The greatest game of all time is twenty years old today

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#151 Edited by _Matt_ (9426 posts) -

Dark Souls is already 20 years old?!

Wow how time flies

#152 Posted by nyzma23 (984 posts) -

warcraft 3 and counter strike is the best games of all time

#153 Edited by Litchie (16652 posts) -

Indeed. A true masterpiece. It was made 20 years ago and still beats a shitload of new games at gameplay, graphics and soundtrack.

#154 Edited by AzatiS (8131 posts) -

@charizard1605: Good game definitly ... but best ever.. not even close.

To me only revolutionized games can be on my top 10 best ever list . Super metroid was great but another shooting side scroller that did some things way better than others but still .... A very well known formula since mid 80s made in mid 90s by Nintendo in a great fashion

#155 Posted by XboxDone74 (2116 posts) -

@jdc6305: yep. Totally believe you. Fact trumps your irrelevant opinion, but do feel free to cry more.

#156 Posted by locopatho (20983 posts) -

@AzatiS said:

To me only revolutionized games can be on my top 10 best ever list . Super metroid was great but another shooting side scroller that did some things way better than others but still .... A very well known formula since mid 80s made in mid 90s by Nintendo in a great fashion

Maybe the "revolutionized" tag would go to Metroid 1 on NES but the whole exploration and backtracking with different powers over an open world was very innovative? In the context of a 2D shooter.

#157 Edited by AzatiS (8131 posts) -

@locopatho said:

@AzatiS said:

Maybe the "revolutionized" tag would go to Metroid 1 on NES but the whole exploration and backtracking with different powers over an open world was very innovative? In the context of a 2D shooter.

To revolutionize a 2D shooter is not an easy task. Innovative you can call that , depends though your previous experience. People declaring some 80s/ early 90s console games as best ever though they havent ANY arcade experience of 80s/early 90s. It was there that real revolutions/innovations etc first happened on many genres and not on consoles at that time.

Super Metroid was a fine game no doubt but best game ever ... ah nah!

#158 Posted by locopatho (20983 posts) -

@AzatiS said:

@locopatho said:

@AzatiS said:

To revolutionize a 2D shooter is not an easy task. Innovative you can call that , depends though your previous experience. People declaring some 80s/ early 90s console games as best ever though they havent ANY arcade experience of 80s/early 90s. It was there that real revolutions/innovations etc first happened on many genres and not on consoles at that time.

I just don't recall any game doing anything remotely like Metroid/Super Metroid. It was always run right, keep blasting in games like Contra.

I am for sure no expert on arcades so maybe earlier games did something like that.

But yeah I wouldn't call it best ever either.

#159 Posted by LJS9502_basic (152394 posts) -

Was going to say there is no such thing as greatest game...but since you picked an iconic game....I'll give you a pass on that. Cheers!

#160 Edited by nintendoboy16 (28044 posts) -

@locopatho said:

@AzatiS said:

@locopatho said:

I just don't recall any game doing anything remotely like Metroid/Super Metroid. It was always run right, keep blasting in games like Contra.

I am for sure no expert on arcades so maybe earlier games did something like that.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was (heck, this goes for older PC games too). Even if Nintendo didn't invent things like this, they did at least popularize them, like d-pads, analog sticks and four player support out of the box. If they didn't do even that (popularize the genre Metroid falls under), how did Symphony of the Night, Cave Story, Shadow Complex and Batman: Arkham Asylum exist?

#161 Edited by AzatiS (8131 posts) -
@locopatho said:

@AzatiS said:

@locopatho said:

@AzatiS said:

If you asking me about first Metroid , well i cant comment. I havent played it and its really old game i see released on 86. So no i doubt there was any game back then to blend shooting/platforming with non linear maps.

#162 Posted by charizard1605 (61548 posts) -

@nintendoboy16: I am still awaiting your reply. Or do you concede you have been unnecessarily jumping the gun and assuming Metroid has been put on hiatus for no reason but your own paranoia?

