The PC is the superior gaming platform - Definitive Edition

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1101 mikhail
Member since 2003 • 2697 Posts

@Cranler said:

God of War is worth 50 short pc exclusives.

oh lol, Cranler. You just pull the most random figures out of nowhere and completely ignore everything I pointed out about the inherent subjectivity of your points. Do you even know what subjective means?

Also, please stop cluttering up the thread with excessively long quote trees or I'm going to have a moderator step in and instruct you to stop. It's in the rules - trim them down or please stop posting. Thanks.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1102  Edited By mikhail
@Cranler said:

@04dcarraher said:

@Cranler:

lol a new low avoiding the facts

Maybe the bench I linked was done in a more demanding section of the game.

Wow...how can anyone argue with this infallible logic?

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1103 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@mikhail said:

@Cranler said:

oh lol, Cranler. You just pull the most random figures out of nowhere and completely ignore everything I pointed out about the inherent subjectivity of your points. Do you even know what subjective means?

Also, please stop cluttering up the thread with excessively long quote trees or I'm going to have a moderator step in and instruct you to stop. It's in the rules - trim them down or please stop posting. Thanks.

You can't argue with sales facts. Madden sells 1 million + copies a year. So yeah it's a fact that the general gaming public would choose Madden over those niche titles that sell 10,000 copies a piece.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#1104 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

Ok so lets see:

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Now by that we can see that not everyone has the PCs to run games at 1080p or even run games like TW3 or Star Citizen at all the glorious screens all the PC snowflakes have been posting.

So, yeah...I think there needs to be an * by all screens posted from now on.

So at most....50% of the master race is actually master....everyone else is below a peasant. Such variety in PC...your whole platform is a melting pot of who the **** knows if PC can run it.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#1105  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@Cranler said:

What facts. I linked the Mafia bench. Maybe the bench I linked was done in a more demanding section of the game.

30 fps average means 20-40 or 25-35 while locked 30 means 30 period.

lol that test does not state anything besides fps and low preset... yet you make up the excuse that "your bench maybe done in a more demanding section" yet a well respected review site shows a totally different result with higher resolution with high setting with higher average fps then 360 with a minimum of 29 fps.... With a wide ranged benchmark in areas of indoor and out door combat, driving, and a couple of cinematic scenes ten minutes long. troll harder

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1106  Edited By lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@Cranler said:

@mikhail said:

@Cranler said:

You think a $5 game that takes 2 hours to complete should be counted as equal to a game like Madden?

I don't assume to tell others which games are "more important" - some people only play short indie games, some people only play Madden. It's entirely subjective, and no one appointed you to determine for everyone else what is important and what isn't.

Most people would pick Madden over 5 random pc exclusive budget titles. I'm simply speaking for the majority.

you speak for no one

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1107  Edited By mikhail

@Cranler said:

@mikhail said:

@Cranler said:

You can't argue with sales facts. Madden sells 1 million + copies a year. So yeah it's a fact that the general gaming public would choose Madden over those niche titles that sell 10,000 copies a piece.

It sold a lot of copies and the reviews were generally poor for Madden 25 - What does that tell you about the millions of people that buy it every year?

Yeah but you were talking about quality of games and "AAA" vs whatever else...now you're changing that to sales figures? Keep on moving those goal posts Cranler, it won't change that PC still beats any console, even your mythical "all consoles as one platform" nonsense.

Remember, McDonald's sells billions upon billions of hamburgers. That doesn't make them the best hamburgers in the world.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1108  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

360 came out ten years ago. Who gives a **** about 360?

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1109 mikhail

@Heirren said:

360 came out ten years ago. Who gives a **** about 360?

Cranler

Dasein808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1110 Dasein808
Member since 2008 • 839 Posts
@lawlessx said:

you speak for no one

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1111  Edited By Cranler

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Ok so lets see:

Now by that we can see that not everyone has the PCs to run games at 1080p or even run games like TW3 or Star Citizen at all the glorious screens all the PC snowflakes have been posting.

So at most....50% of the master race is actually master....everyone else is below a peasant. Such variety in PC...your whole platform is a melting pot of who the **** knows if PC can run it.

Yep, in fact the most popular pc game is a shooter that looks like it's from the 90's

Dasein808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1112  Edited By Dasein808
@Cranler said:

It's called lcd appeal.

There are studios with actual artistic visions and a desire to push boundaries, and then there are the borg publishers; only interested in the "bottom line" and assimilating the next new hot studio.

The borg rely on: number crunching, suits, and demographics to chart their future course.

