The greatest game of all time is twenty years old today

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#101 Posted by fend_oblivion (6113 posts) -

Sure, it's only 19 years old, but Chrono Trigger is the best.

#102 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24844 posts) -

And 0 fraks given about the Metroidvania genre, fyi Persona 4 is one of the highest rated jrpgs of all time (only 2 out score it) while TLOU has shown Survival (I don't really call it Survival Horror) still can try new things whether it's story telling, character interaction/progression just to name a few.

0? Really? Super Metroid completely MADE a new Genre that is INSPIRING games of today's day and age.

Persona 4 just took what Persona 3 did and up the ante a bit and The Last of Us just took what Uncharted did and up the ante a bit.

Those two despite being some of the greatest games of all time did NOT make an Entire new Genre. Super Metroid did that. There's a difference between Innovation and Evolution. Persona 4 and The Last of Us are examples of Evolution, not Innovation.

Can't blame them. I'm not saying I like a lacking Metroid (I don't, I'm a fan of the series and want to see it active again... as long as it's from a developer who's NOT Retro), but considering the damage around Other M. It's best the series stays on the down low for now. It may take years for a new game, but if Kid Icarus can eventually come back like it did...

Other M didn't "kill" the franchise. If I remember correctly the Metroid Prime Series was in a decline before Other M.

#103 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

actually I think the last of us is coming up on its first birthday this June.

#104 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

Nah, we still have 3 years to go. Final Fantasy VII didn't release until 1997.

#105 Posted by StormyJoe (4846 posts) -

@charizard1605: Diagree. Metroid was more revolutionary than Super Metroid.

#106 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26257 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

Can't blame them. I'm not saying I like a lacking Metroid (I don't, I'm a fan of the series and want to see it active again... as long as it's from a developer who's NOT Retro), but considering the damage around Other M. It's best the series stays on the down low for now. It may take years for a new game, but if Kid Icarus can eventually come back like it did...

Other M didn't "kill" the franchise. If I remember correctly the Metroid Prime Series was in a decline before Other M.

Well, whether or not Metroid in particular is dead is depending on who you talk to. Regardless, as I noted before, it seems Nintendo is putting that series into Star Fox/F-Zero territory after the reaction around Other M.

#107 Edited by charizard1605 (55955 posts) -

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

Well, whether or not Metroid in particular is dead is depending on who you talk to. Regardless, as I noted before, it seems Nintendo is putting that series into Star Fox/F-Zero territory after the reaction around Other M.

Regardless, as I noted before, as always you have nothing but your own paranoid speculation to back this up.

#108 Posted by charizard1605 (55955 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@SNIPER4321 said:

No its not. please not. no childish game would consider greatest game of all time

a) LOL SUPER METROID IS NOT CHILDISH

b) LOL AT WHAT THE FUCK YOU JUST SAID

c) LOL AT YOU

just like every nintendo game its childish. cartoonish game.

Shows how much you know. Not that we needed a reminder.

#109 Posted by Pikminmaniac (8758 posts) -

It's really hard to deny that this game is one of the best in the history of this medium. It's an absolute masterpiece.

#110 Edited by arkephonic (6239 posts) -

I own the physical copy, in mint condition no less. I'll play it on one of my 3 mint condition Snes consoles today, 2 of which are mini and 1 classic.

#111 Edited by edwardecl (2100 posts) -

There is no greatest game of all time... games are constantly evolving and getting better. Most games 20 years old or even 10 years old would be taken the piss out of if released today.

My personal greatest game is UFO: Enemy Unknown, if they could recreate that following the formula 100% with improvements (not gameplay changes) then it would still stand today, a game has to be rather special to do that. What lets it down today is that it had flaws, and the graphics and UI are shit and there are a load of games out there that are as good in different ways. although I do still look for stuff like OpenXcom from time to time because there is literally no game like it.

Settlers (not the sequels) also holds a dear place in my heart, because it is so unique and hasn't even been bested by any of the sequels. Again there is stuff like Widelands that tries to recreate a lot of what it did right because the original developers don't seem to get why the game was good in the first place.

