The Nintendo Hybrid (Long Read)

• 85 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

User Lists: 0

#51 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts
Oh and lets not forget the moronic e-shop where you can't redownload your games. On PSN if I download a game and I loose my psp/vita/ps3 etc... I can redownload my stuff at any time on multiple systems. If my device is stolen, I can cancel that device for psn online and associate my new device with the psn account. On eshop you are stuck. If you loose your 3ds all your purchased games are gone...why? Because Nintendo doesn't even know how to make a database apparently... Its unforgivable that your purchases aren't tied to an actual account, but to the device.
crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

Oh and lets not forget the moronic e-shop where you can't redownload your games. On PSN if I download a game and I loose my psp/vita/ps3 etc... I can redownload my stuff at any time on multiple systems. If my device is stolen, I can cancel that device for psn online and associate my new device with the psn account. On eshop you are stuck. If you loose your 3ds all your purchased games are gone...why? Because Nintendo doesn't even know how to make a database apparently... Its unforgivable that your purchases aren't tied to an actual account, but to the device.Midnightshade29

I dont think its that they dont know how , its that they dont care.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17813 Posts

[QUOTE="osan0"]Big wall o textJonwh18

No gonna lie I skimmed your massive block of text. Why can there be only one cable? Why can't it just have a dock of some sort the has both power and audio/video out?

having a docking station with both power and A/V cables would mean the handheld device couldnt be used like a controller when in console mode. or if it was it would be very awkward. it would be a bit like using the wiiu console itself as a controller with all those cables at the back hanging out. not really workable. so either have a base station as you suggest then use a separate controller (which would make the hybrid thing pointless) or have an addon what can wirelessly connect to the TV. the power thing is still an issue though but at least you would have a bit more freedom to move it around compared to having a HDMI cable attached also. there is also less chance of either pulling your telly off its stand or disconnecting the cable from the TV/console while playing.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#54 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
Midnightshade, what the F*CK did anything that you say have to do with anything in this thread?

Only reason I am bringing all this up is all the bs you people spew about the vita and its library... the 3ds doesn't have that great of one either.. no where near the ds or psp was after a few years.

Midnightshade29
Like, okay, great, good opinion, how is that relevant to this thread?
zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#55 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

There seems to be a lot of assumptions in the OP, as there is with theories, but I think there's a lot more to consider. 

Why should they assume third-parties will flock to this single system? Do we know why Nintendo's handhelds get a lot of third-party support but not their consoles? Does it have to go with user-base? Cost to produce? 

The idea is intriguing, it is, and if Nintendo took this direction I'd purchase the system. But what does that do to the portability of titles? What if this console isn't a hit because of price, or lack of third-party support, or some other unforseen issue? People already criticize the Wii U's power, would we get another console in 5 years that has the portability but the same amount of power, thus creating a larger difference between a Nintendo console and a Sony/Microsoft successor? I imagine that choice would tick off some developers. 

In my head I just don't see it as such an obvious evolution for Nintendo as you laid out.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

I think the best solution would simply be an accessory, ideally one that comes with each handheld, that hooks up to the TV and wirelessly communicates with the handheld to display the handheld screen on the big screen.

Now, the 3DS would not be a good candidate for this because the display resolution is far too low. But as mobile hardware continues to improve, we can probably expect a future Nintendo handheld to have a 720p screen and be capable of displaying 360-quality graphics. It would be an ideal time for Nintendo to finally create a streaming device.

Based on Nintendo's typical timeline, such a device could probably arrive around 2017.

LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 LongZhiZi
Member since 2009 • 2453 Posts
This is what I've been hoping for a while. I thought Sony was going to do with the Vita (all it'd really take is an HDMI output, but a wireless solution would be nicer) but I was disapointed that they left that part out. I used to do this basic idea with my PSP Go. A nice handheld when I'm out and when I came home, I'd use a PS3 controller and have it do TV-out. Granted, it wasn't a very seamless experience (turn on bluetooth manually, plug system in, find the TV-out settings and enable...a forward thinking device would just have a dock and once it's in that, it switches automatically), but it did work and made me enjoy playing it more.
inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#58 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

I think that would be awesome if Ninty went ahead and did this. As someone who doesn't buy both the home console and handheld, this would work really well for me.

It would solve a lot of their problems, and being able to focus on only one platform will help both Nintendo and the consumer.

What's not to like?

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#59 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

The Earliest Proof of Nintendo trying to make a Console and Handheld Hybrid would probably be the Gameboy Player for the Super Nintendo.

Since then we've had many Handheld game players in nearly all Nintendo Systems. The only one that missed out on a Gameboy player was Wii.

N64 also skipped out, but you could play Pokemon on it. WiiU with it's second Screen now has it to where you can potentially play DS and 3DS games on your WiiU, It's only a matter of time before Nintendo makes a peripheral that will allow you to play your 3DS games on the WiiU. They have already stated that they are looking into releasing Gameboy Advance games on the WiiU (though that announcement was a year ago so who knows when they'll start doing that).

Within this year we will see if Nintendo starts making the first steps in Turning the WiiU into that Handheld/Console Hybrid you're talking about, Char.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#60 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

This would be completely awesome in every possible way and is what I expect with Nintendo's next console which will probably once again win the console wars. This would be the long awaited sequel to the super game boy. The possibilities are endless... and having all those RPG's would be astounding. Make it happen Nintendo... you might just win me back as a Nintendo die hard. Right now I still support them, but that would be clutch madness.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

what is this

hotdiddykong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#62  Edited By hotdiddykong
Member since 2007 • 2099 Posts

Good read. Not bad

Though i still feel there is still more potential for the Wii U that will eventually come, but if what you say is true, its only going forward

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#63  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I don't believe in long reads or subjecting others to long reads, therefore tl;dr.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By SolidTy

@osan0 said:
im just not sure how it would be done. in 5 years time mobile tech will certainly be very good. devs can do some pretty impressive stuff with it today (great article on it actually on eurogamer.: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ps3-vs-ps-vita-face-off). but its the other stuff: the consoles design and such like...that could lead to problems. when working as a console: to make mobile hardware deal with more console like games in 5 years its going to need active cooling so it can be clocked much much higher. nintendo would need to design a shell for the device that would work in such a way that it could behave as a heatsink. there are PC cases that do this so its possible....but its not cheap. it would also mean the case would have to be metal, not plastic (which would look very cool has to be said). there would also need to be fans either in the device or as part of an addon to keep the hardware cool and stable. tegra 4 in the shield needs a fan to work flat out for extended periods...this will become more of an issue as time goes by (itll be interesting to see how this is deal with in the phone/tablet space. i think there are some tablets with active cooling now also). any cable from the device to the TV would need to be removed. there should be only 1 cable: power. it would need to be able to connect to the TV wirelessly. it would need to be able to provide the full compliment of buttons/sticks etc. the console would need to use carts. its possible 32GB carts will be affordable for game distribution in 5-6 years time but, then again, maybe not. when in mobile mode: the 3DS XL or vita are pretty much as big as a handheld can get. i am assuming that nintendo would still want to make something that can be put in the pocket so 10" screens would be out. 5" is pretty much the maximum. the difference between console mode and handheld mode would also need to be significant as power drain would become an issue. the cost of development can not be 40-50million quid for a mobile title. if it is then the mobile side of it will be redundant. 4million for a big 3DS title is already pretty pricey now...they cant let it go much higher. if they were to do it i think this is how they would do it: design a handheld that would look very much like a 3DS. the carts would be 32GB. the internals would be in a big.LITTLE setup where the big element is disabled when the device is not connected to power. developers of mobile only titles would only use the little part of the chip. when in console mode developers can access both the big and little element of the chip to use as they see fit and both elements will be clocked up significantly higher. nintendo would have a few options for purchase: 1) just the handheld. 2) a console set that includes the extra gubbins needed for console mode. 3) a complete set that includes the handheld and the extras needed for console mode. so what are the console extras? 1) a unit kinda like the pro controller for the 3DS. this would add extras missing from the base handheld such as triggers, perhaps a back touch surface and enhanced wireless equipment. it would also provide the fans so the handheld can be actively cooled when running flat out. perhaps an extra battery also so you can play in console mode while disconnected from the mains for a few hours. 2) a dongle a lot like chromecast which goes into the back of the telly. the enhanced wireless equipment would be used to send the video stream to the TV with as little latency as possible. it would also need to deal with, at a minimum, a 720P/60FPS video stream. possibly even more to deal with local multiplayer. its doable but whether its a good idea or not is another matter. i can see a lot of problems with it like: 1) for people who just want a handheld they will be wasting a lot of money. they will be buying hardware with a lot of horsepower but will only be able to use a small fraction of it. it would be better to just sell them the less powerful hardware at a cheaper price. 2) it would be a very expensive base unit. the internal hardware would have to be pretty cutting edge and things like the caseing and 2 screens will just add to the price. nintendo could only get away with it IF they had android on it AND it was a very very sexy bit of kit (people will basically think "i must have that"). nintendo have made great looking kit before (the DS LITE...very purty). but they are not consistent in this department. 3) the extras for the console wouldnt be that cheap either. 4) in 5 years time mobile hardware is still going to be very outclassed by desktop type hardware. itll be much better than now and will have caught up a bit but still. 5) a big potential for market confusion. people could end up buying console versions of a new game and then try and play it when the device is in handheld mode. 6) nintendo would be putting all their eggs in one basket. if it succeeds then great, nintendo can run a more efficent operation and lower their bottom line. if it doesnt though then nintendo would have nothing to fall back on. there are good sides though: 1) for people who do want a nintendo handheld and console it would be cheaper. 2) it would be very portable. throw the console bits into a bag, play the handheld while on the move then set it up quickly at your new location. for people who travel a lot it could be great. 3) would make life a lot easier for nintendo. just one set of tools to manage, one set of services, one set of firmware and one device to manufacture. 4) nintendo would be able to throw all their studios at it so less chance of extended dry spells between big releases. 5) assuming nintendo would have multimedia abilities it would also be great for movies and such like. again watch what you are watching on the move and then be able to stream it to your telly. as for making a single device that could be a great handheld and console....no. on the move smaller screens are the thing. 5-5.5" is the max and sound is not a big deal. at home people want bigger screens and good sound. a portable device needs to be thin and cant have as many buttons as a console. one of those sides is going to lose. basically we already have a device like that: the shield....and its crap. its a crap portable and a crap console. great hardware, well built, but not really good at doing any particular thing. its design is badly flawed.

Now this I will read. The format alone drew me in.

Read it. A+

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
Member since 2006 • 2521 Posts

Nintendo Hybrid? Consolidated into One Console?

Hmmmm lets see, it's BEEN FIDDLED WITH BEFORE.....SORT OF:

Turbo Express Portable did that (sort of) played TG16 Hu-cards the same way it's console counterpart did and look what happened to that.

Neo Geo systems did that as well, played ARCADE counterparts by saving into a memory card (if I can still remember) and playing those saved games on NeoGeo Home Consoles and look what happened to that.

We see this with PS3-PSP and seeing this with PS4 and Vita.

Hmmmm, I don't know about that. It sounds compelling, but again, it's been fiddled with before.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@SolidTy said:

I don't believe in long reads or subjecting others to long reads, therefore tl;dr.

Good for you, sir.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By SolidTy

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidTy said:

Good for you, sir.

I was being a bit cheeky before, the joke relying on my own history of longer posts. It was supposed to garner a trolling response of "lol, Mr. longwinded himself" or something to that effect.

Sincerely, I believe the opposite of what I typed above about long posts, and I encourage intelligent posts over spam. Carry on. I feel people contributed some nice posts in this thread in all honesty.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@SolidTy said:

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidTy said:

Good for you, sir.

I was being a bit cheeky before, the joke relying on my own history of longer posts. It was supposed to garner a trolling response of "lol, Mr. longwinded himself" or something to that effect.

Sincerely, I believe the opposite of what I typed above about long posts, and I encourage intelligent posts over spam. Carry on. I feel people contributed some nice posts in this thread in all honesty.

I apologize, I misunderstood haha

Hope you had a great new years day, and have an equally great year ahead :)

Wild_man_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#69 Wild_man_22
Member since 2010 • 907 Posts

Seems like the logical progression of the wii-u. But it seems like something nintendo isn't ready for in 5 years.

I think people have shown recently that they are perfectly content carrying around multiple devices. As long as the other device is justified and complimentary to the phone much like 3ds.

I think I would love something like this, but I am just not sure it is something that nintendo could pull off. It does however bring up alot of interesting questions though like: Whats the format for the games? Possible battery life? The initial cost? Development costs? Multi touch? Multiple models for storage? SD cards?

Pretty neat Idea

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#70  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

@Blabadon said:
I like the similarities between the 3DS and Wii U, namely neither having any good games

The 3DS had more good games than the PS3 & 360 combined in 2013, while the Wii U has more good games than the PS4 & X1 combined...

