The Last Of Us nearly completely rips off "The Road"

• 181 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14893 Posts
Seriously. This game is far from original. If anyone has read Cormac McCarthy's "The Road" or seen the movie version, you will know that this game is a complete ripoff. Just replace man and boy with man and girl (hell, the themes the characters present are pretty much the same, as with the child being born after the apocolypse), turn the environment from grey to green, replace cannibals with infected, and barring ending you got "The Road". And really, it will never approach the greatness of "The Road".
ithilgore2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 ithilgore2006
Member since 2006 • 10494 Posts
Stop.
onebeelo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 onebeelo
Member since 2011 • 440 Posts
i hope not. that movie sucked
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]Seriously. This game is far from original. If anyone has read Cormac McCarthy's "The Road" or seen the movie version, you will know that this game is a complete ripoff. Just replace man and boy with man and girl (hell, the themes the characters present are pretty much the same, as with the child being born after the apocolypse), turn the environment from grey to green, replace cannibals with infected, and barring ending you got "The Road". And really, it will never approach the greatness of "The Road".

Yeah totally. We've seen two cutscene trailers and a 7 minute gameplay demo. Such a rip-off of The Road... :roll:
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
"It's almost identical to this other work of fiction except for all these differences you should ignore so I can make a stupid point"
tryagainlater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#6 tryagainlater
Member since 2005 • 7446 Posts

You alright, dude? You seem to be a bit worked up over nothing.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts
so, completely change everything? ..... okay.
sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 sandbox3d
Member since 2010 • 5166 Posts

Sounds good, I really enjoyed that movie.

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#9 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

And? If it's good, it's good. I don't care what it rips off.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 texasgoldrush
i hope not. that movie suckedonebeelo
the book doesn't..........it is one of the most critically accliamed novels last decade.
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
Similar in concept, not at all in execution.
santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

Just stop.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
Member since 2002 • 7110 Posts

They share the same Post-Apocalyptic theme.....but we don't know EXACTLY what TLOU is really about.

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts
Nothing you play, watch, read, or listen to is original at this point.
onebeelo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 onebeelo
[QUOTE="onebeelo"]i hope not. that movie suckedtexasgoldrush
the book doesn't..........it is one of the most critically accliamed novels last decade.

critically acclaimed means nothing
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 texasgoldrush
Similar in concept, not at all in execution.meetroid8
http://www.gamesradar.com/last-us-preview-survival-gets-real/ "But Ellie isnt just a foil for the player, or an easy way to deliver story. Ellies lack of knowledge also helps reinforce her innocence and perhaps even hope. Meanwhile, Joel clearly knows how to survive, reminding Ellie to scavenge around for anything they can use, and knowing when theyre in danger." Sounds like a ripoff.........seriously the characters in the Road represents the same thing.
onebeelo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 onebeelo

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 santoron

They share the same Post-Apocalyptic theme.....but we don't know EXACTLY what TLOU is really about.

VERTIGO47

This. "I saw 3 minutes of a game that reminds me of a book/film. I am now expert and declare shameless ripoff!"

onebeelo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 onebeelo

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ace6301
[QUOTE="meetroid8"]Similar in concept, not at all in execution.texasgoldrush
http://www.gamesradar.com/last-us-preview-survival-gets-real/ "But Ellie isnt just a foil for the player, or an easy way to deliver story. Ellies lack of knowledge also helps reinforce her innocence and perhaps even hope. Meanwhile, Joel clearly knows how to survive, reminding Ellie to scavenge around for anything they can use, and knowing when theyre in danger." Sounds like a ripoff.........seriously the characters in the Road represents the same thing.

You appear to have an extremely narrow scope of fictional knowledge if you think The Road is the first piece of fiction to use that as a literary device. Granted I have past knowledge of your posts so I can say with certainty that I'm correct.
cslayer211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 cslayer211
Member since 2012 • 797 Posts
At least it doesn't rip-off another game, like 99% of the other stuff that was showed at E3.
santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 santoron

You appear to have an extremely narrow scope of fictional knowledge if you think The Road is the first piece of fiction to use that as a literary device. Granted I have past knowledge of your posts so I can say with certainty that I'm correct.Ace6301

Also this.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
No one is hyping it up as something original. But something some what refreshing given the current mainstream landscape? Really cool and different. The scripted nature of it all, and the close quarters QTE stuff isn't really appealing though.
Led_poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Led_poison
Member since 2004 • 10146 Posts
So, Joel will die at the end. Just saved everyone 60 bucks.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts
as far as non-originality goes they should just name it part of the Uncharted series since it's basically staring Nathan Drake with a beard
_Cadbury_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 _Cadbury_
Member since 2006 • 2936 Posts
meh. I'm over people claiming this copied that. Deal with it. It happens all the time. Not that I'm saying you're right.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="meetroid8"]Similar in concept, not at all in execution.Ace6301

You appear to have an extremely narrow scope of fictional knowledge if you think The Road is the first piece of fiction to use that as a literary device. Granted I have past knowledge of your posts so I can say with certainty that I'm correct.

However the way the literary device is used and the way the novel was written, its pretty original. More original than what the Last of Us is doing.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ace6301
[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] http://www.gamesradar.com/last-us-preview-survival-gets-real/ "But Ellie isnt just a foil for the player, or an easy way to deliver story. Ellies lack of knowledge also helps reinforce her innocence and perhaps even hope. Meanwhile, Joel clearly knows how to survive, reminding Ellie to scavenge around for anything they can use, and knowing when theyre in danger." Sounds like a ripoff.........seriously the characters in the Road represents the same thing.

However the way the literary device is used and the way the novel was written, its pretty original. More original than what the Last of Us is doing.