#163 Posted by lostrib (42725 posts) -

@gamespot4life said:

@lostrib said:

@notrolling said:

ahahahahahahaha...

Nintendo crap.

The Last of Us is the greatest game of all time and only available on the PS3. The definitive edition on the PS4 soon.

Source?

Nintendo Crap? you must be young

Uh no, I thought it would be obvious I was asking about the section in bold

#164 Posted by vl4d_l3nin (985 posts) -

Never owned a SNES. I had a.. SEGA CDX! It actually had some superior Genesis ports w some kick ass music.

Loading Video...

oh the 90's

#165 Posted by TigerSuperman (3561 posts) -

@locopatho said:

@AzatiS said:

@locopatho said:

@AzatiS said:

There are like tons of games that did that before Metroid.

#166 Posted by locopatho (20983 posts) -

@TigerSuperman said:

@locopatho said:

@AzatiS said:

@locopatho said:

@AzatiS said:

There are like tons of games that did that before Metroid.

Mind telling me which ones? I'd like to check them out.

#167 Posted by TigerSuperman (3561 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@locopatho said:

@AzatiS said:

@locopatho said:

I wouldn't be surprised if there was (heck, this goes for older PC games too). Even if Nintendo didn't invent things like this, they did at least popularize them, like d-pads, analog sticks and four player support out of the box. If they didn't do even that (popularize the genre Metroid falls under), how did Symphony of the Night, Cave Story, Shadow Complex and Batman: Arkham Asylum exist?

D-pads already existed, they just did not look like crosses.

Analogs also were used for a lot of games, especially in arcade sims. Some consoles had them to.

4-player support out the box is also not a nintendo thing, and I actually think that you believe this one baffles me the most.

Why did you compare Batman AA to Metroid? Also the fact the free roaming platformers that allow you to go in mutliple directions already exited in droves before metroid,

It's like saying we should give credit to half-life for something 5 games before it did.

#168 Posted by nintendoboy16 (28044 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@nintendoboy16: I am still awaiting your reply. Or do you concede you have been unnecessarily jumping the gun and assuming Metroid has been put on hiatus for no reason but your own paranoia?

Don't you find it a tad suspicious that a once quite frequent franchise is taking slower than it used to after that last game that ended up causing a fan uproar and worse sales than a modern Rayman game (which Ubisoft called underperforming at one point for BOTH games)? While I think Mario needs a cutback, I'd get suspicious if they killed off everything but either the platformer (2D or 3D), kart racers, or RPG's (for the sake of argument, there can be only one). Sure you could make the argument that Nintendo admitted that they are having a hard time with HD (and you did), and when Metroid at one point made appearances on handheld games, but nothing is announced for even the 3DS (you know, the system that's commonly said that Nintendo cares more for) after how long (2006 had Prime Hunters, it's 2014 now and where the hell is a handheld Metroid)?

And don't give me the "other series don't have the praise Metroid does" excuse. That (almost as it depends on what publisher) means nothing if you're a corporation expecting better sales out of your games.

#169 Posted by Lucianu (9571 posts) -

I think the game does have an amazing atmosphere and a great soundtrack, but i am not a fan of its lack of informing the player, there are few areas in which i got completely bewildered on what to do. And not the "why can't i crouch" simple stuff.

Still, dat soundtrack. And gameplay, it plays so damn well. I think i may pick up tonight from where i left off in the game, put in another couple of hours. I need to finish this damned game before i judge it. Hm, i still need to finish Secret of Mana tho..

#170 Posted by charizard1605 (61548 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@charizard1605 said:

Don't you find it a tad suspicious that a once quite frequent franchise is taking slower than it used to after that last game that ended up causing a fan uproar and worse sales than a modern Rayman game (which Ubisoft called underperforming at one point for BOTH games)? While I think Mario needs a cutback, I'd get suspicious if they killed off everything but either the platformer (2D or 3D), kart racers, or RPG's (for the sake of argument, there can be only one). Sure you could make the argument that Nintendo admitted that they are having a hard time with HD (and you did), and when Metroid at one point made appearances on handheld games, but nothing is announced for even the 3DS (you know, the system that's commonly said that Nintendo cares more for) after how long (2006 had Prime Hunters, it's 2014 now and where the hell is a handheld Metroid)?

