The Order 1886, aspect ratio, and resolution.

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by bfmv2007 (279 posts) -

Found an interesting article regarding aspect ration and resolution for The Order 1886. From my understanding, rather the developers choose 800p, or 1080p, the game will still feature the black bars, aka letterbox, around the screen. If they choose standard 16:9 aspect ratio, rather it be 1080p or 800p, it would still be letterbox format, by the developers choice. The field of view would be more "closed in" and not have as wide of a viewing angle, as a 2.40:1 would. The developers are aiming for 2.40:1 aspect ratio. In other words, the letterbox format isn't going away no matter what aspect ratio, or resolution the game is rendered in.

As far as resolution goes, 1080p would mean no MSAA, which would mean more jaggies. Less jaggies = a more pleasing to look at. So I'm hoping for 800p 2.40:1 with 4xMSAA. Here is the article for anyone that might be interested. http://www.gearnuke.com/order-1886-169-vs-2401-aspect-ratio-one-better/

#2 Edited by way2funny (4569 posts) -

They are putting black bars and low FOV just so they can say they are running at a high resolution. 1080p with LARGE black bars means its not 1920x1080, more like ~1920x880 assuming 200 pixels height per black bar. Or even lower than that. It is dirty that they are putting black bars and low FOV just to say "look, next gen graphics at a high resolution". Low FOV and black bars was certainly just for faster rendering. Lower FOV and black bars = smaller scene and less pixels to render

#3 Posted by PinkieWinkie (1364 posts) -

I can't wait for the gameplay preview embargo to lift and shut all the haters up

#4 Edited by Nonstop-Madness (9466 posts) -

They are putting black bars and low FOV just so they can say they are running at a high resolution. 1080p with LARGE black bars means its not 1920x1080, more like ~1520x1080 assuming 200 pixels height per black bar. Or even lower than that. It is dirty that they are putting black bars and low FOV just to say "look, next gen graphics at a high resolution". Low FOV and black bars was certainly just for faster rendering. Lower FOV and black bars = smaller scene and less pixels to render

Width x Height. The game runs at 1920 x 800.

The black bars are obviously a design choice - they even retain the full width resolution of 1080p. If they really needed to lower the resolution of the game, why the hell not have the game run at 1600 by 900 (a native 16:9 resolution)? 2.4:1 aspect ratio allows Ready at Dawn to pull off a distinctive look. That being said, it's impossible to understand why they actually chose that aspect ration because we haven't seen the game running.

#5 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (6052 posts) -

"Obviously a design choice". Didn't Ryse get a ton of flack when it was changed to 900p for reasons other than what cows wanted to hear?

#6 Posted by Gue1 (9416 posts) -

I don't like black bars. Especially on the TV's we have these days that have such an awful screen uniformity (LCD/LED in particular) compared to CRT's and it's incredibly distracting. Then we have the fact that you need an even bigger screen to be able to appreciate the detail...

#7 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (6052 posts) -

Oh and while the dev for this game (whatever under the rock studio) is making excuses, I guess the 30fps is a "artistic decision" too.

I don't like the black bars by any means, therefore have cancelled my pre order.

#8 Edited by Epic-gamerz (196 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha: Huge difference. Order is actually more taxing running with Black bars than to go full 1080p so the developers are actually choosing Black bar look + MSAA which is more technically demanding than to just run the game at 1080p with no AA no Black bars and less technically demanding. Ryse on the other hand, lowered the resolution purely to save on performance.

#9 Posted by donalbane (16178 posts) -

Black bars really, really suck if you own a plasma.

#10 Edited by PinkieWinkie (1364 posts) -

@Foxbatalpha: The differences are apparent. For one, The order will look leagues ahead of Ryse and be far more technically superior. And two, The order will be locked at 30 fps, and not dropping into the teens like Ryse.

#11 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (6052 posts) -

@Foxbatalpha: The differences are apparent. For one, The order will look leagues ahead of Ryse and be far more technically superior. And two, The order will be locked at 30 fps, and not dropping into the teens like Ryse.