Wow a novel making better use of a literary device than a trailer for a video game. Slap me side ways and call me a writer but I find that shocking.
bleehum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 bleehum
Member since 2004 • 5321 Posts

http://donttrysohard.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/shake-head.gif.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="Ace6301"] You appear to have an extremely narrow scope of fictional knowledge if you think The Road is the first piece of fiction to use that as a literary device. Granted I have past knowledge of your posts so I can say with certainty that I'm correct.

Wow a novel making better use of a literary device than a trailer for a video game. Slap me side ways and call me a writer but I find that shocking.

Wrong, I based off a preview of someone with more knowledge, not a trailer. Try again.
_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts

This game reminded me a lot of The Road, which has me very excited because ever since I read that book I was hoping for a video game to take on such a jounrney.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Ace6301
[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] However the way the literary device is used and the way the novel was written, its pretty original. More original than what the Last of Us is doing.

Wrong, I based off a preview of someone with more knowledge, not a trailer. Try again.

No need, mission accomplished for me.
AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

Halo completely ripped off starship troopers

Uncharted completely riped off indiana jones

blah blah blah blah every game is going to draw insperation from something.

Dead-Memories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 190

#37 Dead-Memories
Member since 2008 • 6587 Posts

i've seen the film and am currently reading through the novel again, you are completely wrong. the road portrays its narrative through despondency and the most bare bonesdialogue i've ever read, there isn't even quotations to go along with the dialogue in the novel, serving to detach the reader from the characters and embed them in unity with the world around them. In ND's game, the characters are their own entities with presumably distinct attitudes and emotions.

The road had maybe one or two legitimate action scenes and took a whole different approach to the end-world aesthetic. The Last of Us seems to focus more on the action and character interaction.

The Road refer ed to the two protagonists as The Man and The Boy, that is how minimal the novel's approach to enhancing and developing its characters. The Road is a beautiful novel, but certainly not for everyone; a "presumed" video game adaption in the form of ND's new game, as you suggest, is completely ludicrous.

Stop looking for ways of bashing this game, or at least don't try to bring a venerable novel to this fanboy nonsense.

drakekratos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 drakekratos
Member since 2011 • 2311 Posts
how come this didn't get locked by the "TLOU gameplay reveal" did?
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#40 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
The aesthetics and visuals are completely different. The Road was bleak compared to how much colour is in this game.
Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#41 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

So despite it being a complete ripoff, you still have to list the differences? What now?

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#42 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
The aesthetics and visuals are completely different. The Road was bleak compared to how much colour is in this game.
Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#43 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

So despite it being a complete ripoff, you still have to list the differences? What now?

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 texasgoldrush

i've seen the film and am currently reading through the novel again, you are completely wrong. the road portrays its narrative through despondency and the most bare bonesdialogue i've ever read, there isn't even quotations to go along with the dialogue in the novel, serving to detach the reader from the characters and embed them in unity with the world around them. In ND's game, the characters are their own entities with presumably distinct attitudes and emotions.

The road had maybe one or two legitimate action scenes and took a whole different approach to the end-world aesthetic. The Last of Us seems to focus more on the action and character interaction.

The Road refer ed to the two protagonists as The Man and The Boy, that is how minimal the novel's approach to enhancing and developing its characters. The Road is a beautiful novel, but certainly not for everyone, a "presumed" video game adaption in the form of ND's new game, as you suggest, is completely ludicrous.

Stop looking for ways of bashing this game, or at least don't try to bring a venerable novel to this fanboy nonsense.

Dead-Memories
Wrong If you think that the man and the boy aren't their own entities you are completely wrong. Yes, the format of the novel and how it was wirtten is unique, but the characters are still there. And the game doesn't have to use the same naming convention...the same relationship is there. While they are not related, the parent-chiold bond and what the characters represent is still there. Face facts here, they took a bunch of elements from The Road. Its undeniable.
padaporra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 padaporra
Member since 2005 • 3508 Posts

I think it's to early to tell. The setting is pretty common, so of course there will be similarities with other works... let's see how they develop it first, which is what truly matters.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 texasgoldrush
The aesthetics and visuals are completely different. The Road was bleak compared to how much colour is in this game. biggest_loser
still post apocolyptic. Not much different. Also the title.

Lionheart08
Notice I said nearly in my topic title....but from the looks of it, the core, the bond and the themes, of The Road and this game are way too similiar.
SRTtoZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SRTtoZ
Member since 2009 • 4800 Posts

[QUOTE="Dead-Memories"]

The Road refer ed to the two protagonists as The Man and The Boy, that is how minimal the novel's approach to enhancing and developing its characters. The Road is a beautiful novel, but certainly not for everyone, a "presumed" video game adaption in the form of ND's new game, as you suggest, is completely ludicrous.

texasgoldrush

Wrong If you think that the man and the boy aren't their own entities you are completely wrong. Yes, the format of the novel and how it was wirtten is unique, but the characters are still there. And the game doesn't have to use the same naming convention...the same relationship is there. While they are not related, the parent-chiold bond and what the characters represent is still there. Face facts here, they took a bunch of elements from The Road. Its undeniable.

Legitimate question. Do you have brain damage?

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 texasgoldrush

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="Dead-Memories"]

SRTtoZ

Are you an idiot?
Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#49 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Does it really matter? While it's not anything special, it still looks great.

SRTtoZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SRTtoZ
Member since 2009 • 4800 Posts

[QUOTE="SRTtoZ"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] Wrong If you think that the man and the boy aren't their own entities you are completely wrong. Yes, the format of the novel and how it was wirtten is unique, but the characters are still there. And the game doesn't have to use the same naming convention...the same relationship is there. While they are not related, the parent-chiold bond and what the characters represent is still there. Face facts here, they took a bunch of elements from The Road. Its undeniable.texasgoldrush

Are you an idiot?

Question answered.