The main reason why PS4 is outselling Xbox one

• 89 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by GameMediator (69 posts) -

It's $100 cheaper. I think most people who bash Xbox one are ignorant of Kinect and the experience of what Xbox one offers. Microsoft needs to drop the price though.

#2 Posted by vickissv2 (1703 posts) -

It may be a main reason but certainly not the only one.

#3 Edited by R3FURBISHED (10017 posts) -

@gamemediator said:

It's $100 cheaper. I think most people who bash Xbox one are ignorant of Kinect and the experience of what Xbox one offers. Microsoft needs to drop the price though.

Reportedly, Microsoft is making money on each Xbox One sold (at least the apparent cost to manufacture is less than the actual price tag)...why would they drop the price and start loosing (more) money especially when its selling so well at $500?

#4 Posted by ConanTheStoner (4463 posts) -

@gamemediator said:

Reportedly, Microsoft is making money one each Xbox One sold...why would they drop the price and start loosing money especially when its selling so well at $500?

So fanboys can win sales arguments, duh.

#5 Edited by MonsieurX (28641 posts) -

So why Wii U isn't outselling both according to this reason?

#6 Posted by silversix_ (13543 posts) -

The main reason the ps4 is outselling the bone is because its a much superior system in every way a home console can be. Simple as that.

#7 Edited by lundy86_4 (42618 posts) -

I expect a sales drop either later this year, or in 2015. It's selling pretty well at the $500 mark.

#8 Edited by always_explicit (2619 posts) -

The main reason the ps4 is outselling the bone is because its a much superior system in every way a home console can be. Simple as that.

I have owned the X1 since release and spent quite a few hours on my brother in laws PS4. Its simply not accurate to make that claim. The glory of an opinion of course is that it cannot be wrong. The X1 is a fantastic console that excels in many area's the PS4 is weak. Of course the opposite is also true, it all depends on what console features you deem to be most important.

#9 Edited by shawn30 (4288 posts) -

There are a couple of factors here, but price is the biggest. If they were both priced at 400 I think we get a very close split of sales worldwide like the 360/PS3. MS didnt sell 80 million 360's in the US alone and a number of overseas fans would jump in if the price were cheaper. Especially when the big guns like Titanfall, Halo 5 and Gears of War 4 launch. All in all Xbox One needs to be cheaper and all features must be available worldwide (speech, TV, ect) Do that and MS will be just fine even if they never match the PS4 in sales.

#10 Posted by lostrib (31456 posts) -

Well there aren't many must have games out yet, so if you're wanting to play some next gen multiplats you might as well get the cheaper console

#11 Edited by PAL360 (26561 posts) -

That was certainly not my reason.

#12 Edited by Bishop1310 (886 posts) -

@gamemediator: it's true. Guaranteed at least half the ps4 purchases is because it's cheaper then the X1.. Most consumers are idiots and can't think for themselves.

#13 Posted by Eisen_Howl (83 posts) -

Lmao, seriously?

This sounds like Iwata's excuse to why the WiiU isn't selling.

"Oh no, it's not our hardware or lack of promotion that really differentiates the WiiU and Wii, it's because people don't understand our game pad! People just need to understand it better and understand that how useful it is. No, really. Trust meeeeehhhhh!"

There are many reasons why Xbone isn't selling well, but not what you think it is.

#14 Edited by silversix_ (13543 posts) -

The real reason(s) are these. Every 'aware' gamer (not your usual brogamer that know nothing else but BF/gears/halo/cod) knows very well how much more powerful the Quad is (lems/fanboys dont want to accept this but that's their probelm, not ours). Every aware gamer knows (from passed experience and games announced for 2014) that Sony decapitates MS when it comes to exclusives. Every gamer (aware or brogamer) can see that $100 difference. This is why X1 sells less and will never surpass PS4. To me a less powerful system (its significantly less powerful, not just a little bit) and the fact that this underpowered system is sold FOR MORE (not $20 more mind you) is an insta GTFO and out consideration.

#15 Edited by Draign (526 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

The real reason(s) are these. Every 'aware' gamer (not your usual brogamer that know nothing else but BF/gears/halo/cod) knows very well how much more powerful the Quad is (lems/fanboys dont want to accept this but that's their probelm, not ours). Every aware gamer knows (from passed experience and games announced for 2014) that Sony decapitates MS when it comes to exclusives. Every gamer (aware or brogamer) can see that $100 difference. This is why X1 sells less and will never surpass PS4. To me a less powerful system (its significantly less powerful, not just a little bit) and the fact that this underpowered system is sold FOR MORE (not $20 more mind you) is an insta GTFO and out consideration.

Whats to brag about when the best looking game is on XB1? Where is the difference in power so significant?

Its like an Iphone 5 user arguing with a Moto X user.

#16 Edited by silversix_ (13543 posts) -

@draign said:

@silversix_ said:

Whats to brag about when the best looking game is on XB1? Where is the difference in power so significant?

Its like an Iphone 5 user arguing with a Moto X user.

"lems/fanboys dont want to accept this but that's their probelm, not ours" this is you. None of my bsns you're so delusional.

#17 Posted by Suppaman100 (3571 posts) -

This.

/thread

#18 Edited by CrownKingArthur (3687 posts) -

the higher price tag doesn't help the bone. agreed.

i don't think we can really judge these systems until Christmas 2015.

#19 Posted by regnaston (189 posts) -

@gamemediator:

I agree the extra $100 will be a huge difference. And MOST people will not care if the XB1 is slightly less powerful than the PS4

(heck I cant even tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps anyway)

#20 Posted by regnaston (189 posts) -

PS4 and XB1 are close in regards to specs. Wii U is much farther behind.

Plus I think there is a carry over of opinion on the regular Wii to the WiiU (i.e. it is a kids game platform)

#21 Edited by BeardMaster (1580 posts) -

@R3FURBISHED: Well lol pachter i know. But pachter said companies commit to manufacturing a certain number of units for an entire sales year. So if xbox ones arent selling MS literally has to pay for them to sit in a warehouse as per the manufacturing agreement, the xbox ones will keep coming off the production line whether they are selling or not. So for MS it makes alot more sense to get them in the hands of consumers that will be buying software and paying xbox live fees, rather than pay to have them sit in a warehouse, even if they have to sell the console at a loss.

So if MS overcommitted on production, whether its price cuts or promotions, they will likely find a way to sell those consoles.

#22 Posted by darkangel115 (1375 posts) -

except your post is 100% biased and comes off sounding nothing more then a fanboy rant passing off biased opinion as some sort of fact. So out of pure amusement i will show you where you went wrong

1) there is no such thing as a "real gamer" "bro gamer" etc etc. anyone who is into gaming as a hobby is a gamer. Even if they don't share your preference from games, doesn't make them any less of a gamer. For instance i can easily call you not a real gamer as you own only half the gaming platforms (PC, PS4) compared to the 75% i own (xbox, PS, PC) and then someone who as a wii u can say I'm not a real gamer as they own 100%. Why would Myself, or anyone be "less of a gamer" then you becuase we don't share your opinion. If anything i'm more of a gamer since i'll play games on any system instead of tying myself to one platform.

2) Even if you try to classify "brogamers" how do you say halo and gears fanbase is anywhere similar to BF and CoD. as someone who has played all 4, i can tell you the fanbses for CoD, BF4, Halo, and Gears are all way different communities. what if i made a category of "lamegamers" who play FF, KH, Skyrim, The witcher, and fallout only? is that fair becuase they are all SP RPGs? the answer is no

3) The exclusives is nothing more then opinion. Some people prefer UC, God of War, GT to Halo, Forza, Gears. and vice versa. Both have the same amount of "big franchises" for the most part. again your passing opinion as fact

4) sales =/= quality or Justin bieber is the best musician, Avatar is the best movie, and Minecraft is the best game all time. I guarentee that 99.9999% of people would disagree with that.

5) As far as power goes, that's a complete joke. a "huge" power difference would be comparing a high end PC to a PS1. even the xbox which was more powerful then a PS2 wasn't a"huge" difference by any means

6) again you discount the power of an online network. it amazes me how people can tout a 20 dollar difference in GPU or RAM but ignore a 5 billion dollar difference of having server farms worldwide with over 1 million servers, 300k dedicated to a gaming network compared to a company that has nothing even close. it would be like saying that its ok I don't own 500 ferraris i can rent a geo metro anytime I want from hertz. There is a difference

#23 Posted by shellcase86 (1934 posts) -

It helps. for sure. But I think a lot of consumers look for value and less restrictions. Which, in general, they see a better deal with Sony's machine instead of the X1.

#24 Edited by MBirdy88 (7137 posts) -

@gamemediator: its a big reason, but I think the other reason is... that in the last few years the PS3 dominated in "game gems" ... while the xbox went stale. the only people supporting it are those so wrapped up in its eco system that they do not want change... or just follow one brand and stick with it without research.

To the people who do research and like variety in games... they go with playstation. Xbox damaged its own success with kinect and the lack of support there after for anything "system selling" or "must have" ... jsut milked halo, gears and forza.... not exactly the strongest franchises now are they?

#25 Edited by kuu2 (6785 posts) -

Yes it is the absolute main reason. Just look at how many people on this very forum said they would buy it at $399.

#26 Posted by Shielder7 (4610 posts) -

It's a 100$ cheaper and it's better/more powerful.

Being cheaper is one thing, being cheaper as well as being a better machine is quite another.

#27 Edited by Dire_Weasel (15870 posts) -

Price is the biggest factor, but there are two other major points:

Anyone that would be interested in buying a new generation console at this point is aware that the Playstation 4 is the more powerful console. They might not be certain how much more powerful the Playstation 4 is, but they know that the discrepancy exists.

Kinect is not a feature that gamers are interested in. Kinect is a big, separate box that doesn't look good on your TV, it has the stigma of being an always-on camera, and it adds nothing to the experience (at this point) that couldn't be easily done with a built-in microphone.

#28 Edited by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2535 posts) -

It's selling better, not only because of the lower price, but because Sony totally dominated their marketing campaign compared to Microsoft.

#29 Posted by silversix_ (13543 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

except your post is 100% biased and comes off sounding nothing more then a fanboy rant passing off biased opinion as some sort of fact. So out of pure amusement i will show you where you went wrong

1) there is no such thing as a "real gamer" "bro gamer" etc etc. anyone who is into gaming as a hobby is a gamer. Even if they don't share your preference from games, doesn't make them any less of a gamer. For instance i can easily call you not a real gamer as you own only half the gaming platforms (PC, PS4) compared to the 75% i own (xbox, PS, PC) and then someone who as a wii u can say I'm not a real gamer as they own 100%. Why would Myself, or anyone be "less of a gamer" then you becuase we don't share your opinion. If anything i'm more of a gamer since i'll play games on any system instead of tying myself to one platform.

2) Even if you try to classify "brogamers" how do you say halo and gears fanbase is anywhere similar to BF and CoD. as someone who has played all 4, i can tell you the fanbses for CoD, BF4, Halo, and Gears are all way different communities. what if i made a category of "lamegamers" who play FF, KH, Skyrim, The witcher, and fallout only? is that fair becuase they are all SP RPGs? the answer is no

3) The exclusives is nothing more then opinion. Some people prefer UC, God of War, GT to Halo, Forza, Gears. and vice versa. Both have the same amount of "big franchises" for the most part. again your passing opinion as fact

4) sales =/= quality or Justin bieber is the best musician, Avatar is the best movie, and Minecraft is the best game all time. I guarentee that 99.9999% of people would disagree with that.

5) As far as power goes, that's a complete joke. a "huge" power difference would be comparing a high end PC to a PS1. even the xbox which was more powerful then a PS2 wasn't a"huge" difference by any means

6) again you discount the power of an online network. it amazes me how people can tout a 20 dollar difference in GPU or RAM but ignore a 5 billion dollar difference of having server farms worldwide with over 1 million servers, 300k dedicated to a gaming network compared to a company that has nothing even close. it would be like saying that its ok I don't own 500 ferraris i can rent a geo metro anytime I want from hertz. There is a difference

Its cool that you bring on random percentages to sound more credible but what i said isn't some fanboyish bs. What i said is what is currently happening with the ps4 vs X1 sales. But you can think whatever you want...

#30 Posted by Sagemode87 (783 posts) -

Xbox has NEVER been mmore popular than PlayStation. When will Lems stop acting like they're equal rivals or on the same level. PS is bigger than Xbox, deal with it

#31 Posted by darkangel115 (1375 posts) -

@darkangel115 said:

@silversix_ said:

Its cool that you bring on random percentages to sound more credible but what i said isn't some fanboyish bs. What i said is what is currently happening with the ps4 vs X1 sales. But you can think whatever you want...

except the fact that people even think there is a PS4 vs X1 is itself it a joke. It only exists in the minds of people who are dumb. The only ones who should care about the sales is Sony and MS themselves. Nobody else gets any sort of benefit from one producing higher sales then the other. Also anyone smart should know that its better if they both sell good. Any gamer who isn't a complete moron, knows gaming would suck if one company owned a monopoly. Prices would rise, innovations and quality will go down, and gamers will be stuck with buy our overpriced crap or stop gaming. Competition is good for consumers, monopolies are not. And the sales difference is anything but large. large would be the wii selling almost double what MS/Sony did over the course of 8 years. Thats a large sales gap. PS selling 1 million more in 3 months is hardly that. To put in in perspective. If Sony outsold MS by 1 million units every month (which is unrealistic) it would take 6 years for them at that pace to have the lead the wii had over the PS3/360 (70 million). The problem is most people can't see the big picture, or as we put it at my job "people can't see past their dicks"

#32 Posted by I_can_haz (6452 posts) -

Nice pre-emptive NPD damage control OP.

#33 Posted by Sagemode87 (783 posts) -

PS3 was almost twice 360s price, yet PS3 tied/surpassed 360s sales with one year less on the market. That alone throws away the pricing excuse. Had PS3 been just 100 bucks more than the lowest priced 360 coming out of the gate, I doubt 360 would've caught on enough to warrant Xbox One.

#34 Posted by edwardecl (1760 posts) -

Main reason is price yes.

Availability does not seem to be a factor though, so that one is out.

Sony exclusive titles is certainly a factor.

The hardware form factor is a point too, some people would prefer a less bulky system even it does account for only a very small percentage.

Superior multi plat games.

I think also a lot of the reason Xbox One is getting hammered in Europe is because many of the core features do not work properly, the 50hz stutter on the HDMI input can't be doing it any favours, neither can the lack of support for TV. Would also be interesting to see how the voice commands are working in other languages than english, as english is not even supported in all regions yet.

#35 Posted by Shielder7 (4610 posts) -

I agree the experience of telling my Xbox to $%&# Off because that's not what I said is parallel to none.

#36 Posted by Nike_Air (18247 posts) -

If all things were equal - mainly pricepoint and release launch dates ..... Playstation has more brand selling power worldwide.That is an inherent advantage. The PS3 sold (and is selling) at a better rate than the 360 for example.

All Microsoft can do at this point is drop price , keep advertising more than Sony , keep moneyhatting as many 3rd parties as possible , keep striking promotions with retailers like Gamestop , and keep spreading as much FUD all over the internet about the 2 systems to muddy the waters ....... just so they can try and stay within 15 million consoles sold by the end of the generation and not get blown the fuk out out. Can they do it ? Probably.

#37 Edited by StormyJoe (4561 posts) -

#@gamemediator:

The PS4 is selling better than the Xbox One right now because early adopters are typically "core gamers". The PS4 is better than the XB1 at producing visuals (1080P/60fps).

The XB1 is "great" at a lot of different things, but isn't as good at visuals as the PS4.

For me right now (I will get a PS4 sooner or later), the "other things" the XB1 does was the exact reason I got it first. However, "core gamers" just want to play games on their consoles.

#38 Posted by silversix_ (13543 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

@darkangel115 said:

@silversix_ said:

except the fact that people even think there is a PS4 vs X1 is itself it a joke. It only exists in the minds of people who are dumb. The only ones who should care about the sales is Sony and MS themselves. Nobody else gets any sort of benefit from one producing higher sales then the other. Also anyone smart should know that its better if they both sell good. Any gamer who isn't a complete moron, knows gaming would suck if one company owned a monopoly. Prices would rise, innovations and quality will go down, and gamers will be stuck with buy our overpriced crap or stop gaming. Competition is good for consumers, monopolies are not. And the sales difference is anything but large. large would be the wii selling almost double what MS/Sony did over the course of 8 years. Thats a large sales gap. PS selling 1 million more in 3 months is hardly that. To put in in perspective. If Sony outsold MS by 1 million units every month (which is unrealistic) it would take 6 years for them at that pace to have the lead the wii had over the PS3/360 (70 million). The problem is most people can't see the big picture, or as we put it at my job "people can't see past their dicks"

yes people do think ps4 vs x1 is a joke that's why they don't care and buy the ps4 for reasons i stated

#39 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (2655 posts) -

Yeah it's cheaper and more powerful and psn plus is cheaper with free games. The ps4 is just a better value period.

#40 Posted by darkangel115 (1375 posts) -

@darkangel115 said:

@silversix_ said:

@darkangel115 said:

@silversix_ said:

yes people do think ps4 vs x1 is a joke that's why they don't care and buy the ps4 for reasons i stated

Which are terrible reasons at best and outright stupid at worst. I could never imagine (being a gamer and all) ignoring a ton of good games foe the sole reason of hating a company, or a perceived internet obsession with something. I think a lot of your parents here did you wrong

#41 Posted by littlestreakier (2846 posts) -

My friends are split down the middle with buying the XB1 and PS4. I went with PS4 first. These are just my personal reasons. 1) I'm not spending $100 more for something drastically underpowered.

2) I don't want Kinect. Had it for the Xbox 360 told myself I would play games for it...have a ton of games for it...never play them. Turns out I just want to use a controller when I play games.

Also I asked all of my friends how they like their XB1, all of them have said it wasn't worth buying. I'm sure once MS gets all the kinks out it'll be more worth it. But so far they say it's been disappointing. Me and my friends that got a PS4 however, all say it's worth it. We've been having a great time.

#42 Posted by DocSanchez (1394 posts) -

@gamemediator: It's to do with a lot of reasons not least the PR disaster that befell the Xbox one on its announcement and the (correct) perception that the Xbox is less powerful than PS4 yet costs more.

#43 Posted by jsmoke03 (12473 posts) -

more than one reason bro. a lot of people arent about the price. i asked a lot of people when i was working the holidays about xbox1 and a lot of people didnt like the kinect. the only ones that were impressed by the kinect were older people buying for their kids. everyone else either were sony fanboys or hated the kinect and just wanted to play games.

#44 Edited by iMIAHi (19 posts) -

Three Reasons why Xbox One sucks;

1. Design
    It's like Microsoft went back in to the past and got back a VCR! No vertical orientation support. No upgradable HDD. Huge vent on the top which is great for dust to build up considering this Xbox One is meant to be placed on your TV stand as a main all-in-one entertainment device.
  2. Hardware
    Slow Blu-ray drive, installing games takes the micky! GPU performance is ok but not on the level of PS4. Kinect most useless piece of crap which is only great for United States with regards to voice activation and TV integration but for the rest of the world none of this feature even works with regards to TV integration and voice activation. Problem with 60Hz output (causes judder). Kinect is for lazy people or people who are becoming obese/or are obese (it's the American lazy lifestyle). Controller has been changed for no good reason especially L/R thumb sticks which are smaller, hate the plastic L/R bumpers and triggers which is are plastic/glossy.
  3. Software
    The most utter crap dashboard. It's simply not a Windows Phone 7! So restricted in terms of battery indicator, friends notification, party chat, file manager, download history etc. I know an update is coming but it's pointless with an awful user interface which has far too many bugs. in other words the software is just crippled and not even easy to navigate.

#45 Edited by Scipio8 (608 posts) -

The reason why the PS4 is selling more is because Sony fans have dropped the PS3 like a brick and moved over, PS3 game sales have fallen off the cliff. The Xbox 360 is still selling strong so gonna take a while before they move over to the One.

#46 Posted by handssss (1623 posts) -

The same people who buy a ps4 over an Xbone soley for the price (probably the casual gaming crowd) are the people who think the Wii U is just an add-on or something for the Wii and not a new system.

Just my theory.

#47 Posted by joel_c17 (2804 posts) -

I guess thats why the 360 outsold the ps3 every year since its launch.... oh wait...

#48 Edited by ShoTTyMcNaDeS (1860 posts) -

These two systems wont even hit their full stride until Fall/Holiday 2015. Why anyone would expect to see either of these two consoles full potential at launch or even in the first year is just beyond me!

#49 Posted by blamix99 (1532 posts) -

the main reason is because the PS4 is cheaper and way more powerful..

#50 Posted by jsolidus (124 posts) -

I think its because of E3 and all the b.s. policies they tried to force on people. the average causal gamer still believes that those policies still exist. M$ really screwed up last year and the backlash is still hurting them to this day...Also add in the fact that its $100 than a ps system.Sony could get away with higher price due its name. Yes it did hurt them but they were able to get away with it. M$ doesnt have the image to get away with a higher price and its showing..If it wasn't for north america the xbox brand would be dead.