It's so far off I think what you mean to say is "I wish or I hope it will look better than Ryse" Going by the fog covered CGI trailer, that wont even beat Ryse.

Hey you can always dream though.

#12 Edited by PinkieWinkie (1364 posts) -

@foxbatalpha: A 40 minute gameplay presentation will be released on the 18th. After that is released, prepare to eat crow.

#13 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

@PinkieWinkie said:

It's so far off I think what you mean to say is "I wish or I hope it will look better than Ryse" Going by the fog covered CGI trailer, that wont even beat Ryse.

Xbone will never be able to compete graphically and one tech demo(Ryse) doesn't change that fact.

#14 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (6052 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@PinkieWinkie said:

Xbone will never be able to compete graphically and one tech demo(Ryse) doesn't change that fact.

That tech demo you speak of is the console graphic KING. The facts are making your argument look silly.

#15 Posted by edwardecl (1970 posts) -

I don't know for what reason they are choosing that aspect ratio, quite annoying but not the end of the world. I guess they are trying to frame the picture like a film, I would rather they dump the MSAA and put in FXAA or similar that is more than acceptable to me. People are assuming it's for performance, but there are a lot of other things that could be tweaked, it's not like they have to save any ram.

As for Ryse... it's not exactly high up there on the hard to beat list, not saying it's bad graphically but it does tend to cheat a bit with the pre-rendered cut scenes made to look like gameplay. I know lots of other games do the same thing for example Uncharted on the PS3 to hide loading/cache, but when you hear people mentioning it looks great, what they are referring to is a video... what I'm interested in is the game play graphics

#16 Posted by Nonstop-Madness (9466 posts) -

"Obviously a design choice". Didn't Ryse get a ton of flack when it was changed to 900p for reasons other than what cows wanted to hear?

My whole point is, if Ready at Dawn wanted to hide the resolution, like Crytek, then why wouldn't they just downgrade the resolution to a proper 16:9 resolution like 1600 by 900? Why put up with the black bars? Why change the dynamics of the camera?

#17 Edited by way2funny (4569 posts) -

@way2funny said:

They are putting black bars and low FOV just so they can say they are running at a high resolution. 1080p with LARGE black bars means its not 1920x1080, more like ~1520x1080 assuming 200 pixels height per black bar. Or even lower than that. It is dirty that they are putting black bars and low FOV just to say "look, next gen graphics at a high resolution". Low FOV and black bars was certainly just for faster rendering. Lower FOV and black bars = smaller scene and less pixels to render

The black bars are obviously a design choice - they even retain the full width resolution of 1080p. If they really needed to lower the resolution of the game, why the hell not have the game run at 1600 by 900 (a native 16:9 resolution)? 2.4:1 aspect ratio allows Ready at Dawn to pull off a distinctive look. That being said, it's impossible to understand why they actually chose that aspect ration because we haven't seen the game running.

Adding those black bars CUTS down the resolution to something lower than than 1080p. I made a mistake in my previous statement. It will be 1920 by something lower than 1080 because they are NOT rendering the game at full 1080p, then adding black bars. They are artificially changing the resolution

#18 Edited by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

The difference there is that 900p (1600x900) is still a 16:9 aspect ratio, like 1080p. So, when people play it on a 1080p TV, it still fills the whole screen, just with less detail than full 1080p would. The resolution they're using for The Order is 1920x800, so it doesn't fill the whole screen. It's still 1920 pixels wide (just like 1080p), so the level of detail is the same as 1080p, just with the veritcal resolution cut, so there's black bars, which gives it the cinematic ultra-wide-screen appearance, like most action and/or drama movies. Like it or not (and I can't say that I do), it's clearly a design choice. If they needed to cut pixels for performance, there are tons of resolution options between 900p and 1080p they could have used, which would still fill your whole screen on a 1080p TV.

