The MGSV HYPE Thread: REVIEWS ARE IN

• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Young_Charter (19830 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

MGSV: Ground Zeroes acts as a prologue to Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain and takes place one year after the events of Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker.

Assuming control of the legendary Snake (a.k.a. Big Boss), players are charged with the infiltration of Camp Omega where both Paz and Chico are held. The hostages hold key information concerning Snake and his private military organisation that Snake and his ally Kaz Miller must prevent from being exposed. Ground Zeroes charts the rescue and the subsequent fallout that leads into the beginning of the The Phantom Pain. Ground Zeroes also acts as a bridge between previous Metal Gear Solid titles, easing players into the vaunted open world of MGSV.

REVIEWS

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

In the aftermath of the events of Ground Zeroes and the destruction of Mother Base, MSF's base of operations, Big Boss falls into a coma. Nine years later, he awakens and forms a new mercenary group, the Diamond Dogs. Now assuming the codename "Punished Snake", he ventures into Afghanistan during the Soviet war to track down the men responsible for MSF's destruction. Along the way, he becomes reacquainted with his former rival Ocelot and encounters a unit of warriors robbed of their past, present and future. While he and Kazuhira "Kaz" Miller are initially driven to exact revenge, Snake soon unearths a plot by the Cipher organization to develop a weapon with the potential to surpass even the Metal Gear system, and his mission quickly switches focus to ending the threat once and for all.

NEWS

1. Hideo Kojima confirms no Platinum Trophy for Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes
  2. MGSV:GZ's Review: Famitsu Awards A Superb 38/40
  3. N4G Konami hints at early 2015 release for Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain
  4. Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain 'almost 200 times larger' than Ground Zeroes, says Hideo Kojima
  5. Metal Gear Solid 5 PS3 pre-orders will get you Peace Walker for free
  6. MGSV: Ask an IGN Editor Anything by Mike Dyer
  7. MGSV:GZ Trophy/Achievement List
  8. New Ground Zeroes Trailer
#2 Edited by PyratRum (561 posts) -

That doesn't make any sense considering there are a few downloadable PSN titles that have platinums.

#3 Posted by Muffin2020 (527 posts) -

A lack of Platinum looks like the least of this game/demos troubles.

#4 Posted by Animal-Mother (26388 posts) -

@pyratrum said:

That doesn't make any sense considering there are a few downloadable PSN titles that have platinums.

That might be because they're the older games IE Flower, Soundshapes and so on already had them.

Don't Starve, Warframe, Contrast and Resogun don't have platinums

#5 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (3618 posts) -

seriously why the fu%k are people even hyped for this demo? it has been proven it can be completed in 20min so why waste your money on it. konami are going to bundle it in the special edition of phantom pain for $5 extra anyway.

#6 Edited by Netret0120 (1999 posts) -

It's not a full game so i don't see any problem with that. It would be the simplest Platinum you could get.

#7 Posted by Pikminmaniac (8701 posts) -

Guacamelee got a platinum trophy. Are you sure it has to do with the price of the game rather than the number of trophies in it?

#8 Posted by Young_Charter (19830 posts) -

@pyratrum said:

That might be because they're the older games IE Flower, Soundshapes and so on already had them.

Outlast did not have it either.

#9 Posted by PyratRum (561 posts) -

@pyratrum said:

Lone Survivor: Director's Cut came out this the fall on the PS3, is around 4 hours long, and has a platinum.

They've either just changed the policy or the requirements are all over the place.

#10 Posted by wolverine4262 (18930 posts) -

So, there you go Sony fanboys. Have your crappy game.

#11 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6857 posts) -

I will never understand why people care about trophies and achievements.

#12 Posted by Animal-Mother (26388 posts) -

@pyratrum said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@pyratrum said:

Lone Survivor: Director's Cut came out this the fall on the PS3, is around 4 hours long, and has a platinum.

