The PS3 price drop. Smart move or an ACT of DESPERATION?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Nin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Nin360
Member since 2007 • 707 Posts
I believe the latter. If sony would of even been in the neighborhood of its sales estimates we would no way see a price drop. I believe the ps3 to be the fastest console in history to drop its price. I believe CRAZY Ken's legacy lives on in Sony and they are still paying the price.
Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts
You think the latter because you are nothing but a fanboy. Sony gave the consumers what they wanted, now they get hated on for that as well.
DaysAirlines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DaysAirlines
Member since 2006 • 9537 Posts
The only reason why anyone would drop the price of a console is to spur sales.
therealmcc0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 therealmcc0y
Member since 2007 • 2115 Posts

The whole gaming community wanted a price drop.

So they gave us what we wanted.

Erkidu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 Erkidu
Member since 2007 • 2744 Posts
Well, a little of both. It was a smart move because the PS3 couldn't hope to compete with such a high pricetag - and it was also an act of desperation, as the PS3 has a ton of ground to make up.
Nin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Nin360

therealmcc0y

Answer me this. If the ps3 sold roughly what sony expected, do you believe they still would of had a price drop?

ball_of_air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ball_of_air
Member since 2007 • 2105 Posts
Price drop + tripled sales = smart move
aznfool07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 aznfool07
Member since 2005 • 3552 Posts
Both. It would be dumb if they did nothing about the price because that's obviously one of the main issues. So its good that they did the price drop.
GARRYTH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GARRYTH
Member since 2005 • 6870 Posts
how many times are you going to make this thread.
Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts
[QUOTE="therealmcc0y"]

Nin360

Answer me this. If the ps3 sold roughly what sony expected, do you believe they still would of had a price drop?

One of the biggest complaints was the high price, they tried to fix that.

BlueBarad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BlueBarad
Member since 2003 • 2218 Posts

Short term = Price drop = More Loss

It's a double or nothing type of bet.

DaysAirlines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DaysAirlines
Member since 2006 • 9537 Posts
Gamers wanted a price drop, tell me, when don't people want to buy something for a lower price? If that was true than not only Sony but MS and Nintendo would have lower priced consoles than what they currently are.
darthogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 darthogre
Member since 2006 • 5082 Posts

It's a smart move and make no mistake it was move that was FORCED on them. And before you say it was forced on them by consumers, my opinion it had more to do with 3rd party developers saying certain titles wouldn't release on PS3 or certain exclusive titles on PS3 would lose said exclusivity if they didn't lower the price and sale more consoles this 4th qtr.

It was a smart move because Sony found out real quick they didn't have a system selling game this holiday season. The only system selling move they could do was a price cut. Not only did it let "some" PS2 customers switch but it also gives you the option to buy the cheapest Blu-ray player on the market (and probably one of the best).

Desperate would have been paying $50 million for exclusive "content" on games or cutting the price of the PS3 to unbelievable retail price ($300 would be an act of desperation in my opinion).

Stumpt25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 Stumpt25
Member since 2006 • 1482 Posts

Desparate?

Dude, you gotta hand out razers if you want to make money of the blades.

Razer: PS3

Blade: Games

They aren't desparate. They outsold the Wii in November

o0HAPPY0o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 o0HAPPY0o
Member since 2007 • 815 Posts
You think the latter because you are nothing but a fanboy. Sony gave the consumers what they wanted, now they get hated on for that as well.Ragnarok1051
I've been gaming since 77', and I've seen consoles come and go. Sony is on they're way out, like it or not.. all the warning signs are present.
thegame1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 thegame1980
Member since 2006 • 2194 Posts

The price drop was out of desperation. Everyone knows if the PS3 had sold well Sony would NOT have dropped the price for at least another year as evidenced by their previous price plans on the PSP, PS2 and PSone. Fact is they were NOT the console of choice this gen, FAILED to predict the consumer market and had to do something FAST!

Sony expected people to buy into the HD hype and jump aboard the Blu-Ray train thinking a 600 dollar Blu-Ray player was a bargain to the average consumer and as we all saw was NOT the case. So in the meantime all those potential PS3 owners turned to the 360 and then the Wii and realized "What the hell do I need a PS3 for if I already have a great (or two) home console already"?

Doc_smock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 Doc_smock
Member since 2005 • 308 Posts

they were desperate so they dropped the price, not exactly a reason to dislike them is it. At least they can see when their price is unreasonable.

crispytheone88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 crispytheone88
Member since 2006 • 901 Posts

The price drop was out of desperation. Everyone knows if the PS3 had sold well Sony would NOT have dropped the price for at least another year as evidenced by their previous price plans on the PSP, PS2 and PSone. Fact is they were NOT the console of choice this gen, FAILED to predict the consumer market and had to do something FAST!

Sony expected people to buy into the HD hype and jump aboard the Blu-Ray train thinking a 600 dollar Blu-Ray player was a bargain to the average consumer and as we all saw was NOT the case. So in the meantime all those potential PS3 owners turned to the 360 and then the Wii and realized "What the hell do I need a PS3 for if I already have a great (or two) home console already"?

thegame1980

Thanks, saved my alot of typing

Drizzt13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 Drizzt13
Member since 2005 • 1676 Posts
What is it wrong now that the PS3 dropped in price?
Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Eponique
Member since 2007 • 17918 Posts

Desparate?

Stumpt25

Incorrect. That could only happen in a Sony fanboy's dream. Or the month where FFXIII launches.

System | 05-11 | N12-N18 | N19-N25 | N26-D02 | Total

1. Wii | 34,546 | 36,230 | 54,362 | 74,764 | 199,902
2. PS3 | 55,924 | 39,178 | 50,564 | 37,092 | 182,758

code

darthogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 darthogre
Member since 2006 • 5082 Posts
[QUOTE="therealmcc0y"]

Nin360

lol, have you been watching what nintendo is doing with Wii? They asked if they would drop the price of the Wii which had to be the dumbest question ever asked.

If PS3 sold what sony expected there is no reason to drop the price of an item that is selling out. That's what Sony expected because they thought the "blu-ray" would drive sales as well. What they didnt' count on was MS helping out Toshiba with their HD format and instead of Blu-ray being a plus, it became a anchor.

If the PS3 had MGS4 and FF13 this 4th qtr, there would be NO price drop. Without a system selling game, they were forced into reality. Either drop the price or let your competition get even more ahead of you.

thegame1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 thegame1980
Member since 2006 • 2194 Posts

Nin360

Not a chance on this earth. Why drop the price if they are selling already? Common buisness sense.

Nin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Nin360

Desparate?

Stumpt25

After the price drop. They only outsold the Wii because the Wii is sold out. Do not get it twisted. If the wii had more consoles made they would of destoryed the ps3.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#25 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
How is a price drop an act of despertaion? It is a smart move. Hell it was the only move they could make.
Exeed_Orbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 Exeed_Orbit
Member since 2005 • 3472 Posts
You just gotta look at it from a business man's point of view. If it's not selling as well, and the games aren't compelling the people to buy it... you should lower the price. Blu ray would've been another selling point, except for the fact that it's not widespread yet. People bought the ps2, since the DVD was more mature back then than the blu ray is now. And it's called competition people, to compete, you can't have a system that's priced a few 100 bones more than your competition. Call it what you want, but it's just common business sense.
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts

Were it just the price drop, I'd say smart move. But what makes it an act of desperation is that they included a hardware upgrade in addition to the price drop. Good for consumers, bad for Sony.

Stumpt25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Stumpt25
Member since 2006 • 1482 Posts
[QUOTE="Stumpt25"]

Desparate?

Nin360

After the price drop. They only outsold the Wii because the Wii is sold out. Do not get it twisted. If the wii had more consoles made they would of destoryed the ps3.

It doesn't matter. It sold more because it was able to MEET the demand, wheras nintendo weren't. Demand may be high, but part of making a product sell well is being able to churn out enough units.

Truth-slayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Truth-slayer
Member since 2004 • 2510 Posts
[QUOTE="therealmcc0y"]

Nin360

Actually yes, the cost of the console would still be down and they probably would cut the price(maybe not nearly as significantly) to drive sales even further.
Yodas_Boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 Yodas_Boy
Member since 2007 • 857 Posts
Both.
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mjarantilla
[QUOTE="Nin360"][QUOTE="therealmcc0y"]

Truth-slayer

Actually yes, the cost of the console would still be down and they probably would cut the price(maybe not nearly as significantly) to drive sales even further.

Since when has a successful console ever dropped in price in the first year?

Never. That's when. Consoles generally reserve their first price drops for after their second holiday season. The fact that Sony implemented a price drop before the big holidays is a sign of their lack of confidence that they can compete.

Erkidu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Erkidu
Member since 2007 • 2744 Posts
[QUOTE="Nin360"][QUOTE="therealmcc0y"]

Truth-slayer

That's ridiculous. If the console is selling as well as the manufacturer wants - there is no need for a pricedrop. That is Obvious 101.
Avatar image for mistervengeance
mistervengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mistervengeance
Member since 2006 • 6769 Posts

they made a mistake, fixed it, and EVEN NOW you're ragging on them?

if anything, i would hate their(sony's) arrogance, not the price drops.

black_awpN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 black_awpN1
Member since 2004 • 7863 Posts
Any time a console drops price its a smart move. PS3 has seen some rather large sales inceases becasue of it. Curious to read the Nov. NPDs to see how they did on Balck Friday and such.
JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 JiveT
Member since 2005 • 8619 Posts

Selling things at a loss then increasing the amount you lose to sell more at a loss when software sales are poor seems to be a terrible business plan.

EPaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 EPaul
Member since 2006 • 9917 Posts
First you guys say the ps3 is too expensive and you want a price drop. Sony gives a price drop now you're saying sony is desperate because they lower the price. Some ppl can't be pleased
REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 REforever101
Member since 2005 • 11223 Posts
act of desperation. but it seems to be working. so it was a smart move of desperation :P
LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#38 LosDaddie
Member since 2006 • 10318 Posts

Both, actually.