#19 Posted by edwardecl (1970 posts) -

@Nonstop-Madness: Well there is one reason, scaling a picture is a really shitty thing to do if you can avoid it unless you like a blurry image.

#20 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (3711 posts) -

Ryse isn't running 4xMSAA.

#21 Edited by ronvalencia (15109 posts) -

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Ryse uses SMAA (Subpixel Morphological Anti-Aliasing) method at 1920x1080 pixels.

http://vimeo.com/31247769 (this video link contains AA comparisons against SMAA)

"SMAA is a new image-based, post-processing antialiasing technique, that offers practical solutions to all the common problems of existing filter-based antialiasing algorithms. It yields better pattern detection to handle sharp geometric features and diagonal shapes. Our edge detection scheme exploits local contrast features, along with accelerated and more precise distance searches, which allows to better recognize the patterns to antialias. Our method is capable of reconstructing subpixel features, comparable to 4x multisampling, and is fully customizable, so that every feature can be turned on or off, adjusting to particular needs. We propose four different presets, from the basic level to adding spatial multisampling and temporal supersampling. Even this full-fledged version achieves performances that are on-par with the fastest approaches available, while yielding superior quality"

http://www.examiner.com/article/ryse-on-xbox-one-officially-900p-upscaled-ps4-would-be-same-says-crytek

"Ryse runs at 1600x900 for best [performance and resolution]," he stated on Twitter. "[W]e apply our upscaler for [anti-aliasing], framebuffer native 1080p."

#22 Posted by Jankarcop (8893 posts) -

low resolution and low fps,

for that cinematic feel.

#23 Edited by CrashNBurn281 (391 posts) -

I am sure the game will look very good. Seriously though, black bars?!

They are annoying as hell. I hate watching movies, or television that have them.

If it's for artistic reasons, the person who put it in needs a new job. If its for performance, reduce an asset in game.

#24 Posted by Heil68 (43244 posts) -

Sony sure is pushing the envelope with it's games. Makes sense since the PS4 is the world's most powerful video game console to have ever been created in the history of video games.

#25 Edited by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@PinkieWinkie said:

That tech demo you speak of is the console graphic KING. The facts are making your argument look silly.

No the fact that every game available on both platforms is superior on PS4 proves the Xflop is overpriced garbage in comparison. Ryse is some marvel at 900p with framerate drops into low 20's/high teens. If I was a lem I would be ashamed to even talk about that game, but it is the only damage control you have against all the bad news. Next up is Thief then Ground Zeroes...

#26 Edited by blamix99 (1620 posts) -

Oh and while the dev for this game (whatever under the rock studio) is making excuses, I guess the 30fps is a "artistic decision" too.

I don't like the black bars by any means, therefore have cancelled my pre order.

why would you get this game? you hate the ps4 so much.. stop lying about cancelling your preorder. LOL everyone knows you here

#27 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (6052 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

and you could notice this by playing it?

#28 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9376 posts) -

there sure seems to be alot of talk for a game no one know anything about or has seen gameplay of made by former PSP game devs...

#29 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (6052 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@PinkieWinkie said:

No the fact that every game available on both platforms is superior on PS4 proves the Xflop is overpriced garbage in comparison. Ryse is some marvel at 900p with framerate drops into low 20's/high teens. If I was a lem I would be ashamed to even talk about that game, but it is the only damage control you have against all the bad news. Next up is Thief then Ground Zeroes...

I wouldn't expect you to talk about Ryse but you are dodging the fact that it was crowned king by GS and IGN. Regardless of the framerates (which you wouldn't notice unless DF didn't do a bullshit test) it still is a beautiful game. You damage control consists of wishing for a bright future.

#30 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

@StrongBlackVine said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@PinkieWinkie said:

I wouldn't expect you to talk about Ryse but you are dodging the fact that it was crowned king by GS and IGN. Regardless of the framerates (which you wouldn't notice unless DF didn't do a bullshit test) it still is a beautiful game. You damage control consists of wishing for a bright future.