And don't give me the "other series don't have the praise Metroid does" excuse. That (almost as it depends on what publisher) means nothing if you're a corporation expecting better sales out of your games.

Maybe they gave up on handheld Metroid? Did you miss that point?

As for prestige- you realize a console manufacturer often funds games it knows won't sell, simply to diversify its lineup and/or attract core attention and press and mainstream coverage? Do you really think Sony thought Flower would sell? Do you think Nintendo ever expected to recoup its investment on The Wonderful 101 or Bayonetta 2? No. These titles are funded to attract a certain kind of demographic to the console, that's it.

Having said that, Metroid does sell. Metroid does recoup its investment. And once again, Metroid is the rare franchise that actually attracts the core gamer to Nintendo. Use your head and apply some logic for a change- do you really think they will let that go?

Finally, I find it hilarious that a delay of six months (because that's the deviation we are at right now from the usual gap between titles) means it is on hiatus, especially given Nintendo's incessant hints that they are in fact working on the franchise right at this moment, everyone from Reggie to Retro to Miyamoto himself have hinted at that (and as you yourself are so fond of pointing out, when Star Fox and F-Zero went on hiatus, Miyamoto was pretty clear that Nintendo had no clue what to do with the franchises anymore). You're not even consistent with your own paranoia, you're just trying to find fire where there's not even any smoke.

Oh, one last thing, I also find it hilarious how you touch on the 'critical acclaim' part of my argument for F-Zero/Star Fox, but completely ignore how I mention they never sold, that a single Metroid game probably has outsold the entire LTD sales for F-Zero for example.

#171 Posted by nintendoboy16 (28044 posts) -

@TigerSuperman said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@locopatho said:

Analogs also were used for a lot of games, especially in arcade sims. Some consoles had them to.

4-player support out the box is also not a nintendo thing, and I actually think that you believe this one baffles me the most.

Why did you compare Batman AA to Metroid? Also the fact the free roaming platformers that allow you to go in mutliple directions already exited in droves before metroid,

It's like saying we should give credit to half-life for something 5 games before it did.

I said "popularize", as in they made them catch on. I didn't say anywhere in that post that they invented it.

#172 Posted by Lucianu (9571 posts) -
@seanmcloughlin said:

Almost as old as me

Chuckled out loud at this.

#173 Posted by Lucianu (9571 posts) -

@edwardecl said:

There is no greatest game of all time... games are constantly evolving and getting better. Most games 20 years old or even 10 years old would be taken the piss out of if released today.

Disagree entirely on that. Production values and the software engine behind the games are getting better and thus standards rise as each year passes. But that doesn't mean they're (the games) getting better, or getting worse, in general. There are countless exceptions to both, but there's absolutely no definitive answer.

Besides, gaming is a personal experience. Whatever game may be better than another game for you personally, may be the completely opposite point of view of another person.

#174 Posted by TigerSuperman (3561 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@TigerSuperman said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@locopatho said:

I said "popularize", as in they made them catch on. I didn't say anywhere in that post that they invented it.

And I am saying you are wrong. For platformers for all direction, one could argue Metroid made them less popular or they were less popular since metroid.

#175 Posted by Sword-Demon (7001 posts) -

@darkmark91 said:

Reading those Logs in the Prime games is NO way to tell a story... (I am being attacked by Aliens! I am not going to STOP the action to read...)

Completely disagree.

Reading about how the planet became the way it was, from the perspectives of both the Space Pirates as well as the Chozo was amazing. Plus the game had outstanding atmosphere, which had its own form of storytelling.

#176 Posted by lbjkurono23 (12544 posts) -

It's not even the best metroid game. I'll take zero mission, or fusion. Though it's still a great game.

#177 Posted by glez13 (9022 posts) -

While Super Metoid was boss back in the day, if I had to choose and old game I would choose Symphony of the Night over it.

