The most badass videogame factions

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Orchid87 (2201 posts) -

1. Monolith (S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games)

A religious cult that is hostile to all but their own, the Monolithians believe in the power of the Wish Granter, rumored to be an alien artifact hidden in the center of the Zone. Members of this faction devote their lives to protecting the secret of the Great Crystal, ensuring that no one ever reaches the center of the Zone.

A typical Monolithian is a former stalker brainwashed by one of the psychic emitters throughout the Zone into serving the will of the C-Consciousness, unflinchingly loyal and ready to sacrifice himself at a moment's notice. This extreme loyalty is achieved by creating intense religious fanatism in the mind of the stalker, directed towards the Monolith.

While physically they are on par with other stalkers, their religious fervor sets them apart and allows them to ignore wounds and continue to fight, even after they run out of ammo. Stories abound of fanatical stalkers who, after running out of ammo, ditch their weapons and attempt to kill the enemy with their bare hands, no matter how grievous their wounds. This same fervor also prevents others from capturing a Monolith member - if taken into custody, he will commit suicide in any way possible (even by smashing his head against the wall).

2. Brotherhood of Nod (Command & Conquer games)

The Brotherhood of Nod (often shortened to "Nod" or the "Brotherhood") is a popular, global, religiously developed movement devoted to the guidance of the elusive and charismatic figure of Kane, and the extraterrestrial Tiberium substance that arrived on Earth in 1995. Although Nod surfaced in 1995 at the time of the substance's arrival, before this date, the Brotherhood was an ancient and secret society claiming to have originated prior to 1800 BC. Reported beliefs include that Kane is an immortal prophet whose guidance dates back through their alleged millennia of secrecy, and that Tiberium is the catalyst for the next stage in human evolution. Nod is linked to the three Abrahamic traditions of Christianity, Islam and Judaism, but its followers do not belong to any of these three traditions. While almost all Nod activity is concerned with complex economic, military and scientific foci, its religiously articulated ideology drives this.

Before the outbreak of the First Tiberium War, the most accepted idea was that it was yet another minor terrorist faction but when a scandal broke out involving major American defense contractors, it was discovered that Nod had substantial military air, sea and land power. Nod forces are composed of guerrillas from affiliated organisations, mercenaries and conscripts from the territories Nod controls, as well as Nod-indoctrinated pseudo-religious fanatics. Nod has significant WMD capabilities, including nuclear-equipped ballistic missiles.

3. Helghast (Killzone games)

The formation of the Helghan Empire occurred after the First Helghan War against the ISA and the human race. The people of the Helghan Empire live under heavy amounts of fascist dogma. Helghast leaders, including Scolar Visari, continue to impose the belief that the Helgan race is superior to the human race, creating not only a distrust of humanity, but also an expanding hatred of UCN, ISA, and any form of foreign rule, dominance and influence and instead viewing them as evil to due to an oppressive Earth-loyal rule before Visari took power. Ironically, they think of themselves as the race who should be ruling the perceived "lesser" human race.

The Helghast peoples' lives of extreme hardship naturally make them hardened soldiers. Most of Helghan's fiscal and natural resources go towards the military, leaving little for domestic development. The Helghan military's primary tactics primarily relate to the implementation of vicious, rapidly sweeping surgical strikes reliant on the element of surprise, leaving little in the way of defense except in the direst of circumstances. However, the Second Extrasolar War has shown that the Helghast military is adept in defensive tactics as well, springing numerous traps and ambushes on unwary ISA forces.

#2 Posted by windsquid9000 (3206 posts) -

Patapons 8)

#3 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23398 posts) -

. Most of Helghan's fiscal and natural resources go towards the military, leaving little for domestic development.

yah, they are so hard up they had to mug the jin-roh guys just to get their uni's

#4 Posted by dercoo (12555 posts) -

. Most of Helghan's fiscal and natural resources go towards the military, leaving little for domestic development.

yah, they are so hard up they had to mug the jin-roh guys just to get their uni's

Riverwolf007

Who got their look from the Nazis...

#5 Posted by stevoqwerty (4029 posts) -

The Covenants - Halo series.

#6 Posted by ferret-gamer (17310 posts) -

Builders league United

#7 Posted by Orchid87 (2201 posts) -

The Covenants - Halo series.

stevoqwerty

Don't be shy then, post pictures and information about them in this topic.

#8 Posted by Orchid87 (2201 posts) -

Builders league United

ferret-gamer

RED all the way. BLU are sissies.

#9 Posted by GreenGoblin2099 (16988 posts) -

Patapons 8)

windsquid9000

They kick ass!!

patapon

Oh yeah, and the Higs too!!

#10 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24314 posts) -

This Faction.

#11 Posted by Vaasman (11141 posts) -

Ultralisk Fan Art.

Need I say more?

#12 Posted by GreenGoblin2099 (16988 posts) -

Ultralisk Fan Art.

Need I say more?

Vaasman

Obviously never played Patapon. Those dudes could take down that Ultralisk in no time.

#13 Posted by Raiden004 (1605 posts) -

The Enclave from Fallout series

And the Assassins From Assassins Creed.

#14 Posted by Vaasman (11141 posts) -

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

Ultralisk Fan Art.

Need I say more?

GreenGoblin2099

Obviously never played Patapon. Those dudes could take down that Ultralisk in no time.

Yea right, their spears wouldn't even penetrate the carapace. Also they aren't just taking down an ultra. They have to take on the swarm.

#15 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23398 posts) -

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

dercoo

when i think of my poor grandfather who slaved away making plate armor and breathing aparatus for the nazis it brings a tear to my eye.

#16 Posted by ferret-gamer (17310 posts) -

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"]

Builders league United

Orchid87

Oh please Builders League United eats RED for breakfast especially in hydro and gravelpit

#17 Posted by dercoo (12555 posts) -

[QUOTE="dercoo"]

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

Riverwolf007

when i think of my poor grandfather who slaved away making plate armor and breathing aparatus for the nazis it brings a tear to my eye.

Its called gas masks...

For God sake they even use MG42's and other WW2 Nazi arms. Its based in an alternate reality were the Nazi's concurred Japan.

#18 Posted by windsquid9000 (3206 posts) -

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

Ultralisk Fan Art.

Need I say more?

GreenGoblin2099

click to zoom

:P

#19 Posted by KungfuKitten (20672 posts) -

[QUOTE="Orchid87"]

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"]

Builders league United

ferret-gamer

Oh please Builders League United eats RED for breakfast especially in hydro and gravelpit

Go blu! Blu are the cutest.

#21 Posted by ExtremeMagnion2 (708 posts) -

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

[QUOTE="dercoo"]

dercoo

Its called gas masks...

For God sake they even use MG42's and other WW2 Nazi arms. Its based in an alternate reality were the Nazi's concurred Japan.

that reminds me, the Combine from Half Life were also inspired by the Nazis, the SS specifically, if you look up their original art for their designs, you can see a resemblence
#22 Posted by ferret-gamer (17310 posts) -

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"]

[QUOTE="Orchid87"]

KungfuKitten

Go blu! Blu are the cutest.

Do you know where i can find the "Go BLU" Spray/image? i lost it and cant find it again.
#23 Posted by KungfuKitten (20672 posts) -
[QUOTE="dercoo"]

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]when i think of my poor grandfather who slaved away making plate armor and breathing aparatus for the nazis it brings a tear to my eye.

ExtremeMagnion2

Its called gas masks...

that reminds me, the Combine from Half Life were also inspired by the Nazis, the SS specifically, if you look up their original art for their designs, you can see a resemblence

Videogames are so cool, they can make even nazi's cool. Well the german troops had really cool outfits for a military :( Too bad they were on the wrong side. I can totally understand people basing the looks of their characters outfits on them.
#24 Posted by Orchid87 (2201 posts) -

Its called gas masks...

dercoo

Helghast StA-3 Stova machine gun is basically MG42 with different butt and grip.

#25 Posted by Sp4rtan_3 (3495 posts) -

This faction 8)

#26 Posted by ExtremeMagnion2 (708 posts) -

[QUOTE="ExtremeMagnion2"][QUOTE="dercoo"]

Its called gas masks...

KungfuKitten

Videogames are so cool, they can make even nazi's cool. Well the german troops had really cool outfits for a military :( Too bad they were on the wrong side. I can totally understand people basing the looks of their characters outfits on them.

personally, the outfit suits any 'evil' faction. I mean, the SS uniform consists of alot of black/grey with long trench coats and possibly black gloves. this SCREAMS intimidation :P

#27 Posted by NanoMan88 (1220 posts) -

Blue are lame! Red all the way and according to valve's latest video blue are composed of mac owners eww.

