The PS4's weakness shows again in latest witcher patch

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@commander said:

Yes , the latest witcher 3 patch shows again the PS4's weakness because of that weaker cpu. The ps4 get's a performance hit with the latest patch, but the X1 get's an even bigger performance hit.

The gap has become smaller because of this but still the ps4 trails the x1 framerates and with that latest performance hit we're talking about gameplay hovering a lot around 21-22 fps, while the x1 then hovers around 27-28 fps.

It's really sad that sony advertises 1080p gameplay but can't achieve decent framerates. This is getting to look like 1080p slideshows. What's even sadder is that they can't solve this with lowering the resolution, This is a cpu bottleneck (as was expected with current gen games)

Yet again microsoft shows that they are much better at making a balanced system. The resolution may be a bit lower than 1080p in most cases (900p), it does manage to keep acceptable framerates for a console. The ps4 is really flirting with the unacceptable here.

Some people even been calling the playstation 4 the powerpoint 4...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-should-you-install-the-witcher-3-patch-107

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-batman-arkham-knight-pc-lacks-console-visual-features

NVIDIA GameWorks tinted Batman: Arkham Knight on PC lacks console visual features. Performance is poor and specific graphical effects are missing too.

Having tested the PC game on a Intel Core i7 3770K machine, with 16GB of memory and a GTX 780 Ti, a solid all-round experience should be within easy reach. In reality, performance levels are poor with this setup, and to throw salt into the wound, the PC's top tier settings miss out on visual effects found in the PlayStation 4 release

Master Race = Master Fail.

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

Frame rate should be a priority over resolution. 30 should be a bare minimum. Doesn't matter if you have to drop it to 480p. Make it smooth and consistent.

Agreed. Framerate directly affects how you play the game, where choppiness can make a game nearly impossible to play. Resolution just makes the crispness level decrease when dropped.

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

Do fanboys even read and comprehend the crap they put out on this forum board anymore? Apparently not, dumb post when you clearly said the Xbox takes a bigger hit in performance.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#54 TigerSuperman
Member since 2013 • 4331 Posts

@ten_pints said:

"but the X1 get's an even bigger performance hit." ???

the point is that it has this but still runs better. Which is odd.

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#55 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

It's really hard to imagine that anyone in 2015 would want to be playing console games at 900p, but brand loyalty is a powerful force.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#56  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@tormentos said:
@commander said:
@MonsieurX said:

But the 720p/900p games

But slideshows...

Rather than improve PS4 and Xbox One's frame-rates as expected, patch 1.07 actually shows a regression for each. Microsoft's platform now appears to use a double-buffer method of v-sync to match PS4, causing it to lock at 20fps when the going gets tough in the swamps.

Did you even read.?

Hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa.....

Both drops into the 20 while the PS4 has 40% higher resolution which never changes,since this game was falsely claim to have dynamic resolution of 1080p but in reality is only 1080p on the menu never did DF recorded a 1080p moment gameplay wise..hahaha

Maybe you should learn how to read.

It's a set-up that matches PlayStation 4, which also locks at 20fps for this section of gameplay (swamps)

Our analysis shows Microsoft's console retains its advantage in frame-rate over the PS4

Compared side-by-side, the gap has narrowed between PS4 and Xbox One, but only due to the latter's apparent degradation in performance, forcing the two to run at a matching 20fps in challenging areas. Otherwise, PS4's performance profile on patch 1.07 doesn't give us much to celebrate - it still stutters in places where Xbox One runs at a perfectly smooth 30fps, and in cut-scenes, Sony's console produces the lower readings overall.

The matter of the fact is that sony cannot hide it's inferiority anymore. It can produce 1080p but it cannot produce acceptable framerates. It has been shown in numerous games. When we're talking current gen games, the cpu cannot keep up. I said it a year ago and i say it again, the xbox one is a balanced system, the ps4 isn't.

Enjoy your powerpoint station 4

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

@commander said:

The matter of the fact is that sony cannot hide it's inferiority anymore. It can produce 1080p but it cannot produce acceptable framerates. It has been shown in numerous games. When we're talking current gen games, the cpu cannot keep up. I said it a year ago and i say it again, the xbox one is a balanced system, the ps4 isn't.