They've either just changed the policy or the requirements are all over the place.

on PS3, they must have changed the policies for PS4. Which let's be honest in reality does it really effect the game?>

#13 Posted by Animal-Mother (26388 posts) -

I'd be one to vouch. Trophies/Achievements can add a layer of not necessarily depth but a kinda active challenge system most games don't have. Trophies/Achievements can be fun challenging encourage you to play modes you may not have in the first place and kinda scratch every top level surface of the game and sometimes deeper (really depends on the game) . It also adds an incentive for you to go back at times if you do enjoy the score/trophy stuff or if you wanna do something different in the game.

#14 Posted by Mr-Kutaragi (1922 posts) -

So, there you go Sony fanboys. Have your crappy game.

Game is crap because no platinum trophy? SW logic make IGN forum look intelligent.

#15 Posted by wolverine4262 (18930 posts) -
#16 Edited by vickissv2 (1743 posts) -

I played through the game a couple times this weekend and it's definitely worth the $30. There are multiple missions to complete and can be done in a variety of ways and at various difficulties. It is also worth 1000 achievement points, for the 5 people out there that care.

I also have it on X1 and to be honest , the " graphics comparison" video released by Konami was absolutely biased towards the PS4. The texture detail and quality is the same as the PS4's as well as the frame rate. Hair looks like Jaggies R' US at certain points though.

#17 Posted by Young_Charter (19830 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000 said:

I'd be one to vouch. Trophies/Achievements can add a layer of not necessarily depth but a kinda active challenge system most games don't have. Trophies/Achievements can be fun challenging encourage you to play modes you may not have in the first place and kinda scratch every top level surface of the game and sometimes deeper (really depends on the game) . It also adds an incentive for you to go back at times if you do enjoy the score/trophy stuff or if you wanna do something different in the game.

I actually thought about platting the game becuase I knew I would've tried to complete everything and keep occupied.

#18 Edited by Animal-Mother (26388 posts) -

@Young_Charter said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

I actually thought about platting the game becuase I knew I would've tried to complete everything and keep occupied.

Well regardless it doesn't stop the trophies from being there and adding the extra playtime and forcing you to do things outside of the main missions.

Here's the Trophy list if you wanna drop it in your link OP

http://psnprofiles.com/trophies/2488-METAL-GEAR-SOLID-V-GROUND-ZEROES

#19 Edited by Young_Charter (19830 posts) -

@Animal-Mother: Thanks I appreciate it. Getting ready to upload it now.

#20 Edited by PinkieWinkie (1364 posts) -

When does the review embargo lift?

#21 Posted by princeofshapeir (13628 posts) -

Hopefully once the embargo officially lifts we'll get some reviews that actually discuss gameplay and mechanics, rather than whine about the game being a "$30 demo."

If previews and testimonials are to be trusted, there are many $60 games with less content that have been critically acclaimed.

#22 Posted by Young_Charter (19830 posts) -

Hopefully once the embargo officially lifts we'll get some reviews that actually discuss gameplay and mechanics, rather than whine about the game being a "$30 demo."

If previews and testimonials are to be trusted, there are many $60 games with less content that have been critically acclaimed.

Exactly. Hopefully we get at least a few reviews before the games release date.

#23 Posted by vickissv2 (1743 posts) -

It's definitely more than a demo, but less than the average game. I got a good 7 hours out of it so far ( in between titanfall sessions ) and I'm only 23% through all that it has to offered. I actually wish there was more story and dialog. The graphics can not be understated and therefore would be a must have for next gen console owners starving for something to play that looks fantastic.

#24 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (17223 posts) -

So you can't understand why others would enjoy something you don't? You lack empathy or what?

#25 Posted by cainetao11 (16588 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000 said:

So you can't understand why others would enjoy something you don't? You lack empathy or what?

Agreed. I don't understand how a buddy who grew up in the Bronx has been a Red Sox fan for life. I still felt happy for him, when they finally won the series.

#26 Edited by TigerSuperman (1951 posts) -

Lol, keep it here? No ones talking about this game.

#27 Posted by Young_Charter (19830 posts) -
#28 Edited by princeofshapeir (13628 posts) -
#29 Posted by PyratRum (561 posts) -

@pyratrum said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@pyratrum said:

on PS3, they must have changed the policies for PS4. Which let's be honest in reality does it really effect the game?>

Oh not at all. Just an odd circumstance is all.

#30 Posted by Heil68 (43244 posts) -

I'm just going to rent it through GameFly.

#31 Posted by Animal-Mother (26388 posts) -

So I just beat it feel free to ask away if you have any questions

#32 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10837 posts) -

Here's a relevant video.

#33 Edited by spicymeatball27 (64 posts) -

Well i just saw the walkthrough of the game & im not getting it now lol. The walkthrough of the story mode with S rank was only 38 minutes long(with cutscenes). The guy rushed a little by putting every guard to sleep with the pistol probably to get S rank. So i guess the story mode is like a hour long if u decide to take a guard out a different way but looked way to easy to kill them.

The side missions where more like activitys/challanges where ur told what to do & snake doesn't say anything then you get ranked at the end which is kind of dull. Each of the 3 videos that was posted was like 7-15 minutes & just rescuing people in orange jump suits (story mode u did the same). It felt like ur doing the same thing over & over just to extend the length of the game.

Glad i saw the walkthough of this game on youtube cause its not worth 29.99. Just to short & repeative or rescuing guys in orange suits.

#34 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (8695 posts) -

I'm playing right now, and it's so purdy. ;_;

#35 Edited by blangenakker (2171 posts) -

http://normalboots.com/video/metal-gear-solid-v-hideo-kojima-interview-special-didyouknowgaming-vgfacts/

#36 Posted by Young_Charter (19830 posts) -
#37 Edited by juarbles (801 posts) -

TLHBO

#38 Posted by Allicrombie (25117 posts) -

I'm playing right now, and it's so purdy. ;_;

stop buying games.

#39 Edited by Shewgenja (8327 posts) -

8/10. Haters gonna hate!

#40 Edited by kinectthedots (1583 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

8/10. Haters gonna hate!

Where is this game on it's meta score so far?

never mind just checked, it's sitting at 7.5 right now. Sounds about right for what this game is. Both GS and IGN rated this game a letter grade too high.

#41 Posted by Suppaman100 (3709 posts) -

Superior on PS4 as usual too

#42 Posted by kuu2 (6885 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786: You are going to upset the people that got conned into buying this.

#43 Edited by tonitorsi (8276 posts) -

It improves the mechanics of gameplay from MGS4 even further (which were already free of flaws), story and as well as voice acting has been refined, which is a very nice, new surprise coming from Kojima.

Will get it once I get my Quad.

#44 Posted by Young_Charter (19830 posts) -

It improves the mechanics of gameplay from MGS4 even further (which were already free of flaws), story and as well as voice acting has been refined, which is a very nice, new surprise.

I'll get mines next week. I want a hard copy.

#45 Posted by arkephonic (6211 posts) -

Holy crap this game looks like shit on Xbox One. That system is such a joke.

#46 Edited by PhazonBlazer (11500 posts) -

Soooooooooo pretty...

#47 Edited by tonitorsi (8276 posts) -

@Young_Charter said:

@tonitorsi said:

It improves the mechanics of gameplay from MGS4 even further (which were already free of flaws), story and as well as voice acting has been refined, which is a very nice, new surprise.

Provided one has a neat internet, digital eliminates bits of hassles here and there.

Gasoline being one, yo.

Recommended. lol

#48 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (3618 posts) -

@kuu2 said:

@ghostwarrior786: You are going to upset the people that got conned into buying this.

complete waste of money, all this is going to do is encourage konami and other companies to charge us for demo. im a metal gear fan but i aint buying this sh%t. plus the reticle in this game are still those useless ones from peace walker FU^K KOJIMA!!

#49 Posted by Young_Charter (19830 posts) -

@Young_Charter said:

@tonitorsi said:

Provided one has a neat internet, digital eliminates bits of hassles here and there.

Gasoline being one, yo.

Recommended. lol

Amazon ? lol

#50 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (8695 posts) -

@Allicrombie:

I really should. I've still got FFX/X2 HD today and Infamous on Friday. My wallet hates me right now. D: