The Ratchet and Clank Full Frontal Assault beta is SOOO GOOD

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by IcyFlamez96 (1355 posts) -

Ok so I was not expecting much from it at all but being a big Ratchet and Clank fan I still wanted to try this out so I signed up for the beta. Im so glad I did, its really fun. Now I didnt like All 4 One or the artstlye change and this game has the same artstyle as A4O but the traditional camera from most R&C games. Now im not really too fond of the artstlye (Mostly because it makes the characters look stupid imo) but the environments look pretty dang vibrant. I prefer the artstyle from Crack in Time/Tools of Destruction more but this still looks good.

Anyway, I know a lot of people were put off by it being a "Tower Defense" game and I was too. Mostly because I thought it was going to be a full out strategy game but yeah. Im sure most of you havent played Up Your Arsenal's multiplayer but Its just like Siege in UYA only more advanced.

Ok I will kind of explain how the game works.

Both teams have their own base with 6 generators in it. There are 3 stages of the match. Recon Phase, Squad Phase, and Assualt Phase.

Recon Phase:

There are seven different mini-bases called "Nodes" around the map and they all have their defenses that you have to destroy in order to capture them. After you destroy the turrets and stuff you do this very simple little minigame thing to capture the nodes. Once you capture it then new defenses pop up and they only attack the other team. You can also spend bolts to buy more defenses for the node, or put up a barrier. During this time the other team cannot enter the opposing team's base to destroy it.

The more nodes your team controlls, the more bolts you get over time and you use those to buy defenses and attack forces. Both teams start off with one weapon (The Combuster) but each node you capture gives you a selection of a certain set of weapons and you can choose one per node, both teams usually end up obtaining all of the weapons. there are about ten of them and once you get it you always respawn with it in your quickselect. Oh and you can level up your weapond during the match by gaining EXP by killing enemies and defenses but it takes a while. Most games I play dont last long enough to upgrade weapons.

(Blue Team invading Red Team's base)

Squad Phase:

During this brief time you can teleport back to your base. (well you always have the option to teleport back to your base to restock on stuff, you do it by holding down "down" on the D-Pad for like 5 seconds. You can get ammo crates around the map too but you cant get health anywhere but at your base.) Once you get there you can set up defenses and set up attack forces with using bolts to buy them. You cant capture any nodes during this time.

There are two entrances to your opponent's base and you can set up what side you want a certain attack squad to invade or what order you want them to invade in.

(Cant really find anymore multiplayer screenshots :/)

Assualt Phase:

This is the phase where the attack forces attack the bases and you can either stay and defend or go out and attack your opponent's base personally, while hoping your defenses take care of things. The Assualt Phase does not end until all the attack forces are destroyed and until all of the opponents are out of their enemy's bases. And yeah it keeps cycling until all of the generators in one team's base is destroyed.

Pretty dang creative for a game like this if you ask me. Its really fun.

If you actaully read this (Whoo-Hooo for you :P )

If you are a Ratchet and Clank fan I highly suggest you try this out.

Honestly when I played my first couple of matches I didnt know what I was doing so I found it kind of boring. Then like my 4th match I figured out how to play and had fun with it but I got a little bored aftter like the 8th match but then I just started having sooo much fun with it. PSN-ers here this is a game to look out for. And this is not just multiplayer either if you didnt know.

Sorry for any typos I may have.

#2 Posted by platniumgamer (4087 posts) -

how can it be good if it's only on ps3?

#3 Posted by IcyFlamez96 (1355 posts) -

how can it be good if it's only on ps3?

platniumgamer
Well its Vita too :P Although I dont care about Vita...
#4 Posted by Blazerdt47 (5661 posts) -

Is it too late to get into the beta?!! I love Ratchet & Clank, I need this!

#5 Posted by Gue1 (9350 posts) -

I really have no idea what this game is. Are there any gameplay vids on youtube? Is this for Vita or PS3? And when the hell was this game announced anyway? It's from Insomniac or it is being developed by another 3rd rate developer like that last Resistance game on Vita?

#6 Posted by IcyFlamez96 (1355 posts) -

I really have no idea what his game is. Are there any gameplay vids on youtube? Is this for Vita or PS3?

Gue1
Its Vita and PS3. I havent seen any gameplay vids but there is a story mode trailer but I've only played the multiplayer part.
#7 Posted by IcyFlamez96 (1355 posts) -

Blazerdt47
You can sign up at Insomniac's website. Not a BUNCH of people signed up because they really kept it on the down low but they said they were only giving out a handful of codes. You can still try I think they are still giving them out.
#8 Posted by bbkkristian (14888 posts) -
going to play it tomorrow.
#9 Posted by vashkey (33710 posts) -
Theres another Ratchet and Clank coming?
#10 Posted by vashkey (33710 posts) -
[QUOTE="Blazerdt47"]

IcyFlamez96
You can sign up at Insomniac's website. Not a BUNCH of people signed up because they really kept it on the down low but they said they were only giving out a handful of codes. You can still try I think they are still giving them out.

Wait... What? I thought Insomniac was leaving Ratchet and making a new multiplat game with EA
#11 Posted by bbkkristian (14888 posts) -
Theres another Ratchet and Clank coming?vashkey
There's always a Ratchet and Clank being made.
#12 Posted by Blake135 (3994 posts) -

Dam if the Vita version is just as good as the PS3 version then I might get it, looks pretty cool.

#13 Posted by IcyFlamez96 (1355 posts) -
[QUOTE="IcyFlamez96"][QUOTE="Blazerdt47"]

vashkey

Wait... What? I thought Insomniac was leaving Ratchet and making a new multiplat game with EA

Where'd you get that from? Insomniac said after Crack in Time was released that they arent planning on leaving Ratchet any time soon since they feel they have a lot of things they could do with him.... Or something like that. It seems like when it comes to Insomniac and Ratchet and Clank people really dont know their stuff. IGN put in a video that All 4 One was not made by insomniac and there are still people who think Insomniac made Size Matters and Secret agent clank :/ Not attacking you though lol
#14 Posted by dercoo (12555 posts) -

[QUOTE="IcyFlamez96"][QUOTE="Blazerdt47"]

vashkey

Insomniac is a huge developer now.

Their original location has enough staff to do 2 full retail games at once.

Then they also have their new NC division.

#15 Posted by IcyFlamez96 (1355 posts) -

Dam if the Vita version is just as good as the PS3 version then I might get it, looks pretty cool.

Blake135
Yup you can crossplay with the Vita and PS3.... and I think if you get it on PS3 you get the Vita download free... I think. Maybe I should go and check but im too lazy atm.
#16 Posted by vashkey (33710 posts) -
[QUOTE="IcyFlamez96"][QUOTE="vashkey"][QUOTE="IcyFlamez96"] You can sign up at Insomniac's website. Not a BUNCH of people signed up because they really kept it on the down low but they said they were only giving out a handful of codes. You can still try I think they are still giving them out.

Where'd you get that from? Insomniac said after Crack in Time was released that they arent planning on leaving Ratchet any time soon since they feel they have a lot of things they could do with him.... Or something like that. It seems like when it comes to Insomniac and Ratchet and Clank people really dont know their stuff. IGN put in a video that All 4 One was not made by insomniac and there are still people who think Insomniac made Size Matters and Secret agent clank :/ Not attacking you though lol

No, that's fine. I don't keep up with em.
#17 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11467 posts) -

Where do I sign up on the website for the beta?

#18 Posted by IcyFlamez96 (1355 posts) -

Where do I sign up on the website for the beta?

PhazonBlazer
http://www.insomniacgames.com/community/showthread.php?48830-Want-to-join-the-FFA-Beta
#20 Posted by arto1223 (4404 posts) -

Theres another Ratchet and Clank coming?vashkey

Seriously... This is the first time I've heard of it, and glad to be hearing of it. I love the R&C franchise. I wanna see some gameplay.

#21 Posted by _Cadbury_ (2936 posts) -
Ew NA only. Oh well. It's encouraging to here this is turning out well. I was just thinking I might be giving it a miss like I did with All4One
#22 Posted by AmayaPapaya (9011 posts) -

I played the tutorial. I didn't really feel it. I'll play competitive tomorrow though.

#23 Posted by RR360DD (11496 posts) -
Sounds pretty cool but if I get it, it'll be for the single player. I still need to get back to Crack in time.
#24 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10124 posts) -
I love the series, but if this game is ANYTHING like that pile of steaming dog $hit that A4O was, I'm done with the series. However, if this is good, then my faith will be restored.
#25 Posted by GoogleMeBaby (7 posts) -

I played the tutorial. I didn't really feel it. I'll play competitive tomorrow though.

AmayaPapaya
Yeah this topic reminded me that I had a beta code lol. So played the tutorial last night and I was thinking It was kind of cool I guess but I didnt really feel it either. I was up for a while so I managed to get like 4 or 5 games in and once I figured ou what I was doing, it was a blast.
#26 Posted by deu5ka175 (436 posts) -

Meh. Series has grown stale.

#27 Posted by Heil68 (43158 posts) -
Of course it is. thank you Sony.
#28 Posted by BloodDamage (55 posts) -

deu5ka175
Why? Just because of All 4 One. That one sucked but its just one game and they wanted to try something different. They are going to go back to making a regular R&C game after this one if you dont like it because of the changes they are making. If you didnt like Crack in Time for whatever reason well then I dont know what to tell you lol. I thought that game was amazing. Ive been playing this beta for a couple days and I went in skeptical but it is pretty dang fun. Have an open mind.
#29 Posted by deu5ka175 (436 posts) -
[QUOTE="deu5ka175"]

BloodDamage
Why? Just because of All 4 One. That one sucked but its just one game and they wanted to try something different. They are going to go back to making a regular R&C game after this one if you dont like it because of the changes they are making. If you didnt like Crack in Time for whatever reason well then I dont know what to tell you lol. I thought that game was amazing. Ive been playing this beta for a couple days and I went in skeptical but it is pretty dang fun. Have an open mind.

No....I have not been able to finish one without growing bored. I did like Future Tools of Destruction. But I do not like Insomniac's humor. I also hate Clank. Insomniac is too good of a developer to keep pushing out R&C games. I actually though Resistance 3 was a nice surprise (single player). I would of rather got another one of those then an 8th (?) R&C game.
#30 Posted by BloodDamage (55 posts) -
[QUOTE="BloodDamage"][QUOTE="deu5ka175"]

deu5ka175

No....I have not been able to finish one without growing bored. I did like Future Tools of Destruction. But I do not like Insomniac's humor. I also hate Clank. Insomniac is too good of a developer to keep pushing out R&C games. I actually though Resistance 3 was a nice surprise (single player). I would of rather got another one of those then an 8th (?) R&C game.

Oh.... You're kind of in the minority then lol.
#31 Posted by danish-death (5314 posts) -
Looking forward to playing this on my Vita. When's the release date?
#32 Posted by finalstar2007 (24880 posts) -

Blake135

Dude you dont even need to worry, just buy the PS3 version and you'll get the Vita one for Free but remmber BUY the PS3 version first to get the other for free and not the other way around.

CANT WAIT for this game, im a huge RnC fan

#33 Posted by finalstar2007 (24880 posts) -

I JUST GOT ACCEPTED! thought i would go check my email and woho i got in the beta :D

#34 Posted by Stringerboy (6922 posts) -

Eh, I'm bored of Ratchet and Clank now. I used to love it back on the ps2 but it's been milked to death and it's starting to get stale.

#35 Posted by IcyFlamez96 (1355 posts) -
Looking forward to playing this on my Vita. When's the release date?danish-death
Sometime this year, im not sure when though.

I JUST GOT ACCEPTED! thought i would go check my email and woho i got in the beta :D

finalstar2007
You better hope you dont play me > : }
#36 Posted by finalstar2007 (24880 posts) -

[QUOTE="danish-death"]Looking forward to playing this on my Vita. When's the release date?IcyFlamez96
Sometime this year, im not sure when though.

finalstar2007

lol

its online correct? looking forward to trying it out, i been playing All for One lately, been trying to platinum it ( i need the 1Million bolts trophy )

#37 Posted by KBFloYd (12875 posts) -

another cow hyped exclusive that no one will buy.

#38 Posted by IcyFlamez96 (1355 posts) -

[QUOTE="IcyFlamez96"][QUOTE="danish-death"] Sometime this year, im not sure when though.[QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

finalstar2007

lol

its online correct? looking forward to trying it out, i been playing All for One lately, been trying to platinum it ( i need the 1Million bolts trophy )

Yup its online.
#39 Posted by finalstar2007 (24880 posts) -

KBFloYd

Another stupid comment from another sheep

#40 Posted by IcyFlamez96 (1355 posts) -

KBFloYd
Except this game is barely hyped. Im posted this so more people are at least aware about the game. i already know it is probably not going to sell really well but I hope im wrong because its fun as fudge
#41 Posted by sexyweapons (5302 posts) -

:cry:I would apply but I don't live in the US

can I still apply?

#42 Posted by sexyweapons (5302 posts) -

can I still apply?

#43 Posted by finalstar2007 (24880 posts) -

can I still apply?

sexyweapons

I dont live in the U.S either and is till got a code for it :P.. havent tried putting the code yet tho but will see later on

#44 Posted by sexyweapons (5302 posts) -

can I still apply?

#45 Posted by sexyweapons (5302 posts) -

can I still apply?

#48 Posted by freedomfreak (38639 posts) -

No RAC game has impressed me since Gladiator. I doubt this one will.

#49 Posted by RyanShazam (6498 posts) -

I love Ratchet and Clank... Going to have to check this game out.

#50 Posted by -ArchAngeL-777- (3786 posts) -
I just picked up my Ratchet Collection yesterday. Ratchet is one of the most underrated franchises I think. I will definitely be getting Full Frontal Assault.