#28 Posted by ferret-gamer (17310 posts) -

Blue are lame! Red all the way and according to valve's latest video blue are composed of mac owners eww.

NanoMan88
Why do you think there were only 3 of them they got cast out from the rest of us.
#29 Posted by Upparoom (2111 posts) -

The Yellow Turbans in Dynasty Warriors 3(they just weren't as cool in 4, 5, 6, 8 billion) Anybody who disagrees with this is a FLAMING IDIOT :P

Nothing is more badass then dropping boulders on people and having some magic dude who so totally wants to be a pirate with that voice be your leader.

#31 Posted by gamecubepad (6071 posts) -

I was gonna say the Enclave, but this will do...

#32 Posted by Juggernaut140 (36011 posts) -
Loners>Monlith by far
#33 Posted by locopatho (20044 posts) -
The various bat**** insane groups of MGS :)
#34 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -

Interesting list.

One we should all know, everyones favourite genetically engineered warrior monk space facists.

http://www.gamereplays.org/community/uploads/post-90027-1205171981.jpg

and also

the ORIGINAL Brotherhood of Steel.

No not the bastardised spinoffs in Fallout 3 or Fallout Tactics (that completely ruined them), the real deal; stowed away hording advanced technology, isloating themselves from the 'filth' of the wasteland.

#35 Posted by jg4xchamp (46680 posts) -

Elites: A proud group of warriors that are fast, tall, strong, agile, and fierece(as well as pretty intelligent) foes in battle. They are also significant proof that Bungie is flat out stupid. I mean I love their games, but how the hell do you replace one of the most fun enemies in a videogame with idiotic monkeys? The Brutes weren't even in the same league as the Elites. Are they a little unoriginal, and well obviously ripping off Aliens? Yeah, but so what. They looked badass, and they were badasses to fight. Those Black Elites in Halo: CE? Straight Gangsta Yo!

Duke Nukem: What's that he's not a faction? Yeah well tell that to everything that has come in his path. The King is too badass to not be mentioned in this thread that involved the word "Badass" He is the damn definition. Also aint no faction even in the same league of badass anyway.

#36 Posted by Orchid87 (2201 posts) -

Loners>Monlith by farJuggernaut140

Loners are not a faction.

#37 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

The Chimera - Resistance Series

I've always found the Chimera to be one of the more threatening variants on the alien-invasion story. They have strength in numbers, advanced technology, psychic abilities, and infectious, biological weapons. Their origins are still unknown and part of the mystery makes them more threatening. At the moment, they seem to have zero weaknesses and so far the only things standing in the Chimera's way are part Chimeran themselves.

The Umbrella Corporation - Resident Evil Series

Sure, evil corporations weren't originally made in the Resident Evil series, but since the release of those games they've epitomized the stereotype. Finding out their intentions, hidden locations, and eventually being back stabbed by their employees (who you once thought friends) are some of the more memorable moments in the series. When I think Resident Evil I think: Jill-Zombies-Umbrella. It's a shame the series took a turn and began abandoning the corporation. I remember their vast absence from Resident Evil 4 to be the most disappointing change of the game.

The Order - Silent Hill Series

The Order is a group of Necromancers who's goal is to resurrect "The God". If you've played Silent Hill 3 and met this so called god, you know why this is a problem. Explaining The Order's intentions and goals furthermore is mostly up for grabs (due to Silent Hill's symbolism) and gets pretty confusing. But they're worth a mention.

#38 Posted by TheShadowLord07 (22108 posts) -

no one has mention the zerg yet? or are they not a faction

#39 Posted by thespywholied (3352 posts) -

Loners>Monlith by farJuggernaut140
Monolith owned the Military.

Loners are weak as hell compared to them only the marked one was the badass one.

#40 Posted by ExESGO (1895 posts) -

Interesting list.

One we should all know, everyones favourite genetically engineered warrior monk space facists.

http://www.gamereplays.org/community/uploads/post-90027-1205171981.jpg

and also

the ORIGINAL Brotherhood of Steel.

No not the bastardised spinoffs in Fallout 3 or Fallout Tactics (that completely ruined them), the real deal; stowed away hording advanced technology, isloating themselves from the 'filth' of the wasteland.

skrat_01

Seconded

#41 Posted by ethanradd (654 posts) -

Blood Ravens?

bllodravens

#42 Posted by SparkyProtocol (7680 posts) -

Blood Ravens?

*spayce mherine!

ethanradd

Nah, bro. It's all about praising Sigmar!