#178 Edited by nintendoboy16 (28044 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@charizard1605 said:

As for prestige- you realize a console manufacturer often funds games it knows won't sell, simply to diversify its lineup and/or attract core attention and press and mainstream coverage? Do you really think Sony thought Flower would sell? Do you think Nintendo ever expected to recoup its investment on The Wonderful 101 or Bayonetta 2? No. These titles are funded to attract a certain kind of demographic to the console, that's it.

Having said that, Metroid does sell. Metroid does recoup its investment. And once again, Metroid is the rare franchise that actually attracts the core gamer to Nintendo. Use your head and apply some logic for a change- do you really think they will let that go?

Finally, I find it hilarious that a delay of six months (because that's the deviation we are at right now from the usual gap between titles) means it is on hiatus, especially given Nintendo's incessant hints that they are in fact working on the franchise right at this moment, everyone from Reggie to Retro to Miyamoto himself have hinted at that (and as you yourself are so fond of pointing out, when Star Fox and F-Zero went on hiatus, Miyamoto was pretty clear that Nintendo had no clue what to do with the franchises anymore). You're not even consistent with your own paranoia, you're just trying to find fire where there's not even any smoke.

Oh, one last thing, I also find it hilarious how you touch on the 'critical acclaim' part of my argument for F-Zero/Star Fox, but completely ignore how I mention they never sold, that a single Metroid game probably has outsold the entire LTD sales for F-Zero for example.

No, I didn't miss the "giving up on handheld Metroid" point. But since I added the Common Knowledge (a trope name) that Nintendo somehow cares for their handheld more than their consoles, that Prime Hunters underperformed and the series hasn't been seen on handhelds since, I thought it was still worth noting.

Well considering they are going as far as "experimenting" with F2P (which has me a bit worried about Nintendo in aspects I'd never thought would happen and hope that bombs because of it), you never know.

Those hints (which are only words at this point) mean nothing if there isn't any big announcements (I'll give them until E3 or a Nintendo Direct) and/or releases coming to back it up (although, now that I think about it, MAYBE I'll bite with a convincing visual hint). Like I said, I want Metroid to come back and I'd love to be proven wrong on this when Nintendo proves it. Yes, I did note in past posts that Miyamoto and co have no idea on what to do with the F-Zero and Star Fox franchises, but here's another thing worth noting, Miyamoto also admitted that he thought people were tired of F-Zero, add to the fact that he threatened to kill Star Fox if 64 3D doesn't sell (which Dylan Cuthbert calls a bluff, again, you never know).

Do you seriously think that, specifically in the case of Metroid, what sold well in the past implies it'll sell in the present? Yeah, Metroid has fared better than the other two series in it's lifetime and has more million seller games to back that up, but it won't matter IF a new Metroid releases, tanks just like Other M and Hunters did and if the absence is longer.

#179 Posted by charizard1605 (61548 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@charizard1605 said:

No, I didn't miss the "giving up on handheld Metroid" point. But since I added the Common Knowledge (a trope name) that Nintendo somehow cares for their handheld more than their consoles, that Prime Hunters underperformed and the series hasn't been seen on handhelds since, I thought it was still worth noting.

Well considering they are going as far as "experimenting" with F2P (which has me a bit worried about Nintendo in aspects I'd never thought would happen and hope that bombs because of it), you never know.

Those hints (which are only words at this point) mean nothing if there isn't any big announcements (I'll give them until E3 or a Nintendo Direct) and/or releases coming to back it up (although, now that I think about it, MAYBE I'll bite with a convincing visual hint). Like I said, I want Metroid to come back and I'd love to be proven wrong on this when Nintendo proves it. Yes, I did note in past posts that Miyamoto and co have no idea on what to do with the F-Zero and Star Fox franchises, but here's another thing worth noting, Miyamoto also admitted that he thought people were tired of F-Zero, add to the fact that he threatened to kill Star Fox if 64 3D doesn't sell (which Dylan Cuthbert calls a bluff, again, you never know).