Also X3 (egosoft) deserves a mention, it does stuff like no other game out there... but they have fallen into the same trap of not getting why it was good and releases another game that is a total piece of crap.

It's annoying :(.

#112 Posted by MirkoS77 (7119 posts) -

Was 16 when I first played Super Metroid. It was one of those "9/11" type events in relevance to my interest in gaming. Before I played it, gaming was a passing hobby. SM solidified it and cemented me as always being a gamer from that point on. Easily my favorite Nintendo game ever, and a large reason as to why I still play. And it's aged remarkably well.

#113 Posted by MirkoS77 (7119 posts) -

@TigerSuperman: "Along with that, the game is repetitive, to me. The movement and attacks of Samus, are not smooth. In fact, it can get annoying in certain areas. They could have done a better job with the fluidity of the controls.

Basically, I am not a fan of a game who's play time is almost solely based on artificial means mostly using level design and backtracking, along with below average controls."

What in God's name are you talking about? Have you even watched any speed runs of Super Metroid before? The controls and gameplay are flawless. They are so good in fact that people have been able to sequence break the game for being too quick.

Honestly, I can't think of any game with more fluid controls than Super Metroid.

#114 Posted by HadOne2Many (1228 posts) -

Top 10 for me, 3 more years for the true GOAT 20th Anny.

This guy gets it.

#115 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26257 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

Regardless, as I noted before, as always you have nothing but your own paranoid speculation to back this up.

Because seeing similar signs with the other two IP's is paranoia? They mentioned Star Fox before, but never made a new game (not counting a remake of a remake). They mentioned F-Zero before, they never made a new game. Thus far, I'm seeing similar teases with Metroid. Sure, you commonly use the argument that Nintendo never announced a hiatus everytime I bring it up, but even those can be quiet. Though I wouldn't be surprised if someone at Nintendo announced why a new Metroid hasn't come along in recent memory (where they did Star Fox/F-Zero).

If a new Metroid is announced by next E3 or special ND, then I will admit to being wrong and that my feelings were way off. Until then, I'm standing by.

#116 Posted by Venom951 (365 posts) -

@notrolling: I really enjoyed The last of us but it was highly overrated and not even close to being the greatest game of all time ,I don't know how old you are but to say something like that you must be pretty young. Anyways I remember this game making me mad back in the day had some tough points but was really rewarding for me to beat ! : D

#117 Posted by jdc6305 (3802 posts) -

I couldn't even bring myself to finish TLOU. The game bored me to death. The game had what 3 different enemies? It's seriously lacked creativity.

#118 Posted by Aljosa23 (24711 posts) -

That's not Resident Evil 4.

#119 Posted by charizard1605 (55955 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

Because seeing similar signs with the other two IP's is paranoia? They mentioned Star Fox before, but never made a new game (not counting a remake of a remake). They mentioned F-Zero before, they never made a new game. Thus far, I'm seeing similar teases with Metroid. Sure, you commonly use the argument that Nintendo never announced a hiatus everytime I bring it up, but even those can be quiet. Though I wouldn't be surprised if someone at Nintendo announced why a new Metroid hasn't come along in recent memory (where they did Star Fox/F-Zero).

If a new Metroid is announced by next E3 or special ND, then I will admit to being wrong and that my feelings were way off. Until then, I'm standing by.

Stand by, but I don't know, maybe you would have some grounds for these feelings if it hadn't been, oh I don't know, three years since the last installment. Which is the average time a series usually has between installments. Fucking hell, Super Smash Bros. goes similarly quiet after every release, it's not even referenced, do you think it's on hiatus then too? Or Animal Crossing, which has a similarly long period between installments and announcements?

If this were 2016, and a Metroid game still hadn't been announced, you know what, I'd jump aboard the 'oh noez, Nintendo abandoned Metroid' train. But it's been three years. Get some perspective.