You gonna ignore the fact that 90% of multiplats have better frame rate on PS4?

MS needs to stop forcing 900p on a system that cannot handle it.

Stutterbox Done.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#59 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

This is a bad thread.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#60 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

lol consolepeasants and your peasant 720-1080p resolutions

I don't even know what 1080p looks like anymore.

@2160p masterrace

milsvaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#61 milsvaard
Member since 2003 • 1928 Posts

We all know these machines are not monsters, it's only going to get worse going forward. But Still, I love 'em.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 commander

@GrenadeLauncher said:
@commander said:

You gonna ignore the fact that 90% of multiplats have better frame rate on PS4?

MS needs to stop forcing 900p on a system that cannot handle it.

They may have a higher resolution, but 90 percent doesn't have a higher framerate lol

The only games that have a higher framerate are the ones that were released when the x1 sdk wasn't ready and when it still had resources reserved for the kinect,

but that time is long gone

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By RoboCopISJesus
Member since 2004 • 2225 Posts
@ronvalencia said:
@commander said:

Yes , the latest witcher 3 patch shows again the PS4's weakness because of that weaker cpu. The ps4 get's a performance hit with the latest patch, but the X1 get's an even bigger performance hit.

The gap has become smaller because of this but still the ps4 trails the x1 framerates and with that latest performance hit we're talking about gameplay hovering a lot around 21-22 fps, while the x1 then hovers around 27-28 fps.

It's really sad that sony advertises 1080p gameplay but can't achieve decent framerates. This is getting to look like 1080p slideshows. What's even sadder is that they can't solve this with lowering the resolution, This is a cpu bottleneck (as was expected with current gen games)

Yet again microsoft shows that they are much better at making a balanced system. The resolution may be a bit lower than 1080p in most cases (900p), it does manage to keep acceptable framerates for a console. The ps4 is really flirting with the unacceptable here.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-should-you-install-the-witcher-3-patch-107

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-batman-arkham-knight-pc-lacks-console-visual-features

NVIDIA GameWorks tinted Batman: Arkham Knight on PC lacks console visual features. Performance is poor and specific graphical effects are missing too.

Having tested the PC game on a Intel Core i7 3770K machine, with 16GB of memory and a GTX 780 Ti, a solid all-round experience should be within easy reach. In reality, performance levels are poor with this setup, and to throw salt into the wound, the PC's top tier settings miss out on visual effects found in the PlayStation 4 release

http://www.eurogamer.net/?type=face-off

Nearly all games run and look much better on PC over PS4, much like Witcher3. Bringing up a 7.0 game which temporarily had problems wont change this.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By ronvalencia

@RoboCopISJesus said:
@ronvalencia said:
@commander said:

http://www.eurogamer.net/?type=face-off

Nearly all games run and look much better on PC over PS4, much like Witcher3. Bringing up a 7.0 game which temporarily had problems wont change this.

Porting deferred context multithreading games from Xbox One's DX11.X would not maximise PS4's capabilities.

Using lower quality textures for the PC port is not even funny anymore...

The latest Batman has out done Ubisoft's f**k-ups i.e. another NVIDIA Gameworks tinted developer/studio/publisher.

Also read, http://www.pcgamesn.com/welcome-to-the-vram-apocalypse

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By RoboCopISJesus

@ronvalencia said:

The latest Batman has out done Ubisoft's f**k-ups i.e. another NVIDIA Gameworks tinted developer/studio/publisher.

I'm aware that the 7.0 Batman AK was poorly done for PC. It's being fixed, and had patches which addressed most issues before it stopped being sold.

I was mostly talking about the 99% of other games that are much better on PC, like the 10.0 Witcher 3.

