The Last Of Us will make you cry. GOTY, TLHBO.

• 143 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by TheGuardian03 (21419 posts) -

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/427034/20130123/last-neil-director-druckmann-naughty-dog-uncharted.htm

Another, perhaps more nuanced result of Druckmann's dramatic process, the enemies in The Last of Us are disconcertingly human. Eavesdrop on a trio of hunters before the start of a big fight and the overheard dialogue is steps above the typical guard patter.

The hunters converse, they chat; they talk about what they've had to endure to get this far. And once they're engaged, they call out to one another and work in a team. Ambush one, and he'll scream "he's in here", grab another as a human shield, and the rest will yell at you to drop him, with genuine panic creeping into their voices. The guys you kill in The Last of Us are groups of friends. As Druckmann points out, you're no better than they are:

"We're going to make the violence as real as possible, so you buy into the scrounging, the scrambling - the desperation these people have. It was important to show that Joel is not necessarily a good guy. We don't glorify these kills. It's like he's just doing what they would do.

"In the games we worked on in the past, we'd do whatever we could to suggest that the bad guys were bad. You'd see them kill someone, or we'd design them will a skull on them, like in Jak and Daxter. Either through story or design we'd say that these guys are good and these guys are bad. Here, we took the opposite approach and thought about how we could humanise these guys, how we could show that these guys really cared for each other. So, when you do engage them, you feel like you're just like them but with a different objective. It's not just about spraying blood up the walls - you see it in the context of what it is.

"[The game] started by being about human antagonism, the primal state we revert back to when we're forced to fend for our own. Then it became a question of what brought the world to this state, and it felt like because we're an action game we should represent the infection through action, so that, when you fight these things, you can imagine what happened to society during that twenty year period.

"The first variation had even crazier monsters, but they felt like things that were out there already. Then we grasped onto the themes that were unique about the project and steered in the other direction, where there were no creatures. But that left us with an action game where all we could do was talk about this thing instead of experiencing it. So, it was finding that fine ground between making sure it's fun but also that it's based on enough things you've heard of and can believe happened.

" "You might encounter people who have theories about what happened, but we're never going to say 'this is the thing that happened'" explains Druckmann. "It's like with things that happen in the real world. No one really knows where bird flu or Spanish flu started. People have theories but they don't know.

"We're not going to reveal how this thing started. That's not what the story is about.

" Neil Druckmann has been working on The Last of Us for more than three years. And now, with the crunch about to start, when the whole team will be working 14 hour days, 7 days a week, he's relieved to say that everything is coming together.

"I recently played the game for the first time beginning to end, and I got to an area actually in gameplay where I teared up, because for that moment - not in a cutscene - it all came together. It's my hope that we can reach fans that way."

"I love games like this," concludes Druckmann "but they just feel like they're missing a character element. Joel and Ellie meet for the first time in the Boston quarantine zone, and their journey will take them cross-country over the course of a year. With each section, we're asking 'what is the state of their relationship, and what can we do with the art and gameplay to reflect that?' I think we can bring that character element."

from Eurogamer also:

The two top men leading development on Naughty Dog's The Last of Us have spoken of the pressure they felt being responsible for creating another hit franchise from the Uncharted developer.

"Um... what?" was the initial reaction of Neil Druckmann (creative director), and Bruce Straley (game director), after being told to design a project that could equal the popularity of Uncharted, Crash Bandicoot and Jak and Daxter.

"We had to create something that attempted to match that level of quality - in gameplay, story and art," the pair wrote in a preface for The Last of Us' artbook. "No pressure right? Where the hell do we even start? "It took us roughly three and a half years to make The Last of Us, and during that time we got to work with some of the most talented artists in entertainment."

http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy294/Ninjapoints/original1_zps8db68f82.jpg 

Will the last of us live up to the HYPE?

#2 Posted by TheDidact (3981 posts) -
Damn I can't wait for this game. I love it how they have the people who made Uncharted 2 the masterpiece that it is working on it. Hopefully it will have close to the amount of emotion in The Walking Dead.
#3 Posted by lundy86_4 (42805 posts) -

Remind me not to wear my vagina when playing this game.

#4 Posted by Masenkoe (4888 posts) -

i can't feel for this game because I'm too pumped for Bioshock Infinite and GTA V

#5 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25150 posts) -

I think he is just proud of the game.

Tears of joy!

#6 Posted by Planeforger (15460 posts) -
I think he is just proud of the game.SaltyMeatballs
That's what it sounds like to me, too. He teared up because he was happy to see his game finally coming together.
#7 Posted by Novotine (1199 posts) -
really looking forward to it.
#8 Posted by TheDidact (3981 posts) -

i can't feel for this game because I'm too pumped for Bioshock Infinite and GTA V

Masenkoe
Bioshock Infinite went through development Hell and didn't look so hot during the VGA. GTA5 isn't coming out until September so there has to be something else besides the two that your pumped for. The Last of Us is the pinnacle of everything about the PS3. The only way somebody wouldn't be interested in it is if they don't own a PS3. But then again it is your opinion.
#9 Posted by percech (5237 posts) -
Sony invented crying, bro.
#10 Posted by TheEroica (13221 posts) -

gonna buy this one... doubt I'll cry, but it should be a good weekend of fun.

#11 Posted by AAllxxjjnn (19988 posts) -
That sounds like a challenge. I'll look forward to proving this game wrong.
#12 Posted by ninjapirate2000 (2997 posts) -
No it won't.
#13 Posted by hippiesanta (9756 posts) -
Lemmings may cry
#14 Posted by getyeryayasout (7032 posts) -
Tears of joy streaming down my rosy cheeks. Oh, and Joel will probably buy the farm.
#15 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

Masenkoe

]

GTAV comes out in mid-September.....

#16 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

Can lemmings even understand this? A masterpiece of a game that doesn't involve men in green spacesuits or steroid soaked bros...

#17 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11474 posts) -

I'll cry if I don't play it soon :P

#18 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18330 posts) -
This game is going to be awesome. I can't wait.
#19 Posted by Sweetbackhair (1926 posts) -
Tears of joy, but this game looks awesome in my opinion.
#20 Posted by faizan_faizan (7832 posts) -

i can't feel for this game because I'm too pumped for GTA V

Masenkoe
#21 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

[QUOTE="Masenkoe"]

faizan_faizan

LOL you just clowned Bioshock Infinite in an earlier thread. You only care about GTA. Troll.

#22 Posted by faizan_faizan (7832 posts) -

[QUOTE="faizan_faizan"][QUOTE="Masenkoe"]

StrongBlackVine

LOL you just clowned Bioshock Infinite in an earlier thread. You only care about GTA. Troll.

Motherhubber, I edited my post even before you posted THIS sh1t
#23 Posted by DarkLink77 (31686 posts) -

At least Druckmann isn't being an arrogant, pretentious f*ck while talking about the story this time.

I doubt it'll make me cry, beause I'm going to go ahead and guess that Joel kicks the bucket, leaving Ellie alone at the end. I guess we'll see.

#24 Posted by percech (5237 posts) -
It's gonna make all the cows cry once it gets 7.5'd.
#25 Posted by megaspiderweb09 (3686 posts) -

Definately looking forward to this, its one of my anticipated 2013 games, the rest can wait for the price drop but this, even plan to get the collectors edition

#26 Posted by DarkLink77 (31686 posts) -

Definately looking forward to this, its one of my anticipated 2013 games, the rest can wait for the price drop but this, even plan to get the collectors edition

megaspiderweb09
Art book or statue?
#27 Posted by WiiMan21 (8148 posts) -
It's gonna make all the cows cry once it gets 7.5'd.percech
It's an 8.5 MINIMUM. You forgot you're talking about a strong first party developer, Naughty Dog hasn't been known to exactly disappoint, and this is the A team, the one that designed Uncharted 2, not 3.
#28 Posted by Namgis (3572 posts) -

Still pumped for this game. Doubt it'll make me cry, but stranger things have happened. On my first play though I am going all stealth. Then to exploration, I want to inspect every inch of this world. Hope there's plenty of easter eggs.

-

AAAAE.

#29 Posted by zeeshanhaider (2350 posts) -

Day 1 Youtube!

#30 Posted by IAmNot_fun (3336 posts) -
We will see about that. If they are trying to make me cry through overly dramatic scripted events, f*ck them. If they give me another Uncharted, I will be disappointed.
#31 Posted by Sagem28 (10498 posts) -

At least Druckmann isn't being an arrogant, pretentious f*ck while talking about the story this time.

I doubt it'll make me cry, beause I'm going to go ahead and guess that Joel kicks the bucket, leaving Ellie alone at the end. I guess we'll see.

DarkLink77

yep, they'll pull a Walking Dead in the end, for sure.

#32 Posted by Malta_1980 (11157 posts) -

I wont cry for sure (no game ever did that) but I'll definately enjoy this game !!

2013 will surely make up for the slow year Sony had in 2012

Ni no Kuni is a great game and we'll also get the likes of The Last of us, Beyond Two Souls, Sly & hopefully The Last Guardian... 

Am also looking forward to the likes of Rain & Puppeteer :)

#33 Posted by nervmeister (15170 posts) -
The real question is will it tug at heartstrings as well as The Walking Dead did?
#34 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10173 posts) -

Destiny and GTA V, yo.

#35 Posted by sukraj (21797 posts) -
why get excited about a 7 or 10 hour game..
#36 Posted by TheGuardian03 (21419 posts) -
why get excited about a 7 or 10 hour game..sukraj
Because you already know the games length? also i thought lems were happy with short games like Halo 4?
#37 Posted by TheGuardian03 (21419 posts) -
[QUOTE="percech"]It's gonna make all the cows cry once it gets 7.5'd.WiiMan21
It's an 8.5 MINIMUM. You forgot you're talking about a strong first party developer, Naughty Dog hasn't been known to exactly disappoint, and this is the A team, the one that designed Uncharted 2, not 3.

How many times this needs to be said? both A and B team worked on TLOU. they exchange members sometimes.
#38 Posted by TilxWLOC (1029 posts) -

I like the idea of the game, but I'll wait to see how well they pull it off. If they do it, sounds incredible.

#39 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
So good owning a ps3 this year
#40 Posted by kuraimen (28078 posts) -
Poor lems TLOU, PS4, Ni No Kuni GOTY, games... They can't catch a break.
#41 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38204 posts) -

A bit misleading. He cried cos he's proud that his work finally came together the way he wanted. Not because the story made him sad.

That being said it probably will be sad, but will follow a lot fo cliches and the twists and revelations will likely be forseeable. Still wanna play it though

#42 Posted by biggest_loser (24006 posts) -
I can't wait to play this. I just finished all the Uncharted games recently, including the third one today. They have a lot to live up to but I think they're talented enough.
#43 Posted by Newhopes (4468 posts) -

To be honest I have next to no interest in the game.

#44 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -
[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]I think he is just proud of the game.Planeforger
That's what it sounds like to me, too. He teared up because he was happy to see his game finally coming together.

Yep. I just hope they keep they're smart about the narrative stuff, and not high on hot air.
#45 Posted by JasonDarksavior (9325 posts) -
Damn I can't wait for this game. I love it how they have the people who made Uncharted 2 the masterpiece that it is working on it. Hopefully it will have close to the amount of emotion in The Walking Dead.TheDidact
Should be an awesome game, bet the story is going to be great too! :D
#46 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (3940 posts) -

There's is a lot of hype for this. What happens if it flops?

#47 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38204 posts) -

[QUOTE="Planeforger"][QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]I think he is just proud of the game.skrat_01

Yep. I just hope they keep they're smart about the narrative stuff, and not high on hot air.

Nah, they seem to have it pretty nailed down. There will be a few cliches here and there like you'd expect from this sort of stuff in other media, but overall I think it will come together very nicely.

I just wish ND weren't so pretentious when talking about their games. Modestly is never a bad thing. 

#48 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38204 posts) -

HalcyonScarlet

The world will implode. 

But seriously, not a hope of it flopping. Everything about it screams quality

#49 Posted by TheGuardian03 (21419 posts) -

[QUOTE="skrat_01"][QUOTE="Planeforger"] That's what it sounds like to me, too. He teared up because he was happy to see his game finally coming together.seanmcloughlin

Nah, they seem to have it pretty nailed down. There will be a few cliches here and there like you'd expect from this sort of stuff in other media, but overall I think it will come together very nicely.

I just wish ND weren't so pretentious when talking about their games. Modestly is never a bad thing. 

i think its because they are very proud of their work its just their way of expressing it, the way i see it. or maybe to get poeple hyped.
#50 Posted by TheGuardian03 (21419 posts) -

HalcyonScarlet
if that happend, lets just say you don't wanna be here. it could be GT5 all over again or even worse.