The Last of Us: Remastered | Officially Announced for PS4

#1 Edited by Slashkice (13000 posts) -

First footage below. WARNING: the scene shown goes into spoiler territory.

Credits to @Desmonic

The Last of Us Remastered

• $59.99
  • Release: Summer 2014
  • Resolution: 1920 x 1080
  • Framerate: 60 fps source
  • Higher resolution character models
  • Improved shadows and lighting
  • Several other gameplay improvements
  • In-game cinematic commentary from the cast and creative director
  • Includes: Abandoned Territories Map Pack
  • Includes: Reclaimed Territories Map Pack
  • Includes: The Last of Us: Left Behind single-player campaign

Pre-order Bonuses

• 100 Supply Points (XP) for use in Factions mode
  • Two special bonus skins for Joel and Ellie which will be unlocked after you complete the single player campaign
  • Increased Crafting Speed for use in the Single Player Campaign
  • Increased Healing Speed for use in the Single Player Campaign
  • 9mm Reload Speed Increase Upgrade for use in the Single Player Campaign
  • Rifle Clip Capacity Increase Upgrade for use in the Single Player Campaign

Digital PlayStation Store pre-order bonuses

• All of the previous pre-order bonuses mentioned
  • Early Access to the Brawler Survival Skill in Factions Mode
  • Early Access to additional Loadout Points for use in Factions Mode
  • Early Access to the Jeep Cap and Surgical Mask for use in Factions Mode

--

I'm double-dipping on the game, what about you System Wars?

#2 Edited by Doolz2024 (9602 posts) -

Definitely buying again, but when it's like $20 or so.

#3 Posted by Sweenix (5395 posts) -

hopefully it doesn't get an 8.0 this time

#4 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2555 posts) -

Remasterings shouldn't be 60$. The only time I'll complain about game prices.

#5 Edited by silversix_ (13871 posts) -

$60? Are they mad or something? Sup with last gen rehashes for full price these days? This is what happens when your gen last so long, they 'have' to re-release the games to show how it should have looked but instead had to downgrade for a 7y old pos spec.

#6 Edited by Nike_Air (18292 posts) -

It's really happening , isn't it ? Journey's next.

#7 Edited by elkoldo (953 posts) -

You really believe anything any jerk-off says on any given forum , you simple-minded or what?

#8 Edited by Epic-gamerz (196 posts) -

b..bu...but teh boring Movie game. No fast pace COD, no linear set pieces Uncharted crap, no cover shooter Gears rip off.

Naughty Gods does something different from the rest of the crowd and it becomes an instant Legend, well deserved

#9 Posted by getyeryayasout (7027 posts) -

If it doesn't receive any new content I won't double dip, but if they do a directors cut or add some new scenes it'll be hard to say no.

#10 Edited by JangoWuzHere (15993 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

Remasterings shouldn't be 60$. The only time I'll complain about game prices.

Game isn't even a year old. It also comes with the story DLC, it's a $60 value.

#11 Posted by zeeshanhaider (2332 posts) -

$60....hahahahahahahaha. Consololites getting milked again.

#12 Posted by Desmonic (13179 posts) -

*Over 200 Game of the Year Awards*

SDC baby!

---

But seriously, 60 bucks? lolno.

#13 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2555 posts) -

@JangoWuzHere: By the time it does come out, it will be a year old, and year old games rarely cost 60$.

#14 Posted by Shewgenja (8290 posts) -

$60 is too much for me.

#15 Posted by Ratchet_Fan8 (5540 posts) -

Love TLOU but i will lmao to anyone who goes for a "double dip" again.If you buy this,youre supporting these stupid remasters,pointless. 60USD and then 60USD again for the same experience is a waste.Im not gonna tell you how to spend your money but just re think.I only dipped once,but i had a decent reason,i got Demon Souls Korean Version initially but then i decided i wanted Demon Souls European Version

#16 Posted by finalstar2007 (24880 posts) -

Would soooooooo purchase again but not at $60 like $30 or less

#17 Posted by SakusEnvoy (4152 posts) -

I see a lot of complaints about remasters, but this version isn't designed for people who own the PS3 one. It's designed to capture a new audience of people who bought PS4s and want to see the best of what Sony's studios have to offer.

If I'm not mistaken, this version will also include the (widely acclaimed) $15 DLC expansion, so the price seems appropriate for - once again, introducing the game to a new audience that doesn't already own it.

#18 Posted by always_explicit (2655 posts) -

Haha people who buy the same game twice are the reason we keep seeing remasters, numerous sequels and season passes with our games.

The time money and effort going in to remastering this title is likely to be a quarter of that which went into the original, yet people will still pay $60 dollars for it regardless. Absolutely insane.

There is more chance of me buying a PS4 and paying $60 dollars for a crash bandicoot 2 remake than there is of me dropping $60 dollars on a game a I bought for my PS3 less than 12 months ago.

I want Sony and MS to offer me new content, or content which is actually old on systems a may well not own anymore, like PS and Xbox titles... classic games!!

Dont sell me the same game I bought last year for the same price tag.

#19 Posted by finalstar2007 (24880 posts) -

I see a lot of complaints about remasters, but this version isn't designed for people who own the PS3 one. It's designed to capture a new audience of people who bought PS4s and want to see the best of what Sony's studios have to offer.

If I'm not mistaken, this version will also include the (widely acclaimed) $15 DLC expansion, so the price seems appropriate for - once again, introducing the game to a new audience that doesn't already own it.

Exactly this version is diffidently trying to capture new people and since the game library isnt that big just yet on the PS4 releasing this Remaster on the PS4 is straight up a smart idea as this way a lot of those 7million or so PS4 owners are going to get this version not to mention those who want to play the game again.

another point is that seeing how its getting a PS4 version must mean Last of Us 2 will surely happen.

#20 Posted by finalstar2007 (24880 posts) -

Haha people who buy the same game twice are the reason we keep seeing remasters, numerous sequels and season passes with our games.

The time money and effort going in to remastering this title is likely to be a quarter of that which went into the original, yet people will still pay $60 dollars for it regardless. Absolutely insane.

There is more chance of me buying a PS4 and paying $60 dollars for a crash bandicoot 2 remake than there is of me dropping $60 dollars on a game a I bought for my PS3 less than 12 months ago.

I want Sony and MS to offer me new content, or content which is actually old on systems a may well not own anymore, like PS and Xbox titles... classic games!!

They are not targeting you ya know, this remaster is obviously targeting those who havent played the PS3 game and own a PS4 or those who never owned a PS system before with PS4 being the first.

they arent selling you anything as you are able to clearly not buy it.

new content will come but think of this as something on the side since you already played it.

#22 Posted by misterpmedia (3362 posts) -

Game of the year 2014 incoming. Titanfall, am cry.

#23 Edited by JangoWuzHere (15993 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@JangoWuzHere: By the time it does come out, it will be a year old, and year old games rarely cost 60$.

Diablo 3, StarCraft 2, Call of Duty, Skyrim, Heavenly Sword, Uncharted, and the majority of all nintendo games still had a 60$ price tag a whole year later. Those are the ones just off the top of my head.

#24 Posted by always_explicit (2655 posts) -

@always_explicit said:

They are not targeting you ya know, this remaster is obviously targeting those who havent played the PS3 game and own a PS4 or those who never owned a PS system before with PS4 being the first.

new content will come but think of this as something on the side since you already played it.

Doing things like this just devalues other PS4 features like Galkai for backwards compat.

This combined with hour long tech demo's like the recent Metal gear, it seems like devs are capitalizing on the lack of decent, full retail games and are just throwing out half hearted content to satisfy consumers and keep the money rolling it. You are right that it doesnt affect me because I choose not to buy it, but it does have an impact on the choice of content I have available to me and I do think its a shame.