It's not that the artistic/boundary pushing studios don't want a ROI for their labor, but more that they're willing to risk it in an effort to realize their vision. Unfortunately, the non-borg devs are also typically inhibited in their ability to realize their vision by lack of finances. Kickstarter and other similar services are helping to bridge that gap.

Your Madden example, along with FIFA, NBA Live, NHL, NCAA, MLB, etc. is exactly what ruined EA and shifted their focus to consoles and sequelization over creation of new IPs / the interests of the shareholders over the studios' ambitions.

The former studios that produced: Archon: The Light and the Dark, Lords of Conquest, Realm of Impossibility, One on One: Dr. J vs. Larry Bird, The Bard's Tale, etc. are ghosts in the shadow of the borg publisher EA became.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1113  Edited By mikhail

@Cranler said:

Yep, in fact the most popular pc game is a shooter that looks like it's from the 90's

Dude...what? Where are you even getting that from?

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1114 Cranler

@04dcarraher said:

@Cranler said:

What facts. I linked the Mafia bench. Maybe the bench I linked was done in a more demanding section of the game.

lol that test does not state anything besides fps and low preset... yet you make up the excuse that "your bench maybe done in a more demanding section" yet a well respected review site shows a totally different result with higher resolution with high setting with higher average fps then 360 with a minimum of 29 fps.... With a wide ranged benchmark in areas of indoor and out door combat, driving, and a couple of cinematic scenes ten minutes long. troll harder

Every other bench in that review is at 1280x1024.

And again you brought up the 430 after I said cards with less than 512mb vram besides the 8800 gts will have trouble. What's the 430 got to do with that? And how does the performance a card that released 5 years after the 360 mean anything?

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1115  Edited By mikhail

@Cranler: Can you please, PLEASE just drop the discussion of old ass hardware that no one cares about except for you? We're talking about modern gaming PCs vs modern consoles, not last generation obsolete hardware.

Update your arguments or please excuse yourself and move on to some other topic.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1116 Cranler

@Dasein808 said:
@Cranler said:

It's called lcd appeal.

You do realize that winning a game at the higher difficulty levels in Madden takes a ton of skill right?

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1117 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

@Cranler said:

@mikhail said:

@Cranler said:

and Minecraft sold 54 million, so I guess they like cheaply made games even more.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1118  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Ok so lets see:

So, all this being said... Can you automatically infer that any individual here is using a subpar PC? Does it subtract from their point? Furthermore, does it really matter? Yes, many individuals do not run top of the line PCs, but many don't really have to. If you wish to do a full analysis of PC hardware based on the survey from Steam, then feel free to do so, otherwise stick a broom up your arse and sweep the floor on the way out.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1120 Cranler

@soulitane said:

@Cranler said:

@mikhail said:

@Cranler said:

and Minecraft sold 54 million, so I guess they like cheaply made games even more.

Minecraft isn't a niche title. Post sales of all the 2013 indies and we'll see how many of them it takes to match Maddens sales.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1121  Edited By Cranler

@mikhail said:

@Cranler said:

Dude...what? Where are you even getting that from?

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1122 RoboCopISJesus
Member since 2004 • 2225 Posts

@Cranler said:
@RoboCopISJesus said:
@Cranler said:A game like Madden is worth 10 of those niche budget games,

In your opinion.

IMO a game like Tycoon or Sims is worth 50 short arcade titles that also litter console libraries. An RTS or TBS is worth 5x movie games. A MMO is worth 15x a sports game.

To each their own.

God of War is worth 50 short pc exclusives. What is a movie game? MMO's will soon be commonplace on console as well as self published indies.

WoW is worth 100 generic corridor action games. LoL or Dota2 are worth 200 Movie-Games. Divinity is worth 500 XBL/PSN Arcade titles.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1123 lundy86_4

@Cranler said:

Out of interest, what is this compared against?

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1124 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

@Cranler said:

@soulitane said:

@Cranler said:

@mikhail said:

@Cranler said:

Minecraft isn't a niche title. Post sales of all the 2013 indies and we'll see how many of them it takes to match Maddens sales.

It once was niche. My statement still stands true, your other statement is irrelevant, clearly minecraft shows that people want cheaply made games over big budget titles.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1125  Edited By mikhail

@Cranler: You said it was "The most popular game on PC"....it isn't. That's one of the most popular shooters...in Asia. And nowhere else. It isn't even on Steam for fucks sake.

Do you just Google things and take the first result and paste it in as your argument without really knowing what you're talking about at all? That's sure what it seems like.

Fucking fail.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1126  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@Cranler said:

@04dcarraher said:

@Cranler said:

Every other bench in that review is at 1280x1024.

And again you brought up the 430 after I said cards with less than 512mb vram besides the 8800 gts will have trouble. What's the 430 got to do with that? And how does the performance a card that released 5 years after the 360 mean anything?

the GT 430 proves a gpu 2x weaker with a gimped memory architecture is able to play skyrim beyond what the 360 can do. the amount of vram has very little to do with this weak gpu being able to play the game, the lack of memory bandwidth and only 4 rops really hurts this gpu's performance. 8800GT can play Skyrim 45 fps average all on high at 1680x1050 same resolution the GT 430 was tested on but medium with 35 fps.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1127 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

@Cranler said:

@04dcarraher said:

@Cranler:

Actually locked 30 means that the max it can achieve is 30 not that it's always at 30. The 360 version did have some dips in the mid 20's, just check the DF videos.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1128  Edited By RoboCopISJesus

@Cranler said:

Just because McDonalds are the worlds most popular Hamburgers doesn't mean Hamburgers suck.

I'm not sure how this refutes the OP or the current fact (via data) that PC is the definitive gaming platform.

• PC currently has nearly all multiplats, and they play better on it. In other words, Gaming is better on PC atm.
  • PC has the most exclusives. 3-4x than any single console. (AAA-AA ones). If you take out "2 hour indy" games, it still has more than 1 console at a time. So still first place. But how is this fair, as consoles have tons of 2-4 hour arcade/dlc games and non-games.
  • Best online. Mods, quicker patches and updates, longer life-span of games, more users.
  • Best competitive scene.
  • Best gfx/performance. This one is funny because you mentioned gfx in the quoted post.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1129 Cranler

@lundy86_4 said:

@Cranler said:

Out of interest, what is this compared against?

It says at the bottom that it beat LoL last year.

@mikhail said:

@Cranler: You said it was "The most popular game on PC"....it isn't. That's one of the most popular shooters...in Asia. And nowhere else.

China’s CrossFire shooter is bigger than League of Legends and World of Tanks

http://venturebeat.com/2014/01/15/chinas-crossfire-is-bigger-than-league-of-legends-and-world-of-tanks/

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1130 lundy86_4

@Cranler said:

It says at the bottom that it beat LoL last year.

You said it was the most popular PC game...

@Cranler said:

Where is the evidence that it was the most popular PC game? All i've seen is that it was the most popular F2P game...

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1131  Edited By mikhail

@Cranler: It's China...they mainly play games in internet cafes. It makes sense that the most popular shooter in China would not look that great, it HAS to run on low-end hardware. Chinese gamers don't even typically own consoles, let alone high end gaming PCs. It's a completely different market. That game is virtually unknown outside of Asia, it's a mischaracterization to call it "The most popular PC game" when I guarantee you hardly any people in the US have ever even heard of it, let alone played it.

Thanks for pointing out that the PC completely dominates the market in China, though. PC > Console.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1132  Edited By Cranler

@glez13 said:

@Cranler said:

@04dcarraher said:

@Cranler:

Actually locked 30 means that the max it can achieve is 30 not that it's always at 30. The 360 version did have some dips in the mid 20's, just check the DF videos.

Dips for a second once or twice throughout the entire video. With no lock the average would obviously be well above 30. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuOBSSabBU0

Dasein808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1133  Edited By Dasein808
@Cranler said:

You do realize that winning a game at the higher difficulty levels in Madden takes a ton of skill right?

Nope.

It's one part skill one part player stats.

I still remember the days of Thurman Thomas dominance on the SEGA Genesis.

What does this have to do with anything?

Oh, that's right, you can't address my points, so you're trying to change the subject ... again.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1134  Edited By RoboCopISJesus

Thx for that article Cranler....So many F2P choices and genres, all with tons of players!....all while having the most multiplats and great exclusives!

Truly the definitive platform.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1135  Edited By mikhail

@Cranler said:

Dips for a second once or twice throughout the entire video. With no lock the average would obviously be well above 30

How do you know that? Here you go again, stating your opinion as if it were a fact. What you should have said was, "With no lock I think the average would be well above 30."

Avatar image for WolfgarTheQuiet
WolfgarTheQuiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 6

#1136 WolfgarTheQuiet
Member since 2010 • 483 Posts

I play PC and console. All equal to me. maybe cause i dont care about graphics that much.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1137  Edited By Cranler

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@Cranler said:

Just because McDonalds are the worlds most popular Hamburgers doesn't mean Hamburgers suck.

I'm not sure how this refutes the OP or the current fact (via data) that PC is the definitive gaming platform.

• PC currently has nearly all multiplats, and they play better on it. In other words, Gaming is better on PC atm.
  • PC has the most exclusives. 3-4x than any single console. (AAA-AA ones). If you take out "2 hour indy" games, it still has more than 1 console at a time. So still first place. But how is this fair, as consoles have tons of 2-4 hour arcade/dlc games and non-games.
  • Best online. Mods, quicker patches and updates, longer life-span of games, more users.
  • Best gfx/performance. This one is funny because you mentioned gfx in the quoted post.

Play better if you have the hardware which many don't

1 console vs pc is unfair

Depends on the game. CoD and BF have more players on console.

The most popular pc games have outdated graphics

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1138 RoboCopISJesus

So we're back to F2P, MMO, and MOBA don't count. This is so 2013 bait.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1139  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

lol@artistic vision of indie titles.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1140 mikhail

@Heirren said:

But then a game like Flower or Noby Noby Boy comes out and Sony fanboys the world over are just going googoo over how artistic and indie they are. Hypocritical.

Dasein808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1141 Dasein808
@Heirren said:

Lol at millenial peasants lapping up sequels and predefined genres.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1142 RoboCopISJesus

@Cranler said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@Cranler said:

Play better if you have the hardware which many don't

1 console vs pc is unfair

Depends on the game. CoD and BF have more players on console.

The most popular pc games have outdated graphics

Please be a troll. You didn't even try to refute any of that. You just threw out diarrhea.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1143 Cranler

@mikhail said:

@Cranler: It's China...they mainly play games in internet cafes. It makes sense that the most popular shooter in China would not look that great, it HAS to run on low-end hardware. Chinese gamers don't even typically own consoles, let alone high end gaming PCs. It's a completely different market. That game is virtually unknown outside of Asia, it's a mischaracterization to call it "The most popular PC game" when I guarantee you hardly any people in the US have ever even heard of it, let alone played it.

Thanks for pointing out that the PC completely dominates the market in China, though. PC > Console.

Sources on the cafes please.

Consoles were banned in China from 2000 to early this year. That's possibly the reason why pc gaming revenue has surpassed consoles. China's population is about 4x that of the U.S.

So you say the Asian market is different from the western market huh? So we can't do a direct comparison? So it's ok to do a direct comparison of pc vs one console even though the console market is very different from pc but we can't call Crossfire the most popular pc game because it's popular in a different market. LOL!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1144 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@mikhail said:

@Heirren said:

But then a game like Flower or Noby Noby Boy comes out and Sony fanboys the world over are just going googoo over how artistic and indie they are. Hypocritical.

Flower blows. One of the most atrocious "games" to come out in the last 20 years. Same goes for Limbo and many others. ...Never heard of Noby Noby Boy.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1145 lundy86_4

@Cranler said:

Sources on the cafes please.

Sources on Crossfire being the most popular PC game... I only found it to be the most popular F2P game.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1146  Edited By RoboCopISJesus

@Heirren said:

@mikhail said:

@Heirren said:

Flower blows. One of the most atrocious "games" to come out in the last 20 years. Same goes for Limbo and many others. ...Never heard of Noby Noby Boy.

if you take out xbl/psn arcade titles their library's shrink quite a bit. Do the same to PC and it still will probably have more than 1 console.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1147 mikhail

I love how Cranler pulls random "facts" out of his ass, but then when anyone else says anything he demands sources. This is too good.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1148  Edited By mikhail

@Heirren said:

@mikhail said:

@Heirren said:

Looks like most people don't share your opinion.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1149 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@mikhail said:

@Heirren said:

@mikhail said:

@Heirren said:

Looks like most people don't share your opinion.

That says nothing. Flower ain't a fucking game. Flower is some device for aging women to destress themselves at health food stores.

It is funny you bring this up in this very thread, because it is exactly what is WRONG with the industry and the current crop of popular consoles. These guys have somehow convinced the consumer what is worth playing, what deserves recognition, and in general--what is "cool". Imo most of the actual gameplay at the moment is on Nintendo and the more niche PC titles. The "art" in the form of games isn't just the visual aesthetic, it is the marriage of control in relation to what happens on screen. Games like Mario 64 are in museums for this very reason--it pushed the boundaries of design in its given medium. That game is more "art" than these gimmicky "indie" games.

Avatar image for WolfgarTheQuiet
WolfgarTheQuiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 6

#1150  Edited By WolfgarTheQuiet
Member since 2010 • 483 Posts

I play games i like not the games that a trendy and mainstream by sale figures. CoD sells millions, it does not mean its good. Its a simple online run and gun and thats all there is to it, no depth or innovation besides minor things, like there is less bugs in this years version and maybe few less hackers LOL.