The Last of Us: Left Behind | GS Review

• 117 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Slashkice (13231 posts) -

Left Behind is a hugely successful add-on to The Last of Us. When I played through the main game last year, I had trouble connecting to Joel, because his rough demeanor and questionable choices left a bitter taste in my mouth. So it was a relief that his desperation was nowhere to be found in Left Behind. Instead, the story focuses on love and hope. Seeing how Ellie acts with a peer, a friend, gave me new appreciation for her, and Riley offers another strong character to latch on to. The focus on exploration also lets the well-realized environments breathe, and gives you plenty of time to take in the current state of the world. And when a combat encounter surfaces, it's so much more impactful considering how rare fights are and the exhausting tension that accompanies each battle. Left Behind is an excellent addition that gives further insight into the chilling world of The Last of Us and its most interesting character.

--

Launch Trailer:

--

The DLC is 5GB and should be up on PSN within the hour (if it's not already up).

Going by the review, it looks like Naughty Dog's first single-player DLC is a hit. I can't wait to play it, what about you System Wars?

#2 Posted by cfisher2833 (1709 posts) -

lol, at first I thought this was gonna be a review for some crazy evangelical game.

#3 Posted by super600 (30716 posts) -

So the dlc scored higher than the actual game. Has that happened before on gamespot?

#4 Edited by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

@super600:

it should've happened for the lost and damned vs gta4 but didnt

#5 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11910 posts) -

Man, McShea is probably the biggest troll in gaming journalism lel

#6 Posted by bobbetybob (19287 posts) -

Tom McShea loves little girls confirmed.

Oh come on someone had to do it. As ridiculous as his hatred of Joel was it seems that he did actually enjoy the game so that's good.

#7 Posted by Technoweirdo (7222 posts) -

Looking forward to exploration~ Combat...maybe not so much. Abused bricks as much as possible on Survivor. Least there's less of it.

#8 Edited by CrashNBurn281 (424 posts) -

Finally DLC that actually makes you feel like it was money well spent. There goes more of my hard earned cash. :(

#9 Posted by getyeryayasout (7598 posts) -

I'm looking forward to playing after work tomorrow. If I download it tonight I'll stay up too late. Thank you, ND.

#10 Posted by mems_1224 (47230 posts) -

Mcshea thought Joel was a drug dealer. Can't really take his opinions seriously when he doesn't even understand the main game.

#11 Edited by Cheleman (7707 posts) -

Downloading right now.

LETS GO MOTHER*******, I'm ready to cry ;_;

#12 Edited by blamix99 (2047 posts) -

day off tommorow. heck im getting this

#13 Posted by AmazonAngry (945 posts) -

I'm downloading it as we speak!

#14 Posted by lostrib (37560 posts) -

I guess I'll give it a go then

#15 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

Joel was too mean for Tom. He sounds like a wimp...

#16 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11910 posts) -

@Cheleman: Remember when we thought we had the ending to TLOU spoiled? lel

#17 Posted by Cheleman (7707 posts) -

@PhazonBlazer:

no phazon, not lel, I almost hanged myself from the nuts that day, nothing funny about that >:(

#18 Posted by AcidTango (609 posts) -

Wow so not only did it score higher then the TLOU, but it was reviewed by Tom again. That actually surprised me XD

#19 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

Wow...we really are seeing the end of pc and xbox gaming. Amazing a dlc could bring that about.

#20 Posted by ninjapirate2000 (3047 posts) -

Mcshea'd

#21 Edited by Chutebox (37351 posts) -

Second sentence is irritating

#22 Edited by Teuf_ (30805 posts) -

@super600 said:

So the dlc scored higher than the actual game. Has that happened before on gamespot?

It's the first time that I can remember. Must be some damn good DLC. :P

#23 Posted by GiantAssPanda (1606 posts) -

Still need to play the main game..

#24 Posted by darkspineslayer (19751 posts) -

I should probably get my disk back shortly.

#25 Edited by istreakforfood (7749 posts) -

@GiantAssPanda:

Same here. Bad enough I also have a huge backlog of games to play.

#26 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (14406 posts) -

Must have received a 9 since Joel isn't there, lol.

