The only next-gen system is....

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by kazrium (1544 posts) -

The PC of course! We already know this as truth, but I figured I would remind everyone again. Wars over, hermits win. See you next next-gen.

#2 Posted by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -

Dat insecurity.

#3 Posted by silversix_ (14129 posts) -

Its not next gen because it has no gens

#4 Posted by freedomfreak (39420 posts) -

yay

#5 Posted by _Matt_ (8880 posts) -

I approve of the case. Although is that dual Xeon? Seems a little overkill, for gaming at least. what you using this rig for?

#6 Posted by silversix_ (14129 posts) -

Post it on forums and say "my rig>your rig" lol

#7 Posted by kazrium (1544 posts) -

Dat insecurity.

You insecure? Shame.

#8 Edited by resevl4rlz (3275 posts) -

lmao you paid for a crap rig that will be less powerful in 6-12 months

#9 Posted by MonsieurX (29738 posts) -

lmao a console that is already outdated

#10 Posted by kazrium (1544 posts) -

Lol, you paid for a console that can NEVER be upgraded. GJ.

#11 Posted by kazrium (1544 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

I approve of the case. Although is that dual Xeon? Seems a little overkill, for gaming at least. what you using this rig for?

It is for "work".

#12 Edited by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

are you building two computers?

#13 Edited by lostrib (35080 posts) -

are you building two PCs?

#14 Posted by Jankarcop (9146 posts) -

Dat insecurity.

dat inferiority. 8 more years of fighting for 2nd place at sw.

ure so cool

#15 Posted by kazrium (1544 posts) -

@lostrib said:

are you building two PCs?

Eventually, for right now it is just one, but I did get some extra parts for my second.

#16 Posted by Ginosaji (965 posts) -

PCs don't magically get less powerful just because more powerful hardware has been released. The only differences is you have the option to upgrade every 6-12 months rather than every 5+ years.

Technically it does. It just goes through hardware generations so rapidly that the term "next gen" becomes silly. Consoles simply skip a dozen hardware generations between each console generation.

#17 Posted by resevl4rlz (3275 posts) -

@kazrium said:

@resevl4rlz said:

what console? are you talking about

#18 Posted by kazrium (1544 posts) -

@kazrium said:

@resevl4rlz said:

what console? are you talking about

Well I guess that is not exactly true, you can get a new hard drive. GJ.

#19 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4523 posts) -

ugh. optical drives. so last gen.

#20 Posted by good_sk8er7 (4321 posts) -

But I like consoles... so I don't care :/

#21 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3508 posts) -

You bore me.

#22 Posted by kazrium (1544 posts) -
#23 Edited by kazrium (1544 posts) -

LIES. Fair enough though.

#24 Edited by farrell2k (5824 posts) -

I used to like consoles, until Microsoft and Sony decided to just make PCs while calling them consoles.

#25 Edited by AMD655 (4495 posts) -

@good_sk8er7 said:

I used to like consoles, until Microsoft and Sony decided to just make PCs while calling them consoles.

#26 Posted by kazrium (1544 posts) -
#27 Posted by blamix99 (1726 posts) -

for me is

PS4>PC>Wii.u>XB1

#28 Posted by good_sk8er7 (4321 posts) -

@AMD655 said:

@farrell2k said:

@good_sk8er7 said:

Maybe truth, but I love the standardized controls (That aren't kb/m because I just don't like that.) and standardized hardware (so I can play games for years without worrying about anything.) That's just me though, I understand the allure of PC, I game on PC also, I just like consoles, and mine is outdated as fuck. Won't ever be upgraded. I might get a steambox though. I love steam :D

#29 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4523 posts) -
@kazrium said:

@CrownKingArthur said:

Lol wut.

i'm making a little joke. i respect your build/s.

i just find the optical drive totally unnecessary. install windows from a bootable usb, all the rest of the software comes through ethernet.

plus the blu ray movies ... i mean, what will i do? subscribe to a service where they mail them to me? there's a big long lag phase between when i pick and when it arrives. I could drive to a video store? all in all i find online streaming's got me covered.

i just find them pretty pointless. but maybe your specific application (work) calls for such optical drives?

#30 Posted by good_sk8er7 (4321 posts) -

@kazrium said:

@good_sk8er7 said:

LIES. Fair enough though.

Not lies. I game on PC also, butttttttt I don't really like it. See above comment.