#120 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26257 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

Stand by, but I don't know, maybe you would have some grounds for these feelings if it hadn't been, oh I don't know, three years since the last installment.Which is the average time a series usually has between installments. Fucking hell, Super Smash Bros. goes similarly quiet after every release, it's not even referenced, do you think it's on hiatus then too? Or Animal Crossing, which has a similarly long period between installments and announcements?

If this were 2016, and a Metroid game still hadn't been announced, you know what, I'd jump aboard the 'oh noez, Nintendo abandoned Metroid' train. But it's been three years. Get some perspective.

Smash Bros., a series that has always been released once each gen? Animal Crossing, a series that gets one release EACH hardware, no matter the console or handheld? Surely, you could find better comparisons than those. Since Prime and Fusion, Metroid had more fluent releases up until 2007 (Prime 3), 2010 if you count the Prime Trilogy re-release.

Here's the list of them:

Metroid Prime and Fusion (2002)

Metroid: Zero Mission and Prime 2 (2004)

Metroid Prime Pinball (2005)

Metroid Prime Hunters (2006)

Metroid Prime 3 (2007)

Metroid Other M (2010)

#121 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26314 posts) -

Game was a good ol time.

#122 Edited by charizard1605 (55955 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

Stand by, but I don't know, maybe you would have some grounds for these feelings if it hadn't been, oh I don't know, three years since the last installment.Which is the average time a series usually has between installments. Fucking hell, Super Smash Bros. goes similarly quiet after every release, it's not even referenced, do you think it's on hiatus then too? Or Animal Crossing, which has a similarly long period between installments and announcements?

Smash Bros., a series that has always been released once each gen? Animal Crossing, a series that gets one release EACH hardware, no matter the console or handheld? Surely, you could find better comparisons than those. Since Prime and Fusion, Metroid had more fluent releases up until 2007 (Prime 3), 2010 if you count the Prime Trilogy re-release.

Here's the list of them:

Metroid Prime and Fusion (2002)

Metroid: Zero Mission and Prime 2 (2004)

Metroid Prime Pinball (2005)

Metroid Prime Hunters (2006)

Metroid Prime 3 (2007)

Metroid Other M (2010)

I see. So a series is taking longer between installments- just a little longer, mind you- and it's on hiatus now.

Maybe they decided they don't want to dilute Metroid by releasing a pinball spin off? Maybe they've ditched releasing Metroid on handhelds altogether (very likely since the last one was eight years ago, and on the whole, the reception of the handheld games has always been muted)?

Once again, I am not quite sure where one instance of a slightly delayed installment- for a series which is always resource rich, mind you, with a fully free form open world, and graphically demanding on top of that- is suddenly cause to go all 'oh noez, Metroid is on hiatus for sure!!!1!'

It's Nintendo's first HD Metroid. Maybe it's taking more time than expected. In fact, it almost certainly is. Maybe they are willing to only tease it (and boy do they fucking tease it) but not actually release any gameplay footage or whatever because they understand with a franchise as oriented towards the core, first impressions mean everything, and it's important that it be in an optimal state before they show it off. The jump to HD development is difficult. We saw this for six years. Nintendo got there now, and they are having to deal with it now. In fact, we know they are having trouble with HD development, because they have admitted to it themselves.

Use your head. Be rational. Use some logic instead of jumping to conclusions.

As an aside, neither F-Zero nor Star Fox ever had the same level of prestige, nor critical reception, nor sales, that Metroid does. Fuck, I think a single Metroid game might actually have outsold the entire F-Zero series so far put together. Discontinuing those series makes sense. What does not make sense is discontinuing a series that regularly posts respectable sales number, if nothing out of the world, but which has insane appeal especially to the hardcore market which otherwise remains so elusive to Nintendo, and which has the brand power and prestige that Metroid does.

#123 Posted by DaBrainz (7627 posts) -

These 2D metroids are my favorites. I don't think there has been one since fusion. I hope they do a new super Metroid in the fashion of NSMB.

#124 Posted by charizard1605 (55955 posts) -

@DaBrainz said:

These 2D metroids are my favorites. I don't think there has been one since fusion. I hope they do a new super Metroid in the fashion of NSMB.