Do you seriously think that, specifically in the case of Metroid, what sold well in the past implies it'll sell in the present? Yeah, Metroid has fared better than the other two series in it's lifetime and has more million seller games to back that up, but it won't matter IF a new Metroid releases and tanks just like Other M and Hunters did and if the absence is longer.

... Yes? If something has sold well in the past, it's not exactly a stretch to assume it'll sell well with a newer, similar product, is it? Or I think Apple should stop making iPhones now. just because they sold well last year, there's no guarantee they will sell well this year!

Okay, so here's what I get from your post: you have absolutely no concrete or logical grounds to stand on (and WTF at bringing in Nintendo's F2P games which have absolutely nothing to do with what we are discussing). Nintendo has teased a new Metroid multiple times (and Nintendo is one company that always follows up teases with announcements, every single time- if they aren't doing something, they either go on radio silence about it, such as Earthbound, or they flat out deny it, such as Star Fox and F-Zero). All logic and evidence, therefore, points to a new Metroid game, a console Metroid game, in development- a game that Nintendo realizes needs to make a strong first impression, so won't unveil unless they can make the best impact to the largest audience (hint: it's called E3), and a game that, given the resource intensive nature of the series, and the well documented troubles Nintendo has had with HD development, is taking more time than expected, hence the 180 extra days that contribute to the longer 'absence' since the last installment.

Your one basis so far for claiming Metroid went on hiatus (a claim that once again I need to point out is unsubstantiated, and yet you spout it like the Holy Grail) is, somehow, an analogy to Star Fox and F-Zero... where you conveniently for some reason are simultaneously ignoring and acknowledging the fact that Nintendo openly said they are done with those two franchises, and they have never said the same for Metroid, on the contrary, they have been pretty damn unsubtle with their incessant teasing of a new Metroid over the past two years.

Given all of this, this is how I summarize your point of view:

• You have no evidence, but paranoia and a wonky analogy to two of Nintendo's lowest selling mainstream franchises
  • You ignore evidence where Nintendo is teasing a new Metroid
  • You ignore evidence where Nintendo is having issues with HD development, and how they would apply to a resource intensive game like Metroid
  • You ignore Metroid's critical reception, especially compared to the two franchises you keep drawing analogies to, and what it means in the bigger picture of a console business
  • You ignore Metroid's sales, for some reason concluding that yes Metroid sold well in the past, but it won't sell well in the present

You know what? You make a compelling case. I'm convinced. Metroid is definitely on hiatus. it's on hold now!

Please if you respond to this post, respond with something concrete, something that moves this discussion forwards, and doesn't keep it going around in circles. And for the love of fuck, don't bring in arbitrary, unnecessary elements that have nothing to do with this discussion (such as Nintendo's F2P ventures, or what Cuthbert thinks is a bluff- again, WTF). If you can't do that, don't bother, but I'm done expending my mental energy on such a remarkably, spectacularly circular and pointless argument where you your only strategy to argue is 'Metroid is canceled because.'

#180 Posted by nintendoboy16 (28044 posts) -

@charizard1605: I brought up the F2P thing, because god forbid I use an example of how Nintendo can sometimes be unpredictable in bad ways and in every topic they are involved in, no less. Surely YOU of all people have realized that based on some of the past arguments we had over what they have done in the... well, past. Who's to say they won't act the same for your beliefs on that Metroid isn't put on the back burner?

If you seriously don't want to continue this argument, then fine. But like I said, I WANT to be proven wrong on Metroid's status and ONLY Nintendo can prove that. And for fairness, I won't bring it up anymore.

#181 Posted by Mr-Kutaragi (2462 posts) -

Yes I love this game and even have soundtrack of it. I wish they use same asset and everything to make sequel. Metroid prime good too.

#182 Posted by glimpus (2306 posts) -

This is one of the great SNES games I never got a chance to play. Maybe I'll pick it up on the Wii-U VC, people rave about it. Just got Earthbound, now I get to see what the hypes all about.

#183 Posted by TheEroica (14463 posts) -

The should remaster it.... Then let McShea mcduck it up.

#184 Edited by Boddicker (3099 posts) -

I thought you were going to say DOOM 2

:-(

#185 Edited by stuff238 (948 posts) -

You made an error dude. Tetris is like 30 years old. Not 20.

#186 Posted by sHaDyCuBe321 (4256 posts) -

@xboxdone74 said:

@jdc6305 said:

@xboxdone74 said:

actually I think the last of us is coming up on its first birthday this June.

I couldn't even bring myself to finish TLOU. The game bored me to death. The game had what 3 different enemies? It's seriously lacked creativity.

Sure you did, bud. We all know you didn't play it. And at any rate...being the most awarded game of all time, trumps your opinion.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/01/24/the-last-of-us-is-the-most-awarded-game-in-history-by-critics/

Because clearly the video game medium was as wide-spread, acknowledged, and celebrated in 1994 as it was today right? At least have a GOOD argument.

TLOU is an amazing game. I actually think the multiplayer is what elevated it to amazing as the single player, after one play through, left me feeling like it didn't do anything revolutionary. However, despite it being a great overall experience, the story and cinematic presentation was what held that game together. The gameplay was nothing that hadn't been done before.

Gameplay > __________

Super Metroid > TLOU

Hell so are OoT and LttP

#187 Posted by XboxDone74 (2116 posts) -

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@xboxdone74 said:

@jdc6305 said:

@xboxdone74 said:

actually I think the last of us is coming up on its first birthday this June.

I couldn't even bring myself to finish TLOU. The game bored me to death. The game had what 3 different enemies? It's seriously lacked creativity.

Sure you did, bud. We all know you didn't play it. And at any rate...being the most awarded game of all time, trumps your opinion.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/01/24/the-last-of-us-is-the-most-awarded-game-in-history-by-critics/

Because clearly the video game medium was as wide-spread, acknowledged, and celebrated in 1994 as it was today right? At least have a GOOD argument.

TLOU is an amazing game. I actually think the multiplayer is what elevated it to amazing as the single player, after one play through, left me feeling like it didn't do anything revolutionary. However, despite it being a great overall experience, the story and cinematic presentation was what held that game together. The gameplay was nothing that hadn't been done before.

Gameplay > __________

Super Metroid > TLOU

Hell so are OoT and LttP

Stay mad, son. As of now... it's the most awarded game. Super Metroid? gtfo. Deal with it.

#188 Posted by foxhound_fox (90798 posts) -

*bows*

Super Metroid speed running at one point was my religion. Probably went through the game 3-4 times a day for weeks in the summer of 2005 (I think?).

#189 Edited by kingjazziephiz (2461 posts) -

@xboxdone74: but how is he mad?

#190 Posted by darkmark91 (2913 posts) -

@Sword-Demon said:

@darkmark91 said:

Reading those Logs in the Prime games is NO way to tell a story... (I am being attacked by Aliens! I am not going to STOP the action to read...)

Completely disagree.

Reading about how the planet became the way it was, from the perspectives of both the Space Pirates as well as the Chozo was amazing. Plus the game had outstanding atmosphere, which had its own form of storytelling.

Let me rephrase that part so it makes more sense. It is no way of telling a story "efficiently". I actually found those logs very intriguing however, how many players actually sat down and read them ALL(some of them can be missed and never be scanned again)? Like 12 people? MORE than half the players skipped right through those logs, thus had no idea what the story was about. Therefore, they failed to "tell" the story because they couldn't "efficiently" capture the audience to go read the logs.

As for the atmosphere, that just sets the mood. Atmosphere alone cannot tell a story, it is more of an aid to the story. Actions and events are what drive a story forward. The atmosphere would just be something to set the tone of the environment.

#191 Edited by ryangcnx-2 (1300 posts) -

@locopatho said:

Definitely one of the best games of all time. Never played it when younger, only on Wii VC. Good god what a game.

