The Nintendo Hybrid (Long Read)

• 85 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Hybrid

WHAT IS IT?

A Nintendo Hybrid is something that Nintendo has allegedly been working on for ten years, since the Gamecube-Gameboy Advance connectivity days (the DS's unexpected success being a brief distraction); essentially, it is one system that is the successor both to their current console and hardware, a system that unifies their product lines into one. 

How would it work? Think of it as a small handheld; a powerful handheld, with at least the power of an iPad- you pick it up and you take it with you, like any handheld. You play games on it on the go. And when you come home, you dock it into your TV, and you can play those exact games on your HDTV now, with controllers, as a console game. One platform, that acts as both a handheld and a console.

HOW DOES IT HELP?

It helps in multiple ways- let's focus on the chief issue, which is resource allocation. Increasingly over time, Nintendo has found it harder and harder to support two platforms, a handheld and a console. As we have seen in recent years, one always suffer at the hands of the other (in this case, the Wii U seems to be marginalized in favor of the 3DS); as software development grows more and more complicated, not just for consoles but for handhelds as well, Nintendo finds it harder and harder to allocate first party funds and resources to adequately support both platforms. But in this situation, imagine there being just one system you need to buy to play Nintendo games instead of two- one system for Mario, just one for Zelda, Pokemon, Metroid, the new Monolith or Retro game.

And you can play those games any way you want- you can play them on the go if you prefer handheld play. You can play them on your TV if you prefer console play (heck, this even gets you the big screen console Pokemon you have always wanted). 

From a first party perspcetive, this is incredible, because by focusing all their efforts on one platform, Nintendo can ensure there are no more software droughts, like the ones that the Wii U or 3DS suffered. They can ensure there is one major release from them on the one platform that they are supporting every month, without having to do the handheld/console balancing act that they currently do.

From a PR perspective, Nintendo does not have to worry about one platform failing pulling their public perception down (as is happening currently with the Wii U overshadowing the 3DS's impressive success).

IS THERE ANY PROOF THAT THIS IS HAPPENING?

Of course there is proof, there's a whole lot of proof. Let's start with the existence of the Wii U, which is the most conclusive piece of proof we have- the Wii U works a bit like what I described, except in reverse (possibly because the tech to do a hybrid at the level Nintendo wants/I have described wasn't mature or cheap enough yet). It's a proto hybrid. And the Wii U is just the culmination of a long line of efforts by Nintendo to consolidate handhelds and consoles- think back to the Gamecube-Gameboy Advance connectivity, for example.

But the most telling piece of evidence that we have, which will please those who like cold, hard, concrete facts, is the news from earlier this year that Nintendo is consolidating its handheld and console development teams; this can only lead one towards one conclusion, there is no other logical end to this process.

WHAT ABOUT THIRD PARTIES?

Ah yes- third parties. The bane of Nintendo's existence. This is a two pronged problem.

As far as handhelds go, Nintendo has third party support on lock- it's always gotten major third party support for its handhelds. Even in the days of the Wii, the days of the Gamcube, N64, even now, with the Wii U bombing, Nintendo gets major third party support on the 3DS. Third party support for a Nintendo handheld isn't a question. It's assured, because Nintendo has that market on lock.

For consoles, it's almost the exact opposite- no matter what Nintendo does, it can't seem to enlist third party aid. It's easy to see how a console/handheld hybrid would solve this problem, as not only does it get the full third party support a Nintendo handheld traditionally does, but it can also get the kind of 'console' third party support that the Vita is getting; in the best case scenario, it can get full third party support, as an able platform with a lot of sales.

WHA ABOUT THE FINANCIAL FALLOUT?

The one convincing argument against this happening is the financial argument- Nintendo currently earns money from both, its consoles and its handhelds. Wouldn't having one platform just halve the revenue stream?

And the answer to that is no, for a multitude of reasons.

For starters, the non overlapping handheld/comsole demographics now buy one system, and all sales are just transferred to that one, instead of being split across two platforms. For non overlapping demographics, those that own both a Nintendo handheld and a console, however, this represents a loss in revenue.

Said loss is more than covered for, however, by the fact that Nintendo now has to invest in one platform, not two- R&D for one system, maintenance of one system, manufacturing and marketing of one system. Third party support ensures consolidated licensing fees. 