Yeah the framerate totally isn't noticeable. I'm sure Crytek noticed it, but decided to put together a garbage game with best visuals possible. I don't have to wish for a future because Killozone is cleaner, 1080p, never drops below 30fps despite not being completely linear like Ryse(you have the option to lock it at 30fps now) and while not being a great game it is not a complete piece of shit like Ryse. So I think Killzone looks better, it sold WAY better, and scored much higher. Maybe the next Xbox retail exclusive(wheneve that is) can actually run 1080p. Even Tomb Raider drops to 900p. Xbox supporters should just give up all graphics discussions.

#31 Edited by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

there sure seems to be alot of talk for a game no one know anything about or has seen gameplay of made by former PSP game devs...

Preemptive Damage control. Lems have nothing to look forward in the Fall but a Halo Remaster and a new flop by the makers of Fuse. Seriously I finally realized what Sunset Overdrive was the other day...and it looks terrible.

@StrongBlackVine said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@PinkieWinkie said:

Yeah the framerate totally isn't noticeable. I'm sure Crytek noticed it, but decided to put together a garbage game with best visuals possible. I don't have to wish for a future because Killozone is cleaner, 1080p, never drops below 30fps despite not being completely linear like Ryse(you have the option to lock it at 30fps now) and while not being a great game it is not a complete piece of shit like Ryse. So I think Killzone looks better, it sold WAY better, and scored much higher. Maybe the next Xbox retail exclusive(wheneve that is) can actually run 1080p. Even Tomb Raider drops to 900p. Xbox supporters should just give up all graphics discussions.

#32 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (3711 posts) -

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Yeah, Ryse was running Cevat Yerli's pixie dust and bullshit lies.

#33 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9376 posts) -

@Nengo_Flow said:

Preemptive Damage control. Lems have nothing to look forward in the Fall but a Halo Remaster and a new flop by the makers of Fuse. Seriously I finally realized what Sunset Overdrive was the other day...and it looks terrible.

No... I also talking about cows. They have been hyping this game and talking about its graphix when we havent seen nothing, and we dont know anything about the game.

I havent let my self get excited about this game since I knew that the team making it have only worked on PSP games in the past.

#34 Posted by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Yeah, Ryse was running Cevat Yerli's pixie dust and bullshit lies.

he said crysis 3 would melt down pcs,

only I had a meltdown for how head achingly awful that game is,

(ryse by default)

good graphics=/=good game

#35 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4107 posts) -

you and the big man nailed it.

basically those two areas of 1920x140 of black are really 'cheap' to render compared to the game scene.

it is still a pretty high resolution, yes - but it is sub-hd now.

#36 Edited by way2funny (4569 posts) -

@way2funny said:

Adding those black bars CUTS down the resolution to something lower than than 1080p. I made a mistake in my previous statement. It will be 1920 by something lower than 1080 because they are NOT rendering the game at full 1080p, then adding black bars. They are artificially changing the resolution

#37 Posted by BlessedChill (676 posts) -
#38 Posted by way2funny (4569 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

The difference there is that 900p (1600x900) is still a 16:9 aspect ratio, like 1080p. So, when people play it on a 1080p TV, it still fills the whole screen, just with less detail than full 1080p would. The resolution they're using for The Order is 1920x800, so it doesn't fill the whole screen. It's still 1920 pixels wide (just like 1080p), so the level of detail is the same as 1080p, just with the veritcal resolution cut, so there's black bars, which gives it the cinematic ultra-wide-screen appearance, like most action and/or drama movies. Like it or not (and I can't say that I do), it's clearly a design choice. If they needed to cut pixels for performance, there are tons of resolution options between 900p and 1080p they could have used, which would still fill your whole screen on a 1080p TV.

1600x900 = 1440000 pixels
1920x800 = 1536000 pixels

1440000*X = 1536000

X = 1.067

The Order can render 1.067 times more pixels than Ryse. Congrats cows.

#39 Edited by soulitane (13412 posts) -

I really don't understand why they don't let the user choose. We should be given some choices especially with debatable things like this.

#40 Edited by R3FURBISHED (10199 posts) -

let the developers develop and let the players play - if you don't like the way a game is being developed go out and make your own video game.

My opinion of course

#41 Edited by tymeservesfate (1508 posts) -

low resolution and low fps,

for that cinematic feel.

plus they left out multiplayer and local co op to save resources for the singleplayer...-_-

#42 Posted by Basinboy (10983 posts) -

Resolution is less important to me but settling for 30fps just hurts. Should be getting some gameplay vids once embargo lifts on Feb. 18th. Then maybe I'll get hyped.

#43 Posted by silversix_ (13904 posts) -

I will LOL at dat 8gb of GDDR5 if they release this game without any anti aliasing like seriously the fact that they considered of not using any AA made me laugh irl.

#44 Edited by hippiesanta (9767 posts) -

black bar make the view wider.... don't u get it??

#45 Edited by silversix_ (13904 posts) -

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

x4 MSAA is pretty demanding. Xbone is running on a 7770 (lol i know a joke gpu). Don't expect x4 MSAA in ANY Xbone titles unless its an HD rehash from two gens ago.

#46 Edited by Vecna (3372 posts) -

Are they charging for the black bars or are they free?

Maybe you can buy the space that is now black bars in DLC.

#47 Edited by misterpmedia (3363 posts) -

@epic-gamerz said:

@FoxbatAlpha: Huge difference. Order is actually more taxing running with Black bars than to go full 1080p so the developers are actually choosing Black bar look + MSAA which is more technically demanding than to just run the game at 1080p with no AA no Black bars and less technically demanding. Ryse on the other hand, lowered the resolution purely to save on performance.

Came here to type this basically.

Also the Order is 1:1 pixel mapping so that nothing is upscaled so even with black bars nothing about the IQ is hindered with any bullshit on board scaler like on the Xbone. The only reason Ryse looks good is because Crytek are geniuses and rewrote some of the Xbone's SDK, that's why it's unaffected by the nasty ass scaler like most of the other Xbox exclusives or multiplat versions are. Also pretty sure that the black bars are still rendered with the rest of the image so to not called it full HD is now just arguing semantics to be facetious. Ryse went for 1600X900 to save face on the drop of performance(A'la Cboat) Xbone had across the board(which is why MS are releasing an update soon to get that back) otherwise there's no reason why Crytek couldn't have pumped that out in full 1080p for how linear it was(as they touted it was at E3 or after). The Order is 1920X800 the '1920' being the important part.

#48 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16252 posts) -

Who cares that they say the game is 1920x1080 when you can only see 1920x800 ?

If they truly believe that the latter resolution gives a more cinematic feel, than they should allow us the option to switch between black bars or not to see for ourselves. Otherwise they are full of crap.

@Vecna said:

Are they charging for the black bars or are they free?

Maybe you can buy the space that is now black bars in DLC.

reminds me of this:

#49 Posted by misterpmedia (3363 posts) -

Also lol @people in here complaining about the black bars and missing features on a game they'll never buy on the console they have no intention of owning. Making it obvious guys, c'mon. Ninja troll lessons are free online.

#50 Posted by tormentos (16756 posts) -

Ryse was say be 1080p with 150k characters and was downgrade to 900p with 85k characters and still is not lock 30FPS it has drop into the low 20's.

The order was say to be 800p since the start now they have the game running on 1080p apparently they want to use MSAA which has a nasty hit on performance,so they have to chose between 1080p without MSAA or 1080p probably with FXAA,either way the games is not been upscale is native 1920x800 and that is what you get,800p with black bars or 1080p without them,also 800p has higher pixel than 900p,Ryse is upscale to 1080p.

Is full image is 1080p inside the black bars is 1920x800p the game is not upscale so you don't get any blur or artifacts usually inserted by upscaling the image.