The Most Underrated JRPG of the Generation

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

White Knight Chronicles 2

Completely customizable characters from armor to weapon and fighting styles. Huge maps, terrific multiplayer (Sony already shut it down though since no one played it), tons of side-quest and very traditional story-telling and characters.

The Last Remnant

Easily one of the most exciting turn-based strategy game ever made.

Because games like these flopped in sales and scores while mediocrity like FF13 sells 7-8 millions it's why JRPG games on consoles suck so bad.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Oh gawd i remember the hype for white knight and how it flopped. The truth is, i don't think i've played a single good jrpg or at least nowhere near the quality of something like Golden Sun this gen.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

Final Fantasy will always sell because it is Final Fantasy.

Many people did not enjoy it but it was a MASSIVE commercial success and has a decent metacritic score too.

I agree with those JRPG's. Underrated gems.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

Ar Tonelico Qoga is underrated.

Same with Folklore.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

tales of graces f tales of xilia tales of vesperia last story xenoblade

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Persona 3 and 4, though they released on the PS2 during the gen overlap, wouldn't call it underrated though, just a considerable lack of commercial support, that other niche weeaboo shit deserves to be ignored these Persona games are gems.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

persona 3 fes and 4 golden

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

@CTR360 said:

tales of graces f tales of xilia tales of vesperia last story xenoblade

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

skanjos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 skanjos
Member since 2006 • 647 Posts

last remnant suffered alot of frame drops, it was unplayable at times.... white knight was a good game overall but too much repetitive

MassiveKaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11  Edited By MassiveKaos
Member since 2006 • 3876 Posts

Wkc was one of the games that had me leaning to ps3 over 360 when the gen started. Needless to say the game flopped hard but I ended up buying both systems but never playing it. Saw the last remnant on multiple ovations for 10 bucks and was tempted to buy it but haven't yet.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#12  Edited By GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

I played Last Remnant on PC. No framerate problem at 1440p, haha. Tried White Knight, too grindy.

The last screenshot is from Infinite Undiscovery. Looked interesting, but it received mixed reviews and isn't available on PS3.

@ShepardCommandr said:

persona 3 fes and 4 golden

Those were anything but underrated. The Persona games are some of the most well-received JRPGs out there.

Zaraxius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 Zaraxius
Member since 2013 • 221 Posts

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Game of the Generation, in my opinion) and The Last Story (also excellent).

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

WKC is a good game though I think it could have been more if they focused on sp more then making a mp game.Also what was the point of taking a shot at FF13.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By finalfantasy94

@Suppaman100 said:

Same with Folklore.

Folklore was awesome I dont know if it counts as a jrpg. Though I will agree its a underrated game though.I loved the artstyle also absorbing monsters was fun.I own Ar tonelico qoga LE and its one of the games I do want to get around to.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@finalfantasy94 said:

WKC is a good game though I think it could have been more if they focused on sp more then making a mp game.Also what was the point of taking a shot at FF13.

I didn't realize WKC was multiplayer focused. Is it not worth picking up now that the online has been taken down?

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#17 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

Is there such a thing?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60711 Posts

Lost Odyssey

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By finalfantasy94

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

I didn't realize WKC was multiplayer focused. Is it not worth picking up now that the online has been taken down?

Theres a single player mode with a story is just it felt like if they focused more on the single player instead of spliting the work between both it could have been more then it is.At least in my eyes.THe game is pretty cheap now and WKC2 comes with part 1 so if your interested I say its worth a play.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#20 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

@finalfantasy94: @Suppaman100: Ar Tonelico Qoga (ps3) is one of the worst JRPGs of the previous gen for good reason.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By finalfantasy94

@bbkkristian said:

@finalfantasy94: @Suppaman100: Ar Tonelico Qoga (ps3) is one of the worst JRPGs of the previous gen for good reason.

Was it voted that or something?All I have to say is I played the first fight and it got my attention so far.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Suppaman100
@bbkkristian said:

Disagree, it's a special type of JRPG. It's for a select crowd, but yes, most people wouldn't like it though.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23 XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

@Suppaman100 said:

Same with Folklore.

Agreed.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By bbkkristian

@finalfantasy94: it's weeboo fanservice in a nutshell (I normally refrain from using that word, but there there is nothing better to describe it: your mages take off their clothes to generate magic power), with a crap story, annoying characters, and not even 3d environments (characters walking on a painting). I just could not compel myself to finish it. All of this is my opinion, of course.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Suppaman100

@bbkkristian: Lol, everything you say is true but that's also one of the reasons it's good. (for a select group of people)

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#26  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Not sure if Knights in the Nightmare technically counts, but that.

There's also Radiant Historia, Dragon Quest IX and the Last Story. Don't want to say Xenoblade because plenty of people online praise it.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By finalfantasy94

@bbkkristian said:

@finalfantasy94: it's weeboo fanservice in a nutshell (I normally refrain from using that word, but there there is nothing better to describe it: your mages take off their clothes to generate magic power), with a crap story, annoying characters, and not even 3d environments (characters walking on a painting). I just could not compel myself to finish it. All of this is my opinion, of course.

Well I cant really say much since like I said i havent really dug into it.Though I did know about the whole clothes thing.ill find out sooner or later if its to my liking.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

but I'd vouch to say they were hardly rated for 2010 (pier solar and the great architects) and 2006 (mother 3) titles.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

@Suppaman100 said:

Same with Folklore.

That game was shit, The first and second one were perverted too but the story and gameplay of part 1 and 2 were good but Qoga was shit all around. Characters were not likeable ( except Cocona ), Combat sucked, and it was heavily perverted into the loli section to be worse. You'd had to be a damn pedophile to enjoy that part of the game. Good thing the characters were strong in combat i didn't even have to use songs for the most part. Only reason i played it and beat it was because Cocona is awesome.

On Actual Topic: Never played White Knights Chronicles, but to me the most underrated JRPG was Arc Rise Fantasia. A million times better than that "Free MMORPG wanna but ended up being a lower quality than it" that was Xenoblade Chronicles.

Avatar image for klonoafanboy122
klonoafanboy122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 klonoafanboy122
Member since 2013 • 232 Posts

atelier rorona:

i do know this game has a very love it or hate it relationship with people but its a fun little gem is it a masterpiece no is it the most polished rpg ever no but i do think gust made a farly fun little jrpg hell im not even a big jrpg fan yet i found alot of fun out of this game its got a nice artstyle the music is catchy and its quite addicting id give it about a 7.5 out of 10 because it is a decent title and i say pick it up if you have the chance if your a fan of the ganre(and yes ive played totori and it was awesome btw but i havent played it as much as rorona so yeah)

mother 3:

i know its a gba game but since this game was released around about he time the ps3,xbox 360 was out im gonna let this one slide, In my opinion i think mother 3 surpases the mediocre as hell earthbound in every way the story was better,the characters where better,the humour was better and even the music was better its a real shame this didnt get a official us release (other than the fan translation) because this is a fantastic game and my 6th fav game of all time id give it a 9.9 out of 10 but thats just me ^^

klonoafanboy122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 klonoafanboy122

@lamprey263 said:

Persona 3 and 4, though they released on the PS2 during the gen overlap, wouldn't call it underrated though, just a considerable lack of commercial support, that other niche weeaboo shit deserves to be ignored these Persona games are gems.

persona 3 and 4 are far from underrated hell persona 4 is baicly the ff7 of the ps2 because of how ovverated it is (great game though)

and as for the whole niche weeaboo shit thing dude seriously

1:just because its niche doent automaticly make the game bad they jut aint as popular as other games

2:the games themselves aint weeaboo its the rabid fans who play them i play atelier but i dont obsess over it i just find it a fun little game and besides theres plenty of good jrpgs on ps3/360 if you give them a chance ever played valkyria chronicles before?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

After WKC I had no incentive to play the second, which might've been drastically better for all i know. Honestly, I don't really know of an underrated JRPG, bar a few mentions in this thread (Mother 3, for example).

Wooooooow... Necro thread.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#34 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Valkyria Chronicles

Forgot being one of the best jrpgs(sprgs, whatever) this gen, that's not hard, but it's also one of the absolute best games of the gen. Love that fucking game.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 bbkkristian

Old thread, but I never voiced my opinion: Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon. The game was challenging, had a great soundtrack of rearranged FF tunes, cool dungeons, and was visually appealing.

klonoafanboy122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 klonoafanboy122

@lundy86_4 said:

After WKC I had no incentive to play the second, which might've been drastically better for all i know. Honestly, I don't really know of an underrated JRPG, bar a few mentions in this thread (Mother 3, for example).

Wooooooow... Necro thread.

mother 3 is probebly not even underrated in japan come to think of it since he mother series is really popular over there its more underrated due to the fact people always pick earhtbound over it

klonoafanboy122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 klonoafanboy122
@bbkkristian said:

yeah annoying characters is exactly the reason why i coudnt stand hyperdemension neptunia,blue dragon,ni no kuni etc and yeah they still use 2d sprites in console games sure some sprites can look amazing (like dragons crown for example) but ones like disgaea look like crap

the only exception to a game with a bad story that i didnt mind was either atelier or grandia

atelier for the overall adictiveness of it (ive only played the ps3 ones though and they used 3d character models)

and grandia for the awesome battle system and decent spritework (keep in mind this was a sega saturn/ps1 game)

AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 AdamPA1006
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

Valkyria Chronicles and Xenoblade. Both got some love and recognition, but not quite what they deserve.

klonoafanboy122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By klonoafanboy122
@underdog123x said:

JRPG's stopped being good over a decade ago, now the only people who like JRPG's are the same people who like Hentai

-.- u kidding me

if people didt play jrpgs why the f**k is pokemon one of the best selling series of all time answer me that

oh and not all jrpgs ARE HENTAI GAMES DAMMIT that is the dumbest stereotype ever i can understand the weeaboo complain alittle bit but not this one i dont play games like atelier or pokemon because i like hentai i play them because i think there good games i play western games just as much as i play them so yeah

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Valkyria Chronicles and Valkyria Chronicles 2 are the winners. Fantastic games. VC2 has so much going for it. So many things to do in that game. Such a shame VC3 never made it to the States.

klonoafanboy122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 klonoafanboy122

@underdog123x said:

@klonoafanboy122 said:
@underdog123x said:

JRPG's stopped being good over a decade ago, now the only people who like JRPG's are the same people who like Hentai

-.- u kidding me

if people didt play jrpgs why the f**k is pokemon one of the best selling series of all time answer me that

oh and not all jrpgs ARE HENTAI GAMES DAMMIT that is the dumbest stereotype ever i can understand the weeaboo complain alittle bit but not this one i dont play games like atelier or pokemon because i like hentai i play them because i think there good games i play western games just as much as i play them so yeah

Pokemon is for retarded people

-.- no it isnt dude pokemon is for all ages

i can like whatever game i want and noone is gonna tell me other wise ok ^^

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 bbkkristian

@AdamPA1006: each copy of Xenoblade deserves to be in a museum.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

Dragon Quest IX, Valkyria Chronicles and The Last Story.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#47 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

Necro thread.