And most importantly, software sales- a singular Nintendo system would experience massive software sales for all Nintendo games, much more than these games do individually on a handheld or a console. All of this can collectively ameliorate the short term revenue loss that unifying their hardware lines would mean.

WHAT DOES THIS ALL MEAN? (tl;dr version)

There are people who think Nintendo needs to go third party, because it 'sucks at hardware.' These people not only completely miss the point, but they are also inaccurate- Nintendo doesn't suck at hardware, it has a thorough and incredible understanding of hardware engineering. They have had missteps with their recent consoles. But all this while, their handhelds have continued to truck along as the best hardware for the handheld market, uniquely balancing hardware power, reliability, ergonomics, battery life, and innovative inputs, all along, and that has become their core competency.

Such a Nintendo hybrid as described above would take Nintendo's strongest competencies in the hardware market- their incredible experience at designing handhelds- and put it to great use at designing a unified platform. Said platform would be well engineered, unlike Nintendo's recent consoles, would get all the backing of third parties (as a 'handheld'), and the complete might of Nintendo's first party behind it. It would also, once and for all, end the problem of resource allocation that Nintendo often suffers, having to support two platforms all by themselves, and would once and for all answer and end the questions of Nintendo going handheld only/third party.

Finally, this move would also keep Nintendo competitive in a rapidly changing and increasingly more competitive market- this new device would be able to hold its own against smartphones, tablets, and media boxes in a way that a dedicated Nintendo handheld or console would not.

---

So the question now is, what do you think of the Nintendo Hybrid? Would you buy such a system? Do you think it is a good move for the company? What do you think would be the problems with this approach?

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#2 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
I like the similarities between the 3DS and Wii U, namely neither having any good games
faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts
Nintendo is done.
sweeten16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 sweeten16
Member since 2005 • 2872 Posts
sounds cool
Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts
From a business perspective, it would be in Ninty's best interest to keep consoles and handhelds separate.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

I applaud this thread.

There should be one Nintendo system for all Nintendo games.

Also, the mentioned system is basically a... PS Vita. (or Wii U GamePad with in-built hardware, if you prefer that)

Of course the price of the system should also be inviting.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#7 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41532 Posts
From a business perspective, it would be in Ninty's best interest to keep consoles and handhelds separate.Shottayouth13-
Pretty much. I don't see them surviving as well fusing a console-handheld like a DBZ fusion. Again, it's like standing on one foot for too long.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
From a business perspective, it would be in Ninty's best interest to keep consoles and handhelds separate. Shottayouth13-
Why do you think so? I already enumerated why financially it makes more sense for them to follow the Hybrid route.
wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts
Im not sure how I feel about this idea. I like my ninty handhelds. I have had one almost my entire life and have bought many at launch. What would the implications of this be? Would ninty really only produce when system? Because I think that such a device could really be at a detriment to both experiences. Specifically for handhelds: price and portability. NOW, if they want to slap some kind of video out onto their next DS/gameboy thats fine. If they want to produce a console that somehow doubles has a handheld, fine, but there still better be that traditional handheld for me in that case.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Im not sure how I feel about this idea. I like my ninty handhelds. I have had one almost my entire life and have bought many at launch. What would the implications of this be? Would ninty really only produce when system? Because I think that such a device could really be at a detriment to both experiences. Specifically for handhelds: price and portability. NOW, if they want to slap some kind of video out onto their next DS/gameboy thats fine. If they want to produce a console that somehow doubles has a handheld, fine, but there still better be that traditional handheld for me in that case.wolverine4262
There would be just one system, but you can think of it as a handheld with TV out instead of a console that doubles as a handheld. It would be a powerful, traditional handheld, at least more powerful than Wii U, and it would double down as a console as well.
Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Shottayouth13-
[QUOTE="Shottayouth13-"]From a business perspective, it would be in Ninty's best interest to keep consoles and handhelds separate. charizard1605
Why do you think so? I already enumerated why financially it makes more sense for them to follow the Hybrid route.

Why not? Look at the Wii and DS. If Ninty had only one single system at that point, they wouldn't have made as much as they did. Product differentiation and all that. They should be looking to expand, not the other way around.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

[QUOTE="Shottayouth13-"]From a business perspective, it would be in Ninty's best interest to keep consoles and handhelds separate. charizard1605

And the arguments you made are strong, too.

No more "internal competition" with one selves, no more struggling 2nd system (as was the norm since NGC, arguably N64), no more customer confusion (it's not a handheld nor a home system, it's both), no more anger about "underpowered" hardware (as handhelds don't need as much power), no more split userbase and switching between platforms, ect.

Sounds pretty ideal to me.

The system could do really well too, given the right pricing. (up to 200+ million units sold easily under right conditions)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="Shottayouth13-"]From a business perspective, it would be in Ninty's best interest to keep consoles and handhelds separate. Shottayouth13-

Why not? Look at the Wii and DS. If Ninty had only one single system at that point, they wouldn't have made as much as they did. Product differentiation and all that. They should be looking to expand, not the other way around.

Except now consolidate all those sales for one product, not two. More importantly, consolidate software sales as well. The traditional home console business is not something Nintendo cam compete in any longer- the AAA game is too expensive for them, and Apple, Amazon, and Google are supplanting them in the low end gaming business. As THQ demonstrated, there is no room for a middle tier of gaming, it's one or the other. A single system yields Nintendo roughly the same profits and revenue that two split lines do, probably more, because no longer do they have to contend with one system dragging the other down, as has been the case since the SNES days, when the slowdown of the Gameboy meant a split allocation of resources, and a temporary shift of focus away from the SNES, leading to Sega to press its advantage.
wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts
[QUOTE="charizard1605"] There would be just one system, but you can think of it as a handheld with TV out instead of a console that doubles as a handheld. It would be a powerful, traditional handheld, at least more powerful than Wii U, and it would double down as a console as well.

Well, id have to see it first. But, i have plenty of concerns. I do think they should bring back the gameboy name though....
AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts
WiiU......lol
Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts
Ps vita?
iphonegamegirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 iphonegamegirl
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
aaahhhh poor Nintendo :( this isn't looking good.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Ps vita?Ghost120x
No, the ultimate culmination of the PS Vita/Wii U concept. And now there is only one Nintendo system, not two, no differentiated handhelds and consoles.
Jack-Burton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jack-Burton
Member since 2013 • 2435 Posts
3DU
Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

lol Nintendo

Even their handheld sales are slowing down.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Shottayouth13-
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="Shottayouth13-"][QUOTE="charizard1605"] Why do you think so? I already enumerated why financially it makes more sense for them to follow the Hybrid route.

Except now consolidate all those sales for one product, not two. More importantly, consolidate software sales as well. The traditional home console business is not something Nintendo cam compete in any longer- the AAA game is too expensive for them, and Apple, Amazon, and Google are supplanting them in the low end gaming business. As THQ demonstrated, there is no room for a middle tier of gaming, it's one or the other. A single system yields Nintendo roughly the same profits and revenue that two split lines do, probably more, because no longer do they have to contend with one system dragging the other down, as has been the case since the SNES days, when the slowdown of the Gameboy meant a split allocation of resources, and a temporary shift of focus away from the SNES, leading to Sega to press its advantage.

It's silly to say Nintendo can't compete in the AAA game market when their first party sells as much as it does - almost moreso than everyone else. How many people took the 'it's either one or the other' approach when it came to buy a Nintendo handheld and console? I don't think the sales would consolidate just like that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="Shottayouth13-"][QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="Shottayouth13-"] Why not? Look at the Wii and DS. If Ninty had only one single system at that point, they wouldn't have made as much as they did. Product differentiation and all that. They should be looking to expand, not the other way around.

It's silly to say Nintendo can't compete in the AAA game market when their first party sells as much as it does - almost moreso than everyone else. How many people took the 'it's either one or the other' approach when it came to buy a Nintendo handheld and console? I don't think the sales would consolidate just like that.

I mean hardware and software development- what Nintendo console or game do you remember which had the budget typically associated with the AAA industry associated with it? And yes, as I say in the OP, there's a big overlap in the handheld and console markets, so they wouldn't, a lot of them wouldn't. But the loss in revenue would be offset by other factors, also listed in the OP.
Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Shottayouth13-

[QUOTE="Shottayouth13-"][QUOTE="charizard1605"] Except now consolidate all those sales for one product, not two. More importantly, consolidate software sales as well. The traditional home console business is not something Nintendo cam compete in any longer- the AAA game is too expensive for them, and Apple, Amazon, and Google are supplanting them in the low end gaming business. As THQ demonstrated, there is no room for a middle tier of gaming, it's one or the other. A single system yields Nintendo roughly the same profits and revenue that two split lines do, probably more, because no longer do they have to contend with one system dragging the other down, as has been the case since the SNES days, when the slowdown of the Gameboy meant a split allocation of resources, and a temporary shift of focus away from the SNES, leading to Sega to press its advantage.charizard1605

I mean hardware and software development- what Nintendo console or game do you remember which had the budget typically associated with the AAA industry associated with it? And yes, as I say in the OP, there's a big overlap in the handheld and console markets, so they wouldn't, a lot of them wouldn't. But the loss in revenue would be offset by other factors, also listed in the OP.

It's not the size of the budget, it's the size of the return that you make on the investment. Nintendo doesn't need to compete with big budgets just because. In fact, Nintendo and others (Minecraft comes to mind) has demonstrated time and time again that you don't need big budgets to be hugely succesful. I wonder what's preventing other companies from taking note of this.

Also, I believe the current AAA game market will collapse (or considerably shrink) if they don't start to minimize and manage those budgets effectively. It's really getting out of hand.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts
I honestly think the biggest reason Nintendo's last two consoles have been so underpowered is that they couldn't afford AAA development on a modern console. Keeping a modern console with lower specs insures that development costs stay low, and if you hit a home run like the Wii, you print money for 6-7 years. It's a smart business strategy.
Dr-Gentlemen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Dr-Gentlemen
Member since 2013 • 101 Posts
Every person who tried that has failed, and they had more cash than Nintendo, well most of them. What makes Nintendo, think they can do that? You can already hook up a DS to the TV anyway, and there are tons of smaller companies that have these products out now that nobody knows about, and they can be used to emulate and browse the web and do some computing. In fact, I don't see from any perspective how this is a good idea. Especially for dedicated gaming. This would mean they would have to have low specs to have both sides be able to output the same games.
drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

What about a HumanCentWiiPad

TheOwnerOner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TheOwnerOner
Member since 2007 • 2921 Posts
Nintendo = Prius?
PatchMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28 PatchMaster
Member since 2003 • 6013 Posts

This is pretty much a no-brainer. Nintendo is definitely planning to merge their console and handheld gaming in the future. They just have to wait until portable tech is advanced yet affordable enough to do so. The Wii U gamepad isn't just a some tablet gimmick after all, it's essentially a prototype of what they want to do in the future. Glad someone else noticed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
Can I have a TL;DR of your TL;DR?
TheKingIAm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TheKingIAm
Member since 2013 • 1531 Posts
If Nintendo does that, they might as well pack up and go. We dont have time for ipad graphics level consoles. Dont you wanna see Nintendo get with the times?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="Dr-Gentlemen"]Every person who tried that has failed, and they had more cash than Nintendo, well most of them. What makes Nintendo, think they can do that? You can already hook up a DS to the TV anyway, and there are tons of smaller companies that have these products out now that nobody knows about, and they can be used to emulate and browse the web and do some computing. In fact, I don't see from any perspective how this is a good idea. Especially for dedicated gaming. This would mean they would have to have low specs to have both sides be able to output the same games.

Well for starters: a) You cannot hook a DS or a 3DS to a TV b) I don't believe anyone has ever tried anything of this scale ever before; the most we have gotten are half hearted steps at console connectivity, like N64/GBC, SNES/GB, GCN/GBA, or PS3/PSP. Hell even now, with Wii U or PS4/Vita, the concept remains in an almost hesitant prototype stage. c) Nintendo could get this done because of the absolute control it would have over the platform, the experience of the platform, the infrastructure, and all the content on it, not a luxury any of the other companies have.
Can I have a TL;DR of your TL;DR?darkspineslayer
No. In fact, now you have to read the full thing :evil:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
If Nintendo does that, they might as well pack up and go. We dont have time for ipad graphics level consoles. Dont you wanna see Nintendo get with the times?TheKingIAm
Good thing this isn't a console, it's a hybrid.
PatchMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#33 PatchMaster
Member since 2003 • 6013 Posts

If Nintendo does that, they might as well pack up and go. We dont have time for ipad graphics level consoles. Dont you wanna see Nintendo get with the times?TheKingIAm

lol. What does that even mean? What's wrong with iPad graphics? 

Haven't you seen some of the crazy new mobile processors that are coming out? Combine that with improving OLED tech and you're gonna start seeing some pretty damn powerful handheld devices in the next few years.

TheKingIAm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TheKingIAm
[QUOTE="TheKingIAm"]If Nintendo does that, they might as well pack up and go. We dont have time for ipad graphics level consoles. Dont you wanna see Nintendo get with the times?charizard1605

And? The ipad is weaker than the wiiu. They're better of making a mac type device with decent pc specs
Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jonwh18
Member since 2009 • 9350 Posts
It's exactly what I've always wanted and dreamt of. Thank you base Nintendo. :cool:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="TheKingIAm"]If Nintendo does that, they might as well pack up and go. We dont have time for ipad graphics level consoles. Dont you wanna see Nintendo get with the times?TheKingIAm

And? The ipad is weaker than the wiiu. They're better of making a mac type device with decent pc specs

So they should start making computers? Are you high? You realize specs aren't everything, and that after a certain while, especially for Nintendo's games, they are meaningless?
TheKingIAm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TheKingIAm

[QUOTE="TheKingIAm"]If Nintendo does that, they might as well pack up and go. We dont have time for ipad graphics level consoles. Dont you wanna see Nintendo get with the times?PatchMaster

lol. What does that even mean? What's wrong with iPad graphics? 

Haven't you seen some of the crazy new mobile processors that are coming out? Combine that with improving OLED tech and you're gonna start seeing some pretty damn powerful handheld devices in the next few years.

Mobile chips still arent even as powerful as the 360. It would be dumb for Nintendo to stoop that low unless they release a new device yearly
TheKingIAm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TheKingIAm
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="TheKingIAm"][QUOTE="charizard1605"] Good thing this isn't a console, it's a hybrid.

So they should start making computers? Are you high? You realize specs aren't everything, and that after a certain while, especially for Nintendo's games, they are meaningless?

They're better off keeping their wiiu as their console and handheld
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
[QUOTE="charizard1605"]
Can I have a TL;DR of your TL;DR?darkspineslayer
No. In fact, now you have to read the full thing :evil:

Good luck with that, every one of my teachers ever realized that I don't take optional marks seriously. You won't be seeing that homework ;)
Dr-Gentlemen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Dr-Gentlemen
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="Dr-Gentlemen"]Every person who tried that has failed, and they had more cash than Nintendo, well most of them. What makes Nintendo, think they can do that? You can already hook up a DS to the TV anyway, and there are tons of smaller companies that have these products out now that nobody knows about, and they can be used to emulate and browse the web and do some computing. In fact, I don't see from any perspective how this is a good idea. Especially for dedicated gaming. This would mean they would have to have low specs to have both sides be able to output the same games.

Well for starters: a) You cannot hook a DS or a 3DS to a TV b) I don't believe anyone has ever tried anything of this scale ever before; the most we have gotten are half hearted steps at console connectivity, like N64/GBC, SNES/GB, GCN/GBA, or PS3/PSP. Hell even now, with Wii U or PS4/Vita, the concept remains in an almost hesitant prototype stage. c) Nintendo could get this done because of the absolute control it would have over the platform, the experience of the platform, the infrastructure, and all the content on it, not a luxury any of the other companies have.

What scale? A portable that can be hooked up to a TV? Yes, it has, quite a few times. It makes no logical sense because you will either have to make the portable versions a total mess, or limit the graphics of the console. Unless you want it to cost $800. A console that you can bring with you and hook up to a TV has a very high chance of fail. If people with money could not do it I doubt Nintendo could. Especially since there is not really one positive.
Dr-Gentlemen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Dr-Gentlemen
[QUOTE="TheKingIAm"][QUOTE="PatchMaster"] Mobile chips still arent even as powerful as the 360. It would be dumb for Nintendo to stoop that low unless they release a new device yearly

Mobile chips being powerful doesn't mean anything compared to consoles and computers. You need more than just a powerful chip to keep a mobile device powerful and a decent size.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
*take-my-money-fry.jpg*
illmatic8582

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 illmatic8582
Member since 2006 • 674 Posts
I would like this. Think how quickly things are improving. The PS Vita is soo much better than the PSP. Same thing with the 3DS and DS. In 7 years the tech can be there. To have both a Nintendo handheld and Console in one package. Nintendo succeeds in their handhelds like no other but even if that is the case they are seen at least by me as a home console company for some reasons. If they can put these two together in one package with an attractive price, it would kill the competition. And it is the sort of risk they love taking
illmatic8582

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 illmatic8582
Member since 2006 • 674 Posts
it wont be ipad like graphics in 6-7 years...
sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

I like the similarities between the 3DS and Wii U, namely neither having any good gamesBlabadon

I can't believe they let you post on this site.  I lol'd at the thought of 3DS having no good games.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17813 Posts

im just not sure how it would be done. in 5 years time mobile tech will certainly be very good. devs can do some pretty impressive stuff with it today (great article on it actually on eurogamer.: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ps3-vs-ps-vita-face-off). but its the other stuff: the consoles design and such like...that could lead to problems.

when working as a console:

to make mobile hardware deal with more console like games in 5 years its going to need active cooling so it can be clocked much much higher. nintendo would need to design a shell for the device that would work in such a way that it could behave as a heatsink. there are PC cases that do this so its possible....but its not cheap. it would also mean the case would have to be metal, not plastic (which would look very cool has to be said). there would also need to be fans either in the device or as part of an addon to keep the hardware cool and stable. tegra 4 in the shield needs a fan to work flat out for extended periods...this will become more of an issue as time goes by (itll be interesting to see how this is deal with in the phone/tablet space. i think there are some tablets with active cooling now also).

any cable from the device to the TV would need to be removed. there should be only 1 cable: power. it would need to be able to connect to the TV wirelessly.

it would need to be able to provide the full compliment of buttons/sticks etc.

the console would need to use carts. its possible 32GB carts will be affordable for game distribution in 5-6 years time but, then again, maybe not.

when in mobile mode:

the 3DS XL or vita are pretty much as big as a handheld can get. i am assuming that nintendo would still want to make something that can be put in the pocket so 10" screens would be out. 5" is pretty much the maximum. the difference between console mode and handheld mode would also need to be significant as power drain would become an issue.

the cost of development can not be 40-50million quid for a mobile title. if it is then the mobile side of it will be redundant. 4million for a big 3DS title is already pretty pricey now...they cant let it go much higher.

if they were to do it i think this is how they would do it: design a handheld that would look very much like a 3DS. the carts would be 32GB. the internals would be in a big.LITTLE setup where the big element is disabled when the device is not connected to power. developers of mobile only titles would only use the little part of the chip. when in console mode developers can access both the big and little element of the chip to use as they see fit and both elements will be clocked up significantly higher.

nintendo would have a few options for purchase:

1. just the handheld.
  2. a console set that includes the extra gubbins needed for console mode. 3) a complete set that includes the handheld and the extras needed for console mode.

so what are the console extras?

1) a unit kinda like the pro controller for the 3DS. this would add extras missing from the base handheld such as triggers, perhaps a back touch surface and enhanced wireless equipment. it would also provide the fans so the handheld can be actively cooled when running flat out. perhaps an extra battery also so you can play in console mode while disconnected from the mains for a few hours.

2) a dongle a lot like chromecast which goes into the back of the telly. the enhanced wireless equipment would be used to send the video stream to the TV with as little latency as possible. it would also need to deal with, at a minimum, a 720P/60FPS video stream. possibly even more to deal with local multiplayer.

its doable but whether its a good idea or not is another matter. i can see a lot of problems with it like:

1) for people who just want a handheld they will be wasting a lot of money. they will be buying hardware with a lot of horsepower but will only be able to use a small fraction of it. it would be better to just sell them the less powerful hardware at a cheaper price.

2) it would be a very expensive base unit. the internal hardware would have to be pretty cutting edge and things like the caseing and 2 screens will just add to the price. nintendo could only get away with it IF they had android on it AND it was a very very sexy bit of kit (people will basically think "i must have that"). nintendo have made great looking kit before (the DS LITE...very purty). but they are not consistent in this department.

3) the extras for the console wouldnt be that cheap either.

