The problem with using STEAM hardware survey..

This topic is locked from further discussion.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

Not everyone uploads specs...

I have a 5Ghz 3770k, a 1.4Ghz R290 with 8Gb 2400Mhz RAM and I've never shared my information with them, loads of gamers don't.

As it stands currently there's more PC's that are more powerful then PS4 according to the survey right now but that's without factoring in people like me who don't share the hardware information.

Then there's the FACT that they don't send the survey out to everyone, they pick random machines and then work out an ESTIMATED percentage based on that.

So there's a lot PC's out there that can whip the consoles asses then consolites like to admit.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2  Edited By R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

How do you upload your specs? Maybe if they made it more straightforward to upload more people would do it.

Granted I've only been on Steam for six years, so maybe if I had more experience....

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 scatteh316

@R3FURBISHED said:

How do you upload your specs? Maybe if they made it more straightforward to upload more people would do it.

Granted I've only been on Steam for six years, so maybe if I had more experience....

You don't need to upload anything, you simply get a box pop up that asks you if you would like to participate in the survey, if you click 'Cancel' it goes away and doesn't share anything or you can click 'Accept' and STEAM will automatically gather you hardware specs and upload them to the survey.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

So now I'm completely lost, I thought you were saying not enough people upload their specs (a big reason why Steam used to show that the majority of people ran Dual Core CPU's just a couple of months ago) but upon closer inspection you are merely flaunting some self prescribed superiority due to you having an expensive computer....really!?

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

Steam's playtime calculator has always deeply flawed, too. It doesn't count hours that I play offline, which I do fairly often at times..

Also, my desktop is decent, but I also share the specs of my laptop with Steam, which has a dual core and intel integrated graphics..

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 scatteh316

@R3FURBISHED said:

So now I'm completely lost, I thought you were saying not enough people upload their specs (a big reason why Steam used to show that the majority of people ran Dual Core CPU's just a couple of months ago) but upon closer inspection you are merely flaunting some self prescribed superiority due to you having an expensive computer....really!?

Let me explain in laymens terms are you're obviously struggling..

I did not say not enough people uploads there specs, I said not everyone uploads there specs ( Such as me as I just don't want to share them ), this means that the current survey results that consolites try use as some form of 'ownage' are inaccurate and void in any argument about the amount of gaming PC's in the world that are faster or not faster then PS4.

The only way the STEAM survey would be valid in any argument is if Valve sent the survey out to EVERY STEAM user and then EVERY user uploaded and participated in the survey, then and only then would there be a true set of results to use and argue over.

But at present not everyone shares and participates in the survey, coupled with Valve only sending it out to a small percentage of users and then estimating the results from that data makes the survey completely pointless and the data skewed.

Which is my argument so I idea where you brain got that bullshit you said from, and by the way my PC is no where near 'expensive' it was actually build for less then double the price of a new Xbone.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

@scatteh316 said:

Not everyone uploads specs...

I have a 5Ghz 3770k, a 1.4Ghz R290 with 8Gb 2400Mhz RAM and I've never shared my information with them, loads of gamers don't.

As it stands currently there's more PC's that are more powerful then PS4 according to the survey right now but that's without factoring in people like me who don't share the hardware information.

Then there's the FACT that they don't send the survey out to everyone, they pick random machines and then work out an ESTIMATED percentage based on that.

So there's a lot PC's out there that can whip the consoles asses then consolites like to admit.

Let them continue to use it,they will keep claming ownage and we will keep shaking our heads and laughing at the fail,why ruin the fun.

The steam survey thinks im on an i7 860 with 2 x 6870s (from 4 years ago) when im actually on a i7 4790k with 1x R9 280x and 1x 7970ghz so yeah super accurate

And the survey does not differntiate between Discrete graphics and onboard graphics so any computer even if they are running a Titan if they have any sort of onboard graphics even unused that will be detected and added to the survey hence the reason these dumbasses thinking most people are using intel hd3000/4000/ gfx or similar

T3H_1337_N1NJ4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 T3H_1337_N1NJ4
Member since 2005 • 2225 Posts

In this topic: Zero statistical knowledge.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#9 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

I have a 1.8GHz i5-3330 or something and an Intel HD 4000

I am the 1%

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

I have my gaming rig in there, along with a cheap ass Toshbia laptop, my iMac and my Macbook Pro and my friends Alienware all under my profile. Which one is me though?

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I have three desktop PCs and one laptop that can game to varying degrees. None of them have been counted in the survey. It'll stay that way as far as I'm concerned.

It's just like some surveys I get on the phone. I give them wrong info just to F with them. That or a flat NO! then hang up.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:

I have three desktop PCs and one laptop that can game to varying degrees. None of them have been counted in the survey. It'll stay that way as far as I'm concerned.

It's just like some surveys I get on the phone. I give them wrong info just to F with them.

How is your sig wider than mine?

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@clyde46 said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

It's just like some surveys I get on the phone. I give them wrong info just to F with them.

How is your sig wider than mine?

Well, if you read the fine print, the max a signature can be is 600x125 pixels. I pushed mine to the max. He He. So did Blabadon up there.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

The Steam survey is important because the cows need ammo. :-P

asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 asylumni
Member since 2003 • 3304 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:

It's just like some surveys I get on the phone. I give them wrong info just to F with them. That or a flat NO! then hang up.