Smart move because Sony was desperate for greater PS3 sales. You can bet Sony did not think the x360 would continue to out-sell the PS3 in both USA & Europe after each launch.

EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 EmperorSupreme
Member since 2006 • 7686 Posts
Blu-ray technology was ridiculously expensive when PS3 launched. A Blu-ray player ran about $1100+ now they go for around $300+. Sony passed along the savings to the consumer. How can anyone complain about that? I wish all companies did that.
VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts
it was an act of desperation
l-_-l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 l-_-l
Member since 2003 • 6718 Posts
[QUOTE="therealmcc0y"]

Nin360

No they wouldn't have. If they sold what they thought they would have, then they clearly would have given the customer what they wanted (after all, they bought the console just like sony thought they would have (to bad thats NOT what happened)). But seeing it didn't sale like sony hoped, they know it is because of price which isn't making the customer happy, so what to they do? They give the customer what they want (a price drop).
Wave360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Wave360
Member since 2007 • 1017 Posts
It was overpriced to start with, now the price is a great... I think they were desperate. Why i got a PS3 free online for COD 4 and we get MGS4, Killzone 2, GT 5, FFXIII but anyways i think sony was desperate
XanderZane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 XanderZane
Member since 2006 • 5174 Posts

I believe the latter. If sony would of even been in the neighborhood of its sales estimates we would no way see a price drop. I believe the ps3 to be the fastest console in history to drop its price. I believe CRAZY Ken's legacy lives on in Sony and they are still paying the price. Nin360

It definitely out of desperation. No other company has every drop the price of their system twice within 6 months. Not even the 3DO who actually dropped their price after the first 3 months. It was still a smart move on Sony's part because they really need to get PS3 in gamers home, so their software sales could increase. We all know they make most of their profit from software sales. The main problem with the price drop is that Sony is losing million on every PS3 sold. They probably aren't losing a huge amount on the 60GB or 80GB PS3. Probably $50 - 75$ on those, but on the 40GB PS3 they are most likely losing $125-$150 on each system sold. Both Nintendo and Microsoft are making profits on their systems now. Just wait for Sony's 4th quarter earnings next year. It's going to be real interesting.

Gun_Haze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Gun_Haze
Member since 2007 • 1010 Posts

:lol: I love SW

smart move my friend.

Guiltfeeder566

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Guiltfeeder566
Member since 2005 • 10068 Posts
How much do PS3s cost now?
Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts
[QUOTE="therealmcc0y"]

Nin360

The 360 is selling poorly atm, anwser me this, where are the 5 million Halo 3 seller consoles by 2008? non existant yes I thought as much.

XanderZane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 XanderZane
Member since 2006 • 5174 Posts

[QUOTE="Nin360"] I believe the latter. If sony would of even been in the neighborhood of its sales estimates we would no way see a price drop. I believe the ps3 to be the fastest console in history to drop its price. I believe CRAZY Ken's legacy lives on in Sony and they are still paying the price. XanderZane

It definitely out of desperation. No other company has every drop the price of their system twice within 6 months. Not even the 3DO who actually dropped their price after the first 3 months. It was still a smart move on Sony's part because they really needed to get PS3 in gamers home, so their software sales could increase. We all know they make most of their profit from software sales. The main problem with the price drop is that Sony is losing millions on every PS3 sold. They probably aren't losing a huge amount on the 60GB or 80GB PS3. Probably $50 - 75$ on those, but on the 40GB PS3 they are most likely losing $125-$150 on each system sold. Both Nintendo and Microsoft are making profits on their systems now. Just wait for Sony's 4th quarter earnings next year. It's going to be real interesting.

Selling things at a loss then increasing the amount you lose to sell more at a loss when software sales are poor seems to be a terrible business plan.

JiveT

At least someone understands what the hell I'm talking about. Business wise, it's not a very smart move, but for long haul, it had to be done. Sony couldn't go another holiday season with really dismal sales like last year. The Wii and 360's lead would have balooned. Sony would even be at 6 million+ sold right now if they didn't drop the price. They went about it the wrong way though. All they had to do was drop the 60GB PS3 to $400 and they would have sold like crazy. They could have introduced the 80GB PS3 next year if they wanted to.

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mjarantilla

Blu-ray technology was ridiculously expensive when PS3 launched. A Blu-ray player ran about $1100+ now they go for around $300+. Sony passed along the savings to the consumer. How can anyone complain about that? I wish all companies did that. EmperorSupreme

Actually, only high-end BluRay players went for $1,000+. Standard BD players cost about as much as a PS3.

WatsonC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 WatsonC
Member since 2003 • 1976 Posts

I believe the latter. If sony would of even been in the neighborhood of its sales estimates we would no way see a price drop. I believe the ps3 to be the fastest console in history to drop its price. I believe CRAZY Ken's legacy lives on in Sony and they are still paying the price. Nin360

b/c ur a 360, wii owner, according to ur sig

You think the latter because you are nothing but a fanboy. Sony gave the consumers what they wanted, now they get hated on for that as well.Ragnarok1051

yes