4) in 5 years time mobile hardware is still going to be very outclassed by desktop type hardware. itll be much better than now and will have caught up a bit but still.

5) a big potential for market confusion. people could end up buying console versions of a new game and then try and play it when the device is in handheld mode.

6) nintendo would be putting all their eggs in one basket. if it succeeds then great, nintendo can run a more efficent operation and lower their bottom line. if it doesnt though then nintendo would have nothing to fall back on.

there are good sides though:

1) for people who do want a nintendo handheld and console it would be cheaper.

2) it would be very portable. throw the console bits into a bag, play the handheld while on the move then set it up quickly at your new location. for people who travel a lot it could be great.

3) would make life a lot easier for nintendo. just one set of tools to manage, one set of services, one set of firmware and one device to manufacture.

4) nintendo would be able to throw all their studios at it so less chance of extended dry spells between big releases.

5) assuming nintendo would have multimedia abilities it would also be great for movies and such like. again watch what you are watching on the move and then be able to stream it to your telly.

as for making a single device that could be a great handheld and console....no. on the move smaller screens are the thing. 5-5.5" is the max and sound is not a big deal. at home people want bigger screens and good sound. a portable device needs to be thin and cant have as many buttons as a console. one of those sides is going to lose. basically we already have a device like that: the shield....and its crap. its a crap portable and a crap console. great hardware, well built, but not really good at doing any particular thing. its design is badly flawed.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#47 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts
I like the similarities between the 3DS and Wii U, namely neither having any good gamesBlabadon
Agreed with this guy.
timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#48 timbers_WSU
Member since 2012 • 6076 Posts

I don't really care what they do anymore.

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Jonwh18
Member since 2009 • 9350 Posts

im just not sure how it would be done. in 5 years time mobile tech will certainly be very good. devs can do some pretty impressive stuff with it today (great article on it actually on eurogamer.: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ps3-vs-ps-vita-face-off). but its the other stuff: the consoles design and such like...that could lead to problems. when working as a console: to make mobile hardware deal with more console like games in 5 years its going to need active cooling so it can be clocked much much higher. nintendo would need to design a shell for the device that would work in such a way that it could behave as a heatsink. there are PC cases that do this so its possible....but its not cheap. it would also mean the case would have to be metal, not plastic (which would look very cool has to be said). there would also need to be fans either in the device or as part of an addon to keep the hardware cool and stable. tegra 4 in the shield needs a fan to work flat out for extended periods...this will become more of an issue as time goes by (itll be interesting to see how this is deal with in the phone/tablet space. i think there are some tablets with active cooling now also). any cable from the device to the TV would need to be removed. there should be only 1 cable: power. it would need to be able to connect to the TV wirelessly. it would need to be able to provide the full compliment of buttons/sticks etc. the console would need to use carts. its possible 32GB carts will be affordable for game distribution in 5-6 years time but, then again, maybe not. when in mobile mode: the 3DS XL or vita are pretty much as big as a handheld can get. i am assuming that nintendo would still want to make something that can be put in the pocket so 10" screens would be out. 5" is pretty much the maximum. the difference between console mode and handheld mode would also need to be significant as power drain would become an issue. the cost of development can not be 40-50million quid for a mobile title. if it is then the mobile side of it will be redundant. 4million for a big 3DS title is already pretty pricey now...they cant let it go much higher. if they were to do it i think this is how they would do it: design a handheld that would look very much like a 3DS. the carts would be 32GB. the internals would be in a big.LITTLE setup where the big element is disabled when the device is not connected to power. developers of mobile only titles would only use the little part of the chip. when in console mode developers can access both the big and little element of the chip to use as they see fit and both elements will be clocked up significantly higher. nintendo would have a few options for purchase: 1) just the handheld. 2) a console set that includes the extra gubbins needed for console mode. 3) a complete set that includes the handheld and the extras needed for console mode. so what are the console extras? 1) a unit kinda like the pro controller for the 3DS. this would add extras missing from the base handheld such as triggers, perhaps a back touch surface and enhanced wireless equipment. it would also provide the fans so the handheld can be actively cooled when running flat out. perhaps an extra battery also so you can play in console mode while disconnected from the mains for a few hours. 2) a dongle a lot like chromecast which goes into the back of the telly. the enhanced wireless equipment would be used to send the video stream to the TV with as little latency as possible. it would also need to deal with, at a minimum, a 720P/60FPS video stream. possibly even more to deal with local multiplayer. its doable but whether its a good idea or not is another matter. i can see a lot of problems with it like: 1) for people who just want a handheld they will be wasting a lot of money. they will be buying hardware with a lot of horsepower but will only be able to use a small fraction of it. it would be better to just sell them the less powerful hardware at a cheaper price. 2) it would be a very expensive base unit. the internal hardware would have to be pretty cutting edge and things like the caseing and 2 screens will just add to the price. nintendo could only get away with it IF they had android on it AND it was a very very sexy bit of kit (people will basically think "i must have that"). nintendo have made great looking kit before (the DS LITE...very purty). but they are not consistent in this department. 3) the extras for the console wouldnt be that cheap either. 4) in 5 years time mobile hardware is still going to be very outclassed by desktop type hardware. itll be much better than now and will have caught up a bit but still. 5) a big potential for market confusion. people could end up buying console versions of a new game and then try and play it when the device is in handheld mode. 6) nintendo would be putting all their eggs in one basket. if it succeeds then great, nintendo can run a more efficent operation and lower their bottom line. if it doesnt though then nintendo would have nothing to fall back on. there are good sides though: 1) for people who do want a nintendo handheld and console it would be cheaper. 2) it would be very portable. throw the console bits into a bag, play the handheld while on the move then set it up quickly at your new location. for people who travel a lot it could be great. 3) would make life a lot easier for nintendo. just one set of tools to manage, one set of services, one set of firmware and one device to manufacture. 4) nintendo would be able to throw all their studios at it so less chance of extended dry spells between big releases. 5) assuming nintendo would have multimedia abilities it would also be great for movies and such like. again watch what you are watching on the move and then be able to stream it to your telly. as for making a single device that could be a great handheld and console....no. on the move smaller screens are the thing. 5-5.5" is the max and sound is not a big deal. at home people want bigger screens and good sound. a portable device needs to be thin and cant have as many buttons as a console. one of those sides is going to lose. basically we already have a device like that: the shield....and its crap. its a crap portable and a crap console. great hardware, well built, but not really good at doing any particular thing. its design is badly flawed.osan0
No gonna lie I skimmed your massive block of text. Why can there be only one cable? Why can't it just have a dock of some sort the has both power and audio/video out?

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#50 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

You have got to be kidding me....

The 3ds (the og model i have) dies in 3 hours....3 hours of crap battery life (with wi-fi off). My vita lasts 6 ,longer if I am playing psp or ps1 games. And don't tell me to turn off the 3d, as that is a major part of the 3ds!!!

As for power, the graphics are the same as the PSP, that came out in 2004! Every game I play on 3ds i feel would of been better on the vita.... but I don't play Nintendo first party stuff besides Zelda and Fire emblem. Most of my 3ds games have been from Atlus.

You tout the massive games library for the 3ds when it really isn't that big. It has the normal shovelware that all nintendo console has, you know the kiddie like the movie tie-ins and disney channel games.... uggh.. it also has crap console type games that don't do well on the 3ds as its 3d isn't that good and its missing the 2nd analog. I hate that to play monster hunter i need a bulky bulbous accessory. In fact it feels better playing MHFU on vita than MH3 on 3ds... and I can play for 3-4 times the hours, and not have to squint to see the details..

Take a way all the mario and other first party nintendo games and tell me whats good besides. Resident evil, tales of abyss, EO4, monster hunter, and SMT4.. it sure isn't castlevania, as I was hoping for more SOTN style but it turned out it wasn't that... so I didn't bite.

I was really hoping the 3ds had more 3rd party stuff than that, but it doesn't and everyone saying that the 3ds has so many 3rd party games and the vita has no games is fooling themselves and is brainwashed... I have over 40+ games for my vita and about 10 for my 3ds... That to me says something. Maybe if I liked mario everything that would change, but I don't... Can't stand mario kart (as there is no reason to play it when you don't have someone else to play it with), the only mario game I would even consider is 3d land..

Only reason I am bringing all this up is all the bs you people spew about the vita and its library... the 3ds doesn't have that great of one either.. no where near the ds or psp was after a few years.