So you're saying we shouldn't believe one bit of your sig? :P

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@R3FURBISHED said:

You'll randomly get a steam pop up asking if you want to take the survey

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@asylumni said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

So you're saying we shouldn't believe one bit of your sig? :P

It's a sig. If no one believes it, that's fine with me.

But, there are members here who know my track record. They know it's legit.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@scatteh316 said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

I did not say not enough people uploads there specs, I said not everyone uploads there specs ( Such as me as I just don't want to share them ), this means that the current survey results that consolites try use as some form of 'ownage' are inaccurate and void in any argument about the amount of gaming PC's in the world that are faster or not faster then PS4.

The only way the STEAM survey would be valid in any argument is if Valve sent the survey out to EVERY STEAM user and then EVERY user uploaded and participated in the survey, then and only then would there be a true set of results to use and argue over.

But at present not everyone shares and participates in the survey, coupled with Valve only sending it out to a small percentage of users and then estimating the results from that data makes the survey completely pointless and the data skewed.

Which is my argument so I idea where you brain got that bullshit you said from, and by the way my PC is no where near 'expensive' it was actually build for less then double the price of a new Xbone.

So in effect you're saying all large scale surveys are meaningless because no large scale survey surveys everyone. If enough people participate you get an accurate picture.

For all we know the average pc could be lower if everyone participated. I would imagine someone with a killer rig would be more likely to participate than a low end pc user.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
@lostrib said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

You'll randomly get a steam pop up asking if you want to take the survey

I think it comes up once a month.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lostrib

@Cranler said:

@scatteh316 said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

So in effect you're saying all large scale surveys are meaningless because no large scale survey surveys everyone. If enough people participate you get an accurate picture.

For all we know the average pc could be lower if everyone participated. I would imagine someone with a killer rig would be more likely to participate than a low end pc user.

Only problem is Steam doesn't give out demographic information about the participants, or how many users participated

You can imagine all you want, doesn't mean it's true

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

You've never heard of statistics?

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@lostrib said:

@Cranler said:

@scatteh316 said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

Only problem is Steam doesn't give out demographic information about the participants, or how many users participated

You can imagine all you want, doesn't mean it's true

That's why I said "for all we know"

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

lol beggar race damage controlling. face it, ps4 is more powerful than 90% of pc out there + cheaper

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

A lot of people will not even read what it is and close the pop up when steam starts up, I done this for a few years and recently filled it in with my information

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@ghostwarrior786 said:

lol beggar race damage controlling. face it, ps4 is more powerful than 90% of pc out there + cheaper

PC's are cheaper over time if you buy more than 4 games per year.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By lostrib

@ghostwarrior786 said:

...well duh, the vast majority of PCs out there are probably network/business computers

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Ok tc, then dont complain about crappy PC games. Dont blame consoles when you not even do something easy as to take part of steam hardware survey.

GodspellWH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GodspellWH
Member since 2013 • 1078 Posts

@aroxx_ab said:

Ok tc, then dont complain about crappy PC games. Dont blame consoles when you not even do something easy as to take part of steam hardware survey.

its optional

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

if everyone did those surveys would be looking even weaker.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

statistics man

No matter what you say or do it won't change the truth.Less than 1% of pc gamers have those UBER rigs.The rest fall into either midrange,low end or crappy laptop category(most on the latter).

So yeah statistically speaking the ps4 stronger than your average pc.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#31 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

The last time I remember seeing that box asking me if id like to do a survey was about 3 years ago and I pressed no.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@ShepardCommandr said:

statistics man

No matter what you say or do it won't change the truth.Less than 1% of pc gamers have those UBER rigs.The rest fall into either midrange,low end or crappy laptop category(most on the latter).

So yeah statistically speaking the ps4 stronger than your average pc.

The average console gamer doesn't have a PS4. If I recall correctly, the majority still have PS3 and 360s. When I read one of those sales threads, I thought I saw 78 million PS3 units sold. I don't think the sales of PS4 units are even that close.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#33 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@scatteh316:

Intel Core i7-4820K Processor, 16GB DDR3-1866 Memory, NVIDIA Quadro K600 2GB, 500GB Hard Drive + 1TB Hard Drive

I had a buddy choose stuff for me as I really don't know as much as you guys do, but I am learning. I like it, and it plays games great. Only problem is I still don't have my own place and keep the desktop at my uncles in LI, so I don't get to use it every day.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 scatteh316

@ghostwarrior786 said:

Lmao... even when you pathetic consolites use the 'STEAM' survey results there's still more PC's around that are powerful then PS4....... And what has PS4 got? Best games at the minute are The Witcher 3 and Project cars, both PC first and both will look and play better on PC.

Enjoy your 30fps cow

sdgrrkiafefrf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By sdgrrkiafefrf
Member since 2017 • 1 Posts

@scatteh316: Ever heard of statistics? It's very easy to make a very good estimate of population means from sample means, so long as your sample is randomly selected. For example, do you think that when drugs are developed, they're tested on the entire population of the world to make sure that they're safe for everyone? It's the same concept with steam hardware survey. So long as they have a large enough sample size, they can make a very good estimate of the overall population's hardware. Obviously it's not going to be 100% accurate, but it will probably be to within a few percent of the actual values.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

inb4lock

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts