The most popular games on Xbox Live in 2012 were...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by SecretPolice (23294 posts) -

No too surprising but I'd be less than honest if I said I wasn't bothered by the fact CoD beats Halo. :cry: :P

Anyway, good to see many of the great XBLA & indies getting the play time.

Any thoughts?

The Story.

---

Ryan Gosling! No, hold on.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 were more popular on Xbox Live in 2012 than Halo 4.

That's according to average unique users per day connected to Xbox Live while playing the games - a handy metric if ever I saw one. Four of the top 10 games were Call of Duty titles, two were FIFA, two Halo and the others Minecraft XBLA (fourth) and Battlefield 3 (eighth). Borderlands 2 and Assassin's Creed 3 were 11th and 12th, respectively, and Far Cry 3 was 18th.

gosling

"Me?"

Xbox Live's Major "Larry Hryb" Nelson compiled the list. He also shared the 20 highest selling Xbox Live Arcade games of 2012; the 20 highest selling Xbox Live Indie games of 2012. The full lists are below.

Minecraft XBLA did phenomenally well. We already know it shifted an incredible 5,002,370 copies in 2012, making it the highest selling XBLA game ever, and so it was that Minecraft XBLA rightly sat the XBLA 2012 chart throne.

Below was other XBLA record breaker Trials Evolution. Below that, the acclaimed Walking Dead series by Telltale (the entire series has done some 8.5 million sales across all platforms).

Surprisingly, it was Pinball FX2 in fourth ahead of Counter-Strike: GO in fifth. Ubisoft's high profile I Am Alive managed eighth.

Eurogamer's Game of the Year 2012, Fez, was 13th.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD was the only Summer of Arcade 2012 game to make the list in 10th. Alan Wake's American Nightmare finished 15th.

In Indie Games land it was mostly Minecraft clones doing the business. CastleMiner Z was top, CastleMiner second, Total Miner: Forge third, FortressCraft Chapter 1 fifth, Murder Miners sixth. Avatar Deathmatch managed to interfere in fourth.

Major Nelson also shared the most popular Games for Windows - Live snore no sorry can't be bothered.

Xbox 360 Top LIVE Titles (based on average UU's per day)

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops II
  2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
  3. Halo 4
  4. Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition
  5. Call of Duty: Black Ops
  6. FIFA Soccer 13
  7. FIFA Soccer 12
  8. Battlefield 3
  9. Halo: Reach
  10. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
  11. Borderlands 2
  12. Assassin's Creed III
  13. Skyrim
  14. Madden NFL 13
  15. Gears of War 3
  16. NBA 2K13
  17. NBA 2K12
  18. Far Cry 3
  19. Grand Theft Auto IV
  20. Forza Motorsport 4

Top Arcade Titles (Full Versions purchased)

1. Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition
  2. Trials Evolution
  3. The Walking Dead
  4. Pinball FX2
  5. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  6. Castle Crashers
  7. Gotham City Impostors
  8. I Am Alive
  9. Fruit Ninja Kinect
  10. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD
  11. Trials HD
  12. Magic 2013
  13. Fez
  14. Dungeon Defenders
  15. Alan Wake's American Nightmare
  16. Peggle
  17. The Simpsons Arcade Game
  18. REAL STEEL
  19. Toy Soldiers: Cold War
  20. Full House Poker

Top Indie Games (Full Versions purchased)

1. CastleMiner Z
  2. CastleMiner
  3. Total Miner: Forge
  4. Avatar Deathmatch
  5. FortressCraft Chapter 1
  6. Murder Miners
  7. The Impossible Game
  8. Avatar Laser Wars 2
  9. The $1 Zombie Game
  10. Avatar Paintball
  11. Avatar Legends
  12. Fortress Wars
  13. Miner Of Duty
  14. Miner4Ever
  15. Avatar Laser Wars
  16. End Of Days: Infected vs Mercs
  17. Toy Stunt Bike 2
  18. Flight Adventure 2
  19. Don't Die Dateless, Dummy!
  20. Block World
#2 Posted by RR360DD (13028 posts) -
Halo 4 beats minecraft :cool:
#3 Posted by Sagem28 (10498 posts) -

I don't think anybody will be surprised by this, tbh.

Also, Ryan was amazing in Gangster Squad.

#4 Posted by AmnesiaHaze (5683 posts) -

Halo 4 beats minecraft :cool:RR360DD
probably because many xbox owners play it rather on PC where online is free :D

#5 Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

BF3 best competitive multiplayer FPS of the gen hangin tough at 8th place REPRESENT B*TCHEEEEZZZZZZZ

#6 Posted by amaneuvering (4016 posts) -

No too surprising but I'd be less than honest if I said I wasn't bothered by the fact CoD beats Halo. :cry: :P

Anyway, good to see many of the great XBLA & indies getting the play time.

Any thoughts?

The Story.

---

Ryan Gosling! No, hold on.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 were more popular on Xbox Live in 2012 than Halo 4.

That's according to average unique users per day connected to Xbox Live while playing the games - a handy metric if ever I saw one. Four of the top 10 games were Call of Duty titles, two were FIFA, two Halo and the others Minecraft XBLA (fourth) and Battlefield 3 (eighth). Borderlands 2 and Assassin's Creed 3 were 11th and 12th, respectively, and Far Cry 3 was 18th.

gosling

"Me?"

Xbox Live's Major "Larry Hryb" Nelson compiled the list. He also shared the 20 highest selling Xbox Live Arcade games of 2012; the 20 highest selling Xbox Live Indie games of 2012. The full lists are below.

Minecraft XBLA did phenomenally well. We already know it shifted an incredible 5,002,370 copies in 2012, making it the highest selling XBLA game ever, and so it was that Minecraft XBLA rightly sat the XBLA 2012 chart throne.

Below was other XBLA record breaker Trials Evolution. Below that, the acclaimed Walking Dead series by Telltale (the entire series has done some 8.5 million sales across all platforms).

Surprisingly, it was Pinball FX2 in fourth ahead of Counter-Strike: GO in fifth. Ubisoft's high profile I Am Alive managed eighth.

Eurogamer's Game of the Year 2012, Fez, was 13th.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD was the only Summer of Arcade 2012 game to make the list in 10th. Alan Wake's American Nightmare finished 15th.

In Indie Games land it was mostly Minecraft clones doing the business. CastleMiner Z was top, CastleMiner second, Total Miner: Forge third, FortressCraft Chapter 1 fifth, Murder Miners sixth. Avatar Deathmatch managed to interfere in fourth.

Major Nelson also shared the most popular Games for Windows - Live snore no sorry can't be bothered.

Xbox 360 Top LIVE Titles (based on average UU's per day)

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops II
  2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
  3. Halo 4
  4. Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition
  5. Call of Duty: Black Ops
  6. FIFA Soccer 13
  7. FIFA Soccer 12
  8. Battlefield 3
  9. Halo: Reach
  10. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
  11. Borderlands 2
  12. Assassin's Creed III
  13. Skyrim
  14. Madden NFL 13
  15. Gears of War 3
  16. NBA 2K13
  17. NBA 2K12
  18. Far Cry 3
  19. Grand Theft Auto IV
  20. Forza Motorsport 4

Top Arcade Titles (Full Versions purchased)

1. Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition
  2. Trials Evolution
  3. The Walking Dead
  4. Pinball FX2
  5. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  6. Castle Crashers
  7. Gotham City Impostors
  8. I Am Alive
  9. Fruit Ninja Kinect
  10. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD
  11. Trials HD
  12. Magic 2013
  13. Fez
  14. Dungeon Defenders
  15. Alan Wake's American Nightmare
  16. Peggle
  17. The Simpsons Arcade Game
  18. REAL STEEL
  19. Toy Soldiers: Cold War
  20. Full House Poker

Top Indie Games (Full Versions purchased)

1. CastleMiner Z
  2. CastleMiner
  3. Total Miner: Forge
  4. Avatar Deathmatch
  5. FortressCraft Chapter 1
  6. Murder Miners
  7. The Impossible Game
  8. Avatar Laser Wars 2
  9. The $1 Zombie Game
  10. Avatar Paintball
  11. Avatar Legends
  12. Fortress Wars
  13. Miner Of Duty
  14. Miner4Ever
  15. Avatar Laser Wars
  16. End Of Days: Infected vs Mercs
  17. Toy Stunt Bike 2
  18. Flight Adventure 2
  19. Don't Die Dateless, Dummy!
  20. Block World
SecretPolice
Well, that list of games is certainly better than anything on the Wii. Makes me wish I had and Xbox 360.
#7 Posted by BlbecekBobecek (2729 posts) -

BF3 best competitive multiplayer FPS of the gen hangin tough at 8th place REPRESENT B*TCHEEEEZZZZZZZ

Master_ShakeXXX

The console version is vastly inferior. Im surprised someone is actually playing it on consoles tbh.

#8 Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

[QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

BlbecekBobecek

The console version is vastly inferior. Im surprised someone is actually playing it on consoles tbh.

Because the console version still craps all over most other online shooters.

#9 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
wtf is with all these mining/miner games ? :|
#10 Posted by ShadowDeathX (10771 posts) -
I played Halo 4 for about a week and then got bored of it. Maps suck.
#11 Posted by RR360DD (13028 posts) -
wtf is with all these mining/miner games ? :|campzor
Its a recession bro. Back to the mines
#12 Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

13. Miner Of Duty

The hell is this? A joke?

#13 Posted by ebrezzy1 (1427 posts) -

minecraft is great ... f*cking additive game to play

oh and Long Live Xbox 360

#14 Posted by SecretPolice (23294 posts) -

wtf is with all these mining/miner games ? :|campzor
Agreed, it's a bit crazy - many times when looking at the indie games available, I'll use the filter to show what's the most popular and the Miner's are always like 1,2 & 3 etc. :o

I'm not saying anythings wrong there cuz ya know, people like'em and that's great but it does surprise me a little.

#15 Posted by KungfuKitten (21401 posts) -

That's about as horrible as that list could be.

#16 Posted by Heil68 (46748 posts) -

[QUOTE="campzor"]wtf is with all these mining/miner games ? :|SecretPolice

Agreed, it's a bit crazy - many times when looking at the indie games available, I'll use the filter to show what's the most popular and the Miner's are always like 1,2 & 3 etc. :o

I'm not saying anythings wrong there cuz ya know, people like'em and that's great but it does surprise me a little.

I think it's safe to say the root of the issue can be traced back to 2009.
#17 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28478 posts) -
[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

[QUOTE="campzor"]wtf is with all these mining/miner games ? :|Heil68

what a moron you are.
#18 Posted by SecretPolice (23294 posts) -

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

[QUOTE="campzor"]wtf is with all these mining/miner games ? :|Heil68

Hmm, I'm missing something, what happened in 2009 that had the affect of making Miner games so popular in 2013?

#19 Posted by Heil68 (46748 posts) -
[QUOTE="Heil68"][QUOTE="SecretPolice"]Agreed, it's a bit crazy - many times when looking at the indie games available, I'll use the filter to show what's the most popular and the Miner's are always like 1,2 & 3 etc. :o

WilliamRLBaker

what a moron you are.

I wear that with honor coming from an xbot ambassador(lol).
#20 Posted by RR360DD (13028 posts) -
[QUOTE="Heil68"][QUOTE="SecretPolice"]Agreed, it's a bit crazy - many times when looking at the indie games available, I'll use the filter to show what's the most popular and the Miner's are always like 1,2 & 3 etc. :o

WilliamRLBaker

what a moron you are.

LOLOLOLOL
#21 Posted by super600 (31022 posts) -

Miner of Duty.:lol::lol:

#23 Posted by HaloPimp978 (7329 posts) -

Halo 4 may have lost the XBL battle against Blops 2 but its still the better overall game.

#24 Posted by SecretPolice (23294 posts) -

Halo 4 may have lost the XBL battle against Blops 2 but its still the better overall game.

HaloPimp978

That's a Big 10-4 ghost rider. :D

#25 Posted by RyuRanVII (4254 posts) -

Too bad Mark of the Ninja flopped hard on Xbox Live. It's an amazing game, definitly one of the best stealth games I've ever played.

#26 Posted by Heil68 (46748 posts) -

Too bad Mark of the Ninja flopped hard on Xbox Live. It's an amazing game, definitly one of the best stealth games I've ever played.

RyuRanVII
I can agree with that.
#27 Posted by Ly_the_Fairy (8541 posts) -

I played Halo 4 last night. Soo good.

The new Forge map playlist makes me :D

#28 Posted by kuraimen (28078 posts) -
[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]Call of Duty: Black Ops II Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Halo 4 Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition Call of Duty: Black Ops FIFA Soccer 13 FIFA Soccer 12 Battlefield 3 Halo: Reach Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Borderlands 2

Lol 8 of the first 11 games are shooters and many rehashed ones. Shooterbox confirmed.
#29 Posted by timbers_WSU (6076 posts) -
[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="SecretPolice"]Call of Duty: Black Ops II Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Halo 4 Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition Call of Duty: Black Ops FIFA Soccer 13 FIFA Soccer 12 Battlefield 3 Halo: Reach Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Borderlands 2

Lol 8 of the first 11 games are shooters and many rehashed ones. Shooterbox confirmed.

And when the PS3 online works it is mainly shooters as well. Dumbass.
#30 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -
Not surprising. Also, good grief the Indie Games store is a cesspit jugging by that list. Wow.
#31 Posted by Pug-Nasty (8508 posts) -

Jebus, people really like CoD.. 4 CoD games in the top 10. This fad really needs to die...Desmonic

Online gaming is just more fun with friends, and since more people play CoD more people with play it just so they can play with friends. Obviously, the games are crap and will continue to be crap, but until gamers stop buying games based off marketing and actually look for quality, this trend will not change.

#32 Posted by super600 (31022 posts) -

Not surprising. Also, good grief the Indie Games store is a cesspit jugging by that list. Wow.skrat_01

Miner of duty.:lol: