Batman.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By the_master_race
@charizard1605 said:
@the_master_race said:

The story will be based on Talion and Celebrimbor (the two protagonists from Shadow of Mordor) working to forge a new ring that’s as powerful as Sauron’s.

This offends me more than I can say.

@foxhound_fox said:
@the_master_race said:
From what I’ve heard, the story will be based on Talion and Celebrimbor (the two protagonists from Shadow of Mordor) working to forge a new ring that’s as powerful as Sauron’s.

"One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them." There is no ring that has ever been, nor ever will be as powerful as Sauron's.

Sometimes I wonder what kind of writers these game companies hire to make the stories.

Yeah , Idk why they don't make a game about Strider's adventures

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 foxhound_fox

@the_master_race said:

That would just make too much sense.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

It's a "systemic game" and all that, which translates to "don't give a f* about the story". Just need some framing thing that they can use to lead you through some tutorial heavy stuff to teach you killing orcs and managing the nemesis system. Then they let you loose to do systemic stuff and upgrade/level up until you don't wanna play anymore.

Not saying I like this design philosophy, but it is what it is. Can be ok.

Hope for some more fun locations, but I guess the nemesis system wouldn't make much sense in the Shire. Hopefully there's a least some friendly camp or something you can visit and much more striking locations. World in 1 was dull.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58904 Posts

Looks like a happy game JRR Tolkien would have endorsed.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

epic game is epic what a title give that guy a raise SHADOW OF WAR BABY oh yeaaah

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 Liquid_
Member since 2003 • 3832 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Sure, and a new wolfenstein :P

https://www.vg247.com/2017/02/13/fucking-bananas-wolfenstein-devs-new-game-either-over-the-top-or-some-sort-of-fruit-love-sim/

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56080 Posts

I hope they can build a more interesting worlds this time. That was my only gripe with the first game but other then that, Shadow of Mordor was my favorite Lord of the Rings game I enjoy on PS4.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 R4gn4r0k

@Liquid_ said:

https://www.vg247.com/2017/02/13/fucking-bananas-wolfenstein-devs-new-game-either-over-the-top-or-some-sort-of-fruit-love-sim/

Machine games nailed the shooting in their two last games. I definitely want to see them do a new FPS.

But if it's something else, oh well I'm looking forward to their new game either way.

DrRollinstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DrRollinstein
Member since 2016 • 1163 Posts

Oh this is interesting. Wasnt even expecting a sequel. I've beaten shadows of mordor twice and enjoyed it both times.

And i'm fine with them taking some liberties story wise. No need for me to be triggered like other LOTR fans before the game is out.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9727 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:
@the_master_race said:

That would just make too much sense.

Yes, that makes a lot of sense.

@foxhound_fox said:
@the_master_race said:

Ugh, no ring is as powerful as Sauron's. The writers messed up on that one.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 foxhound_fox

@GameboyTroy said:

It's written on the friggen' ring, and repeated ad nauseum throughout the Lord of the Rings books and movies. This isn't just poor writing, this is complete disregard for the source material. It's pretty much head-canon/fan-fiction level work.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#26  Edited By with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I wish Monolith would make something else. Shadow of Mordor was pretty average

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GameboyTroy

@foxhound_fox said:
@GameboyTroy said:

It's written on the friggen' ring, and repeated ad nauseum throughout the Lord of the Rings books and movies. This isn't just poor writing, this is complete disregard for the source material. It's pretty much head-canon/fan-fiction level work.

Them writing this for the game on purpose makes things worse.

The_Stand_In

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 The_Stand_In
Member since 2010 • 1179 Posts
@foxhound_fox said:
@the_master_race said:

Even in LOTR lore, Celebrimbor was the one who forged the rings of power, not Sauron. Sauron basically ripped off Celebrimbor's work to make the one ring in secret.

I'm not defending this saying it's good story telling or anything, but it's not THAT far fetched for Celebribor, using Talion as a vessel, to ATTEMPT to make another ring of power equal to that of Sauron's.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 foxhound_fox

@The_Stand_In said:

Even in LOTR lore, Celebrimbor was the one who forged the rings of power, not Sauron. Sauron basically ripped off Celebrimbor's work to make the one ring in secret.

I'm not defending this saying it's good story telling or anything, but it's not THAT far fetched for Celebribor, using Talion as a vessel, to ATTEMPT to make another ring of power equal to that of Sauron's.

Yes, but Sauron infused his ring with his power, something Celebrimbor doesn't have access to. It just seems really lazy to me, and falls outside of the lore continuity.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#30 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts
@foxhound_fox said:
@the_master_race said:

Especially considering this is before LOTR, where there, as a matter of fact, no ring that can counter Suaron's essentially making this entire story, that has not even been finished most likely, pointless.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts
@foxhound_fox said:

Not canon anyway. They can bastardize the lore as much as they want. I would have liked if they respected it more but meh a game so I don't care all that much.

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By PutASpongeOn
Member since 2014 • 4897 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:
@the_master_race said:

You don't know the first thing about the world of middle earth then. Sauron is overall pretty much a demi god and only second fiddle to the true dark lord Morgoth, who is essentially the strongest god under the almighty one who pretty much became the lucifer of it all. Morgoth was the one who corrupted little Sauron to do the things.

While Sauron focused his power into the ring, Morgoth put his into corrupting middle earth in general.

All it'd take to create a ring is to pretty much take any god figure or even decent balrog (as they are relatively on the same level depending on who you compare, the one gandalf (who's actually akin to an angel like the other wizards) defeated was a weaker one) to focus their might into one ring and they are fine.

Sauron is literally just a trickster god, his combat levels relative to the other gods is low.

Sauron is ultimately irrelevant to the overall scheme of things. Morgoth was the first evil and he is destined to come back and end middle earth at the end times. I believe he's currently trapped in the dark void or whatever they call it, ie where nothing exists.

It's unlikely that the gods would care enough, but your comment is smug despite you saying something objectively wrong.

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PutASpongeOn

@foxhound_fox said:
@The_Stand_In said:

Yes, but Sauron infused his ring with his power, something Celebrimbor doesn't have access to. It just seems really lazy to me, and falls outside of the lore continuity.

You just need a powerful source of power, I mean Sauron compared to the gods is pretty scrub.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#34 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14893 Posts

@hillelslovak: They are going to fail anyway.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#35  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58904 Posts

Most people playing this game wouldn't have read the book, They not give shit.

Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts

@uninspiredcup: yep and I haven't watch any movies either.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22662 Posts

Psyched for this sequel. Easily one of the best new IP's this generation. Bring on nemesis 2.0!

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GameboyTroy

@Zensword said:

@uninspiredcup: yep and I haven't watch any movies either.

You can try the movies if you want. They can be long movies.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Bummer that the Nemesis system is going to be wasted yet again on Lord of the rings.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

I liked the first game, but understand where some critics of it come from regarding how limited in content it was and how cookie cutter it was. Sometimes I look at first entries as things to build upon, so the idea of a sequel has me excited if they can improve upon it.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

Never even played the first one. I kind of want to but apparently deep inside I don't really care since whenever it goes on sale I never nab it.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#42  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@TheEroica said:

best new IP's

It's lord of the fucking rings (not even a good adaptation either).

Outside of one mechanic, the rest of its mechanics are ripped whole sale from Buttman and Asscreed.

Shit only comes off fresh because it's the tallest midget in a sea of been there, done that.

the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By the_master_race
@putaspongeon said:
@foxhound_fox said:
@the_master_race said:

You don't know the first thing about the world of middle earth then. Sauron is overall pretty much a demi god and only second fiddle to the true dark lord Morgoth, who is essentially the strongest god under the almighty one who pretty much became the lucifer of it all. Morgoth was the one who corrupted little Sauron to do the things.

While Sauron focused his power into the ring, Morgoth put his into corrupting middle earth in general.

All it'd take to create a ring is to pretty much take any god figure or even decent balrog (as they are relatively on the same level depending on who you compare, the one gandalf (who's actually akin to an angel like the other wizards) defeated was a weaker one) to focus their might into one ring and they are fine.

Sauron is literally just a trickster god, his combat levels relative to the other gods is low.

Sauron is ultimately irrelevant to the overall scheme of things. Morgoth was the first evil and he is destined to come back and end middle earth at the end times. I believe he's currently trapped in the dark void or whatever they call it, ie where nothing exists.

It's unlikely that the gods would care enough, but your comment is smug despite you saying something objectively wrong.

why are you talking about the first Age ? plus Morgorth didn't make a goddamn ring , he only corrupted Arda and he's a little bitch compared to Eru

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34601 Posts

I probably couldn't come up with a more boring title myself.

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts

Well it never actually said that the new ring will be more powerful or even as powerful. We don't know that if they even manage to make a ring. If we are to go by LOTR FOTR, they obviously failed.

I'm looking forward to it, the first game has stellar production values and good foundations, they just need to work on fleshing it more.

But yeah, the title is a sure winner and a champion. One can only imagine the list of potential titles they must've had before settling for this one.

@foxhound_fox said:
@the_master_race said:

Save

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#46  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17805 Posts

If it is as lame as the first game, I have no interest in playing it. If they make it a full blown action/adventure game with decent quests and world to explore, then I will consider it.

darklight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 darklight4
Member since 2009 • 2094 Posts

What would be a better title "Shadow of the ring" we know that joke will lead down a dark passage.

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By PutASpongeOn

@the_master_race said:
@putaspongeon said:
@foxhound_fox said:
@the_master_race said:

why are you talking about the first Age ? plus Morgorth didn't make a goddamn ring , he only corrupted Arda and he's a little bitch compared to Eru

I'm saying that any god putting their power into a ring would be stronger than Sauron's.

Everyone is weaker than Eru, Morgoth is the second strongest being in the multiverse more or less outside of maybe Ungoliant given the circumstances.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#49  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Was hoping for Shadow of Darkness. But Shadow of War is just as bad a name. XD
I hope they add some elements to the gameplay to make it feel like more of a full game. Maybe something other than fighting? Not sure. The combat/chain of command part was great, though.

the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By the_master_race
@putaspongeon said:
@the_master_race said:
@putaspongeon said:
@foxhound_fox said:

I'm saying that any god putting their power into a ring would be stronger than Sauron's.

Everyone is weaker than Eru, Morgoth is the second strongest being in the multiverse more or less outside of maybe Ungoliant given the circumstances.

Yes , maybe Melkor could've made his own Ring but he didn't ? even Jewels of Fëanor don't have the power of One Ring , Sauron is not the most powerful character of Silmarillion but he was so cunning and malevolent