The Most Underrated JRPG of the Generation

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Gue1 (10189 posts) -

White Knight Chronicles 2

Completely customizable characters from armor to weapon and fighting styles. Huge maps, terrific multiplayer (Sony already shut it down though since no one played it), tons of side-quest and very traditional story-telling and characters.

The Last Remnant

Easily one of the most exciting turn-based strategy game ever made.

Because games like these flopped in sales and scores while mediocrity like FF13 sells 7-8 millions it's why JRPG games on consoles suck so bad.

#2 Posted by silversix_ (14785 posts) -

Oh gawd i remember the hype for white knight and how it flopped. The truth is, i don't think i've played a single good jrpg or at least nowhere near the quality of something like Golden Sun this gen.

#3 Posted by Netret0120 (2197 posts) -

Final Fantasy will always sell because it is Final Fantasy.

Many people did not enjoy it but it was a MASSIVE commercial success and has a decent metacritic score too.

I agree with those JRPG's. Underrated gems.

#4 Posted by Suppaman100 (3936 posts) -

Ar Tonelico Qoga is underrated.

Same with Folklore.

#5 Posted by CTR360 (7102 posts) -

tales of graces f tales of xilia tales of vesperia last story xenoblade

#6 Posted by lamprey263 (24135 posts) -

Persona 3 and 4, though they released on the PS2 during the gen overlap, wouldn't call it underrated though, just a considerable lack of commercial support, that other niche weeaboo shit deserves to be ignored these Persona games are gems.

#7 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2735 posts) -

persona 3 fes and 4 golden

#8 Edited by Sweenix (5399 posts) -

@CTR360 said:

tales of graces f tales of xilia tales of vesperia last story xenoblade

#9 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

#10 Posted by skanjos (644 posts) -

last remnant suffered alot of frame drops, it was unplayable at times.... white knight was a good game overall but too much repetitive

#11 Edited by MassiveKaos (3876 posts) -

Wkc was one of the games that had me leaning to ps3 over 360 when the gen started. Needless to say the game flopped hard but I ended up buying both systems but never playing it. Saw the last remnant on multiple ovations for 10 bucks and was tempted to buy it but haven't yet.

#12 Edited by GhoX (5027 posts) -

I played Last Remnant on PC. No framerate problem at 1440p, haha. Tried White Knight, too grindy.

The last screenshot is from Infinite Undiscovery. Looked interesting, but it received mixed reviews and isn't available on PS3.

@ShepardCommandr said:

persona 3 fes and 4 golden

Those were anything but underrated. The Persona games are some of the most well-received JRPGs out there.

#13 Posted by Zaraxius (205 posts) -

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Game of the Generation, in my opinion) and The Last Story (also excellent).

#14 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26572 posts) -

WKC is a good game though I think it could have been more if they focused on sp more then making a mp game.Also what was the point of taking a shot at FF13.

#15 Edited by finalfantasy94 (26572 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

Ar Tonelico Qoga is underrated.

Same with Folklore.

Folklore was awesome I dont know if it counts as a jrpg. Though I will agree its a underrated game though.I loved the artstyle also absorbing monsters was fun.I own Ar tonelico qoga LE and its one of the games I do want to get around to.

#16 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7321 posts) -

@finalfantasy94 said:

WKC is a good game though I think it could have been more if they focused on sp more then making a mp game.Also what was the point of taking a shot at FF13.

I didn't realize WKC was multiplayer focused. Is it not worth picking up now that the online has been taken down?

#17 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42970 posts) -

Is there such a thing?

#18 Posted by Heil68 (45145 posts) -

Lost Odyssey

#19 Edited by finalfantasy94 (26572 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

WKC is a good game though I think it could have been more if they focused on sp more then making a mp game.Also what was the point of taking a shot at FF13.

I didn't realize WKC was multiplayer focused. Is it not worth picking up now that the online has been taken down?

Theres a single player mode with a story is just it felt like if they focused more on the single player instead of spliting the work between both it could have been more then it is.At least in my eyes.THe game is pretty cheap now and WKC2 comes with part 1 so if your interested I say its worth a play.

#20 Posted by bbkkristian (14955 posts) -

@finalfantasy94: @Suppaman100: Ar Tonelico Qoga (ps3) is one of the worst JRPGs of the previous gen for good reason.

#21 Edited by finalfantasy94 (26572 posts) -

@bbkkristian said:

@finalfantasy94: @Suppaman100: Ar Tonelico Qoga (ps3) is one of the worst JRPGs of the previous gen for good reason.

Was it voted that or something?All I have to say is I played the first fight and it got my attention so far.

#22 Posted by Suppaman100 (3936 posts) -
@bbkkristian said:

@finalfantasy94: @Suppaman100: Ar Tonelico Qoga (ps3) is one of the worst JRPGs of the previous gen for good reason.

Disagree, it's a special type of JRPG. It's for a select crowd, but yes, most people wouldn't like it though.

#23 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

Ar Tonelico Qoga is underrated.

Same with Folklore.

Agreed.

#24 Edited by bbkkristian (14955 posts) -

@finalfantasy94: it's weeboo fanservice in a nutshell (I normally refrain from using that word, but there there is nothing better to describe it: your mages take off their clothes to generate magic power), with a crap story, annoying characters, and not even 3d environments (characters walking on a painting). I just could not compel myself to finish it. All of this is my opinion, of course.

#25 Posted by Suppaman100 (3936 posts) -

@bbkkristian: Lol, everything you say is true but that's also one of the reasons it's good. (for a select group of people)

#26 Edited by turtlethetaffer (16788 posts) -

Not sure if Knights in the Nightmare technically counts, but that.

There's also Radiant Historia, Dragon Quest IX and the Last Story. Don't want to say Xenoblade because plenty of people online praise it.

#27 Edited by finalfantasy94 (26572 posts) -

@bbkkristian said:

@finalfantasy94: it's weeboo fanservice in a nutshell (I normally refrain from using that word, but there there is nothing better to describe it: your mages take off their clothes to generate magic power), with a crap story, annoying characters, and not even 3d environments (characters walking on a painting). I just could not compel myself to finish it. All of this is my opinion, of course.

Well I cant really say much since like I said i havent really dug into it.Though I did know about the whole clothes thing.ill find out sooner or later if its to my liking.

#28 Posted by Some-Mist (5630 posts) -

but I'd vouch to say they were hardly rated for 2010 (pier solar and the great architects) and 2006 (mother 3) titles.

#29 Posted by Joedgabe (5114 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

Ar Tonelico Qoga is underrated.

Same with Folklore.

That game was shit, The first and second one were perverted too but the story and gameplay of part 1 and 2 were good but Qoga was shit all around. Characters were not likeable ( except Cocona ), Combat sucked, and it was heavily perverted into the loli section to be worse. You'd had to be a damn pedophile to enjoy that part of the game. Good thing the characters were strong in combat i didn't even have to use songs for the most part. Only reason i played it and beat it was because Cocona is awesome.

On Actual Topic: Never played White Knights Chronicles, but to me the most underrated JRPG was Arc Rise Fantasia. A million times better than that "Free MMORPG wanna but ended up being a lower quality than it" that was Xenoblade Chronicles.

#31 Posted by klonoafanboy122 (203 posts) -

atelier rorona:

i do know this game has a very love it or hate it relationship with people but its a fun little gem is it a masterpiece no is it the most polished rpg ever no but i do think gust made a farly fun little jrpg hell im not even a big jrpg fan yet i found alot of fun out of this game its got a nice artstyle the music is catchy and its quite addicting id give it about a 7.5 out of 10 because it is a decent title and i say pick it up if you have the chance if your a fan of the ganre(and yes ive played totori and it was awesome btw but i havent played it as much as rorona so yeah)

mother 3:

i know its a gba game but since this game was released around about he time the ps3,xbox 360 was out im gonna let this one slide, In my opinion i think mother 3 surpases the mediocre as hell earthbound in every way the story was better,the characters where better,the humour was better and even the music was better its a real shame this didnt get a official us release (other than the fan translation) because this is a fantastic game and my 6th fav game of all time id give it a 9.9 out of 10 but thats just me ^^

#32 Posted by klonoafanboy122 (203 posts) -

@lamprey263 said:

Persona 3 and 4, though they released on the PS2 during the gen overlap, wouldn't call it underrated though, just a considerable lack of commercial support, that other niche weeaboo shit deserves to be ignored these Persona games are gems.

persona 3 and 4 are far from underrated hell persona 4 is baicly the ff7 of the ps2 because of how ovverated it is (great game though)

and as for the whole niche weeaboo shit thing dude seriously

1:just because its niche doent automaticly make the game bad they jut aint as popular as other games

2:the games themselves aint weeaboo its the rabid fans who play them i play atelier but i dont obsess over it i just find it a fun little game and besides theres plenty of good jrpgs on ps3/360 if you give them a chance ever played valkyria chronicles before?

#33 Edited by lundy86_4 (43526 posts) -

After WKC I had no incentive to play the second, which might've been drastically better for all i know. Honestly, I don't really know of an underrated JRPG, bar a few mentions in this thread (Mother 3, for example).

Wooooooow... Necro thread.

#34 Posted by jg4xchamp (48338 posts) -

Valkyria Chronicles

Forgot being one of the best jrpgs(sprgs, whatever) this gen, that's not hard, but it's also one of the absolute best games of the gen. Love that fucking game.

#35 Posted by bbkkristian (14955 posts) -

Old thread, but I never voiced my opinion: Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon. The game was challenging, had a great soundtrack of rearranged FF tunes, cool dungeons, and was visually appealing.

#36 Posted by klonoafanboy122 (203 posts) -

@lundy86_4 said:

After WKC I had no incentive to play the second, which might've been drastically better for all i know. Honestly, I don't really know of an underrated JRPG, bar a few mentions in this thread (Mother 3, for example).

Wooooooow... Necro thread.

mother 3 is probebly not even underrated in japan come to think of it since he mother series is really popular over there its more underrated due to the fact people always pick earhtbound over it

#37 Posted by klonoafanboy122 (203 posts) -
@bbkkristian said:

@finalfantasy94: it's weeboo fanservice in a nutshell (I normally refrain from using that word, but there there is nothing better to describe it: your mages take off their clothes to generate magic power), with a crap story, annoying characters, and not even 3d environments (characters walking on a painting). I just could not compel myself to finish it. All of this is my opinion, of course.

yeah annoying characters is exactly the reason why i coudnt stand hyperdemension neptunia,blue dragon,ni no kuni etc and yeah they still use 2d sprites in console games sure some sprites can look amazing (like dragons crown for example) but ones like disgaea look like crap

the only exception to a game with a bad story that i didnt mind was either atelier or grandia

atelier for the overall adictiveness of it (ive only played the ps3 ones though and they used 3d character models)

and grandia for the awesome battle system and decent spritework (keep in mind this was a sega saturn/ps1 game)

#38 Posted by AdamPA1006 (6420 posts) -

Valkyria Chronicles and Xenoblade. Both got some love and recognition, but not quite what they deserve.

#40 Posted by Underdog123x (266 posts) -

JRPG's stopped being good over a decade ago, now the only people who like JRPG's are the same people who like Hentai

#41 Edited by klonoafanboy122 (203 posts) -
@underdog123x said:

JRPG's stopped being good over a decade ago, now the only people who like JRPG's are the same people who like Hentai

-.- u kidding me

if people didt play jrpgs why the f**k is pokemon one of the best selling series of all time answer me that

oh and not all jrpgs ARE HENTAI GAMES DAMMIT that is the dumbest stereotype ever i can understand the weeaboo complain alittle bit but not this one i dont play games like atelier or pokemon because i like hentai i play them because i think there good games i play western games just as much as i play them so yeah

#42 Posted by yokofox33 (29878 posts) -

Valkyria Chronicles and Valkyria Chronicles 2 are the winners. Fantastic games. VC2 has so much going for it. So many things to do in that game. Such a shame VC3 never made it to the States.

#43 Posted by Underdog123x (266 posts) -

@klonoafanboy122 said:
@underdog123x said:

JRPG's stopped being good over a decade ago, now the only people who like JRPG's are the same people who like Hentai

-.- u kidding me

if people didt play jrpgs why the f**k is pokemon one of the best selling series of all time answer me that

oh and not all jrpgs ARE HENTAI GAMES DAMMIT that is the dumbest stereotype ever i can understand the weeaboo complain alittle bit but not this one i dont play games like atelier or pokemon because i like hentai i play them because i think there good games i play western games just as much as i play them so yeah

Pokemon is for retarded people

#44 Posted by klonoafanboy122 (203 posts) -

@underdog123x said:

@klonoafanboy122 said:
@underdog123x said:

JRPG's stopped being good over a decade ago, now the only people who like JRPG's are the same people who like Hentai

-.- u kidding me

if people didt play jrpgs why the f**k is pokemon one of the best selling series of all time answer me that

oh and not all jrpgs ARE HENTAI GAMES DAMMIT that is the dumbest stereotype ever i can understand the weeaboo complain alittle bit but not this one i dont play games like atelier or pokemon because i like hentai i play them because i think there good games i play western games just as much as i play them so yeah

Pokemon is for retarded people

-.- no it isnt dude pokemon is for all ages

i can like whatever game i want and noone is gonna tell me other wise ok ^^

#45 Posted by bbkkristian (14955 posts) -

@AdamPA1006: each copy of Xenoblade deserves to be in a museum.

#46 Posted by PsychoLemons (2111 posts) -

Dragon Quest IX, Valkyria Chronicles and The Last Story.

#47 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42970 posts) -

Necro thread.