The Last of Us: Left Behind | GS Review

• 117 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#101 Edited by seanmcloughlin (38214 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

McShea really can sound like a moron at times

His misinterpretation of Joel in TLOU is pretty bad; I'm not sure how he thought some of the things he did.

Yeah his assumption that Joel might have had drug dealings before and that's why he's coming home late is just dumb, there was nothing to suggest Joel was that shady. Tom clearly didn't get the character or understand him very well.

I personally think Joel is one of the best videogame characters I've seen. People constantly praise Ellie and while she's good and all, she's very predictable or repetitive for 3/4 of the game. Joel is a much more nuanced and conflicted character who gets a lot of nice progression. You see him go through a lot throughout the game and how it shapes him

#102 Posted by Minishdriveby (9738 posts) -

@Minishdriveby said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

His misinterpretation of Joel in TLOU is pretty bad; I'm not sure how he thought some of the things he did.

I know right? He comes home late cause he's a drug dealer. Nevermind that he blatantly talks about construction work with Tommy on the phone.

How does he come up with this stuff?

I'm not sure. It's probably him taking things out of context which is why many things are wrongly interpreted. For instance, Robert Frost's The Road Not Taken is often times used during graduation speeches as a motivational/inspirational poem about forging your own path. Usually the line, “I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference,” is used in a speech, but it's almost always taken out of context.

Tom used the fact that Joel came home extremely late, or the fact that he yelled at Ellie to show he was a despicable human being who had no feelings for his daughter or Ellie and was possibly selling drugs; however, he didn't finish the game's 'stanza;' he didn't 'read' on to realize Joel was in construction, a profession that can work late hours (my girlfriend's father works night shifts sometimes), or the fact that he showed remorse for his actions toward Ellie in the very next scene, and from there on till the end of the game.

#103 Edited by Shinobishyguy (22421 posts) -

Does anyone here really take McShea's reviews seriously?

#104 Edited by Minishdriveby (9738 posts) -

@Minishdriveby said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

Yeah his assumption that Joel might have had drug dealings before and that's why he's coming home late is just dumb, there was nothing to suggest Joel was that shady. Tom clearly didn't get the character or understand him very well.

I personally think Joel is one of the best videogame characters I've seen. People constantly praise Ellie and while she's good and all, she's very predictable or repetitive for 3/4 of the game. Joel is a much more nuanced and conflicted character who gets a lot of nice progression. You see him go through a lot throughout the game and how it shapes him

I didn't find Ellie all that interesting in TLoU. I'm not sure about Left Behind which seems like it should really flesh out her character, but TLOU was very much Joel's story.

#105 Posted by lamprey263 (23142 posts) -

I hope they release a GOTY edition with DLC included, as I still have not picked this game up.

#106 Posted by Seabas989 (10105 posts) -

@Seabas989: who can blame them. The reviewer botched that review because of the main character. Joel...drug dealer...okay.

Being angry at a review, especially after all this time, is sad and pathetic.

#107 Posted by Zaraxius (205 posts) -

@millerlight89 said:

@Seabas989: who can blame them. The reviewer botched that review because of the main character. Joel...drug dealer...okay.

Being angry at a review, especially after all this time, is sad and pathetic.

Yeah, sounds like he's really angry about the review and not just criticizing it. Anything to feel better than other people though, right?

#108 Edited by GoldenElementXL (2770 posts) -

Well its obvious why Gamespot gave the DLC such a good score. A game with any sort of LGBT ties gets bonus points.

#109 Edited by finalstar2007 (24947 posts) -

Man Naughty Dogs never disappoint, looking forward to playing this DLC

#110 Edited by solidfish30 (676 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Minishdriveby said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

I didn't find Ellie all that interesting in TLoU. I'm not sure about Left Behind which seems like it should really flesh out her character, but TLOU was very much Joel's story.

It's nice to see these opinions, although I very much do love both Joel and Ellie as characters, I find that The Last of Us really is his story and that he is a little overlooked compared to Ellie. However, Left Behind gives a hell of a lot of context to the core game in regards to Ellie, it really does open her up as a character.

#111 Posted by freedomfreak (39156 posts) -

Finished it. Great DLC. Some really good moments in there, and it wasn't just DLC to put out more content. It actually had something meaningful to tell about Ellie's character. They expanded quite well on that.

Shame the encounters felt so forced. TLOU had the same problem, but to a way less extent. It really feels like filler for some encounters in Left Behind.

#112 Edited by W1NGMAN- (9958 posts) -

Probably the best DLC I've purchased all of last gen. This game is such a masterpiece!

#113 Posted by ni6htmare01 (916 posts) -

Left behind is awesome! Much better than I expected. Didn't clock how long it was, but it was fun. It makes me wanted to replay the main story again!

#114 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9508 posts) -

Left behind is awesome! Much better than I expected. Didn't clock how long it was, but it was fun. It makes me wanted to replay the main story again!

I beat in almost 3 hours.

#115 Posted by Heil68 (43450 posts) -

Will be playing this shortly. :D

#116 Posted by chocolate1325 (32462 posts) -

Not much I can say just well worth it.

#117 Posted by W1NGMAN- (9958 posts) -

Ha it had me feeling the same way, so I went ahead and started the campaign again :P

#118 Posted by Shielder7 (5151 posts) -

@xboxdone74 said:

Wow...we really are seeing the end of pc and xbox gaming. Amazing a dlc could bring that about.

b-b-b-but expansions shouldn't count!!11

And he's cheering for DLC

LOL

Expansions only count when they're on the PC according to hermits.