The next gen consoles need to adapt

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

@commander said:

@emgesp said:

@commander said:

@darklight4 said:

@emgesp said:

@darklight4 said:

If people were'nt bothered about price then maybe both consoles could have had something beefier under the hood either way I do'nt give a shit enjoying my ps4.

A $500+ price tag isn't mainstream pricing. Only the most hardcore gamers would pay that much for a console. Not really practical in this day and age.

Exactly my point if you're paying less don't expect high end specs in a consoles. Pc's that cost 1000's you expect that kind of hardware.

Even for 400$ the ps4 is a crap system. The whole idea of a console is that you get more than a pc for your money with high accesibility.

The ps4 isn't even packing 400$ in hardware.

Ummm, actually it is. Manufacturing costs for the PS4 was around $370 at launch. The costs might have gone down some since, but it was very close to the $400 price.

You couldn't build a PC as powerful as a PS4 for $399.99 in 2013.

Sony and Microsoft were smart not to sell the hardware at a loss this generation. Just not very practical. It just means we won't have to wait another 8 yrs for new hardware. Sony and Microsoft will probably go back to a 5 year lifecycle.

Well it was a smart decision for them, they conquered the market and obliterated the competition and that's why they could pull off this scam. It's a damn shame nintendo released that wii u, if they waited and released a strong console they could have scored an open goal.

However, they're working on a new console right now. If they would be fast they could still simply obliterate sony and microsoft. The only problem would be servers i think.

And you can be sure the costs have come down to build a ps4, but even then the ps4 is an unbalanced console, they didn't need that gddr5 as system ram, but they did need a faster cpu, the gpu could have been a bit slower even. It would have been a great system at 900p and at a lower cost. Now it's a crap system at 1080p and 900p and it still costs more to make than it should.

There is always a benefit to having faster ram. The XB1 could have benefited by using GDDR5 as well. The CPU's were intentionally not given priority because Sony and Microsoft knew that developers would soon develop their games using the GPGPU features in the hardware down the road. Having a very powerful CPU in these consoles would be a moot point as soon as you see developers moving intensive CPU tasks to the GPU.

The only thing that matters to me is that the PS4 is a decent upgrade over the PS3. I don't use high end PC hardware as the standard because it is not reasonable to expect a $399.99 console to compete with high end PC's. The PS4 is as powerful a console Sony could have made at $399.99 without taking a huge loss.

tubbyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 tubbyc
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts

I've played a bunch of recent PS4 games, and I'm happy with the 30FPS ones, even though it's not quite as smooth as a 60FPS game of course, like Wolfenstein. Whatever the developers want to do to use the resources, doesn't bother me, as long as they aim for a consistent 30FPS at least.

Honestly though, there were some games from last gen which had some shaky frame rates, ocassionally dropping below 30FPS, like GTAV, the Souls games, The Last of Us, and they were some of my favourite games. Just saying. But certainly a consistent 30FPS is fine by me, and the sales of the PS4 and Xbox One indicate millions of others are finding that too.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@emgesp: interest will peak much sooner, I think. What they gain by releasing state of the art hardware is a product that looks and feels new longer and continues to impress over many years. The PS4 already feels like its been on the market for years. The fact ps3 is still sitting next to it on store shelves, is getting new games, and has a much bigger library makes ps4 look like a failure/novelty device.

Consoles should be custom, not that pc bullshit in a small box.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 emgesp

@Heirren said:

@emgesp: interest will peak much sooner, I think. What they gain by releasing state of the art hardware is a product that looks and feels new longer and continues to impress over many years. The PS4 already feels like its been on the market for years. The fact ps3 is still sitting next to it on store shelves, is getting new games, and has a much bigger library makes ps4 look like a failure/novelty device.

The average consumer doesn't care about these things. If the did then consoles would be dead and everyone would own a powerful gaming PC.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@emgesp said:

@Heirren said:

The average consumer doesn't care about these things. If the did then consoles would be dead and everyone would own a powerful gaming PC.

it is exactly what consumer look for--product support.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#56  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@emgesp said:

@commander said:

@emgesp said:

@commander said:

Even for 400$ the ps4 is a crap system. The whole idea of a console is that you get more than a pc for your money with high accesibility.

The ps4 isn't even packing 400$ in hardware.

Ummm, actually it is. Manufacturing costs for the PS4 was around $370 at launch. The costs might have gone down some since, but it was very close to the $400 price.

You couldn't build a PC as powerful as a PS4 for $399.99 in 2013.

Sony and Microsoft were smart not to sell the hardware at a loss this generation. Just not very practical. It just means we won't have to wait another 8 yrs for new hardware. Sony and Microsoft will probably go back to a 5 year lifecycle.

Well it was a smart decision for them, they conquered the market and obliterated the competition and that's why they could pull off this scam. It's a damn shame nintendo released that wii u, if they waited and released a strong console they could have scored an open goal.

However, they're working on a new console right now. If they would be fast they could still simply obliterate sony and microsoft. The only problem would be servers i think.

And you can be sure the costs have come down to build a ps4, but even then the ps4 is an unbalanced console, they didn't need that gddr5 as system ram, but they did need a faster cpu, the gpu could have been a bit slower even. It would have been a great system at 900p and at a lower cost. Now it's a crap system at 1080p and 900p and it still costs more to make than it should.

There is always a benefit to having faster ram. The XB1 could have benefited by using GDDR5 as well. The CPU's were intentionally not given priority because Sony and Microsoft knew that developers would soon develop their games using the GPGPU features in the hardware down the road. Having a very powerful CPU in these consoles would be a moot point as soon as you see developers moving intensive CPU tasks to the GPU.

The only thing that matters to me is that the PS4 is a decent upgrade over the PS3. I don't use high end PC hardware as the standard because it is not reasonable to expect a $399.99 console to compete with high end PC's. The PS4 is as powerful a console Sony could have made at $399.99 without taking a huge loss.

Not really , faster ram has higher latency and the higher bandwith makes up for that. However when you can't fill that bandwith the latency wil manifest, and that's exactly what happens when you pair a slow cpu with very fast ram.

ddr4 is not even as fast as the gddr5 in the ps4 system ram, yet the haswell e versions are 6 core intels at minimum. Even the slowest haswell e is already more than three times the speed of the ps4's cpu.

Robert_Mueller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Robert_Mueller
Member since 2015 • 164 Posts

@commander said:
While the ps4 could still pull of last gen ports at 1080p, the cpu in the ps4 can't handle next gen games and need to free up gpu power to do cpu tasks. Playing on the ps4 is simply nauseating with the latest games.

The rather weak CPU of the PS4 is not a new phenomenon at all. Many consoles had rather weak CPUs and needed to swap out tasks to coprocessors in order to achieve competitive performance. Remember how ridiculously weak the CPU of the SNES was. Actually, even the PPE core of the PS3's Cell was ridiculously weak. The only difference was, that it did not use its likewise weak GPU for compensation, but rather it's SPEs/SPUs. But why do you think that compensating via SPEs/SPUs is any better than compensating via GPGPU?

Sony needs to come up with better gpgpu tools or the devs need to get creative.

Of course they need to do this, and they are already working on it. That has always been the plan since a very early design phase. But optimization cannot be performed in theory. You need to wait for the final hardware and study its behavior via a try and error approach. Thus, it is simply not possible to provide a chain of development tools for low level optimization at the launch of new console. That has never happened and will never happen, regardless whether you use x86 or some more exotic instruction set.

1. The optimal tricks to utilize the PS4's GPGPU capabilities have to be discovered in an try and error approach.
  2. The development infrastructure has to be optimized for GPGPU. This includes changes to libraries and middleware like Havok.
  3. The game developers have to figure out which tasks can be performed efficiently via GPGPU (this is partly try and error).
  4. The game developers must perform as many tasks as possible via GPGPU (this is similar effort as with the SPUs of the Cell processor).
  5. All the tasks that remain for the CPU must be distributed as efficiently as possible across the six CPU cores that are available for the game developers. This includes restructuring the main thread of current game engines.

This is exactly why Sony says that we will have to wait until 2016 or 2017 to see games that utilize the full potential of the PS4. Man, that is completely normal. It has always been the timeline for any console before. Why should it be different this time? Only because they use the x86 instruction set? That is a ridiculous claim. The PS4 still has enough exotic peculiarities that need to be understood before its potential can be exploited.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 emgesp

@robert_mueller said:

@commander said:
While the ps4 could still pull of last gen ports at 1080p, the cpu in the ps4 can't handle next gen games and need to free up gpu power to do cpu tasks. Playing on the ps4 is simply nauseating with the latest games.

The rather weak CPU of the PS4 is not a new phenomenon at all. Many consoles had rather weak CPUs and needed to swap out tasks to coprocessors in order to achieve competitive performance. Remember how ridiculously weak the CPU of the SNES was. Actually, even the PPE core of the PS3's Cell was ridiculously weak. The only difference was, that it did not use its likewise weak GPU for compensation, but rather it's SPEs/SPUs. But why do you think that compensating via SPEs/SPUs is any better than compensating via GPGPU?

Sony needs to come up with better gpgpu tools or the devs need to get creative.

Of course they need to do this, and they are already working on it. That has always been the plan since a very early design phase. But optimization cannot be performed in theory. You need to wait for the final hardware and study its behavior via a try and error approach. Thus, it is simply not possible to provide a chain of development tools for low level optimization at the launch of new console. That has never happened and will never happen, regardless whether you use x86 or some more exotic instruction set.

1. The optimal tricks to utilize the PS4's GPGPU capabilities have to be discovered in an try and error approach.
  2. The development infrastructure has to be optimized for GPGPU. This includes changes to libraries and middleware like Havok.
  3. The game developers have to figure out which tasks can be performed efficiently via GPGPU (this is partly try and error).
  4. The game developers must perform as many tasks as possible via GPGPU (this is similar effort as with the SPUs of the Cell processor).
  5. All the tasks that remain for the CPU must be distributed as efficiently as possible across the six CPU cores that are available for the game developers. This includes restructuring the main thread of current game engines.

This is exactly why Sony says that we will have to wait until 2016 or 2017 to see games that utilize the full potential of the PS4. Man, that is completely normal. It has always been the timeline for any console before. Why should it be different this time? Only because they use the x86 instruction set? That is a ridiculous claim. The PS4 still has enough exotic peculiarities that need to be understood before its potential can be exploited.

The PPE Core of the PS4 is actually the same core the XBOX 360 uses, but the 360 uses 3 of them. I wouldn't say it was weak in 2005/2006. Though, it being an in order processor was a limiting factor.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#59  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Then don't play on a damn console. If 1080p60 means so much to you then keep gaming on the PC. It's that simple.

Nobody seemed to give a shit last gen about 720p (or lower) and 30 fps. Consoles and console games sold at record highs. The only people who care are PC gamers who bitch about console games on the forums. That's it. The rest of the market doesn't give a crap. The PS4 is over 18 million sold and the Xbox One is in double digit millions itself despite the near 24/7 console bashing by PC gamers that goes on throughout the internet.

You're the minority in the market. Deal with it and let it go. Average gamers do not let resolution and framerate ruin their fun unless there is an actual technical issue with either. Most people just don't care and they go on enjoying video games regardless of the technical aspects. If the technicals mean so much to you then keep on gaming on the PC.

freakbabyblues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#60 freakbabyblues
Member since 2009 • 693 Posts

@FastRobby said:

The gameplay on Xbox One is sickening? You probably want to say graphics, and you clearly haven't seen Ryse on Xbox One then

The most impressive parts of Ryse are all pre-rendered.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d307c5efcda
deactivated-57d307c5efcda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#61 deactivated-57d307c5efcda
Member since 2009 • 1302 Posts

@commander said:

It has come to my attention that the next gen consoles trying to do things that they can't.

The xboxone simply doesn't have the graphical capabilities to do 1080p, even with the esram and numerous optimizations. The gameplay is simply sickening. While the ps4 could still pull of last gen ports at 1080p, the cpu in the ps4 can't handle next gen games and need to free up gpu power to do cpu tasks. Playing on the ps4 is simply nauseating with the latest games.

This is for the following reason, 30 fps for all that shader goodness is simply not enough. You need more than that, it was enough for last gen games but now there is simply too much detail to have a fluent experience. Not to mention it drops beneath 30 fps. The xboxone is getting a bit better because they leave that 1080p mark behind again, games like call of duty aw and far cry 4 run way smoother than gta V and destiny for instance. The ps4 hasn't gotten there yet since it doesn't matter if the ps4 runs it at 1080p or 900p, the cpu still struggles. Sony needs to come up with better gpgpu tools or the devs need to get creative. They need to make the game run at lower resolution and let the gpu do more cpu tasks.

It's just not fun anymore to play on a console. I like the pc as well but as of late it seems to be a necessity to play on the pc, while lately i only used the pc for exclusives or for games that had major differences in quality, like last gen games for instance. But now I need to play on the pc simply because I have too, to me the latest games on the consoles are not playable. If I had these kind of frames on my pc, the first thing I would do is either lower the resolution and/or lower the detail settings.

Sadly on a console you can't and the devs put you through nauseating roller coaster rides. Sorry but If I really wanted that, I go the amusement park. I could understand this if it was the end of a gen, but this gen has hardly even started even while the console are released more than a year ago.

If only nintendo could release a viable console, the ps4 and x1 are not really good consoles What's even worse is that they sell like hotcakes. Has the consumer really become that easy?

It's been this way since always. I don't know why all of a sudden 30fps is "nauseating". 60 fps is always preferable, but 30 fps is perfectly playable and has been in 3-D graphics since the PS1.

Did you know many N64 games ran at 24fps? Look up Ocarina of Time's FPS, locked to 24.

I don't get it, even on PC games, my goal is to max the graphics as much as possible and have played many games at 30fps. It's not a big deal like you and many of the elitists try to make it out to be.

There is a difference, but is in no way sickening. 60fps is like have some extra butter.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 commander

@ryangcnx-2 said:

@commander said:

It has come to my attention that the next gen consoles trying to do things that they can't.

The xboxone simply doesn't have the graphical capabilities to do 1080p, even with the esram and numerous optimizations. The gameplay is simply sickening. While the ps4 could still pull of last gen ports at 1080p, the cpu in the ps4 can't handle next gen games and need to free up gpu power to do cpu tasks. Playing on the ps4 is simply nauseating with the latest games.

This is for the following reason, 30 fps for all that shader goodness is simply not enough. You need more than that, it was enough for last gen games but now there is simply too much detail to have a fluent experience. Not to mention it drops beneath 30 fps. The xboxone is getting a bit better because they leave that 1080p mark behind again, games like call of duty aw and far cry 4 run way smoother than gta V and destiny for instance. The ps4 hasn't gotten there yet since it doesn't matter if the ps4 runs it at 1080p or 900p, the cpu still struggles. Sony needs to come up with better gpgpu tools or the devs need to get creative. They need to make the game run at lower resolution and let the gpu do more cpu tasks.

It's just not fun anymore to play on a console. I like the pc as well but as of late it seems to be a necessity to play on the pc, while lately i only used the pc for exclusives or for games that had major differences in quality, like last gen games for instance. But now I need to play on the pc simply because I have too, to me the latest games on the consoles are not playable. If I had these kind of frames on my pc, the first thing I would do is either lower the resolution and/or lower the detail settings.

Sadly on a console you can't and the devs put you through nauseating roller coaster rides. Sorry but If I really wanted that, I go the amusement park. I could understand this if it was the end of a gen, but this gen has hardly even started even while the console are released more than a year ago.

If only nintendo could release a viable console, the ps4 and x1 are not really good consoles What's even worse is that they sell like hotcakes. Has the consumer really become that easy?

It's been this way since always. I don't know why all of a sudden 30fps is "nauseating". 60 fps is always preferable, but 30 fps is perfectly playable and has been in 3-D graphics since the PS1.

Did you know many N64 games ran at 24fps? Look up Ocarina of Time's FPS, locked to 24.

I don't get it, even on PC games, my goal is to max the graphics as much as possible and have played many games at 30fps. It's not a big deal like you and many of the elitists try to make it out to be.

There is a difference, but is in no way sickening. 60fps is like have some extra butter.

That maybe true, but I was saying '30 fps for all that shader goodness is simply not enough'. That means with current detail settings , 30fps is not enough, it's enough for old 3d games, even x360/ps3 games, but not for current gen games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 deactivated-57d307c5efcda

@commander said:

@ryangcnx-2 said:

@commander said:

That maybe true, but I was saying '30 fps for all that shader goodness is simply not enough'. That means with current detail settings , 30fps is not enough, it's enough for old 3d games, even x360/ps3 games, but not for current gen games

I played Crysis 3 at 1440p, Ultra and locked to 30fps just fine on my PC. Your reasoning is BS. Just because there are more shaders doesn't mean that a higher FPS is needed. While I'm not saying 60fps is not noticeable, 30 fps is just fine. 60fps is like having an extra topping. But I would rather have extra eye candy than 60fps. New games vs. old games doesn't make a damn difference.

Get off your high horse.

Edo-Tensei_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Edo-Tensei_
Member since 2015 • 173 Posts

You need to go outside, take a breath, then come right back and delete this shit thread. When I play games like Ocarina Of Time and Shadow Of The Colossus both of which tend to play at 20 fps most of the time I have a great experience as if I was playing them for the first time. Video games are video games bro, and you can enjoy them on any device from a super computer to a pong machine. Games will always feel fake and meant for fun regardless of how realistic they are drawn. A lot of PC idiots like you act like games are only playable at top of the line visuals to the point they dismiss any game that doesn't involve state of the art PC hardware and techniques. The consoles are priced at a fair price point and consoles in the past were priced similarly. Yes PC has a significant visual advantage, and all of us that have played PC versions of games can agree with that. But that doesn't mean the console version of games are unplayable or that console exclusives from the big three are unplayable either. It's a dumb argument.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 deactivated-57d307c5efcda

The thing is your wrong. IF there were no consoles and only PC's and lets say only the GTX 970 and GTX 980 existed, games would still be 30fps at their highest settings. It's always best to shoot for the prettiest image and 30 fps. PC is only 60 fps + higher on many games because the developers are aiming towards lower end hardware. This doesn't point to consoles only. Most PC gamers have a GTX 750ti or below, meaning those of us who buy the GTX 970's, 980's or whatever AMD equivalent are only doing it for the extra gravy. Consoles do not hold stuff back, they allow PC gamers to buy more expensive hardware to play it in a higher FPS. If all PC's were equivalent, then at max settings games wouldn't be at 60fps unless the developer held back stuff to make it 60fps.

For most games, 30 fps is fine. Back in the day, I played Crysis at medium/high settings at 1440 x 900 at about 30fps rather than low and 720p at 60fps.

Halo2-Best-FPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Halo2-Best-FPS
Member since 2004 • 784 Posts

PC is the one that needs to adapt.

SHOW ME one game that looks better than The Order , on PC. ONE GAME.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 commander

@ryangcnx-2 said:

@commander said:

@ryangcnx-2 said:

@commander said:

I played Crysis 3 at 1440p, Ultra and locked to 30fps just fine on my PC. Your reasoning is BS. Just because there are more shaders doesn't mean that a higher FPS is needed. While I'm not saying 60fps is not noticeable, 30 fps is just fine. 60fps is like having an extra topping. But I would rather have extra eye candy than 60fps. New games vs. old games doesn't make a damn difference.

Get off your high horse.

That 30 fps lock is way better than console lock where it dips. IF you can lock 30 fps and keep it rock stable at all times, yeah that's a difference as well but then you'll need extra horsepower.

This has nothing to do with elitism, but playability.

I don't know about crysis 3 because i haven't played it yet. But 30 fps for ac unity and gta IV are not enough, not when you can't keep it rock stable anyway,