Zero Mission in 2004.

Also, goodness no. I want a new 2D Metroid, but not in the style of New Super Mario Bros. Please no.

#125 Posted by DaBrainz (7627 posts) -

@DaBrainz said:

Zero Mission in 2004.

Also, goodness no. I want a new 2D Metroid, but not in the style of New Super Mario Bros. Please no.

I didn't mean style. I meant that I hope the make a fleshed out 2D Metroid game on a console with updated graphics.

Similar how NSMB was a fleshed out 2D Mario game with updated graphics.

and zero was just a remake, I don't count it.

#126 Posted by jsmoke03 (12727 posts) -

never played it...but i do have a super nintendo now

#127 Edited by VendettaRed07 (13998 posts) -

Not even the best Metroid.

Prime surpassed it imo.

#128 Posted by locopatho (20177 posts) -

@locopatho said:

@notrolling said:

ahahahahahahaha...

Nintendo crap.

The Last of Us is the greatest game of all time and only available on the PS3. The definitive edition on the PS4 soon.

Ew 8.0. Get that low standard crap away.

Skyward Sword got a 7.5 lol

And it's even worse.

#129 Posted by AppleFan1991 (3037 posts) -

@WadeFan said:

I was going to come and drop a "Uncharted 2 isn't that old" comment but then I saw which game you are talking about...and I just can't do it. Super Metroid was SO good. I remember being like 2 years old and crying because I couldn't beat frickin' Crocomire. Still hate that thing lol. #NostalgiaGasm

How do you remember being 2 years old?... Seriously I can't remember past primary school where I was around 5-6 years old. Not saying I don't believe you... I'm just impressed and upset that I can't :(.

I don't remember everything lol. I just remember stuff that was "big" or "important" during that time. Like for example, Super Metroid was my first video game, I remember when my mom broke her arm when I was 3. But I don't remember much beyond those 2 things haha.

#130 Edited by 93BlackHawk93 (5289 posts) -

Best Metroid ever!

#131 Posted by nini200 (9572 posts) -

Agreed 100% Char. Super Metroid is the greatest game of all time.

#132 Edited by Ballroompirate (22554 posts) -

@Ballroompirate said:

And 0 fraks given about the Metroidvania genre, fyi Persona 4 is one of the highest rated jrpgs of all time (only 2 out score it) while TLOU has shown Survival (I don't really call it Survival Horror) still can try new things whether it's story telling, character interaction/progression just to name a few.

0? Really? Super Metroid completely MADE a new Genre that is INSPIRING games of today's day and age.

Persona 4 just took what Persona 3 did and up the ante a bit and The Last of Us just took what Uncharted did and up the ante a bit.

Those two despite being some of the greatest games of all time did NOT make an Entire new Genre. Super Metroid did that. There's a difference between Innovation and Evolution. Persona 4 and The Last of Us are examples of Evolution, not Innovation.

@nintendoboy16 said:

Sorry but stop being so ignorant and take that nostalgia feeling out of your ass it's embarrassing, for starters TLOU is nothing like Uncharted except it's made by ND. The Persona series shows it's getting better with each entry while other JRPG's seem to be on a decline with every entry. Innovation does not mean it's outright better than Evolution. I can tell you how many Metroidvania games are in my top 50 list, answer is 0.

#133 Posted by cainetao11 (16839 posts) -

No doubt a classic. Had it on VC and loved it.

#134 Posted by TigerSuperman (1976 posts) -

@Jag85 said:

It's also the 20th anniversary of Final Fantasy VI, one of the greatest RPG's.

lol.

#135 Posted by TigerSuperman (1976 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

@TigerSuperman: "Along with that, the game is repetitive, to me. The movement and attacks of Samus, are not smooth. In fact, it can get annoying in certain areas. They could have done a better job with the fluidity of the controls.

Basically, I am not a fan of a game who's play time is almost solely based on artificial means mostly using level design and backtracking, along with below average controls."