I dont think at launch it was too much of an expectation to expect a NEW exclusive title from both Sony and MS....and I guess we did get it....in the form of RYSE and KNACK...

#25 Edited by CrashNBurn281 (391 posts) -

@always_explicit said:

That argument can be used for anything. Downloadable content nickel and diming you is ok because you do not have to buy it.

Microsoft's original DRM was ok because you don't have to buy a Xbox One.

It is still a year old title being sold like it is new. It isn't new. Its a cheap money grab at that price, even with the dlc.

#26 Posted by zeeshanhaider (2332 posts) -

@always_explicit said:

No, sony is in dire need of cash and they are milking dumb consololites like you because they know they can get away with it. If you continue to support these blood sucking parasites then they will keep on re releasing old content rather than invest in new ideas.

#27 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2555 posts) -

@JangoWuzHere: I'm looking up all the top rated games from the last sixth months, and almost everything that hasn't come out in the last three is discounted. I'm super excited Last of Us is coming out on ps4 -- I personally felt the ps3 held it back, both graphically and with that archaic controller -- but this feels like a blatant cash grab ready to release right as ps4's are collecting dust and gamers are questioning their early purchase.

#28 Posted by Shirokishi_ (11194 posts) -

I loved the game but what kind of idiot would double dip for $60? No offense.
Unless theres an nice chunk of new content I cant see a reason to pay anything over $40.

#29 Edited by bulby_g (1005 posts) -

I'd probably be interested in picking this up if it had all the DLC that I'm yet to purchase. The poor visuals in the original did grate on my a little. Only at a cheap price though (they should offer a discount day 1 for people who already have it on PS3 somehow).

#30 Posted by blamix (192 posts) -

Best game last year, of course im gettin it again

#31 Posted by always_explicit (2655 posts) -

but this feels like a blatant cash grab ready to release right as ps4's are collecting dust and gamers are questioning their early purchase.

This is exactly what is going on here. Delayed game after delayed game has left Sony's launch pretty disastrous in terms of software despite high hardware sales. Its no coincidence we are seeing rehash after rehash. its been nearly 6 months and the PS4 has very little quality software to make it a valuable NEXT GEN purchase. I will stick with the PS360 + X1 combo until E3 at least.

The X1 has not fared too much better but at least titles like Project Spark, and Titanfall are enough to keep me playing my X1 regularly.

#32 Edited by GrayF0X786 (3826 posts) -

I'm guessing if you have the ps3 disk version you can do a digital upgrade for just $10 right?

if not then

FUCK YOU SONY.

#33 Edited by rbamsey (112 posts) -

Very happy it is now official - have never owned PS3 after using my 360 last 4 years.

Now I want Ni No Kuni on it.

Then get some decent apps on the Vita and a better browser and all gripes are removed

#34 Edited by Slashkice (13000 posts) -
@Nike_Air said:

It's really happening , isn't it ? Journey's next.

If Journey doesn't happen, it'll be a damn shame. Besides Wipeout, it's pretty much the only PSN game I want to see get the PS4 treatment.

#35 Posted by Desmonic (13179 posts) -

This is exactly what is going on here. Delayed game after delayed game has left Sony's launch pretty disastrous in terms of software despite high hardware sales. Its no coincidence we are seeing rehash after rehash. its been nearly 6 months and the PS4 has very little quality software to make it a valuable NEXT GEN purchase. I will stick with the PS360 + X1 combo until E3 at least.

The X1 has not fared too much better but at least titles like Project Spark, and Titanfall are enough to keep me playing my X1 regularly.

Unless I'm mistaken, this is the first Sony "rehash" for the PS4, no?

#36 Posted by always_explicit (2655 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@always_explicit said:

well we have the tomb raider as well although its multiplat its still inexcusable IMHO

#37 Posted by Slashkice (13000 posts) -
@Desmonic said:

Nah, they did Escape Plan, Sound Shapes, Flower, Flow, and Dead Nation too. Those were all free either through cross-buy or PS+ so it's kinda dumb to complain about them though.

#38 Posted by Desmonic (13179 posts) -

@always_explicit: How is a TR port any of Sony's or MS's responsability?

Nah, they did Escape Plan, Sound Shapes, Flower, Flow, and Dead Nation too. Those were all free either through cross-buy or PS+ so it's kinda dumb to complain about them though.

Ah yes, those. I'd forgotten about them. But again free + small, indie so no "major" harm done I suppose.

#39 Posted by JangoWuzHere (15993 posts) -

@JangoWuzHere: I'm looking up all the top rated games from the last sixth months, and almost everything that hasn't come out in the last three is discounted. I'm super excited Last of Us is coming out on ps4 -- I personally felt the ps3 held it back, both graphically and with that archaic controller -- but this feels like a blatant cash grab ready to release right as ps4's are collecting dust and gamers are questioning their early purchase.

I still don't think the game is that old to be complaining about the 60$ price. Especially if it comes with the new story dlc and I imagine the multiplayer dlc as well. It just looks like a game of the year edition release like Uncharted 2, Uncharted 3, Skyrim, Mortal Kombat, Halo 4, Batman, Borderlands, and so on. I don't understand why other companies can do this, and Naughty Dog gets crap for it.

#40 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2555 posts) -
#41 Posted by always_explicit (2655 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@Slashkice said:

Ah yes, those. I'd forgotten about them. But again free + small, indie so no "major" harm done I suppose.

I place blame with devs also, it is a trend that should not continue along with season passes. Its a shared responsibility.

#42 Edited by Desmonic (13179 posts) -

@always_explicit said:

@Desmonic said:

@Slashkice said:

I place blame with devs also, it is a trend that should not continue along with season passes. Its a shared responsibility.

Depends on the season pass in question. A season pass for The Walking Dead games or Wold Among Us is awesome, but a season pass for MP heavy games like CoD, BF, etc is pure BS (since all you'll be getting is mostly map packs).

Some moderation is required, but extreme actions (like completely abandoning these ideas) are rarely the solution. ;)

#43 Edited by JangoWuzHere (15993 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@JangoWuzHere: They get crap for it, too.

No they don't, what are you even talking about. I haven't heard a single soul complain about any of those rereleased editions.

#44 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2555 posts) -

@JangoWuzHere: They're getting crap for it from me, right now. I stated in my first post that I have a problem with companies doing this, not just Naughty Dog. That's getting crap for it.

#45 Posted by JangoWuzHere (15993 posts) -

@JangoWuzHere: They're getting crap for it from me, right now. I stated in my first post that I have a problem with companies doing this, not just Naughty Dog. That's getting crap for it.

It's still not a bad value, so I still think your wrong. Ground Zeroes is actually worth complaining about, this is not.

#46 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (6024 posts) -

$60?!?!?!?!?!?! Looks like Naughty Dog changed their name to Naughty Shove it up your Ass Dog.

#47 Posted by casharmy (6821 posts) -

going to have to see what the hell they've done to this because $60 is a huge chunk of change for this. If you've never played the game maybe I could understand but still I think $40 is what they should have priced this game at being a remaster.

Again, I am really interested in seeing what they have done to it, if they've only made it 1080p @ 60fps with no other upgrades then I'll wait till this is $20 or $30 bucks. However, if they've done a complete overhaul I may consider getting the game day 1.

#48 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2555 posts) -

@JangoWuzHere: I paid 30$ for Ground Zeroes and played it for 12 hours. Last of Us is 8-10 hours for 60$.

#49 Posted by JangoWuzHere (15993 posts) -

@JangoWuzHere: I paid 30$ for Ground Zeroes and played it for 12 hours. Last of Us is 8-10 hours for 60$.

I also played Ground Zeroes for around 10 hours, but that game does not have 12 hours of game content, you would be crazy to think that.

#50 Posted by speedfog (2962 posts) -

I will buy a PS4 to play this. Let's hope that it's a good hd port...