commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

The story never ends. We already had a taste of sony's achilles heel (the weak cpu) with call of duty: modern warfare, asssassins creed unity, far cry 4 and gta V but the taste is becoming gradually sourer.

For starters rockstar released a patch for gta V that would improve framerates and it did, but it also decreased image quality significantly. There have been numerous complaints about decreased anistropic filtering, parrallax occlussion and view distance quality, There's is also a lot more texture popin and the vehicle collision system is reduced as well.

Of course the x1 has received this patch as well, but if the ps4 is that stronger why did they got the patch? I think the nauseauting framerates have something to do with it. The ps4 does have a slightly higher detail setting but the cpu is also a 10 percent slower. That cpu difference will get bigger as well, in january 2015 microsoft released an sdk update where it unlocks the 7th core for gaming applications. Sony has no plans and is probably not able to do anything about that cpu otherwise they would have done it already for their latest game bloodborne. The load times are simply nerve wrecking for a game where its previous installment had the tagline 'prepare to die' . The game has a different name and a different story but a lot of gameplay elements, especially the dying part, are very similar to dark souls.

Does 44.4 seconds respawn time mean '4 the gamers'? I don't think so. An ssd can bring relief though,

Bloodborne load times ; respawn at central yharnam

- ps4 stock hdd: 44.4s

- hgst 7200 rpm 1tb Seagate: 37.5s

- 1tb sshd hybrid: 33.9s

- Scandisk extreme pro 480 gb ssd: 31.9s

But still half a minute with an ssd. That simply shows a huge bottleneck on the cpu side. It isn't the only problem in bloodborne, the game struggles to maintain 30 fps overall. I know dark souls had this too, but dark souls was released on consoles that were 6 years old and the load times were a lot better (10-20 seconds) The ps4 is 1.5 years old and it seems it has been pushed to limits already. The x1 will always have the gpu handicap though, but at a lower resolution it may seem a lot more viable for next gen games than the ps4 once that 7th core is used., the ps4 can drop the resolution and use gpgpu tools though.

But hey who uses consoles for triple a games anyway, gta V is coming for the pc 14 of april, but then of course mortal kombat X is releasing as well. In the meantime alan shearer is available on fifa ultimate team for 3 million coins, xbox only of course

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

aren't you the guy who said that fifa dlc will win the entire console war?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Already a thread from yesterday:

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/gta-v-ps4-xo-downgraded-31935905/?page=1

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By commander

@SolidTy said:

Already a thread from yesterday:

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/gta-v-ps4-xo-downgraded-31935905/?page=1

the gta downgrade is only a small part of the post, read the whole post before you reply, or at least more than the first two sentences.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

Bloodborne is awesome. You should check it out.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ProtossX

OP Sony is patching bloodborn load time fixes

they have a big patch scheduled to help the load times out and fix everything about the game

also sony has plans to let ppl upgrade hard drive or use bigger hard drive in a update

so everything in ur post is gettin fixed up an will be great by the time i get mine

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By commander

@SolidGame_basic said:

Bloodborne is awesome. You should check it out.

Dark souls was nice( even great actually) but couldn't get into dark souls 2, i'll doubt i would get into bloodborne as well, my hands can only stand that kind of abuse for one game.

But still this isn't an attack on bloodborne , it's only to point out the cpu bottleneck in the ps4

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

This is why exclusives on consoles are a bad thing. If you are a gamer with high standards you basically can't play/or enjoy this game, because it is too hard to tolerate loading times of 32sec (with SSD!!!!), and with frame rate struggling to maintain 30fps, and so many other disadvantages that come with consoles...

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By commander

@MK-Professor said:

This is why exclusives on consoles are a bad thing. If you are a gamer with high standards you basically can't play/or enjoy this game, because it is too hard to tolerate loading times of 32sec (with SSD!!!!), and with frame rate struggling to maintain 30fps, and so many other disadvantages that come with consoles...

Yeah and this in a game where you die all the time

You upgraded your old system with a xeon? smart move

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

PS4 shows it weakness? Aren't you forgetting that the X1 is the weakest of the lot?

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

@commander said:

@MK-Professor said:

It really was, it only cost me 18 euros (after selling the i7-920), it runs much cooler and OC better while having 2 more cores.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 commander

@MK-Professor said:

@commander said:

@MK-Professor said:

It really was, it only cost me 18 euros (after selling the i7-920), it runs much cooler and OC better while having 2 more cores.

yeah i've been looking at those cpu's for a friend, there dirt cheap and still very good.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

@clyde46 said:

PS4 shows it weakness? Aren't you forgetting that the X1 is the weakest of the lot?

With that SDK update and if developers make use of the 7th core in gaming applications the gap will close considerably, in a lot of cases the Xbox One will play some games with much better performance. Maybe not from a graphical standpoint but in other ways it could really give the PS4 a run for its money. Having access to another core on top of having an already 10% faster CPU is a big deal, this will allow for more intricate world geometry, better AI, more AI, better and more advanced physics calculation etc.

You think the Xbox One had issues running Dead Rising 3? It would have caved even further on the PlayStation 4 due to all of the AI calculation's and script running. It would have had to of run at 720p also due to the calculations consuming so many CPU resources it couldn't feed ample instructions to the GPU. In a nutshell it doesn't matter if your GPU is 40% more powerful if your CPU is bottlenecking.

The CPU is the PlayStation 4's Achilles heel for the future, the Xbox One does not have this problem.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@nyadc said:

@clyde46 said:

With that SDK update and if developers make use of the 7th core in gaming applications the gap will close considerably, in a lot of cases the Xbox One will play some games with much better performance. Maybe not from a graphical standpoint but in other ways it could really give the PS4 a run for its money. Having access to another core on top of having an already 10% faster CPU is a big deal, this will allow for more intricate world geometry, better AI, more AI, better and more advanced physics calculation etc.

You think the Xbox One had issues running Dead Rising 3? It would have caved even further on the PlayStation 4 due to all of the AI calculation's and script running. It would have had to of run at 720p also due to the calculations consuming so many CPU resources it couldn't feed ample instructions to the GPU. In a nutshell it doesn't matter if your GPU is 40% more powerful if your CPU is bottlenecking.

The CPU is the PlayStation 4's Achilles heel for the future.

Hang on, the CPU in both consoles is the same bar a 100MHz different in clock speed. If you think that software can suddenly make the X1 more potent then you are delusional.

Buckhannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Buckhannah
Member since 2013 • 715 Posts

So much salt and butthurt. Cry moar.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

@clyde46 said:

Hang on, the CPU in both consoles is the same bar a 100MHz different in clock speed. If you think that software can suddenly make the X1 more potent then you are delusional.

It's 150Mhz, also the Xbox One has the ability to parse an entire CPU core more than the PlayStation 4 towards game development if a developer sees fit to make use of it. This bolded part made me cringe, you're so ignorant it's not even funny, that was a very stupid thing to say...

You do realize that software is the end all be all of hardware performance right? Well apparently you don't, if your API is not optimized or functioning in ways it should you will have serious performance issues and your hardware will not be properly utilized. Why do you think that DirectX 12 is showing performance gains in the upwards of 400% over DirectX 11? It's changing the way the CPU interacts with the GPU via SOFTWARE... If a game is not properly optimized and you're getting bad performance why is this happening? Is it because of your hardware? Oh, it's because the SOFTWARE is not optimally coded...

You just lost any rights to further engage in this discussion, your PlayStation 4 is waiting. Let us PC gamers discuss things you're not knowledgeable about, farewell console gamer.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By commander

@nyadc said:

@clyde46 said:

It's 150Mhz, also the Xbox One has the ability to parse an entire CPU core more than the PlayStation 4 towards game development if a developer sees fit to make use of it. This bolded part made me cringe, you're so ignorant it's not even funny, that was a very stupid thing to say...

You do realize that software is the end all be all of hardware performance right? Well apparently you don't, if your API is not optimized or functioning in ways it should you will have serious performance issues and your hardware will not be properly utilized. Why do you think that DirectX 12 is showing performance gains in the upwards of 400% over DirectX 11? It's changing the way the CPU interacts with the GPU via SOFTWARE... If a game is not properly optimized and you're getting bad performance why is this happening? Is it because of your hardware? Oh, it's because the SOFTWARE is not optimally coded...

You just lost any rights to further engage in this discussion, farewell.

The software may of course improve performance like with dx12. But the cpu problem is actually deeper than only software, it's not only an os problem it's also a problem of hardware configuration. The increase in clock speed is too much for the ps4 motherboard and cooling to handle and the 7th core unlock doesn't work with the os setup. For that they would have to rewrite the os and make it compatible with older games, apparently as of now they can't do that.

The 150 mhz is also a lot more significant thatn clyde says. It's 150 mhz across 6 cores running at 1.6 mhz. That's 10 percent, that 7th core on top of that is another 15 percent. That's 25 percent in total , on a cpu that's bottlenecking that will show massive gains.

Gpgpu tools can be a way out for sony, but some cpu tasks are simply too taxing for a gpu. The future will tell us more but one thing is for sure, this war is far from over.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

@clyde46 said:

This is about the CPU. Xbox One has the stronger CPU, which has been showing in games lately.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ProtossX

@commander said:

The software may of course improve performance like with dx12. But the cpu problem is actually deeper than only software, it's not only an os problem it's also a problem of hardware configuration. The increase in clock speed is too much for the ps4 motherboard and cooling to handle and the 7th core unlock doesn't work with the os setup. For that they would have to rewrite the os and make it compatible with older games, apparently as of now they can't do that.

The 150 mhz is also a lot more significant thatn clyde says. It's 150 mhz across 6 cores running at 1.6 mhz. That's 10 percent, that 7th core on top of that is another 15 percent. That's 25 percent in total , on a cpu that's bottlenecking that will show massive gains.

Gpgpu tools can be a way out for sony, but some cpu tasks are simply too taxing for a gpu. The future will tell us more but one thing is for sure, this war is far from over.

microsoft should also rework the OS on xb1 nobody wants to use a shitty mobile tablet OS thats bloated and lags like crap compared to last gen systems

OS this OS that

sony's os runs faster it runs games better and it has 40% better gpu for multiplat performance

microsoft need to abandon bloatware like windows 8 and move back to a sleek slick windows 7 operating system that doesn't lag from tablet to pins to home buttons

i own the xb1 i know how bloated the xb1 os is when i want to game i seen ps4's os on streams an it glides through screens easily 10x the speed how i see my xbone

i cant wait to experience the ps4 and am hoping MICROSOFT is the one that recodes there OS since it sucks right now it looks like a windows phone tablet OS terrible for a gaming system

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 commander

@ProtossX said:

@commander said:

microsoft should also rework the OS on xb1 nobody wants to use a shitty mobile tablet OS thats bloated and lags like crap compared to last gen systems

OS this OS that

sony's os runs faster it runs games better and it has 40% better gpu for multiplat performance

microsoft need to abandon bloatware like windows 8 and move back to a sleek slick windows 7 operating system that doesn't lag from tablet to pins to home buttons

i own the xb1 i know how bloated the xb1 os is when i want to game i seen ps4's os on streams an it glides through screens easily 10x the speed how i see my xbone

i cant wait to experience the ps4 and am hoping MICROSOFT is the one that recodes there OS since it sucks right now it looks like a windows phone tablet OS terrible for a gaming system

weird my x1 glides to everything easily as well and its way more performant than the ps4 especially multitasking

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ProtossX

@commander said:

@ProtossX said:

@commander said:

OS this OS that

weird my x1 glides to everything easily as well and its way more performant than the ps4 especially multitasking

no it doesn't the downloads take forever i had to leave my xb1 all night i have 60 MBPS internet connection and it took me a full night digitally download a game from the store

i couldn't even play it same day i bought it

then the pins like lag are slow when i make a short cut on my windows 7 desktop the thing instantl when i make a pin on xb1 it takes it like 2-3 seconds an then pops up an its very snappy and i dislike it an sometimes it lags going from the store or settings

its not super fast an menus are hard to get around an stuff lots of empty space and the background wallpapers dont look good with all the crappy tiles everywhere

i seen the wallpapers on ps4 an it look cinematic with animated game backgrounds and no tiles all over screen looks very sexy designed im sick of my bone

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

The patch lower the quality in both version dude.

The xbox one had frame problems while shooting the PS4 while driving,the PS4 already was prove to be superior let it die.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 commander

@tormentos said:

The xbox one had frame problems while shooting the PS4 while driving,the PS4 already was prove to be superior let it die.

it's a lot more than that, maybe you should read the whole post

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5a30e101a977c

@commander: No reason to argue with him, he'll always say PS4 is the better version, no matter what. Or it's the fault of developers, or Microsoft paid the developers for parity, etc etc. A lot of conspiracy theories with that one...

@ProtossX said:

no it doesn't the downloads take forever i had to leave my xb1 all night i have 60 MBPS internet connection and it took me a full night digitally download a game from the store

That has to do with the servers, and nothing with the OS.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@commander said:

@tormentos said:

I already read your post and address what need it to be.

So yeah the PS4 is superior let it die.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 commander

@tormentos said:

@commander said:

@tormentos said:

I already read your post and address what need it to be.

So yeah the PS4 is superior let it die.

Not on the cpu side it isn't, on the cpu side it's severly handicapped next to the x1

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 commander

@FastRobby said:

@commander: No reason to argue with him, he'll always say PS4 is the better version, no matter what. Or it's the fault of developers, or Microsoft paid the developers for parity, etc etc. A lot of conspiracy theories with that one...

@ProtossX said:

That has to do with the servers, and nothing with the OS.

who are you talking about?

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@commander:

It depends if GTA5 PS4 build copied multithreading model from Killzone Shadow Fall.

DX11's multithreading model i.e. deferred context threads get serialized into the primary thread, hence the bottleneck with the primary thread.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By commander

@ronvalencia: well that maybe a reason but that doesn't change the lower framerates in other games or the loading times in bloodborne. Besides various sources confirm the cpu bottleneck in gta V when driving at higher speeds through junctions.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ProtossX

@commander said:

@ronvalencia: well that maybe a reason but that doesn't change the lower framerates in other games or the loading times in bloodborne

japanese games have always had long death loading scenes im not even sure if its loading or just taunting the player who died by making tem look at a game over

remember in metal gear when you die and the guy screams in the mic like 6 times and it makes you sit through it

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

You know you've messed up when Protoss is ripping your topic apart.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

Seems like someone is butthurt again

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts

I see what you're saying... then I pop in DriveClub and Infamous Second Son and suddenly what you're saying is invalidated. Those are damn beautiful looking games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5a30e101a977c

@commander said:

@FastRobby said:

who are you talking about?

Only tormentos is that crazy

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 commander

@ProtossX said:

@commander said:

@ronvalencia: well that maybe a reason but that doesn't change the lower framerates in other games or the loading times in bloodborne

japanese games have always had long death loading scenes im not even sure if its loading or just taunting the player who died by making tem look at a game over

remember in metal gear when you die and the guy screams in the mic like 6 times and it makes you sit through it

lglz1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lglz1337
Member since 2013 • 4959 Posts

LMAO hopefully TCknows XposBone is the weakest link of the 2 the whole system is a bottleneck.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 commander

@lglz1337 said:

LMAO hopefully TCknows XposBone is the weakest link of the 2 the whole system is a bottleneck.

Not really, the cpu isn't bottlenecking like the ps4 does and it will certainly be a lot less when games use that 7 th core.

Don't forget the x1 is also cheaper

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

@nyadc: God you are such a delusional lem. Dead Rising would be better on PS4 in every way. There is not ONE game on the PS4 that runs in 720p. And the AI in DR is non existent they are fucking zombies.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By commander

@AM-Gamer said:

@nyadc: God you are such a delusional lem. Dead Rising would be better on PS4 in every way. There is not ONE game on the PS4 that runs in 720p. And the AI in DR is non existent they are fucking zombies.

resolution aint everything. I rather have game with steady framerates at 720p than a lagfest at 1080p.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AM-Gamer

@commander: Except DR was a lagfest even at 720p.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By commander

@AM-Gamer said:

@commander: Except DR was a lagfest even at 720p.

it doesn't matter if the cpu is bottlenecking it will simply lag because of that. At 1080p or 480p. Dead rising was probably both. The matter of the fact is the ps4 would have lagged more even when decreasing resolution

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

this seems like an amalgamation of shit that has already been posted/discussed

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 commander

@lostrib said:

I can understand that any form of synthesis is above your intelligence

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By AM-Gamer

@commander: Are you honestly so delusional that you think a 10% cpu advantage is going to make up for a 50% gpu advantage? When gpu compute is used the X1 is fucked. The PS4 can offload enough task with room to spare and that's ignoring the the fact that 90% of the time the PS4 is running similar frame rates with higher res and equal or better assets most of the time already.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 lostrib

@commander said:

@lostrib said:

There's no need to get upset, just because you made a shitty thread

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 commander

@lostrib said:

@commander said:

@lostrib said:

no need to troll because you have no life

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 lostrib

@commander said:

@lostrib said:

@commander said:

@lostrib said:

no need to troll because you have no life

Well that's just not true, but I'm sure you're used to being wrong.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

So...then why do many games come at a higher resolution and whatnot on the PS4 than on the X1?

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 commander

@AM-Gamer said:

@commander: Are you honestly so delusional that you think a 10% cpu advantage is going to make up for a 50% gpu advantage? When gpu compute is used the X1 is fucked. The PS4 can offload enough task with room to spare and that's ignoring the the fact that 90% of the time the PS4 is running similar frame rates with higher res and equal or better assets most of the time already.

It's more than 10 percent, since january microsoft has released an sdk that unlocks the 7th core for gaming applications. That means another 15 percent at least, that also means that on average the cpu in the x1 will have 25 percent more power. No games have released yet that used that 7th core, but they are coming.

That ps4's gpu advantage is not 50 percent. With the esram it's closer to 30-35 percent and will simply never make up for it for that cpu advantage. Games that will be cpu heavy will simply run a lot better on the x1.

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

PS4 and XBox One have the SAME CPU. XBox One is just clocked slightly higher.