What in God's name are you talking about? Have you even watched any speed runs of Super Metroid before? The controls and gameplay are flawless. They are so good in fact that people have been able to sequence break the game for being too quick.

Honestly, I can't think of any game with more fluid controls than Super Metroid.

I lost you when you decided to say quick=quality and quick somehow=Good controls. I can beat BubsyiCEotFK quickly, doesn't mean it has good controls.

#136 Posted by Bigboi500 (29284 posts) -

I haven't played it yet. :(

There's no hope for you youngins.

#137 Posted by Zaraxius (205 posts) -

And you acknowledge that this game is a Nintendo exclusive, and therefore a console exclusive, right? How do you, as a PC gamer, feel missing out on such a great game?

#138 Posted by charizard1605 (55955 posts) -

@zaraxius said:

And you acknowledge that this game is a Nintendo exclusive, and therefore a console exclusive, right? How do you, as a PC gamer, feel missing out on such a great game?

I feel great, since I don't restrict myself to one platform and so miss out on nothing :)

#139 Posted by ___gamemaster__ (2412 posts) -

xenogear is the best game of all time. music, graphics, story telling. Man im missing the good ol PSX days not with these FPS crap we have today.

#140 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24844 posts) -

Sorry but stop being so ignorant and take that nostalgia feeling out of your ass it's embarrassing, for starters TLOU is nothing like Uncharted except it's made by ND. The Persona series shows it's getting better with each entry while other JRPG's seem to be on a decline with every entry. Innovation does not mean it's outright better than Evolution. I can tell you how many Metroidvania games are in my top 50 list, answer is 0.

Nostalgia. For a game I played and beat in 2010.

How about you get off Sony's horse and just look at the actual picture here. Persona 4 and The Last of Us are just doing what the industry has been doing for YEARS.

However what Super Metroid did is something that both The Last of Us and Persona 4 have not done and really we can't tell if they would because those two games are fairly recent (Persona 4 not as recent as The Last of Us, but a lot more so than Super Metroid) like I said, we may not have gotten Symphony of the Night if it weren't for Super Metroid and because of that we obtained A NEW GENRE. That completely changed face of the ENTIRE GAMING INDUSTRY.

The Last of Us was very cinematic and a wonderful game...and this was to be expected because it was made by Naughty Dog, the creators of the Award Winning Game Series Uncharted which was hailed as to be an awesome cinematic experience. The Last of Us took whatever experience Naughty Dog had with Uncharted and made it into something better. Did it revolutionize the Survival Horror Genre? I have yet to see it, but If TLoU did anything it just showed people that a game can have the same content that a book or a movie would give you.

Persona 4 like I said, amazing game, but really all it did was take Persona 3's innovation to the series and rolled with it.

#141 Posted by Seabas989 (10097 posts) -

It's not the G.O.A.T. but it's one of the few games that I would rate a 10/10.

1994 was an awesome year in gaming.

#142 Posted by Ballroompirate (22554 posts) -

@Ballroompirate said:

Nostalgia. For a game I played and beat in 2010.

How about you get off Sony's horse and just look at the actual picture here. Persona 4 and The Last of Us are just doing what the industry has been doing for YEARS.

However what Super Metroid did is something that both The Last of Us and Persona 4 have not done and really we can't tell if they would because those two games are fairly recent (Persona 4 not as recent as The Last of Us, but a lot more so than Super Metroid) like I said, we may not have gotten Symphony of the Night if it weren't for Super Metroid and because of that we obtained A NEW GENRE. That completely changed face of the ENTIRE GAMING INDUSTRY.

The Last of Us was very cinematic and a wonderful game...and this was to be expected because it was made by Naughty Dog, the creators of the Award Winning Game Series Uncharted which was hailed as to be an awesome cinematic experience. The Last of Us took whatever experience Naughty Dog had with Uncharted and made it into something better. Did it revolutionize the Survival Horror Genre? I have yet to see it, but If TLoU did anything it just showed people that a game can have the same content that a book or a movie would give you.

Persona 4 like I said, amazing game, but really all it did was take Persona 3's innovation to the series and rolled with it.

Wow ignorance is pretty strong with you, FF put JRPG's on the map, does that mean FF1 is a GOAT? no, Pong is the father of video games, should we put that as a GOAT? no. So get off your high horse cause it's pathetic and it's making you look like a tool. Creating something new doesn't mean it's amazing and I give 0 shyts about Super Metroid, the Metroidvania genre and Castlevania SotN, same with numerous other people on here and in the gaming community so deal with it.

#143 Edited by MirkoS77 (7119 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

I lost you when you decided to say quick=quality and quick somehow=Good controls. I can beat BubsyiCEotFK quickly, doesn't mean it has good controls.

My point being that speed runs of SM require such precision and responsiveness to complete that they could hardly be described as "below average" and "non-fluid". They're some of the best controls out there I've ever played in a game.

#144 Posted by darkmark91 (2853 posts) -

Or, well, one of them anyway

This is Nintendo at its peak- its pinnacle, showcasing what it does best: pure game design. Incredible graphics, amazing storytelling, and arguably the greatest atmosphere and music of all time only add to the amazingness of the game design.

You know, if you haven't already played this game, go buy it on the Virtual Console and play it. See what alll the hype is about. I guarantee you, it's worth it.

If you have? Then play it again. Super Metroid deserves some celebration on its twentieth birthday.

I absolutely LOVE the game. But I have to respectfully ask what "amazing" story was told? There was like a 5 min intro and that pretty much was it. If you REALLY want to analyze the ending on how the Last Metroid sacrificed its life at the end. But really, who "cared" for that flying piece of jelly? There was almost no character development between Samus and the Last Metroid.

If you want to talk about stories in Metroid games I am going to have to give the Medal to Other M. That's right I said it, Other M had the best story in a Metroid game. This is pretty much the only Metroid game that had real story telling. Reading those Logs in the Prime games is NO way to tell a story... (I am being attacked by Aliens! I am not going to STOP the action to read...) Prime 3 tried to add a narrative with the voice acting, but there were no twists that made it interesting or captivating.

I don't see why all you guys keep complaining about Other M's story and voice acting. I will agree the gameplay could have been a little better. However, for a Metroid game the story was phenomenal. A lot of you guys complain about the voice acting saying she sounded too emotionless, and then say she becomes extremely emotional at certain points. It really doesn't take a genius to figure out what’s going on with Samus’s character. And no, she is not bipolar… Her back story is being a woman with a tough life (after all, her parents died because space pirates). She tried to mask all the pain from her childhood by giving off “tough boy” vibe so people wouldn't think as her as some fragile girl who needs to be taken care of. But then at some points in the game the emotions get the best of her and come out. And there should be nothing wrong with that, she is human after all. And even bad ass people get emotional.

You guys also have the argument “bu-bu-but she never b*itched all the other times when she saw Ridley!!!!111!!one!!!” How do you know if she did or not? There was no narrative or “story telling” going on in those fights in the other games, which would have gave us insight on how she felt at the time. Other M's story was actually pretty decent, with the secret traitor killing off people. It kept you guessing on who it was. And there were actually some twists in the game to keep the story interesting.

And lastly how many times can Samus LOSE all her weapons… Whether she “obtained” or was “authorized” to use the Gravity Suit (or whatever else) does not change the facts the developers didn't want you to have access to an area until a certain task was accomplished. Samus wanted to take the road less travel and follow Adam's orders to show her obedience to him.

TL:DR

There barely is a story in Super Metroid. Other M had a good story, you guys need to stop complaining about it, and open your eyes.

#145 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

@jdc6305 said:

@xboxdone74 said:

I couldn't even bring myself to finish TLOU. The game bored me to death. The game had what 3 different enemies? It's seriously lacked creativity.

Sure you did, bud. We all know you didn't play it. And at any rate...being the most awarded game of all time, trumps your opinion.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/01/24/the-last-of-us-is-the-most-awarded-game-in-history-by-critics/

#146 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (1343 posts) -

ahahahahahahaha...

Nintendo crap.

The Last of Us is the greatest game of all time and only available on the PS3. The definitive edition on the PS4 soon.

you must be 12 years old.

#147 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (5289 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

Or, well, one of them anyway

This is Nintendo at its peak- its pinnacle, showcasing what it does best: pure game design. Incredible graphics, amazing storytelling, and arguably the greatest atmosphere and music of all time only add to the amazingness of the game design.

You know, if you haven't already played this game, go buy it on the Virtual Console and play it. See what alll the hype is about. I guarantee you, it's worth it.

If you have? Then play it again. Super Metroid deserves some celebration on its twentieth birthday.

I absolutely LOVE the game. But I have to respectfully ask what "amazing" story was told? There was like a 5 min intro and that pretty much was it. If you REALLY want to analyze the ending on how the Last Metroid sacrificed its life at the end. But really, who "cared" for that flying piece of jelly? There was almost no character development between Samus and the Last Metroid.

If you want to talk about stories in Metroid games I am going to have to give the Medal to Other M. That's right I said it, Other M had the best story in a Metroid game. This is pretty much the only Metroid game that had real story telling. Reading those Logs in the Prime games is NO way to tell a story... (I am being attacked by Aliens! I am not going to STOP the action to read...) Prime 3 tried to add a narrative with the voice acting, but there were no twists that made it interesting or captivating.

I don't see why all you guys keep complaining about Other M's story and voice acting. I will agree the gameplay could have been a little better. However, for a Metroid game the story was phenomenal. A lot of you guys complain about the voice acting saying she sounded too emotionless, and then say she becomes extremely emotional at certain points. It really doesn't take a genius to figure out what’s going on with Samus’s character. And no, she is not bipolar… Her back story is being a woman with a tough life (after all, her parents died because space pirates). She tried to mask all the pain from her childhood by giving off “tough boy” vibe so people wouldn't think as her as some fragile girl who needs to be taken care of. But then at some points in the game the emotions get the best of her and come out. And there should be nothing wrong with that, she is human after all. And even bad ass people get emotional.

You guys also have the argument “bu-bu-but she never b*itched all the other times when she saw Ridley!!!!111!!one!!!” How do you know if she did or not? There was no narrative or “story telling” going on in those fights in the other games, which would have gave us insight on how she felt at the time. Other M's story was actually pretty decent, with the secret traitor killing off people. It kept you guessing on who it was. And there were actually some twists in the game to keep the story interesting.

And lastly how many times can Samus LOSE all her weapons… Whether she “obtained” or was “authorized” to use the Gravity Suit (or whatever else) does not change the facts the developers didn't want you to have access to an area until a certain task was accomplished. Samus wanted to take the road less travel and follow Adam's orders to show her obedience to him.

TL:DR

There barely is a story in Super Metroid. Other M had a good story, you guys need to stop complaining about it, and open your eyes.

About Samus personality, her father complex is explained in the manga (canon) and she has PTSD so I agree with you.

#148 Posted by jdc6305 (3802 posts) -

@jdc6305 said:

@xboxdone74 said:

Sure you did, bud. We all know you didn't play it. And at any rate...being the most awarded game of all time, trumps your opinion.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/01/24/the-last-of-us-is-the-most-awarded-game-in-history-by-critics/

Why don't use look at my game collection. I have over 70 ps3 games. I quit playing shortly after reaching the university. I got sick of sneaking up on dumb clickers and shiving them. The enemy variety and AI were horrible. Most over hyped game of the generation. The story was it's only redeeming quality. If I want a good story I'll watch a movie. I don't play games for the story.

#149 Posted by gamespot4life (1215 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@notrolling said:

ahahahahahahaha...

Nintendo crap.

Source?

Nintendo Crap? you must be young

#150 Posted by gamespot4life (1215 posts) -

Super Metroid = Chrono Trigger . thats all I will say about that.

But god I couldnt tell you how much fun I also had wioth super Mario Bros and Killer Instinct. SNES was the best console ever followed by the PS1