Metacritic's Handheld, Console and PC comparison

dbtbandit67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By dbtbandit67
Member since 2012 • 415 Posts

I believe it and it's going to be awesome, because the 3DS is awesome. Although don't get too ahead of yourself, it'll basically be a 3DS sequel with nicer graphics and an HDMI output port with bluetooth connectivity (like if you wanted to pair multiple gamepads to it). Looking forward to it.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By SolidTy

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidTy said:

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidTy said:

Good for you, sir.

I apologize, I misunderstood haha

Hope you had a great new years day, and have an equally great year ahead :)

Cheers to that! :)

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I haven't bothered to read your post (yet). But I've had this theory for a long time. One of the main objections I can think of is from Nintendo's perspective, the optimal position is to have two markets selling well, rather than one. Obviously this might not be the case right now, but it's still the ideal state that they might strive for. Eventually I don't think they have a choice though, and they'll have to go for this option.

A final thing to consider is the technology (power, portable, streaming capabilities) is not ready. It needs to be tried and tested as well as cheap. So we may have to wait a few generations before we see this happen.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17813 Posts

@SolidTy: ah bloody hell. I will see if i can clean that up. not sure what happened. if i claimed glitchspot would i get away with it? :P

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#75 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Sounds doable, with a few serious problems: DD would be a big priority to gamers due to its portable nature (Nintendo would need to redesign and implement a decent online infrastructure....they've always struggled with this). And if the past is any indicator of the future, they would be extremely frugal on the hardware itself on things like the HDD, which would subsequently force people to upgrade out of pocket right after purchase to be able to play all DD games if they prefer not to haul all their games around, which would kind of defeat the purpose of a portable system. Plus Nintendo would need to invest in a decent battery, and stop doing such anti-consumer business practices such as failing to include an AC recharger with the 3DS which forces the buyer to spend money on something that should've been included in the 1st place.

IF Nintendo changed a few of the above, it could be a great idea. Also, if Nintendo lowered their digital prices a bit after a few months it'd help a lot (which won't happen due to Iwata's last recent excuse of "not wanting to devalue our games in gamers' eyes by offering them cheaper as a digital purchases"....which is insulting). And if they were able to get the VC up to its full potential, all would be steps in the right direction. But regardless, I'll never, EVER buy anything digital from Nintendo until they link my account to the cloud instead of the console. This alone makes me buying any hybrid where DD is of paramont importance to its convinience as a handheld an impossibility. And let's be real here: Nintendo's been lacking behind on this past a decade, even though they've made claims that they've been working on it from years ago. It ain't happening.

To be honest though, I don't think Nintendo's capable of doing these even if they wanted to under the current management (not just Iwata, but everyone calling the shots at NCL). I like the idea of a hybrid and can see how it's a good idea, but that's only until I view it in the context of Nintendo's current policies and philosophy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@trugs26 said:

I haven't bothered to read your post (yet). But I've had this theory for a long time. One of the main objections I can think of is from Nintendo's perspective, the optimal position is to have two markets selling well, rather than one. Obviously this might not be the case right now, but it's still the ideal state that they might strive for. Eventually I don't think they have a choice though, and they'll have to go for this option.

A final thing to consider is the technology (power, portable, streaming capabilities) is not ready. It needs to be tried and tested as well as cheap. So we may have to wait a few generations before we see this happen.

I address this point in the OP too, and I talk about how the halving of the revenue streams is more than compensated for via other avenues (R&D for one system, unified software sales, third party licenses, and so on).

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#77 super600
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

Who bumped this thread?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Zassimick: @LegatoSkyheart: @trugs26: @osan0:@Dr-Gentlemen: @darkspineslayer: @Shottayouth13-: @nintendoboy16:

Called it

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#81 verbtex  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9196 Posts

Why did you bump this, charizard?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@verbtex said:

Why did you bump this, charizard?

Just for gloating purposes, mostly. I was gonna lock it once I had had my fill :D

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#83 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

I didnt even notice the date lol

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

Still think a Tegra X1 or even X2 would be too weak to get proper ports of AAA third party games.

The fact that Just Dance and Sonic are the only third party games announced for the NX should tell you everything you need to know about third party support and the NX.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@verbtex: "Why did you bump this, charizard?"

Because he's a ego maniac.

I didn't read all that but from what I glance through, how does he take credit for someone else research?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@PSP107:Who else's research?

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#87 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@charizard1605: Dude this is a 2 year old thread that you bumped. Lock it already man.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

Shut up Chaz