#31 Edited by AMD655 (4495 posts) -

@AMD655 said:

@farrell2k said:

@good_sk8er7 said:

Maybe truth, but I love the standardized controls (That aren't kb/m because I just don't like that.) and standardized hardware (so I can play games for years without worrying about anything.) That's just me though, I understand the allure of PC, I game on PC also, I just like consoles, and mine is outdated as fuck. Won't ever be upgraded. I might get a steambox though. I love steam :D

Nothing wrong with your choice ;)

#32 Posted by kazrium (1544 posts) -

@kazrium said:

@CrownKingArthur said:

Lol wut.

i'm making a little joke. i respect your build/s.

i just find the optical drive totally unnecessary. install windows from a bootable usb, all the rest of the software comes through ethernet.

plus the blu ray movies ... i mean, what will i do? subscribe to a service where they mail them to me? there's a big long lag phase between when i pick and when it arrives. I could drive to a video store? all in all i find online streaming's got me covered.

i just find them pretty pointless. but maybe your specific application (work) calls for such optical drives?

Yeah, you got a good point. I do need them for the work I am doing, BUT I don't see optical drives having the greatest future. But for now, there they are.

#33 Posted by CARNAGES41 (311 posts) -

Everybody knows that PCs were made for web browsing and word applications, they are simply not powerful enough for gaming

#34 Posted by kazrium (1544 posts) -

Everybody knows that PCs were made for web browsing and word applications, they are simply not powerful enough for gaming

+1

#35 Posted by SteXmaN (394 posts) -

o7

#36 Posted by Bruin1986 (1241 posts) -

What is the point of all these "teh PC is the most powAA!!!" threads?

Everyone knows the PC is more powerful and I don't think anyone seriously thinks otherwise (at least anyone with a modicum of intelligence).

But in reality, you could give me a NASA supercomputer but unless it can play all the amazing console exclusives on it...all that power is irrelevant.

#37 Posted by kazrium (1544 posts) -

Everyone knows the PC is more powerful and I don't think anyone seriously thinks otherwise (at least anyone with a modicum of intelligence).

But in reality, you could give me a NASA supercomputer but unless it can play all the amazing console exclusives on it...all that power is irrelevant.

Funny thing is, the computers that NASA has aren't close in power to this one. Poor NASA, budget cuts =(.

#38 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38214 posts) -

While I am slightly jealous because that's a shit tonne of awesome hardware and I like the shiny shiny

But posting this on SW is dumb, you're doing nothing but trying to show off to a bunch of people that the majority don't care

#39 Posted by kazrium (1544 posts) -

While I am slightly jealous because that's a shit tonne of awesome hardware and I like the shiny shiny

But posting this on SW is dumb, you're doing nothing but trying to show off to a bunch of people that the majority don't care

The greatness is too much for you to handle. Understandable.

#40 Posted by Bruin1986 (1241 posts) -

@kazrium said:

@Bruin1986 said:

Funny thing is, the computers that NASA has aren't close in power to this one. Poor NASA, budget cuts =(.

Maybe not for playing video games, as I don't think most super computers even have GPUs (correct me if I'm wrong).

But as far as raw computational power, there are government computers probably thousands of times more powerful than that used for weather prediction, military engagement outcomes, etc.

#41 Edited by kazrium (1544 posts) -

@kazrium said:

@Bruin1986 said:

Maybe not for playing video games, as I don't think most super computers even have GPUs (correct me if I'm wrong).

But as far as raw computational power, there are government computers probably thousands of times more powerful than that used for weather prediction, military engagement outcomes, etc.

"Tianhe-2, a supercomputer developed by China’s National University of Defense Technology, retained its position as the world’s No. 1 system with a performance of 33.86 petaflop/s (quadrillions of calculations per second) on the Linpack benchmark, according to the 42nd edition of the twice-yearly TOP500 list of the world’s most powerful supercomputers."

Yes, this may be more powerful.

#42 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16686 posts) -

Good for you.

#43 Posted by PsychoLemons (2053 posts) -

More or less.

#44 Posted by kazrium (1544 posts) -

Good for you.

Thanks, coming from you that means something.

#45 Edited by CrownKingArthur (4523 posts) -

@kazrium said:

@Bruin1986 said:

@kazrium said:

@Bruin1986 said:

"Tianhe-2, a supercomputer developed by China’s National University of Defense Technology, retained its position as the world’s No. 1 system with a performance of 33.86 petaflop/s (quadrillions of calculations per second) on the Linpack benchmark, according to the 42nd edition of the twice-yearly TOP500 list of the world’s most powerful supercomputers."

lol

addendum, gpus have their uses in 'supercomputing'. people use them to decipher encrypted containers among other things. just fyi bruin.

#46 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16686 posts) -
#47 Edited by Bruin1986 (1241 posts) -

@kazrium said:

@Bruin1986 said:

@kazrium said:

@Bruin1986 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if there are classified computers that are far more powerful than that even.

#48 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38214 posts) -

@kazrium said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

Oh... you're just a douchebag then? good to know

#49 Edited by Zelda187 (721 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

All have been ahead of the curve, I agree.

#50 Edited by kazrium (1544 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

@kazrium said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

Oh... you're just a douchebag then? good to know

Thanks, coming from you..., nope doesn't mean much. Sorry.