This trend seems to continue, as Fallout4, Doom4, and Deus Ex appear to be 30 fps (likely with dips) and probably nothing close to Ultra.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Playing Smash Bros in 1080p@60fps right now little busy to engage in discussion you guys enjoying Witcher 3 at 20fps? Let me go play Goldeneye to remember what that looks like.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By ronvalencia

@RoboCopISJesus said:
@ronvalencia said:

I'm aware that the 7.0 Batman AK was poorly done for PC. It's being fixed, and had patches which addressed most issues before it stopped being sold.

I was mostly talking about the 99% of other games that are much better on PC, like the 10.0 Witcher 3.

This trend seems to continue, as Fallout4, Doom4, and Deus Ex appear to be 30 fps (likely with dips) and probably nothing close to Ultra.

NVIDIA lied and fakes 60 fps for NVIDIA Gameworks trailer for Batman.

Loading Video...

What's wrong with the last Deus Ex: Human Revolution? It runs well on both AMD and NVIDIA hardware WITHOUT going backwards from the PS4 version.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is AMD "Gaming Evolved" title and most of their titles runs well WITHOUT going backwards from the PS4 version.

GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 GrenadeLauncher

@commander said:

They may have a higher resolution, but 90 percent doesn't have a higher framerate lol

The only games that have a higher framerate are the ones that were released when the x1 sdk wasn't ready and when it still had resources reserved for the kinect,

Yes they do. This year pretty much every big retail game - Project Cars, Batman, Mortal Kombat X - and pretty much every other game has had better frame rate on the PS4.

Enjoy that Cinematicbox Done.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 commander

@GrenadeLauncher said:
@commander said:

Yes they do. This year pretty much every big retail game - Project Cars, Batman, Mortal Kombat X - and pretty much every other game has had better frame rate on the PS4.

Yeah but that is not the same thing now is it, all those games have acceptable framerates on the xbox one.

GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 GrenadeLauncher

@commander said:

Yeah but that is not the same thing now is it, all those games have acceptable framerates on the xbox one.

23-25fps is acceptable, now?

Owned, lem.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#71 Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34601 Posts

Blame PS4 when a dev makes a bad patch. System Wars!

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 commander

@GrenadeLauncher said:
@commander said:

Owned, lem.

You're just lying lol, neither of those games have those kind of framerates on the xboxone.

GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 GrenadeLauncher

@commander said:
@GrenadeLauncher said:
@commander said:

Owned, lem.

You're just lying lol, neither of those games have those kind of framerates on the xboxone.

Except pretty much every multiplat so far this gen.

S-t-u-t-t-e-r-b-o-x Done.

:)

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By commander

@GrenadeLauncher said:
@commander said:
@GrenadeLauncher said:
@commander said:

Owned, lem.

Except pretty much every multiplat so far this gen.

S-t-u-t-t-e-r-b-o-x Done.

:)

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 commander

@TigerSuperman said:
@ten_pints said:

"but the X1 get's an even bigger performance hit." ???

the point is that it has this but still runs better. Which is odd.

that's not odd with a cpu bottleneck

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#76 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

slideshow is the new cinematic mode for consoles

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#77  Edited By remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

lol, Powerpoint 4.

SW's at it's finest.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 RoboCopISJesus

@remiks00 said:

lol, Powerpoint 4.

SW's at it's finest.

i shat out my drink when I heard that.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 commander

@RoboCopISJesus said:
@remiks00 said:

lol, Powerpoint 4.

SW's at it's finest.

i shat out my drink when I heard that.

That was the point lol

psx_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By psx_warrior
Member since 2006 • 1757 Posts

If they just limited this game to 720p on both systems, this would not be a problem. CPU in Xbone is like, come on GPU, I got more graphics for you to process. GPU says, I'm trying, give me a second here! PS4 GPU says, come on, feed me more data to process for that 1080p love! CPU says, I'm trying, give me a second to send you all that data. In a nutshell.

When I had my gaming PC for about two or three years, I had to turn the resolution down to 720p on Crysis 2, because when I cranked it all the way to 1080p, the frame rate suffered. I have a 4850 in my rig. Hermits can't totally say we don't have to worry about resolution if the card we have can't handle it with a particular game. The good part about that is we have the option to turn those settings down. Whereas on consoles, you are at the mercy of the developer. Obviously, even though that's true, they will still have to fix it somehow with enough console gamers complaining about it that they will have to patch it again to get the frame rate back up to acceptable levels.

Consoles are still not a bad deal IMHO since when you compare a system like Xbone or PS4 to its previous gen. version, it is still more advanced. For example, I saw a video comparing Battlefield 4 on Xbone to 360, and a building blew up. The fire in the Xbone version looked like real fire, but the 360 version's fire looked like a puff of red smoke. It just did not look good like the Xbone version.

People should cut these systems some slack. You don't here about over heating problems in Xbone like was plagued in the 360 and original Xbox. That's a big deal to me IMHO. Also, FF VII on PS4 first. "Nuff said.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#81  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@psx_warrior:

Actually in both systems the cpu's starve both gpu's when using the normal single threaded or deferred based workloads. Now when Dev's take the time and code with PS4's modern low level API, the affect from the cpu holding back the gpu is greatly diminished, but still to a degree it still hold's it back. Problem is that the vast majority(devs) are still using the out dated methods that DX 11 uses and it affects the PS4 as well. When DX12 becomes the norm on X1 & PC, PS4 will also see the benefits with a common based coding with hardware usage from the API's.

You must have had issues from your part or inadequate hardware, because on high settings paired with 2nd gen intel icore cpu a 4850 could handle Crysis 2 at 1920x1200 on high with 35 fps average. Also that game introduced DX11 with the Cryengine and settings and effects the 360 nor PS3 could ever dream of running.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Someone's desperate.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By commander

@psx_warrior said:

If they just limited this game to 720p on both systems, this would not be a problem. CPU in Xbone is like, come on GPU, I got more graphics for you to process. GPU says, I'm trying, give me a second here! PS4 GPU says, come on, feed me more data to process for that 1080p love! CPU says, I'm trying, give me a second to send you all that data. In a nutshell.

When I had my gaming PC for about two or three years, I had to turn the resolution down to 720p on Crysis 2, because when I cranked it all the way to 1080p, the frame rate suffered. I have a 4850 in my rig. Hermits can't totally say we don't have to worry about resolution if the card we have can't handle it with a particular game. The good part about that is we have the option to turn those settings down. Whereas on consoles, you are at the mercy of the developer. Obviously, even though that's true, they will still have to fix it somehow with enough console gamers complaining about it that they will have to patch it again to get the frame rate back up to acceptable levels.

Consoles are still not a bad deal IMHO since when you compare a system like Xbone or PS4 to its previous gen. version, it is still more advanced. For example, I saw a video comparing Battlefield 4 on Xbone to 360, and a building blew up. The fire in the Xbone version looked like real fire, but the 360 version's fire looked like a puff of red smoke. It just did not look good like the Xbone version.

People should cut these systems some slack. You don't here about over heating problems in Xbone like was plagued in the 360 and original Xbox. That's a big deal to me IMHO. Also, FF VII on PS4 first. "Nuff said.

Yeah of course we should cut these systems some slack, but it's always the sony fans that bash the xboxone because of the resolution, completely ignoring the fact that the X1 has smoother gameplay in the most demanding games.

Apparently even lems don't realize that, they take the bashing and their only response is controller, network service and exlusives but it's a lot more than that. Microsoft was always better at making balanced consoles. The x360 was way more balanced than the ps3 and so is the x1. The only problem with the x1 was that its resources were not only nerfed because of the kinect, you also had to pay for that kinect.

But that time is a long gone, you can buy an xbox one for a cheaper price than the ps4 and you get smoother framerates in the heaviest games, framerates that matter because sub 30 fps, things get laggy and that impacts your gaming experience, and a bit higher resolution doesn't make up for that.

GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 GrenadeLauncher

@commander: PS4 has better frame rates in 90% of games, lem.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 commander

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@commander: PS4 has better frame rates in 90% of games, lem.

psx_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By psx_warrior
Member since 2006 • 1757 Posts

@04dcarraher said:

@psx_warrior:

Actually in both systems the cpu's starve both gpu's when using the normal single threaded or deferred based workloads. Now when Dev's take the time and code with PS4's modern low level API, the affect from the cpu holding back the gpu is greatly diminished, but still to a degree it still hold's it back. Problem is that the vast majority(devs) are still using the out dated methods that DX 11 uses and it affects the PS4 as well. When DX12 becomes the norm on X1 & PC, PS4 will also see the benefits with a common based coding with hardware usage from the API's.

You must have had issues from your part or inadequate hardware, because on high settings paired with 2nd gen intel icore cpu a 4850 could handle Crysis 2 at 1920x1200 on high with 35 fps average. Also that game introduced DX11 with the Cryengine and settings and effects the 360 nor PS3 could ever dream of running.

I also have a Q8200 quad core cpu and 8 gb ddr2 ram, if that gives you anymore info. Maybe it's the cpu.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By commander

@psx_warrior said:
@04dcarraher said:

@psx_warrior:

I also have a Q8200 quad core cpu and 8 gb ddr2 ram, if that gives you anymore info. Maybe it's the cpu.

It's probably everything, cpu, ram, vga and settings. High settings are actually pretty low in crysis 2, you have also , extreme, gamer, ultra.

The q 8200 is only 2.33 ghz as well.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By 04dcarraher

@commander said:
@psx_warrior said:
@04dcarraher said:

@psx_warrior:

It's probably everything, cpu, ram, vga and settings. High settings are actually pretty low in crysis 2, you have also , extreme, gamer, ultra.

Q8200 is as fast as Q6600 and with Crysis 2 with a GTX 590, a Q6600 you would only get around 40 fps. While Phenom 2 X4's above 3.2 ghz would be able to get around 60 fps and with intel 1st gen icores. Crysis 2 with Direct x 9 has a major inherent flaw of only using one cpu core to talk to gpu. Now if you were running DX11 Crysis 2, it scaled cpu usage much better allowing a Athlon 2 X4 run nearly as well as a i7 2600k with 7970.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By commander

@04dcarraher said:
@commander said:
@psx_warrior said:
@04dcarraher said:

@psx_warrior:

Q8200 is as fast as Q6600 and with Crysis 2 with a GTX 590, a Q6600 you would only get around 40 fps. While Phenom 2 X4's above 3.2 ghz would be able to get around 60 fps and with intel 1st gen icores. Crysis 2 with Direct x 9 has a major inherent flaw of only using one cpu core to talk to gpu. Now if you were running DX11 Crysis 2, it scaled cpu usage much better allowing a Athlon 2 X4 run nearly as well as a i7 2600k with 7970.

Q8200 is still a bit weaker than the Q6600 , the q 8400 is more on par with the 6600.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 04dcarraher

@commander said:

Q8200 is still a bit weaker than the Q6600 , the q 8400 is more on par with the 6600.

We are talking about a less than 10% difference for purposes of comparing.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

@commander said:
@psx_warrior said:

Yeah of course we should cut these systems some slack, but it's always the sony fans that bash the xboxone because of the resolution, completely ignoring the fact that the X1 has smoother gameplay in the most demanding games.

Apparently even lems don't realize that, they take the bashing and their only response is controller, network service and exlusives but it's a lot more than that. Microsoft was always better at making balanced consoles. The x360 was way more balanced than the ps3 and so is the x1. The only problem with the x1 was that its resources were not only nerfed because of the kinect, you also had to pay for that kinect.

But that time is a long gone, you can buy an xbox one for a cheaper price than the ps4 and you get smoother framerates in the heaviest games, framerates that matter because sub 30 fps, things get laggy and that impacts your gaming experience, and a bit higher resolution doesn't make up for that.

