The Gospel of Malstrom, e-Sports and Nintendo's e3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

Link

Nintendo has recently announced the return of Nintendo World Championship Event (or whatever it is called). Go to the Nintendo page to find out more. There is a silly skit with Reggie. I enjoy the skit, but it becomes more distracting than anything. I also think it is a business mistake to use real people as ‘characters’ such as “Reggie” or “Miyamoto” or “Iwata”. The reason why is that “Reggie”, “Miyamoto”, and “Iwata” will grow old, retire, and die. But Mario, Link, and Samus do not age (thank God Samus does not age. The Perfect Woman!!!!). This is why I so love the Dos Equis ‘most interesting man in the world’ marketing because while the actor may grow old and die, the character is eternal. This is why I dislike celebrity endorsements as well. The celebrity may go to jail or say something stupid.

That said, I have been wondering what has been missing at Nintendo lately. I then thought of an Iwata Asks interview long ago when Iwata interviewed someone at Nintendo who went over to Capcom to help make the Capcom Zelda games. Iwata asked, “How was it working with Capcom?” I’ll never forget the answer. He said: “They are different from us. They are much more sporty.”

Sports Psychology is an interesting concept when it comes to video games. With something like E-sports, it is not the video game that is relevant but the sports psychology of the players. When playing these games, the sports psychology is fun. By sports psychology, I mean the ‘sporty’ type behavior. It is a game. There are winners and losers. There is sportsmanship.

While I think many of the E-Sports game scenes can be ridiculous, the sports psychology is not. It also highlights perhaps the true reason why the NES Era of Nintendo is my favorite. It is the only period where Nintendo embraced sports psychology.

Steve Wozniak is the all-time Tetris high scorer in the Gameboy Version

AnthonyAutumns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 AnthonyAutumns
Member since 2014 • 1704 Posts
Thank you, Nintendo. Samus doesn't get Old.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 FireEmblem_Man

@anthonyautumns said:

I don't get it....

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FireEmblem_Man

In other words, the current state of e-Sports is shit, but Nintendo will fix that

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#5 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man: Please explain what do you mean by it being crap.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FireEmblem_Man

@hiphops_savior said:

@FireEmblem_Man: Please explain what do you mean by it being crap.

Read the gospel of Sean Malstrom as he has the answer. E-Sports lack the Sports Psychology, it's something that classic Arcade games and classic Nintendo gameplay has that today's modern games don't have

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

I understand what they're getting at, but I have nothing to actually add for disagree with.

"I also think it is a business mistake to use real people as ‘characters’ such as “Reggie” or “Miyamoto” or “Iwata”. The reason why is that “Reggie”, “Miyamoto”, and “Iwata” will grow old, retire, and die."

Um. Man, thats life. Everyone will grow old, retire and die... We're talking about a foolish commercial for an yearly event. I'm sure Reggie isn't going to hit Bugs Bunny or Mickey Mouse status. lol

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FireEmblem_Man

@TrappedInABox91 said:

I understand what they're getting at, but I have nothing to actually add for disagree with.

"I also think it is a business mistake to use real people as ‘characters’ such as “Reggie” or “Miyamoto” or “Iwata”. The reason why is that “Reggie”, “Miyamoto”, and “Iwata” will grow old, retire, and die."

Um. Man, thats life. Everyone will grow old, retire and die... We're talking about a foolish commercial for an yearly event. I'm sure Reggie isn't going to hit Bugs Bunny or Mickey Mouse status. lol

Comprehend this better

But Mario, Link, and Samus do not age (thank God Samus does not age. The Perfect Woman!!!!). This is why I so love the Dos Equis ‘most interesting man in the world’ marketing because while the actor may grow old and die, the character is ETERNAL