#27 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

inb4 crazed fanboys continue to act like 8 is a terrible score which meant that McShea hated the game, and express confusion that he could love the DLC so much.

@PhazonBlazer said:

Dammit.

#28 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (14406 posts) -

@the_bi99man said:

inb4 crazed fanboys continue to act like 8 is a terrible score which meant that McShea hated the game, and express confusion that he could love the DLC so much.

@PhazonBlazer said:

Dammit.

It's not that 8 is a terrible score, it's that his reasons for said score were largely shit, especially how he held it against the game that he couldn't relate to characters and didn't understand why Joel committed such violent acts.

Whereas I personally found and many others also, that the last of us was one of the most human games I've ever played.

#29 Posted by cooolio (496 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@the_bi99man said:

@PhazonBlazer said:

Dammit.

It's not that 8 is a terrible score, it's that his reasons for said score were largely shit, especially how he held it against the game that he couldn't relate to characters and didn't understand why Joel committed such violent acts.

Whereas I personally found and many others also, that the last of us was one of the most human games I've ever played.

The only criticism I would feel compelled to agree with him about is a lack of optional interaction through exploration and with the characters. I just watched a friend at college play maybe 30 minutes or 20 minutes of the dlc and it already adds a lot more character interaction and story through exploration.

#30 Posted by Cheleman (7707 posts) -

finished it.

10/10

GOAT of all GOATS of all times.

#31 Edited by silversix_ (14781 posts) -

i sold my TLOU copy months ago FUCK......

#32 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4490 posts) -

Was it all the threats that made him give it a 9 :P

#33 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3609 posts) -

So it's better than the main game.

#34 Posted by g0ddyX (3914 posts) -

What score it should have at the very least.

#35 Posted by freedomfreak (40884 posts) -

Downloading it today.

#36 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5176 posts) -

@killatwill15 said:

@super600:

it should've happened for the lost and damned Ballot of Gay Tony vs gta4 but didnt

Fixed.

#37 Edited by MonsieurX (30413 posts) -

@xboxdone74 said:

Wow...we really are seeing the end of pc and xbox gaming. Amazing a dlc could bring that about.

b-b-b-but expansions shouldn't count!!11

And he's cheering for DLC

LOL

#38 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (5095 posts) -

Just finished it. Cracking bit of DLC. Any questions?

Only thing I didn't like is that I've gotta wait 2-3 years before entering the world of TLOU again. :(

#39 Posted by Krelian-co (11158 posts) -

agh another review by mcshea, that's an automatic dismiss in my book, brb going another place to read about it.

#41 Posted by Krelian-co (11158 posts) -

@HalcyonScarlet said:

Was it all the threats that made him give it a 9 :P

nah is because mean joel was not in it and according to mcshea every main character must be heroic god forbid people try something different, i mean according to him, joel coming home late at the beginning of TLOU must mean he was a drug dealer!!!!

#42 Posted by Ratchet_Fan8 (5550 posts) -

length?

#43 Posted by loosingENDS (11826 posts) -

5GB download ?

Is there any chance we get this on a special edition disk version ?

#44 Posted by bezza2011 (2548 posts) -

was it tho that tom just didn't get joel because he just couldnt comprehend what losing a child would do to you, in that situation.

it's just silly how a 2hours game can score higher than the impactful strong story in the last of us, but it is what it is.

but yep confirmed he loves little girls

#45 Posted by Solid_Max13 (3548 posts) -

@super600 said:

Tom McShea felt bad about his score and realized his wrong doings! But yea I thought the same thing as well :)

#46 Posted by joel_c17 (2861 posts) -

@Ratchet_Fan8: between 6-7 inches

#47 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

@Krelian-co: I still cant wrap my head around that one.

#48 Edited by Stevo_the_gamer (42966 posts) -

Wow, that's a pretty glowing review for an addon.

#49 Posted by tonitorsi (8481 posts) -

So now that the Hype has passed, he decides to give it the score it originally deserves since an Add On won't get him the hits he wants?

I see you McShea.

#50 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9807 posts) -
@super600 said:

McShea is trying to make up for giving it an 8, but at the same time being a trolling little bitch by still bashing TLoU and trying to justify his 8/10 score for it.

He knows people hate him.