The problem with Halo

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by drekula2 (1872 posts) -

The problem with Halo is not that it's a bad IP or that it has gotten stale. But it's no longer a titan and can no longer in and of itself sell a console. Maybe Halo 5 will be revolutionary (I'd venture to guess it won't be).

Halo 1 was a 10/10 game. Halo 2 and 3 were 9/10 games. Halo ODST, Halo Reach and Halo 4 were 8/10 games. The first 3 games each innovated quite a good bit, but after that, the series stopped innovating.

It was sad to notice that 5 years later, Halo 4, both online and off, is almost entirely the same as Halo 3.

My point is that Halo is still a strong IP, but it needs to exist alongside other strong IPs rather than being Microsoft's main selling point.

#2 Edited by always_explicit (2578 posts) -

Halo isnt a system seller????....now I have heard it all.

If killzone is a system seller of course Halo is a system seller.

#3 Posted by drekula2 (1872 posts) -

Halo 1 and 2 sold Xbox. Halo 3 sold Xbox 360. But the games after that lacked the significance.

Killzone is not a system seller at all though, unless you compare it to Ryse.

#4 Posted by Consternated (478 posts) -

It has auto aim, and is a little slow paced. Fix both of those, and I'd probably buy a One to play it.

#5 Posted by dotWithShoes (4781 posts) -

Killzone innovates, Halo doesn't. simple!

#6 Posted by Bishop1310 (872 posts) -

I have to admit the only reason I'm considering a X1 is for Halo 5..No other exclusives are system sellers to me and if the PS4 is better then the X1 in terms of raw power I want my multiplats on that system.

If the X1 was 399 there wouldn't be a debate.

#7 Edited by always_explicit (2578 posts) -

@dotWithShoes: Would love to hear some of these innovations.

Im not even a Halo fan but its streets ahead of killzone in terms of story, gameplay and competitive multiplayer.

#8 Edited by HalcyonScarlet (3659 posts) -

Imo it just hasn't been as fun as it was when it peaked with Halo 3.

Halo CE 7/10 (I'm convinced there is massive nostalgia with this one)

Halo 2 8/10

Halo 3 10/10

ODST 6.9/10

Reach 7.5/10

Halo 4 7/10

Halo 4 imo wasn't the same as Halo 3, they tried to make it a little more real or serious with the gun play in a CoD kind of way, but without the down-the-barrel aiming.

#9 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (5127 posts) -

Im not even a Halo fan but its streets ahead of killzone in terms of story, gameplay and competitive multiplayer.

Halo 4 wasn't.

#10 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25355 posts) -

It'll still sell consoles. 5 will push a ton of Bones. I do agree they're being churned out too quickly; original trilogy was the peak.

#11 Edited by dotWithShoes (4781 posts) -

Sarcasm m8, sarcasm.

#12 Posted by always_explicit (2578 posts) -

@always_explicit said:

Halo 4 wasn't.

Horses for courses, Regardless... on topic. IT IS a system seller. The masterchief is a videogame icon and will remain so.

#13 Posted by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

I stopped caring about Halo.

#14 Posted by always_explicit (2578 posts) -

@always_explicit said:

Sarcasm m8, sarcasm.

Soz. Doesnt translate.

#15 Posted by StormyJoe (4455 posts) -

@always_explicit said:

HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

Not to bash the game, but come ON! Killzone is known as the "generic FPS" because it just copies what everyone else does!

#16 Posted by Lucianu (9282 posts) -

Was a 6/10 for me.. before i bumped up the difficulty to Heroic. The engrossing gunplay complemented by the fantastic AI makes the game a real enjoyable ride and made me forget about the painfully repetitive level design and lack of variety. Also, that open level design is a blast to play trough in co-op splitscreen.

It's definitely a great game, fantastic in co-op, and for people that can actually stomach such repetitiveness i can picture it being a awesome game.

#17 Posted by shawn30 (4238 posts) -

Halo 4 sales - 8.44 million. Metracritic 87

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/51758/halo-4/

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/halo-4

As with any series this old and successful the next one needs to take its time to truly deliver And since we won't see Halo 5 until fall 2014 thats two full years, which is a good thing. But any news of the series dying or dead is silly at best outside of an individual opinion. For the record I feel Reach was the best game in the series.

#18 Posted by iambatman7986 (381 posts) -

The problem with Halo is that Bungie isn't involved with it anymore. Halo 4 was decent, but nowhere near the glory of Halo 1,2, or 3. Never really played Reach but I'm betting it was good. Halo 4 just didn't feel like it had the same heart and soul put into it that the first 3 games had.

PS Halo sells systems, maybe not like it used to because of the Call of Duty rush, but it still sells systems. Anyone saying it doesn't is in denial.

#19 Posted by XxR3m1xInHDn3D (1967 posts) -

Anyone that says that 343 killed Halo never played Reach. If Halo 5 is on par with Halo 2 then I will buy the One just for that game alone but it still has a lot of other good looking games that I want to play like Crimson Dragon, Sunset Overdrive and they want to make Phantom Dust 2.

#20 Edited by drekula2 (1872 posts) -

I rate the games in context for it's time. It's the only way you can fairly do it.

If you played just played it recently, you may not see what's so special about it because there are 6 other Halo games just like it. But back then in 2001 99% of FPS games couldn't begin to compete with Halo.

#21 Posted by Kingpin0114 (2513 posts) -

Lol at Halo not being a system seller. It may have gone a little down hill since Halo 3 but you better believe Halo 5 will move a lot of consoles.

#22 Posted by drekula2 (1872 posts) -

The problem with Halo is that Bungie isn't involved with it anymore. Halo 4 was decent, but nowhere near the glory of Halo 1,2, or 3. Never really played Reach but I'm betting it was good. Halo 4 just didn't feel like it had the same heart and soul put into it that the first 3 games had.

PS Halo sells systems, maybe not like it used to because of the Call of Duty rush, but it still sells systems. Anyone saying it doesn't is in denial.

But Bungie was involved in Reach and Reach was equally as derivative as 4 was.

Lol at Halo not being a system seller. It may have gone a little down hill since Halo 3 but you better believe Halo 5 will move a lot of consoles.

but it won't compensate for microsoft's lack of other IP's.

#23 Posted by Kingpin0114 (2513 posts) -

@drekula2: But this thread is about Halo...not other IP's. At the end of the day, Halo is still a system seller.

#24 Posted by RR360DD (11414 posts) -

It is still a system seller.

And from the sounds of it, 343 are pushing the next Halo in new directions.

I don't think it will become as big as it was during the original trilogy, but its still a series that dwarfs 95% of the rest.

Plus MS are trying to create the next big thing with their Black Tusk game, so its not like they're depending solely on Halo.

#25 Posted by k2theswiss (16574 posts) -

lawls. there will most likely be custom xboxs when halo 5 ships. I promise all of them will sell!

#26 Edited by Gaming-Planet (13680 posts) -

343 is a terrible company.

#27 Posted by iambatman7986 (381 posts) -

@drekula2 said:

@iambatman7986 said:

But Bungie was involved in Reach and Reach was equally as derivative as 4 was.

Not sure about Reach because like I said, I didn't really play it. I know 4 was not as good as the first 3 though. There are many people I know that loved Reach but didn't really enjoy 4. There are people that didn't like Reach either though. I'll play Reach for myself this weekend and see for myself.

A different studio taking over a franchise is going to change the feel of the game and I think that was my problem with 4. The pacing, level designs, graphics all felt a little off from what I became accustomed to with the Halo franchise. It isn't a bad game at all, it just wasn't the original 3 in quality in my opinion.

MS just wants to keep their money franchise alive which is smart on a business side, so they hired devs to keep it going. These devs aren't Bungie though.

#28 Posted by Motokid6 (4973 posts) -

Halo 4 was bad for me because the lack of/bad mp maps and the ordinance system. No other halos mp was better then two.

#29 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (3659 posts) -
@drekula2 said:

@HalcyonScarlet said:

I rate the games in context for it's time. It's the only way you can fairly do it.

If you played just played it recently, you may not see what's so special about it because there are 6 other Halo games just like it. But back then in 2001 99% of FPS games couldn't begin to compete with Halo.

The latest I played Halo CE was after Halo 2 at the latest on the original Xbox.

#30 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (3659 posts) -
@Lucianu said:

@HalcyonScarlet said:

Was a 6/10 for me.. before i bumped up the difficulty to Heroic. The engrossing gunplay complemented by the fantastic AI makes the game a real enjoyable ride and made me forget about the painfully repetitive level design and lack of variety. Also, that open level design is a blast to play trough in co-op splitscreen.

It's definitely a great game, fantastic in co-op, and for people that can actually stomach such repetitiveness i can picture it being a awesome game.

I might try it on Heroic then,

#31 Posted by MajesticShea (695 posts) -

@RR360DD said:

It is still a system seller.

And from the sounds of it, 343 are pushing the next Halo in new directions.

I don't think it will become as big as it was during the original trilogy, but its still a series that dwarfs 95% of the rest.

Plus MS are trying to create the next big thing with their Black Tusk game, so its not like they're depending solely on Halo.

Their black tusk game can at best; hope to be as successful as splinter cell/hitman games

#32 Edited by Alucard_Prime (2569 posts) -

@drekula2: It's hard to tell now, but I agree MS could use another strong IP, it wouldn't hurt....they have the Racing genre locked with Forza, and Halo is still very strong. I think Halo4 sold over 3 million copies in the first 24 hours alone, and is considered the highest selling MS game. Halo's first entry on the X1 should sell very strongly, the community behind that game is astounding and it's a franchise that has a lot of longtime fans and it's very entrenched in the competitive scene as well.

#33 Posted by clr84651 (5269 posts) -

The problem with Halo, as with any series over time is it's been done to death!

#34 Posted by kingtito (4709 posts) -

@always_explicit said:

Hhahahahaha "killzone innovates" hahahahaha ummmm ok

#35 Posted by Bruin1986 (1163 posts) -

343 is a terrible company.

I just love idiotic posts like this.

343 Industries has made a grand total of.....1 game.

A game that scored AAA on Gamespot and averaged 88% on Gamerankings.

Would you like to compare that to Guerrilla's first title? Or Naughty Dog? Or innumerable other developers?

Taking over the impossibly huge shoes of Bungie would be a tall task for the most seasoned of developers, let alone a brand new one.

Yeah, there were some mistakes made with Halo 4, but it's absolutely a solid title. Dismissing 343i as "terrible" is just absurd.