The Me Too Console

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by kuu2 (7373 posts) -

Just like always Sony is wanting to be their competitor.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dish-network-app-turns-your-ps3-or-ps4-into-a-virtual-set-top-box/1100-6416965/

I would link but I am mobile.

Can this company think of a new idea ever? Having no innovation as a company is the sole reason that they are going bankrupt

#2 Posted by X_CAPCOM_X (6267 posts) -

@kuu2: Mmmmm tasty tears

#3 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4895 posts) -

you need something called a dish hopper subscription.

sounds like a magazine for housewives.

#4 Posted by Mr-Kutaragi (1967 posts) -

This exactly what MS should have done instead wasting time on hdmi in and tv tv tv.

#5 Posted by Animal-Mother (26962 posts) -

This has been happening for years with sports packages. What's the big deal now? More options never hurt anyone and anywho who gives a flying fuck about TV on a game console?

I swear it seems people are more concerned about features that have nothing to do with games or gaming.

#6 Posted by kuu2 (7373 posts) -

@X_CAPCOM_X: The MeeTooStation

Today at the 2014 Consumer Electronics Show, Dish Network announced that it will launch a new application on PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 this spring that will allow owners to use those systems as virtual Dish set-box boxes.

Of course, you'll need a Dish Hopper subscription to make use of the service.

The "Virtual Joey" app pledges to provide a "nearly identical" experience to the Hopper Whole-Home HD DVR's hardware-based Joey, which allows users to watch live TV and recorded programs.

The software-based Virtual Joey clients will operate on PlayStation users' wireless or wired networks. Once installed, customers can operate the Virtual Joey on PS3 or PS4 using a Dish remote or DualShock controller.

#7 Posted by clyde46 (46634 posts) -

MS was first to put TV on a console. MS and BSKYB had a partnership but now SKY is nowhere to be seen on the X1.

#8 Posted by misterpmedia (3468 posts) -

@Mr-Kutaragi said:

This exactly what MS should have done instead wasting time on hdmi in and tv tv tv.

Came looking in this damage controlling waste of a space thread for this. Even on the media aspects of the PS4 it's still looking more to the future than the XB1.

#10 Edited by Couth_ (10180 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Bu, bu, True gamers get the PS4 because Sony cares about gamers. Xbox One just wants NFL and TV.

Now all of a sudden other forms of entertainment other than games are ok. Lick my sack, cows.

Yeah. Sony touched on it for a couple minutes at a consumer press event. Microsoft made it the focus of their entire console and its reveal. Pass through is shit anyway. Sony is providing an actual service.

Get licked up by your fellow lems.. Get owned kid

#11 Edited by BlessedChill (676 posts) -

Lems are seriously reaching. OP reeks of pathetic desperation, get a life.

OT: don't have dish network but for those who do along with the hopper DVR it's a benefit if no added subscription is needed besides the usual fees.

Could be useful for this who don't have a set top box (or DVR) in another TV room, could use the app instead and have the PS3/4 do the rest.

#12 Posted by Animal-Mother (26962 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Bu, bu, True gamers get the PS4 because Sony cares about gamers. Xbox One just wants NFL and TV.

Now all of a sudden other forms of entertainment other than games are ok. Lick my sack, cows.

There's a difference when it's an option and when it's the focus of your console

#13 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

If anything, it is Microsoft copying Sony. Sony is the one that started with the all in one media box. That was their goal with the PS3 and is why they included Blu-Ray. They are just expanding it more this gen and in your puny little mind, that = Sony copying Microsoft.

#14 Posted by BlessedChill (676 posts) -

Thread backfire.

#15 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (7422 posts) -

@Animal-Mother said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

There's a difference when it's an option and when it's the focus of your console

Come on Animal, you know better than this. No Scotch for you!

#16 Edited by darkangel115 (1788 posts) -

@Mr-Kutaragi said:

lol you are the worst. yes its much better to have 1 tv service (and a poor one at that) available for use, then to allow any tv service to be used

#17 Edited by BlessedChill (676 posts) -

@darkangel115: not when the Xbox one severely downgrades your picture all the way to 480p*

#18 Posted by kuu2 (7373 posts) -

@BlessedChill said:

@darkangel115: not when the Xbox one severely downgrades your picture all the way to 480p*

One more person without The One confirmed...........lulz.

#19 Posted by darkangel115 (1788 posts) -

@BlessedChill said:

If that were even partly true, you'd have a point

#20 Posted by Bigboi500 (30090 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Immature child confirmed.

#21 Edited by Muffin2020 (527 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

MS was first to put TV on a console.

Odd my old Flatmate had the Play TV thing that turns your PS3 into DVR.

That came out in 2008.

"PLAYSTATION 3 already offers cutting-edge gaming and a High Definition Blu-ray Disc movie player, and soon you'll be able to watch, pause and record free-to-air digital television, thanks to PlayTV. It couldn't be easier to set up; simply plug a TV aerial into the back of the PlayTV Tuner, connect the PlayTV Tuner to your PS3 using a USB cable and then follow the on-screen instructions. And once you're up and running, you can record one channel while watching another or playing a PS3 game; see what's on now and next, with the easy to use Programme Guide; and watch TV when you're out and about, using Remote Play for PSP. In fact, you can enjoy all of PlayTV's great features on your PSP, whether you want to watch your recorded programmes or schedule new recordings."

All this 6 years ago.

#22 Edited by GrenadeLauncher (5146 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha: @kuu2:

Maybe MS should have focused on games instead of TV TV TV and saved that crap for consumer electronics shows, you stupid lemming fucks

4.2 million, choke on it

#23 Posted by Karpetburnz (548 posts) -

Lems are in fulll damage controll now since PS4 sold 4.2 million.

"bu bu but 3 million" LOL

#24 Posted by tymeservesfate (1971 posts) -

lol, so that's Sony plan. make the system a hundred less then have all these tacked on paid features cows have to purchase in order for their system to compete with Microsoft Xbox Tha One? wow...that's shifty. by the time cows stop paying for all this extra shii like their music, videos, and now TV they'll have paid more than Xboxers did. maybe Sony does have a plan...its just a shitty gimp their system and make consumers pay to fix it one lol. goodlord cows...you put up with some shit.

#25 Posted by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@FoxbatAlpha: @kuu2:

Maybe MS should have focused on games instead of TV TV TV and saved that crap for consumer electronics shows, you stupid lemming fucks

4.2 million, choke on it

Priceless ownage. You can't buy ownage like this.

TLHBO lol.

Looks at all dem lem tears and butthurt just int his thread alone.

#26 Edited by edwardecl (2239 posts) -

IPTV is the future...

#27 Posted by Puggy301 (160 posts) -

@Mr-Kutaragi said:

^^This^^

#28 Posted by killzowned24 (7345 posts) -
@kuu2 said:

Just like always Sony is wanting to be their competitor.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dish-network-app-turns-your-ps3-or-ps4-into-a-virtual-set-top-box/1100-6416965/

I would link but I am mobile.

Can this company think of a new idea ever? Having no innovation as a company is the sole reason that they are going bankrupt

Sad lem. Not the same thing and has been on PS3 like 2007.

#29 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (5146 posts) -

@tymeservesfate said:

lol, so that's Sony plan. make the system a hundred less then have all these tacked on paid features cows have to purchase in order for their system to compete with Microsoft Xbox Tha One? wow...that's shifty. by the time cows stop paying for all this extra shii like their music, videos, and now TV they'll have paid more than Xboxers did. maybe Sony does have a plan...its just a shitty gimp their system and make consumers pay to fix it one lol. goodlord cows...you put up with some shit.

As opposed to stuffing in a camera with $100 mark up that people don't want?

One day you fucking lems are going to have a moment of accidental self-awareness and the shock will cause you to drop dead.

#30 Edited by tymeservesfate (1971 posts) -

@GrenadeLauncher:

#31 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (14454 posts) -

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@tymeservesfate said:

As opposed to stuffing in a camera with $100 mark up that people don't want?

One day you fucking lems are going to have a moment of accidental self-awareness and the shock will cause you to drop dead.

Rofl, holy shit I've never seen that version.

#32 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (5146 posts) -

@tymeservesfate: Lem so shell-shocked he can only respond in GIFs >:D

How long did it take you following the 4.2 million MEGATON to cobble together some excuses for the Xbone failing?

#33 Edited by joel_c17 (2861 posts) -

4 200 000. EAD lems.

#34 Edited by tymeservesfate (1971 posts) -

@GrenadeLauncher:

#35 Edited by _Matt_ (8924 posts) -

ITT: cows and lems go full on insulting each other within a few posts, resorting to sales numbers and gifs when they quickly run out of arguments ... Hilarity ensues...

I do find it amusing that lems believe it is always Sony that copies MS though, especially since this gen it's quite the opposite

#36 Posted by Snugenz (11892 posts) -

This place truly has gone to shit... smh

#37 Posted by clone01 (24843 posts) -

This thread and the ensuing responses made me lose faith in humanity.

#38 Posted by Gifye (171 posts) -

The PS3 has had Play TV for ages.

#39 Posted by ashizuki (10 posts) -

Actually, as a company, SONY is much much more innovative than Microsoft. In 1979 SONY released the Walkman the first consumer portable media player using compact cassette format.

In 1983 SONY(with Phillips) introduced the world to the Compact Disc(CD) format.

SONY was one of the leading developers of the Blu-Ray optical disc format.

#40 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

So they are giving people options? Whats the big deal?

Sony isn't marketing this is a big huge feature of the system, trying to sell the system based on this feature, and they didn't mold their systems infrastructure and hardware around it. Its just a simple software option to give more variety.

#41 Posted by StormyJoe (5497 posts) -

@kuu2:

You will see a lot of this - Sony partnering with 3rd party companies to have "me too" functionality to the XB1. Still, it is soooo "me too" tech - it's crap compared to what you can do in Xb1.

#42 Edited by Heil68 (45222 posts) -

Sony pushing the envelope of technology and function once again. Not surprising since SONY is driven by the by gamers for gamers mantra.

#43 Posted by StormyJoe (5497 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

ITT: cows and lems go full on insulting each other within a few posts, resorting to sales numbers and gifs when they quickly run out of arguments ... Hilarity ensues...

I do find it amusing that lems believe it is always Sony that copies MS though, especially since this gen it's quite the opposite

How so?

#44 Edited by StormyJoe (5497 posts) -

@ashizuki said:

Actually, as a company, SONY is much much more innovative than Microsoft. In 1979 SONY released the Walkman the first consumer portable media player using compact cassette format.

In 1983 SONY(with Phillips) introduced the world to the Compact Disc(CD) format.

SONY was one of the leading developers of the Blu-Ray optical disc format.

HA HA HA HA!!!

Ok, seriously, take your head out of Sony's arse and breathe some clean air. I am not a huge fan of MS (they have been unforgivingly predatory in the past), but this is the most ignorant post I have read in at least a year. The only technology company that has been more innovative than Microsoft has been Apple. Microsoft has done.

I mean, JESUS, we'd still be using IBM PCs if it weren't for Microsoft.

#45 Posted by razgriz_101 (16871 posts) -

ITT a tc who seems butthurt bout a pretty small and irrelevant part of the console.

not to mention, there was PlayTV and if im not mistaken did the PS3 not actually have netflix support first way back? the whole multimedia thing started with PS3 just food for thought hell even those roots can be traced to a little gray box called the PS1.