The powerful dazzling facade of PC gaming

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by TheOldOlder (1212 posts) -

I have come across so many witty remarks about PC gaming being, the greatest and final stronghold of for the core gamers and there is such a tremendous flaw underlying the seemingly incontrovertible axiom, the customization possibilities, superior performance and the exquisite , enormous offering of games, is nothing else but another choice, option, amidst the existing console alternatives.

There is a universe of games available under the Xbox brand, within the Sony Playstation brand and last but no least, with Nintendo and their everlasting classics.

Lets think for a moment, based on the aforementioned premise, Why would the average video game player necessarily choose to side with the PC as his or her main platform for games, create a steam account, origin, gamefly account and purchase a plentiful of exclusive PC games both retail and digitally, many of them being real time strategy titles, shooters and a plethora of multiplats also available on consoles, if his predominant game interest is the Zelda series, or God of War, or Halo or even the racing simulation games such as Forza and Gran Turismo, my point is both collectively and individually the gaming universe found inside each available console is a fitting substitute for PC gaming as whole.

Especially considering the empty, baseless fallacy that is the whole concept of core gaming, which I find ludicrous, a lousy manifestation of teenage elitism sometimes found also in young adults.

#2 Posted by clyde46 (46803 posts) -

TL: DR Conclusion. OP is an idiot.

#3 Posted by getyeryayasout (7760 posts) -
I like console exclusives too.
#4 Posted by Obviously_Right (5102 posts) -

tumblr_mcz617rSy01r38j04o1_500.gif

*Wipes tear*

#5 Posted by Sokol4ever (6305 posts) -

I have come across so many witty remarks about PC gaming being, the greatest and final stronghold of for the core gamers and there is such a tremendous flaw underlying the seemingly incontrovertible axiom, the customization possibilities, superior performance and the exquisite , enormous offering of games, is nothing else but another choice, option, amidst the existing console alternatives.

There is a universe of games available under the Xbox brand, within the Sony Playstation brand and last but no least, with Nintendo and their everlasting classics.

Lets think for a moment, based on the aforementioned premise, Why would the average video game player necessarily choose to side with the PC as his or her main platform for games, create a steam account, origin, gamefly account and purchase a plentiful of exclusive PC games both retail and digitally, many of them being real time strategy titles, shooters and a plethora of multiplats also available on consoles, if his predominant game interest is the Zelda series, or God of War, or Halo or even the racing simulation games such as Forza and Gran Turismo, my point is both collectively and individually the gaming universe found inside each available console is a fitting substitute for PC gaming as whole.

Especially considering the empty, baseless fallacy that is the whole concept of core gaming, which I find ludicrous, a lousy manifestation of teenage elitism sometimes found also in young adults.

TheOldOlder

Well said, I personally always had PC, PlayStation and Nintendo brands of systems since the early 90's. I never understood the idea behind: "I only play one system, everything else is meaningless or none-existent". Sometimes, you can only afford one medium, it happens, those with families, work and busy daily lifestyle don't have the time to enjoy all the gaming has to offer.

I have seen this happen from my school years, college and today in my 30is with family status. Over the course of 20 years of gaming I realized that what always mattered is the enjoyment and happiness when you pick up the controller and relax or your favorite PC game.

#6 Posted by bleehum (5320 posts) -
Holy run on sentence batman. The English language is weeping in the corner now.
#7 Posted by organic_machine (9686 posts) -

So basically going exclusive means missing out on games.

No need to fluff up your OP with words, this is essentially what your saying. And I agree.

The aura of "we're more hardcore" is silly, however there's no denying the PC's simulator dominance, if you're into that stuff.

#8 Posted by tagyhag (15867 posts) -
Keep trying please.
#9 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -
Because they like the games, and because they like the general premise of the platform. If it's true of consolites, why would it be any different for them?
#11 Posted by PannicAtack (21040 posts) -

That's an awful lot of words to fluff up "exclusives and multiplats are things that exist."

Also, God of War? Halo? Gran Turismo? Not impressed.

#12 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

I like your effort and your attempt at using vocabulary that would indicate you are somewhat intelligent but I think you need to put a little more thought into the actual meat of your posts in order to really draw in the crowds.

Oh who I am kidding, it's SW.

#13 Posted by topgunmv (10262 posts) -

It took you a lot of words to say nothing.

#14 Posted by MW2ismygame (2183 posts) -

1) Grammar

2) Blog it

3) Whothe hell am i kidding this is SW, smh

#15 Posted by Jankarcop (9908 posts) -

pollos-obama.jpgf

#16 Posted by Ly_the_Fairy (8652 posts) -

Someone discovered a thesaurus today!

#17 Posted by MW2ismygame (2183 posts) -

pollos-obama.jpgf

Jankarcop

SOOOOO, its an Obama picture thread now ? Beat this.

23615743.jpg

#18 Posted by BattleSpectre (6393 posts) -

*Takes off my Fanboy goggles*

Ok i also love console exclusives and that's why i own everything. But in the end i prefer playing everything else on my PC.

#19 Posted by Jonwh18 (9350 posts) -

That's an awful lot of words to fluff up "exclusives and multiplats are things that exist."

Also, God of War? Halo? Gran Turismo? Not impressed.

PannicAtack

starcraft, WoW, Diablo? Not impressed. See hwo that works? :roll:

#20 Posted by jer_1 (7451 posts) -

This is why PC gamers usually have their PC in addition to their dust collectors (consoles). I've done my fair share of console gaming this "gen" but there's still no way that 95% of the console games have brought me as much entertainment as the games I've been playing on PC. That's what floats my boat, but others might be riding on a completely different boat.

Who cares, just play f*cking games you do like there chief.

#21 Posted by strategyfn (336 posts) -

I'm sorry TC but the PC has a lot more games than simple Real Time Strategy games, such as Command and Conquer, and so forth. The PC has deep strategy games, like Hearts of Iron 3, and other strategy games which I haven't played like Pride of Nations. These can't be found on consoles. PC has the Total War Series with steam offering some of the games for $9.99, which the console doesn't have. There are also a lot more entertaining games which I haven't played on the PC. Currently I'm enjoying Tomb Raider Underworld, which I got for $4.99 on steam, good luck finding it on consoles that cheap.

There is nothing wrong with just PC gaming, it's what I chose to do after my Xbox 360 failed. I wouldn't say no to any of the consoles if I was given one for free. I don't think anyone should push anyone into any sort of gaming; console gaming can be fine. All the consoles, and PC have something going for them that one could be entertained by just owning one.

#22 Posted by jer_1 (7451 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

pollos-obama.jpgf

MW2ismygame

SOOOOO, its an Obama picture thread now ? Beat this.

I knew that guy was a drug dealer!!! Now I finally have the last piece of the puzzle...

#23 Posted by NaveedLife (17179 posts) -

Translation: "Every system has exclusives"

herp derp.

#24 Posted by mems_1224 (47448 posts) -
pc gaming is awesome, pc gamers are usually awful people like most people online.
#25 Posted by jer_1 (7451 posts) -

That's an awesomely broad brush you paint with, well done.

#26 Posted by slimjimbadboy (1731 posts) -

if his predominant game interest is the Zelda series, or God of War, or Halo or even the racing simulation games such as Forza and Gran TurismoTheOldOlder

Wait, so PC doesn't have games like Zelda(NES topdown to another hack and slash adventure), hack and slash x2, FPS titles..., real simulators and even arcade racers like Forza and GT????

#27 Posted by TheOldOlder (1212 posts) -

[QUOTE="TheOldOlder"]

if his predominant game interest is the Zelda series, or God of War, or Halo or even the racing simulation games such as Forza and Gran Turismoslimjimbadboy

Wait, so PC doesn't have games like Zelda(NES topdown to another hack and slash adventure), hack and slash x2, FPS titles..., real simulators and even arcade racers like Forza and GT????

Of course it does but the matter at hand is preference, there is no such thing as PC being the ultimate, superior gaming platform, unless we're talking about Real Time Strategy games.
#28 Posted by MrYaotubo (2709 posts) -
[QUOTE="slimjimbadboy"]

[QUOTE="TheOldOlder"]

if his predominant game interest is the Zelda series, or God of War, or Halo or even the racing simulation games such as Forza and Gran TurismoTheOldOlder

Of course it does but the matter at hand is preference, there is no such thing as PC being the ultimate, superior gaming platform, unless we're talking about Real Time Strategy games.

And TBS,WRPG´s,FPS´s,all kinds of simulators,MMO´s of any description(MMORPG,MMOFPS,etc),not to mention the biggest indie quality selection of any platform.
#29 Posted by Another-World (811 posts) -
BIg words, okay grammar, bad sentence structuring and lame argument. 2/10. Try harder.
#30 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (16692 posts) -

These merely reflect my preferences. But, there's plenty enough (both old and new) that hold my interest in PC gaming.

gamecollage.jpg

Edit:

There's also the inherent flexibility of the PC that I like such as posting here and editing game shots all on the same machine I game on.

#31 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

A weak argument trying to hide behind "big words". Lame attempt, OP, very lame... :(

#32 Posted by gamebreakerz__ (5120 posts) -
Your argument is totally flawed because the vast majority of PC gamers also own at least one console, where as the vast majority of console gamers do not have a decent gaming PC. Maybe that's because when they get one they realize how stupid they were not to? The vast majority of quality games nowadays are multiplat, which are 9/10 vastly superior on the PC. So I'll play all those on the PC, and the vast array of exclusives, then when occasionally a console game comes along I want then I'll get it. I have that option, you don't. Deal with it.
#33 Posted by Zaibach (13457 posts) -

The PC is a very good machine to have a round, but by no means essential. Consoles are currently in the zeitgeist.

I fear TC may have been listening too much to the exaggerrated ramblings of the die hards.... dont do that

#34 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (19818 posts) -
Really useless thread. All you basically said is only just opinion.
#35 Posted by GamerwillzPS (8530 posts) -

:lol:

#36 Posted by lostrib (39145 posts) -

The PC is a very good machine to have a round, but by no means essential. Consoles are currently in the zeitgeist.

I fear TC may have been listening too much to the exaggerrated ramblings of the die hards.... dont do that

Zaibach

Actually in this day and age a PC of some form is generally essential in most developed contries. Also, PC gaming has been on the rise now

#37 Posted by o0squishy0o (2772 posts) -

Usually I would agree with the list of console exclusives, however I think if you ignore the brand and go for the actual game itself, honestly the PC does offer the better selection of everything bar fighting games and possibly eastern RPGS.

For sure if you throw names at the argument of "you do not have zelda", well then ofcourse the PC won't have it. However from my experience of playing some zelda games and watching them, they are very similiar to Mario games which is basically a very stable formula which produces good games and sometimes "great" games. Zelda I think suffers from one masterpiece syndrome to which no other zelda game ever seems to stack up.

Also more importantly I would say that the combinded effort of consoles is rather stagnent. I just opened up steam and the advertised games are:

Sin Mora

ss_8f29128eb7f42cbdf6796ce219faf4cfc6464

Farm Simulator:

ss_273d3dfdd878c260c22bef556ca59c8bfbfd5

Thinking about it I wont post loads more pictures but just list the games :P.

F1 Race Stars.

Call Of Duty Black OPs 2

Natural Selection

Puddle

XCOM

Hitman Absoulution

Chivalry

Towns

Fly'N

Chaos on Deponia

Dishonored

Borderlands 2

Football Manager 2013

Don't Starve.

Some of those are multiplats, but those are the games that are mainstreamed advertised, as in, this is the PCs equivelant of a GAME/Gamestation. With consoles there is little of the smaller budgeted games that are advertised in such a way. Also all the games that are multiplats, on PC you get the far suppior playing environment.

#38 Posted by Zaibach (13457 posts) -

[QUOTE="Zaibach"]

lostrib

Actually in this day and age a PC of some form is generally essential in most developed contries. Also, PC gaming has been on the rise now

I was refering to PC gaming, not about the persistance of information in the digital age in developing countries

#39 Posted by milannoir (1563 posts) -

Of course there are lots of good games on consoles. Still, PC is by far the best single platform. Also, this :

many of them being real time strategy titles, shooters and a plethora of multiplats also available on consoles TheOldOlder

as well as most of what the TC said proves he has no idea what PC gaming is about.

#40 Posted by rilpas (8222 posts) -

So PC gaming consists of shooters and RTS games according to the TC?

yeah let's forget all the WRPGs, MMORPGS, MMOFPS, 2D Platformers and simulators :roll:

#41 Posted by Lucianu (9489 posts) -

You're an idiot, or a branch of idiot called attention whores, also known as trolls. Reserve more time thinking before using your hands to type another cliche uninformed post against PC gaming, these have ben trashed a million times already.

Generalizing bullsh*t, in particular, such as your post has ben correctedto death, tho ofcourse those that want to live in ignorance cannot be helped.

#42 Posted by adamosmaki (9686 posts) -

1. Not everyone has either the money or time to invest in more than one gaming platform so you choose either a pc or a console depending on the games you play more ( say you play more 3rd person and fighting games you go console , you play more strategy and WRPG you go pc )

2. Pc has more exclusives than a single console ( and if you consider backwards compatibility then the amount of games on pc is higher than all current gen consoles )

3. I hate when people say pc only has RTS and shooters. Have you seen the exclusives on pc the last years ? there are from 2d platformers to turn based strategy to Wrpgs to adventures to driving to shooters to MMORPG to dungeon crawlers ( hey legend of grimmrock put to shame alot of big budget AAA games ) Even if you only include AA+ games there is more variety than consoles

4. Pc gaming for people who dont have alot of money can be a bliss as long as they past the initial $600-800 build cost. The amount of sales on Steam/gamersgate/greenmangaming/GOG and other DD services is staggering. Then there are alot of free to play games , there are older games companies release for free ( a recent great example is battlefield 1942 EA released for free ) . Finally the amount of mods for games such as skyrim can extent your gameplay time with said games multiple times hence decrease the needing to buy newer games

5. Finally i hate when people say real simulators and bring Forza and Gran Turismo. Both great games but real simulators are not. They are a good mix of arcade and simulator and both great games on their own right . If you want racing simulators you go on Pc. You cant find games such as iracing or Gtr or rfactor on consoles

So here are enough reasons to be pc only gamer. I'm sure there are alot of reasons to be a console only player as well but i will let console only owners to list them

#43 Posted by DraugenCP (8477 posts) -

I say, what a ghastly thread.

#44 Posted by trugs26 (5666 posts) -

You're an idiot, or a branch of idiot called attention whores, also known as trolls. Reserve more time thinking before using your hands to type another cliche uninformed post against PC gaming, these have ben trashed a million times already.

Generalizing bullsh*t, in particular, such as your post has ben correctedto death, tho ofcourse those that want to live in ignorance cannot be helped.

Lucianu

What is there to correct? People play franchises that they're interested in; if they're not on the PC, then the PC isn't for them. That's basically what he said, and what's wrong with that? Why would you correct such a thing?

#45 Posted by iamrob7 (2138 posts) -

TheOldOlder

Potentially the most ill informed poster on this board right now, which is quite an achievement. Bewildering stupidity.

#46 Posted by kraken2109 (13125 posts) -

tl;dr version:

'Xbox and PS3 have exclusive games'

Hate to break it to you TC, but the PC has more exclusive games.

#47 Posted by Lucianu (9489 posts) -

What is there to correct? People play franchises that they're interested in; if they're not on the PC, then the PC isn't for them. That's basically what he said, and what's wrong with that? Why would you correct such a thing?

trugs26

Nothing is wrong with the painfully obvious stated amongst his needlessly long post (which could be summed up in one, small sentence), by generalizing bullsh*t i meant the view he has on the worthwile genres/benefits to get a gaming PC for, which is ridiculously missinformed.

#48 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25155 posts) -
Only Nintendo exclusives matters, the rest are not worthy and you should get a PC.
#49 Posted by Peredith (2310 posts) -

I just finished Halo 4, which took me 7 hours. Hmmm, nope, nothing else to play on consoles. Back to PC gaming :cool:

#50 Posted by trugs26 (5666 posts) -

[QUOTE="trugs26"]

Lucianu

Nothing is wrong with the painfully obvious stated amongst his needlessly long post (which could be summed up in one, small sentence), by generalizing bullsh*t i meant the view he has on the worthwile genres/benefits to get a gaming PC for, which is ridiculously missinformed.

"for games, create a steam account, origin, gamefly account and purchase a plentiful of exclusive PC games both retail and digitally, many of them being real time strategy titles, shooters and a plethora of multiplats also available on consoles"

To be fair, he didn't say what was worthwhile. And the benefits are accuate and I'm sure he wasn't be exhaustive; so there is more to it than that. So I don't really think it's ridiculouslymisinformed. Maybe a little general, but it was aside his point.

I agree that it is stating the obvious though. Although that's System Wars for ya. And sometimes you need a dose of the obvious with the amount of blind fanboys on these boards :P