The One Now Does Preloading

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by kuu2 (8142 posts) -

Easy Does It

The Xbox One now supports pre-loading for digital games, and Microsoft has delivered the feature ahead of schedule. At Gamescom, Microsoft announced that pre-purchasing and pre-loading would begin on Xbox One with FIFA 15 (September 26) and Forza Horizon 2 (September 30). But in fact, the feature is available today with Madden NFL 15. If you pre-purchase the game today through Xbox One you can pre-load the game so you can start playing exactly at midnight on August 26.

Though Madden NFL 15 doesn't officially launch until next week, EA Access subscribers can play it today--albeit only for 6 hours. In addition, if you're an Access member, you'll save 10 percent on the full Madden NFL 15 game, meaning you can pick it up for around $54 instead of $60.

Sony introduced pre-loading support for PlayStation 4 back in June.

Happy Days!

#2 Posted by MlauTheDaft (4633 posts) -

Better late than never. Preloading is nice for people who bother preordering.

#3 Posted by darkspineslayer (20667 posts) -

This is a feature that needs to become widely used on both consoles. Would make digital just that little bit more tempting.

Is this a widespread thing on PC yet?

#4 Posted by lostrib (44070 posts) -

Yeah, that should have been there to begin with

#5 Edited by chikenfriedrice (11337 posts) -

The One does everything

#6 Posted by MlauTheDaft (4633 posts) -

@darkspineslayer said:

This is a feature that needs to become widely used on both consoles. Would make digital just that little bit more tempting.

Is this a widespread thing on PC yet?

It's normal on Steam as far as I'm aware.

#7 Edited by Kaze_no_Mirai (11690 posts) -

Hopefully they do this for the MCC. I'd be surprised if they didn't for their probably biggest game. Usually I don't like digital copies but I feel like MCC is a game I'm going to keep playing for a very long time and would like to have access to instantly.

#8 Posted by tacoma1972 (197 posts) -

The ONE. Jack of all trades, master of none. Thats what comes to mind. It does everything well but nothing very well. Unless of course you count dropping features and changing directions. In that regard it is the bomb.

#9 Edited by tonitorsi (8658 posts) -

Thank you Sony.

#10 Posted by pyro1245 (1080 posts) -

@darkspineslayer said:

This is a feature that needs to become widely used on both consoles. Would make digital just that little bit more tempting.

Is this a widespread thing on PC yet?

Yeah I think most sufficiently-hyped games offer pre-loading. I know Diablo 3 did, it also let you play before you finished downloading the movies. I think Titanfall did.

#12 Posted by CrownKingArthur (5262 posts) -
@MlauTheDaft said:

@darkspineslayer said:

This is a feature that needs to become widely used on both consoles. Would make digital just that little bit more tempting.

Is this a widespread thing on PC yet?

It's normal on Steam as far as I'm aware.

yip. oldest instance i found was 3648 days ago, 9.99 years (2dp).

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/half-life-2-now-preloading-via-steam/1100-6105848/

#13 Posted by mems_1224 (49012 posts) -

@tacoma1972 said:

The ONE. Jack of all trades, master of none. Thats what comes to mind. It does everything well but nothing very well. Unless of course you count dropping features and changing directions. In that regard it is the bomb.

as opposed to Sony's strategy of releasing a slightly more powerful PS3 with no games?

#14 Posted by tacoma1972 (197 posts) -

Really mems. Please enlighten me as to how the ONE is such a revelation over the 360. The PS4 evolved over the PS3 in regards to technology and its hardware. The ONE is the only system I can think off that has actually devolved (dropping hardware and features to compete).

Oh and at least they made it more powerful. The ONE is even less of an upgrade over the 360 than the PS4 is too the PS3. Way to own yourself with such a great response.

#15 Posted by tacoma1972 (197 posts) -

The PS4 has more games too but lems like yourself seem to think that indies dont count.

#16 Posted by lawlessx (47349 posts) -

@darkspineslayer said:

This is a feature that needs to become widely used on both consoles. Would make digital just that little bit more tempting.