Think SNES was the best "Big Three" set: Super Mario World (and 2 and Allstars), Super Metroid, and The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past. Tough to beat that! (Though the Wii's Mario Galaxy 1 + 2, Prime Trilogy, and two Zelda's come close. Let down by weaker Zeldas and Other M :P)

Don't forget Donkey Kong Country 1-3 and FF3 (6) was on the SNES as well, Chrono trigger too. SNES had SOOO many classics on it. And while maybe not a AAA classic, I still loved Turtles in Time on the snes.

#192 Posted by clr84651 (5545 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@notrolling said:

ahahahahahahaha...

Nintendo crap.

The Last of Us is the greatest game of all time and only available on the PS3. The definitive edition on the PS4 soon.

Source?

It's rumored to come to PS4 this summer and Beyond 2 Souls. Nothing has been confirmed by the game devs or Sony.

#193 Posted by blackace (21405 posts) -

@charizard1605: i was thinking Tetris at first, but I think Tetris is like 25 years old. Let me check real quick.
Nope, I was wrong. Tetris will be 30years old on June 6, 2014. It was released in the USSR by Alexey Pajitnov & Vladimir Pokhilko on June 6, 1984.

I still loved Super Metroid. I never finished the game however. I beat the first game though. I need to drag my SNES out and play these older games before I sell them all.

#194 Posted by blackace (21405 posts) -

@AzatiS said:

@locopatho said:

@AzatiS said:

Mark Cerny did two innovative arcade games back in the 80's with Marble Madness & Major Havok. There were no games like these in the arcade when he made them. Very original. This is one of several reasons I still have respect for this guy. I don't know what he was thinking when he made Knack however. If I had to make a Top 100 arcade games list, these two games would probably be in my Top 25.

#195 Posted by GarGx1 (3370 posts) -

Never played Metroid games...ever, even when I worked in a game shop in the mid 90's.

Not really sure how I've managed to completely avoid the entire I.P. in 38 years of gaming?

#196 Posted by KingsofQueens (2246 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@notrolling said:

ahahahahahahaha...

Nintendo crap.

You're an idiot.

He was just a sperm in his daddy's testicle back then, what do you expect?

#197 Edited by AzatiS (8131 posts) -

@blackace said:

@AzatiS said:

@locopatho said:

@AzatiS said:

Mark Cerny did two innovative arcade games back in the 80's with Marble Madness & Major Havok. There were no games like these in the arcade when he made them. Very original. This is one of several reasons I still have respect for this guy. I don't know what he was thinking when he made Knack however. If I had to make a Top 100 arcade games list, these two games would probably be in my Top 25.

wow , i didnt know about those 2.

I started play in arcades late 80s ( as a small child , was lucky enough to have an arcade next to my house and the owner was a friend of my father so i was spending all my evenings in there after school and all ). I was also young i think im missing some games also ( dont remember them ). But definitly i never met those 2 in there. Interesting games considering they released in 83 !!

#198 Posted by jdc6305 (4021 posts) -

@KingsofQueens said:

@charizard1605 said:

@notrolling said:

ahahahahahahaha...

Nintendo crap.

You're an idiot.

He was just a sperm in his daddy's testicle back then, what do you expect?

The best part of him ran down his moms leg and became a stain.

#199 Posted by Lucianu (9571 posts) -

Took me three tries to kill off Kraid, great boss. Felt so nice finally advancing some more in this game.

#200 Edited by Lucianu (9571 posts) -

@ryangcnx-2 said:

@locopatho said:

Definitely one of the best games of all time. Never played it when younger, only on Wii VC. Good god what a game.

Think SNES was the best "Big Three" set: Super Mario World (and 2 and Allstars), Super Metroid, and The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past. Tough to beat that! (Though the Wii's Mario Galaxy 1 + 2, Prime Trilogy, and two Zelda's come close. Let down by weaker Zeldas and Other M :P)

Don't forget Donkey Kong Country 1-3 and FF3 (6) was on the SNES as well, Chrono trigger too. SNES had SOOO many classics on it. And while maybe not a AAA classic, I still loved Turtles in Time on the snes.

The SNES is the greatest console of all times once you get into its imports.