I think the point is people see most of multi platform games releases that come out recently not only run on higher resolution but run smoother on ps4. Games like Mortal Kombat, Project Cars and recently Batman, some with huge 10+ fps gap even. These have all been mainstream multi platform releases. The point is XboxOne cpu advantage from a hardware perspective is not as big as PS4 gpu and memory advantage. Both have weak ass cpus. Overall PS4 tends to be the slightly better console hardware, and talking about balance ps4 is the more balanced console game hardware. Lets not kid ourselves in these day and age the target is always 1080p. There both weak to achieve this perfectly, the different is one gets close enough the other one cant in the example of this game.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

21fps is unacceptable. A lock 30fps or go back to the drawing board.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

lol powerpoint station... My sides.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By commander

@ellos said:
@commander said:
@psx_warrior said:

I think the point is people see most of multi platform games releases that come out recently not only run on higher resolution but run smoother on ps4. Games like Mortal Kombat, Project Cars and recently Batman, some with huge 10+ fps gap even. These have all been mainstream multi platform releases. The point is XboxOne cpu advantage from a hardware perspective is not as big as PS4 gpu and memory advantage. Both have weak ass cpus. Overall PS4 tends to be the slightly better console hardware, and talking about balance ps4 is the more balanced console game hardware. Lets not kid ourselves in these day and age the target is always 1080p. There both weak to achieve this perfectly, the different is one gets close enough the other one cant in the example of this game.

Mortal kombat and batman run pretty much the same on both systems, only the ps4 runs at 1080p and the Xbox one at 900p. The fps is the same.

Project cars does indeed run better on the ps4 but let's not get carried away here. Both systems target for 60 fps and in the heaviest scenarios the game never drops below 30 fps, that's still acceptable framerates and with a lot of cars on screen when it's not raining, the fps meter goes actually in favor of the xboxone.

The gpu advantage in the ps4 is indeed bigger than the cpu advantage in the xboxone. The ps4 has about 40 percent more gpu power. The xboxone has about 24 percent more cpu power (10 percent overclock and 14 percent from the 7thcore). But don't forget that the bottleneck mostly is on the cpu side in demanding games. When there's a gpu bottleneck the xboxone can solve this by lowering the resolution, which it does by running games at 900p, but the ps4 has to be a lot more creative in case of a cpu bottlneck. Lowering the resolution isn't enough. They have to use that freed up gpu power to do cpu tasks, and that works a lot better in theory than in real world scenario's.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 ellos

@commander said:
@ellos said:
@commander said:
@psx_warrior said:

Mortal kombat and batman run pretty much the same on both systems, only the ps4 runs at 1080p and the Xbox one at 900p. The fps is the same.

Project cars does indeed run better on the ps4 but let's not get carried away here. Both systems target for 60 fps and in the heaviest scenarios the game never drops below 30 fps, that's still acceptable framerates and with a lot of cars on screen when it's not raining, the fps meter goes actually in favor of the xboxone.

The gpu advantage in the ps4 is indeed bigger than the cpu advantage in the xboxone. The ps4 has about 40 percent more gpu power. The xboxone has about 24 percent more cpu power (10 percent overclock and 14 percent from the 7thcore). But don't forget that the bottleneck mostly is on the cpu side in demanding games. When there's a gpu bottleneck the xboxone can solve this by lowering the resolution, which it does by running games at 900p, but the ps4 has to be a lot more creative in case of a cpu bottlneck. Lowering the resolution isn't enough. They have to use that freed up gpu power to do cpu tasks, and that works a lot better in theory than in real world scenario's.

It is literally that 100mhz overclock difference that XboxOne has in terms of CPU. When we are talking about purely hardware, when there is a cpu bottleneck its pretty much a pain for both of these consoles. Optimizing is never fun but if you sit around and starting to maping things around you can attain better results on ps4. GPUs are starting to show that aside from heating up more they are actually do compute better than CPUS. Calling cpus out and somewhat implying that people are misled that PS4 is more powerful than Xboxone is a bit of a strech IMO. There tend to be a bigger gap on the other side.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Whatever the PS4 is "losing" in cycles in terms of system performance from it's slightly slower processor piece is more than being made up for in terms of memory performance with a unified memory addressing architecture. If you are bottlenecking in terms of compute performance, it is because you have not optimized your engine for the CUs.

Seeing as how this is a multiplatform game from a small developer, these things come as no surprise. What also doesn't come as a surprise is that, once again, an Xbox fanpuppet is making a big deal about something no one is actually giving a flying crap about.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 commander

@ellos said:
@commander said:
@ellos said:
@commander said:
@psx_warrior said:

It is literally that 100mhz overclock difference that XboxOne has in terms of CPU. When we are talking about purely hardware, when there is a cpu bottleneck its pretty much a pain for both of these consoles. Optimizing is never fun but if you sit around and starting to maping things around you can attain better results on ps4. GPUs are starting to show that aside from heating up more they are actually do compute better than CPUS. Calling cpus out and somewhat implying that people are misled that PS4 is more powerful than Xboxone is a bit of a strech IMO. There tend to be a bigger gap on the other side.

You're not seeing things into perspective. For starters it is not 100 mhz, it is 150 mhz. On 1.6 ghz , that's 9.375 percent. Across all 8 cores.

Both systems have 2 cores reserved for the operating system. So 6 cores are designated for gaming, however microsoft managed to run the operating system on 1 core, it is also something only microsoft can manage, they make operating systems. Sony uses an existing operating system and is not in the position to pull something off like this.

That 7th core can only be used for 80 percent though but you have to realize that this core is overclocked as well. It adds another 14,5 percent cpu power for games. In total that's 24 percent.

24 percent extra power in a cpu bottleneck scenario is the difference between night and day and it's also the reason the xboxone magages to pull off better framerates in a number of games, and that number will be rising, since the more demanding the games are, the bigger the cpu bottleneck. The demand for gpu power will simply be met by microsoft by lowering the resolution. The ps4 will have to do that to and use gpgpu tools to make the gpu do cpu tasks, but in the end, cpu's are best at pure cpu tasks.

Ac unity is the best example of this scenario. It needs a lot of cpu power to calculate the ai of big crowds. The ps4 simply cannot run the game at 1080p because it has to transfer power to the cpu but in the end it is not enough. Both systems run the game at 900p and the ps4 framerates still trails the xboxone.

I neve said the xboxone is a better system, but saying that the ps4 is the strongest console ever made, is kind of warping the truth. It's the console with the strongest graphics card, but the xboxone is faster.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 ellos

@commander said:
@ellos said:
@commander said:
@ellos said:
@commander said:
@psx_warrior said:

You're not seeing things into perspective. For starters it is not 100 mhz, it is 150 mhz. On 1.6 ghz , that's 9.375 percent. Across all 8 cores.

Both systems have 2 cores reserved for the operating system. So 6 cores are designated for gaming, however microsoft managed to run the operating system on 1 core, it is also something only microsoft can manage, they make operating systems. Sony uses an existing operating system and is not in the position to pull something off like this.

That 7th core can only be used for 80 percent though but you have to realize that this core is overclocked as well. It adds another 14,5 percent cpu power for games. In total that's 24 percent.

24 percent extra power in a cpu bottleneck scenario is the difference between night and day and it's also the reason the xboxone magages to pull off better framerates in a number of games, and that number will be rising, since the more demanding the games are, the bigger the cpu bottleneck. The demand for gpu power will simply be met by microsoft by lowering the resolution. The ps4 will have to do that to and use gpgpu tools to make the gpu do cpu tasks, but in the end, cpu's are best at pure cpu tasks.

Ac unity is the best example of this scenario. It needs a lot of cpu power to calculate the ai of big crowds. The ps4 simply cannot run the game at 1080p because it has to transfer power to the cpu but in the end it is not enough. Both systems run the game at 900p and the ps4 framerates still trails the xboxone.

I neve said the xboxone is a better system, but saying that the ps4 is the strongest console ever made, is kind of warping the truth. It's the console with the strongest graphics card, but the xboxone is faster.

I'm trying to show you things in perspective. I'm trying to show you your using a machine that also has cpu bottleneck to claim weakness on the other is strange. Look if your fps dips low 20s on both and your advantage is 2-4 fps thats a bottleneck on both for these cpu bound games. Especially when you look at these two games and where AC unity is lately. These are both weak cpus. One with 150mhz overclocked and not sure if these games uses that 80% of the 7th core.

"The PS4's GPU is very programmable. There's a lot of power in there that we're just not using yet. So what we want to do are some PS4-specific things for our rendering but within reason - it's a cross-platform game so we can't do too much that's PS4-specific," he reveals. quote from an article about porting The Crew to PS4. Ubisoft were in real phase of this back then. In Montreal contract jobs for there games were advertising if you were a specialist at porting DX to ps4's GNM or GNMX.

I'm trying to tell you on the total package PS4 is slight more powerful than XboxOne. The different is You can always try to take advantage of ps4 gpu which tends to be a bigger pay. it doesnt have to be just the resolution. As mentioned above. For multi platform comparison sake you get these mainstream games that come out and not only perform better but also run on higher resolution.

Allocating resource improving SDK is not something that only Microsoft can do. Microsoft is prominent and they pretty much own the most common api, but in most cases usually it takes an open source project to either show the way or highlight flaws for MS to pick things up. And surprising it was Sony with better tool chains of the gate this gen.

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

The PlayStation 4 is not weaker than the Xbox One.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 04dcarraher

@ellos said:
@commander said:

I'm trying to show you things in perspective. I'm trying to show you your using a machine that also has cpu bottleneck to claim weakness on the other is strange. Look if your fps dips low 20s on both and your advantage is 2-4 fps thats a bottleneck on both for these cpu bound games. Especially when you look at these two games and where AC unity is lately. These are both weak cpus. One with 150mhz overclocked and not sure if these games uses that 80% of the 7th core.

"The PS4's GPU is very programmable. There's a lot of power in there that we're just not using yet. So what we want to do are some PS4-specific things for our rendering but within reason - it's a cross-platform game so we can't do too much that's PS4-specific," he reveals. quote from an article about porting The Crew to PS4. Ubisoft were in real phase of this back then. In Montreal contract jobs for there games were advertising if you were a specialist at porting DX to ps4's GNM or GNMX.

I'm trying to tell you on the total package PS4 is slight more powerful than XboxOne. The different is You can always try to take advantage of ps4 gpu which tends to be a bigger pay. it doesnt have to be just the resolution. As mentioned above. For multi platform comparison sake you get these mainstream games that come out and not only perform better but also run on higher resolution.

The problem is that both consoles for the vast majority of multiplats and even exclusive games the most commonly used coding methods hold back both cpu and gpu efficiency/performance. The X1 does hold back the PS4 on the cpu front in coding because of the DX11.X limitations still using one main core to directly talk to the gpu. Even still that 7th core can help to have a more stable framerate when your doing more cpu stressful tasks with both systems using same base coding. Not too many games actually make use of the 7th core and that X1 is still using a limited API.

The only reason why PS4 gpu is very programmable is because they already have a low level based API at work allowing dev's if they take the time and effort to code it. Porting DX 11 to GNMX is not hard since Sony's API has quick easy type cloning like tool to copy and paste DX coding. Now the low level on the other hand takes time and in-depth work.

Prime example is BF4 where the DICE used async shaders with PS4 while X1 was stuck with its limited API rendering 30% less resolution with an average of 10 fps less in MP. (With DX12 we would most likely see X1 only have a lower resolution but with equal or slightly better framerate average)

Now once X1's new SDK comes out with DX12 both consoles will be on the same coding standards and we will see X1's cpu side abilities become much better and have more resources to be used from the upclock and that extra core. So we will most likely see X1 performing better in some aspects then the PS4 when it comes to cpu demanding tasks.

Now also from that new SDK X1's gpu will also be much more programmable and from DX12 that 2nd ACE unit in the gpu will be opened up to use. But that will not allow the X1 to get on the same level of performance as PS4 gpu. We will still see 30-35% more performance out of the PS4 gpu than X1 with gpu side tasks. So with a multiplatform scenario with both consoles on equal footing on API's maximizing resources, it depends on the game's orientation in favoring the cpu or gpu and if both are using set standards like 30/60 fps before you can say that PS4 will always perform better. Its not always the case.