Is this a widespread thing on PC yet?

preloading has on steam and other DD outlets for ages.

#17 Posted by xhawk27 (7608 posts) -

Once DLNA is out next month or so the Xbox One will be ahead in features.

#18 Posted by cainetao11 (20292 posts) -

@chikenfriedrice said:

The One does everything

That only mattered last gen

#19 Posted by cainetao11 (20292 posts) -

@tacoma1972 said:

The ONE. Jack of all trades, master of none. Thats what comes to mind. It does everything well but nothing very well. Unless of course you count dropping features and changing directions. In that regard it is the bomb.

I think it has mastered making you hate an inanimate object well enough

#20 Posted by tacoma1972 (197 posts) -

Hey. I dont hate the object, I hate the company behind the object. Microsoft is an oppresive dated institution that I used to respect. Now all they do is ride the coat-tails of other inovators and try to catch up. They are a software company that has tried to enter the hardware business through copying products. I will have respect for Microsoft when they truly start to innovate and bring new products to the market.

#21 Posted by hehe101 (690 posts) -

@tacoma1972 said:

Hey. I dont hate the object, I hate the company behind the object. Microsoft is an oppresive dated institution that I used to respect. Now all they do is ride the coat-tails of other inovators and try to catch up. They are a software company that has tried to enter the hardware business through copying products. I will have respect for Microsoft when they truly start to innovate and bring new products to the market.

Yes because sony are so much better, especially with the PS4

#22 Posted by tacoma1972 (197 posts) -

Actually. Sony is way better. Especially with the PS4.

#23 Posted by Prawephet (373 posts) -

@mems_1224: Who are you to make fun of Sonys strategy? Better yet, why are you making fun of their strategy? Obviously it works seeing as how they've pushed twice as many consoles as Microsoft has.

#24 Edited by handssss (1901 posts) -

Now, either let people who pre-order these games digitally play them a day early or let them play on midnight according to THEIR timezone.

I'd never bother pre-loading a ps4 game because they'd just make me wait until 3 am (midnight Pacific time, but I live on the East Coast) to play it.

#25 Posted by wolverine4262 (20213 posts) -

FINALLY! This is what I was waiting for! Picking my JUAN up tomorrow.

#26 Posted by Krelian-co (13274 posts) -

@prawephet said:

@mems_1224: Who are you to make fun of Sonys strategy? Better yet, why are you making fun of their strategy? Obviously it works seeing as how they've pushed twice as many consoles as Microsoft has.

well i can answer that easily, he is a butthurt lem that post just bs about sony.

#27 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (5468 posts) -

I was hoping MS had improved the way games installed when I read the title.

#28 Posted by delta3074 (19031 posts) -

@tacoma1972 said:

Hey. I dont hate the object, I hate the company behind the object. Microsoft is an oppresive dated institution that I used to respect. Now all they do is ride the coat-tails of other inovators and try to catch up. They are a software company that has tried to enter the hardware business through copying products. I will have respect for Microsoft when they truly start to innovate and bring new products to the market.

Copying Products? care to elaborate?

#29 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (6256 posts) -
@kuu2 said:

Sony introduced pre-loading support for PlayStation 4 back in June.

Welcome to real next gen, cos it sure as fuck isn't Kinect.

#30 Posted by Bigboi500 (31642 posts) -

Too bad you guys can't pre-load Destiny. :(

#31 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (9489 posts) -

@GrenadeLauncher said:
@kuu2 said:

Sony introduced pre-loading support for PlayStation 4 back in June.

Welcome to real next gen, cos it sure as fuck isn't Kinect.

Move failed long before Kinect. Move was a disgrace. Still flicking robots I see.

#32 Posted by SecretPolice (23917 posts) -

They just keep delivering the goods, way to go MS, keep it up and an X1 will be in my future.

#33 Posted by delta3074 (19031 posts) -

@GrenadeLauncher said:
@kuu2 said:

Sony introduced pre-loading support for PlayStation 4 back in June.

Welcome to real next gen, cos it sure as fuck isn't Kinect.

Generations are not based on Hardware capabalities you silly boy, every gamer who has been gaming for longer than 5 minutes knows that.

Generations are based on succession.

#34 Edited by GrenadeLauncher (6256 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Move failed long before Kinect. Move was a disgrace. Still flicking robots I see.

Just as well they recognised that long before MS did with waggle, isn't it, Justin?

#35 Edited by GhoX (5371 posts) -

In other news, Steam began offering pre-loading before Xbox 360 was even released.

#36 Posted by yokofox33 (30491 posts) -

Sweet. I can now start pre-loading the games I won't buy.

#37 Posted by pelvist (5296 posts) -

@yokofox33: Pretty sure you have to buy them to be able to pre-load them...

#38 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (6256 posts) -

@delta3074 said:

Generations are not based on Hardware capabalities you silly boy, every gamer who has been gaming for longer than 5 minutes knows that.

Generations are based on succession.

Better tell that to lemmings like Justin who boasted about Kinect being "true next gen." Well, before MS finally kneecapped it two months ago.

#39 Edited by delta3074 (19031 posts) -

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@delta3074 said:

Generations are not based on Hardware capabalities you silly boy, every gamer who has been gaming for longer than 5 minutes knows that.

Generations are based on succession.

Better tell that to lemmings like Justin who boasted about Kinect being "true next gen." Well, before MS finally kneecapped it two months ago.

Completely irrelevent dude i was commenting on what YOU posted.

#40 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (6256 posts) -

@delta3074 said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@delta3074 said:

Generations are not based on Hardware capabalities you silly boy, every gamer who has been gaming for longer than 5 minutes knows that.

Generations are based on succession.

Better tell that to lemmings like Justin who boasted about Kinect being "true next gen." Well, before MS finally kneecapped it two months ago.

Completely irrelevent dude i was commenting on what YOU posted.

Which was a response to Justin. So, take it to him. :)

#41 Posted by tormentos (20548 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

as opposed to Sony's strategy of releasing a slightly more powerful PS3 with no games?

What is the best game you have to play on xbox one now The cable game.? lol

10 million vs 5 million apparently the strategy worked better luck next gen lemming...hahahaha

#42 Posted by Heil68 (48452 posts) -

I dpnt buy DD normally...

#43 Edited by Draign (1055 posts) -

@tacoma1972 said:

Really mems. Please enlighten me as to how the ONE is such a revelation over the 360. The PS4 evolved over the PS3 in regards to technology and its hardware. The ONE is the only system I can think off that has actually devolved (dropping hardware and features to compete).

Oh and at least they made it more powerful. The ONE is even less of an upgrade over the 360 than the PS4 is too the PS3. Way to own yourself with such a great response.

The PS4 cant even play CDs, FOH.

#44 Posted by Alucard_Prime (3689 posts) -

Awesome that they finally added this, I know I'll be using it a lot as I usually get the games I'm interested in on day 1. My only gripe is that it appears(based on Madden NFL 2015 store description for the pre-load bundle) that for people living in the Eastern Time zone, they can only start playing pre-loaded games at 3:01 Eastern time on release day(PDT is midnight so no issues there).

I'm curious if this is also the case with the PS4 pre-loading, for those who are in the EDT zone and who have tried pre-loading. No big deal, but I was hoping to finally be able to participate in a few midnight launches, I know for Halo MCC I would have done it but it releases on a Tuesday I believe, so cannot stay up until 3 on a work day lol.

#45 Posted by ShoTTyMcNaDeS (2754 posts) -

@tacoma1972 said:

Really mems. Please enlighten me as to how the ONE is such a revelation over the 360. The PS4 evolved over the PS3 in regards to technology and its hardware. The ONE is the only system I can think off that has actually devolved (dropping hardware and features to compete).

Oh and at least they made it more powerful. The ONE is even less of an upgrade over the 360 than the PS4 is too the PS3. Way to own yourself with such a great response.

How did the PS4 evolve so much over the PS3 outside of graphical capabilities.